[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /k/ i need some help. Im 20 years old and i've applied

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 10

File: 1471194312424.jpg (26KB, 351x364px) Image search: [Google]
1471194312424.jpg
26KB, 351x364px
Hey /k/ i need some help. Im 20 years old and i've applied to the military. Now the case is is that i dont know if ive made a mistake or not. i can still cancel my application but i feel like the benefits are too good too pass up. help me out
>>
>>31021695
Bump because I'm wondering too.
>>
Bump because i too am debating
>>
File: smf.gif (498KB, 500x230px) Image search: [Google]
smf.gif
498KB, 500x230px
>>31021695
I served 10 years. Twice in combat. I'm proud of that on it's own. But I lucked out. I'm about to kick the bucket unless I get an organ transplant. The Veteran's Administration is footing the entire bill. If I wasn't a vet, I'd be dead. They also give me $2,000 per month, so that is p-cool.

What other job will give you that for the rest of your life?
>>
Ceo of a mega company
>>
File: 1469316108409.jpg (60KB, 591x275px) Image search: [Google]
1469316108409.jpg
60KB, 591x275px
>>31021695
>>31021742
>>31021765

Absolutely no cons, as long as you

1. Dont fall for the "be a grunt ( SF, MP, Tanks, other cool sounding jobs that have no real world skills), and do cool shit" meme

2. ....actually that's really about all, as long as you don't do that you will be more than good.
>>
>>31022093
So what jobs would you recommend?
>>
>>31022154

Don't overthink this, though anything within the STEM field as that will pay good on the outside, once you decide to get out.

Find something that you at least would enjoy doing and that will make the time easier. If you want to practice tactics take a civilian course (chances are you will actually receive better training)
>>
>>31022093
im about to head into infantry. whats so bad about staying fit and shooting stuff?
>>
>>31022641

Also you know, asvab and branch will dictate your day to day life experience. (go AF, they literally throw money at you for training, travel, and general shit)

Also don't forget to sign up for the GI Bill, it will help with the hemorrhaging of money once you decide to go to college (because you will)
>>
File: 1470678821417.jpg (54KB, 958x660px) Image search: [Google]
1470678821417.jpg
54KB, 958x660px
>>31022669

Nothing, its also nothing that you cant do in a job that actually has a use for when you lose your youth and "x" branch decides that you aren't worth keeping around anymore due to the never ending influx of young bodies ready to fight.

If you want a taste o shit get a regular job and sign up for an augmentee (day in the life) program.

I know "the shit" is sexy, but you have to look to the future.
>>
File: 1470552846806.jpg (31KB, 400x280px) Image search: [Google]
1470552846806.jpg
31KB, 400x280px
>>31022669
>>31022723

Inversely you can walk the same path as countless other who thought they were going to be the best troop that they could be. (and with the upcoming elections i would hypothesize that you would probably see some combat during your contract) At the same time, having wasted my 20s on the experience i would suggest doing something else, lest you end up heading full steam towards your 30s with no real world skills, destiny bound for a dead end job to accompany your college debt.

<_< but you know, its your life and your path (that other people have lived before you)
>>
File: life shouldnt be this horrible.jpg (131KB, 600x772px) Image search: [Google]
life shouldnt be this horrible.jpg
131KB, 600x772px
>>31021695
>Should I sign my life over to politicians, to aid them in their conquests?
Please don't.
>>
File: 1470109771208.jpg (68KB, 677x782px) Image search: [Google]
1470109771208.jpg
68KB, 677x782px
>>31022828
^ this kinda thing is what i was saying about going combat arms a.k.a grunt(salt) life
>>
>>31022093
seriously this

I'm the youngest out of three brother who joined the military

1st brother joined Marines after 9/11
>infantry
>multiple tours
>never was the same
>addicted to pain pills after discharged
>always pissed about stuff
>major alcohol and gambling problem

middle joined Navy as naval intelligence
>had really good GPA
>went to a good school
joined navy after school
>got his school paid off and everything
>will make a career out of Navy life
>makes good money and has a nice family

me joined navy as aviation mechanic
>pretty decent job
>didnt stay too long
>got picked up by northrop gruman shortly after discharge
>have nice steady job with awesome benefits
>living inna San Diego with pretty ok house
>get to drink all sorts of craft beers with navy brother and talk shit about marine brother for being a fuck up

moral of the story is don't believe the POG shit the grunts give you. At least my wife didn't leave me for his best friend and didn't get a Dear John letter with a used condom of said ex and best friend
>>
File: laissez faire.jpg (88KB, 625x433px) Image search: [Google]
laissez faire.jpg
88KB, 625x433px
>>31022845
It doesn't matter whether or not you're a grunt. You join any branch and you're a pawn to the biggest pieces of shit on the planet. Go join a local gang; at least that way you can steal from people directly, which at least shows some courage.
>>
>>31022641
Oh I meant like specific MOS's while in
>>
File: 1470793610160.jpg (134KB, 850x680px) Image search: [Google]
1470793610160.jpg
134KB, 850x680px
>>31022994
Local gangs don't have good benefits. The fact of the matter is living anywhere in the world if you work for someone else you are making glory for their name and not your own, why not at least get well paid and have better benefits then the other 90% of people who were to "morally just" or flat out unable to support the all grinding machine. I acknowledge that i am a pawn, but at least i am a moderately well taken care of pawn with 30 days of paid vacation, full medical coverage,life insurance, near free college(free college if you go to a community college), housing and meals paid for on top of my standard work pay, vaguely well taken care of pawn. You know, instead of just a "courageous" person living day to day wondering if i can afford to pay the internet bill next month or maybe one day get that cavity filled.
>>
>>31023043

I take it by "MOS" you decided that the big green weenie of the army would be a good choice?

I myself cant give any proper input on that as i have only worked with army grunts. Again though everything you can qualify for will be dictated by your ASVAB score and the list of jobs you can get will be limited by it as well (score a 99 and you should be good). If you can manage to get a TS job in an intel field or something with system administration you would be set though as you can take that training to the outside or get out and come back in as a civilian contractor and make even more DOSH.
>>
>>31021695
Depends on the country, but generally in "the West" you get benefits during and after, military experience, and some adventure if you're not in a meme force. Death is also very unlikely statistically regardless of the branch. Being a roofer or a firefighter is way worst in that regard.

If you don't go for very romantic/ideological reason you should fair well and be satisfied with the experience.
>>
>>31021816

What kind of organ transplant?
>>
>>31023325
Liver
>>
>>31021695

Bro, you're gonna love it.
>>
File: image.jpg (66KB, 355x500px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
66KB, 355x500px
>>31021695
Be glad its not area 88
>>
>>31021695
>the military

Being a POG in the chairforce is a totallt different situation to being an army grunt. This is a decision that you alone need to make, hell, I am at the same stage you are, but I am certainly not going to be asking autists on the internet about it.
Listen to your emotions, listen to your parents/friends, and listen to your recruiter/army mates, from all of those, draw an opinion and stick to it until PROVEN wrong.
At worst, it's 4 fucking years anon, chances are good that you did 14 of school, so just remember that once you get out it will feel short.

Don't take life too seriously anon, no one makes it out alive.
>>
>>31024212
From alcohol?
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.