[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Really want a 1903 springfield for my next gun. I want a piece

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: springfield-rifle-1903-5.jpg (11KB, 648x185px) Image search: [Google]
springfield-rifle-1903-5.jpg
11KB, 648x185px
Really want a 1903 springfield for my next gun. I want a piece of history that fires readily available ammo that I can take to the range a lot.

What is considered a good price for one? On Gunbroker they range from 375-1500 dollars. What are some things to look out for when buying them? Where's the best place to find a good deal on one? should i look in pawn shops?
>>
>>31025297
$900 for a correct one is fair. Don't buy sporter garbage. Gunbroker, liberty tree, gun boards, and Simpsons are the most reliable places to look online.
>>
>>31026038
>900

Damn....guess I got into this hobby too late for cheap surplus :(
>>
>>31026664
Just like you were late to invest in google, facebook, the louisiana purchase. Deal with it.

If you want a decent shooter, you can save money by buying one with rough wood and decent barrel and switch it for a cmp stock. If not, you're going to be shelling out
>>
>>31026664
You can get cheap Mosins or Yugo Mausers

You're out of luck with the rest
>>
>>31026038
>>31026664

You can buy them for $600 - $800 all day long on Gunbroker.
Just don't buy the refinished or "pretty" ones. And bid on 4 different auctions, because you'll find that on one of those auctions, no one else will bid against you and you'll end up with a cheap gun.

Just last week I bought one for $625. Yeah, it had some dings, yeah, the finish has wear, but that's just history.
All the parts have the same worn finish, so looks like all the parts have been together for a very long time.

I don't have the rifle yet, so I don't have decent pictures.
>>
>>31025297
You can also look for a M1917 Enfield. They were used is higher number back in WW1 then the 1903 but isnt as popular.
Still chambered in 30-06 and a great gun.
>>
>>31025297
http://www.gibbsrifle.com/1903-a4_sniper_rifle_.html
>>
>>31025297
>I want a piece of history that fires readily available ammo that I can take to the range a lot.

I can't help with the 1903 bit, but there are a lot of South American Mausers (98 pattern) that got converted to .308 post-WW2. I'd avoid any of the 1895 Chileans and the like, but anything on the Mauser 98 pattern, like the Chilean 1912 Mauser carbine, will handle .308 just fine. They're a lot cheaper than the 1903.
>>
Are you looking for a high number or low number 1903? You can generally find the low numbered ones cheaper than the high number ones
>>
>>31025297
Any with a 6 digit serial starting with 8 and lower have less heat treatment in the bolt and are more likely to develop stress fractures with use. Not sure about price.
>>
>>31025297
whats a fair price for a non-matching one thats not sporterized? seems like i cant find a 1903 thats matching manufacturers, let alone serials.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.