[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just machined my first 80% lower, and I kinda fucked up...

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

File: 20160812_213751.jpg (309KB, 859x1279px) Image search: [Google]
20160812_213751.jpg
309KB, 859x1279px
I just machined my first 80% lower, and I kinda fucked up... I ended up drilling slightly too deep for the rough cut. Will the lower still work ok? I know the trigger spring sits along the bottom of that channel, but are the holes enough to mess that up? I'm not sure if I should go ahead and start building this up or if I should just suck it up and buy another 80% lower.
What do you /k/rackers think?
>>
>>31008897

No it's ruined throw it in the trash.
>>
>>31008897
Depth is the only problem? Fill that bitch back in with JB weld pussy.
>>
>>31008897
its fine
as long as you drilled the holes in the right spots and the trigger and hammer have enough space to move it will function
>>
>>31008926

That's not a bad idea. I could fill it back up and machine it all out again. Do i have to worry about the back holes? The trigger spring only sits on the surface torwards the magwell
>>
>>31008897
It's ruined forever op you should throw it in a UPS box and send it to me.
>>
>>31008926

This, this is what you need to do.

Fill in the holes, and then re mill it. Though for best finish get a new endmill that has never touched steel and has had minor work with aluminum. That will give the best finish.
>>
>>31008897
It will be fine.
>>
>>31008959
it really doesnt matter that much you could leave it as is
>>
Does anyone know where to get an 80% lower with the jig for a decent price? All the places I've looked are sold out
>>
File: logo.png (30KB, 154x200px) Image search: [Google]
logo.png
30KB, 154x200px
>>31009021

http://80percentarms.com/

Is where I got mine. It's around 200$ for the jig and tooling, and another 100ish for each lower. Me and a friend split the cost of the jig. Had to wait for about 3 weeks for the lowers though, they were really back ordered.
>>
>>31009021
http://shop.tacticalshit.com/gun-parts/rifle-lower-parts/80-lowers/80-forged-lower-with-jig
>>
>>31009058
>>31009066
Thanks guys
>>
>>31008897
The insides can look like garbage and it'll still work if it's still within spec. All of my 80% are shit becuase I decided to use a shit jig (fuck modulus BTW). They all still work perfectly fine.
>>
>>31009365
did you ever find a jig that worked well? is this what you used and didn't like? I'm looking at jigs, daytona tactical has one and also new frontier, pretty basic ones just the plates and hardware
>>
File: modulus.jpg (39KB, 777x406px)
modulus.jpg
39KB, 777x406px
>>31009814
fug, forgot pic.
>>
Send me that one and I'll send you a fresh one so you can try again. I'll even pay shipping.
>>
>>31009823
that looks like a horrible jig. too much modularity so it will fit any magwell
>>
>>31009814
Basically, the jig is a pain in the ass becuase you have to disassemble is for every fucking step. Tedious as hell. Second, the top plate is not reinforced, just plain ol aluminum, meaning if the shank of the end mill touches it even a little, it gets damaged.

After about 4 lowers, mine is essentially done. Asked to buy the top plate as a replacement and was told that my version was discontinued very early on, and that new top plate is not compatible with the side plates, so I'd have to buy 3 parts for 120 instead of just 1 part for 40. They told me to buy a new jig instead. Sucks to be an early adopter.

They do have a reinforced version now, but you're better off with 80% arms one if you're going to use router. The modulus works, I'm just irked by the shit Probably better customer service as well. Hell, modulus was kicked off calguns as a vendor becuase of some shady shit.

>>31009945
It doesn't even fit everything. I had to modify an EP mag to fit it. It's a good idea that was poorly implemented
>>
>>31008959
just fill the holes that are too deep with JB you fucknuckle
>>
>>31008976
Hello ATF man.
>>
>>31008897
it'll still be functional, it you care enough you can buy a drop in trigger pack
>>
>>31010530
did you not check between passes?
>>
>>31010775
i completed 2 polymer lowers, (#1 went too long on the trigger hole, #2 was perfect) and this was my first trial on aluminum.

went too far twice, my router really sucks, said "fuck it" and went all the way.

i've got a stick welder that'll take a kit to adapt to tig, when i care enough i'll weld it back up and rout it back down again.
until then, this one get's chalked up as a learning experience.
>>
Assuming there is space for all the components literally the only thing that matters is the correct spacing of the pins
>>
>>31009814
When I did mine I used a broken armory jig, it has cut always on it to the correct depths you need to set the drill stop to
>>
Does anyone sell a jig for 02/07 SOT FFLs to manufacture Title II weapons from 80% lowers? :^)
>>
>>31008953
^this
>>
>>31014267
No, that modification is easy enough to do without a jig, if you can't do it without a jig you shouldn't have a 02 SOT
>>
>>31010050
They make one with a steel top plate.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.