/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Around what time could modern weapons (e.g. Milled AK's,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: 1398744716579.jpg (412KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1398744716579.jpg
412KB, 1024x768px
Around what time could modern weapons (e.g. Milled AK's, steel ARs and Glocks, FALs, ect) have been mass produced (or at least produced in small quantities)? I would say 1890's. By then, smokeless powder had been invented and metallurgy had improved. Broomhandle Mausers, Borchardts, Gewehr 98's, and many other guns firing high powered ammo and with complex machining had been invented.
>>
>>30999348
what's a liberty pole doing on that rifle?
>>
>>30999421
Argentine?
>>
>>30999348
You need good quality screw machines, standardized parts, assembly lines.

Between the world wars, maybe. But the metalurgy of the time wasnt nearly as good, and things like ARs rely on what was then a series exotic alloys and plastics. Glocks need some fairly advanced polymers too. AKs would be much easier, slav engineering is designed to work with the meanest of materials by and large.
>>
>>30999515
Why couldn't AR and Glock designs be recreated in steel?
>>
>>30999686
Second this question
>>
File: 400px-Argentina.jpg (69KB, 400x576px) Image search: [Google]
400px-Argentina.jpg
69KB, 400x576px
>>30999494
Coat of arms of Argentina? Yeah that makes sense, thanks
>>
>>30999872
>a fucking hat on a stick
>>
>>30999876
>62%
>>
Shameless self bump
>>
>>30999686
They could but glocks at least would need to be modified for the grip. Then both glocks and ARs would lose a lot in terms of weight and would require different furniture. Fore grips as we know them today would be a bit tricky since there's little aluminum, not the right alloys of it, and steel would make them pretty heavy.

The action itself could be done but there's a lot besides the action that makes the gun what it is. Once you go into steel, there are actually a lot of handguns at least that would be better examples.

A better question is if we had the designs and math of modern precision guns, how far back could we make them?
>>
>>31000992
I doubt that modern guns could be made before smokeless powder was invented because the metallurgy technology just was not there. However, if you could turn the shitty steel of the day into decent steel, you may have a chance.
>>
>>31000992
>if we had the designs and math of modern precision guns, how far back could we make them?
I think that's what OP wants to know too
>>
I feel like by the first decade of the 20th Century we could definitely have produced a rifle like the FAL. Very complicated autoloaders already existed; it was more a matter of engineering than materials science that prolonged the adoption of semi-auto rifles.
>>
>>31002344
I agree
>>
>>30999686

Well, the aluminum and plastic parts of the AR could be made from just about anything, so that's no issue.

I'd be concerned about the bolt, though. That was specified to be made of Carpenter 158 steel, which was some pretty hot shit back in the 1960s. That might have to be re-thought to be built with inferior metals.

Even the 8620 steel used on crappy bolts is probably far beyond the capabilities of the turn of the century.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.