[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Savage 11 Hog Hunter .308: a nicer, more modern substitute for

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6

File: k9n4A478j_8P0556tI1.png (1MB, 4500x1167px) Image search: [Google]
k9n4A478j_8P0556tI1.png
1MB, 4500x1167px
I am looking for a somewhat affordable rifle chambered in a "full power" caliber, that is relatively slim and, most importantly, has iron sights from the factory. Right now, I've zeroed in on the Savage 11 Hog Hunter in .308, which is a bolt action, holds 4 rounds in the magazine, and costs $400. I'm also thinking of a Henry 45-70 lever gun, except for the additional cost for ammo. At present, my only two rifles are an AR-15 and PS90.

The main purpose of the rifle will be sport shooting, just to have a rifle in my collection that can go "thump" against my shoulder a few dozen times a month when I take it to the range. However, it would also be nice to have something that I can bring camping with me in brown bear country just to have something powerful enough to end a bear's life without worrying about scoring a head shot while my hands are shaking. It would basically fill the role of a Mosin Nagant in some other people's collection.

I am also thinking of a 12 gauge shotgun with iron sights for shooting slugs, but the ability to reach out well past 100 yards if I ever mount a scope is another appeal of a .308 rifle. What are /k/'s thoughts?

tl;dr, few-rifles wants to become big-rifles, pls help
>>
>>30998119
We've got a bolt action general thread but it's pretty slow sometimes.

I'd say that's a good choice.
>>
File: over 9000 hours.jpg (373KB, 911x2480px) Image search: [Google]
over 9000 hours.jpg
373KB, 911x2480px
>.308
>>
Solid rifle?
>sure
Mosin substitute?
>nyet
>>
>>30998135

I hope this goes big. Mostly because I'm looking forward to the vines of some skeleton-mode 18 year old shooting a 6.5lbs .308 stalking rifle on his first time.
>>
>>30998135

That pic is retarded desu

The bullet on the right is an incredibly obvious .22 lr
>>
File: CmNxUIHUgAAfHWO.jpg (140KB, 900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
CmNxUIHUgAAfHWO.jpg
140KB, 900x1200px
>>30998441
>>
>>30998129
I should have realized that, but I guess I'm still not completely decided on buying a bolt action. Lever guns and shotguns both seem like somewhat viable options.

>>30998182
>Mosin substitute?
>>nyet

Obviously it lacks the history and Soviet nostalgia, but as far as functionality, I think they're pretty similar, unless you need a bayonet. Both are bolt action rifles that fire a full power cartridge, both have about the same capacity magazine, both have iron sights. If I have no interest in Soviet era weaponry or corrosive ammunition, this seems like a pretty good option.
>>
File: 1468590682184.jpg (19KB, 353x352px) Image search: [Google]
1468590682184.jpg
19KB, 353x352px
>>30998441

whoa dude nice catch I totally didn't see that
>>
>>30998509
>>30998471
>>30998441
>>30998230
>>30998135

Stop trying to shit up my thread with this forced meme.
>>
>>30998119
CZ mausers have iron sight models.

Personally I prefer to shoot pigs with semiautos, and I imagine I'd have the same opinion were I in Bear land.
>>
Hmm, how come no one ever mounts red dots on these. Then you have a more reasonable chance against something like a charging bear or hog, but if you get something like an ACOG, can still reach out a few hundred yards. Am I just dumb?
>>
>>30998119
I've got the Hog Hunter in .223. I bought it because I was searching for a bolt-gun with iron sights, and picked the caliber to make it (mostly) ammo compatible with ARs. I really like it. For .223 the barrel is a little bit thick/heavy, but it lets me put a lot of fire down range while still being cool enough to touch. The bolt throws smooth especially if it's a little lubed. The stock is a little more flexible than I would like. Also it's a little touchy to load (top feed only, and you need to get the rounds the whole way back so they don't catch on the feed ramp). Also as far as I know there's no provision for stripper clips (unlike the Mosin).
>>
I have a hog hunter. it's downsides include a cheap feeling stock and a fixed magazine.

if you save an extra hundred or so and get the Savage 11 Scout, you will fix both of those problems.

it also has a longer sight radius and a peep sight. to attach a scope in the conventional place, you will have to remove the peep sight though.
>>
>>30998561
you can reach out a few hundred yards with irons.

well maybe you can't, but most people can
>>
>>30998568
I thought one of the qualifications for a Jeff Cooper Scout rifle was that the scope is supposed to go in front of the the breech?
>>
>>30998602
and that's the gayest shit ever. all modern "scout" rifles including the savage and the ruger are drilled in the more conventional locations as well so that people who aren't retarded can move the scope back.

the only reason to have the scope forward of the breach is to allow for the use of stripper clips. Neither the damage scout or ruger have grooves to use clips, and in fact use detachable magazines.
>>
>>30998648
The price difference I'm seeing online is more like $200 - the Savage 11 Hog Hunter goes for $400 and the Savage 11 Scout goes for $600. I am not a big rifle shooter, but I think I could get a lot of use out of a 4 round internal magazine. I don't like stripper clips anyway, they never seemed to work for me when I did own a Mosin.

What is the appeal of the Scout rifle? I can see how a rifle that size with a detachable magazine would be really useful as a semi-auto, but how is a bolt action rifle with detachable magazines supposed to be used? What's the philosophy of the rifle as you see it?
>>
>>30998119
>45-70 lever gun, except for the additional cost for ammo
dont underestimate this. if you dont reload or plan on shooting more than a few boxes a year, i wouldnt recommend this.
>>
>>30998711
it's just more versatile. anything you can do with a 4 round internal you can do with a 10 round detachable, except drag it over the edge of a table.

the 200$ is still well worth it because you get the accustock, which is better made, and has a bedding block for the action.

don't get me wrong I really like my hog hunter, but I've already spent 50$ on a muzzle brake, and I intend to spend another 200-500 on a replacement stock. I wouldn't have to do either of those things with the scout.

if you are satisfied with the hog hunter as what it is, it will serve you well.
>>
>>30998793
Is the stock really that bad? Does it flex during shooting and hurt the accuracy or something?
>>
>>30998843
it just looks and feels cheap. my barrel isn't centered in the stock.

it shoots great and it's very light. I just want something a little more firm
>>
>>30998119
>Savage 11 Hog Hunter .308: a nicer, more modern substitute for a Mosin Nagant?
Wouldn't count on anything made by Savage being nearly as rugged as a Mosin, or any other commie gun for that matter.
>>
>>30999073
Really? I had a Mosin once, but it had lots of issues, like the barrel band coming loose, the magazine sometimes popping open, dropping the ammo on the ground, and the bolt just felt loose during lock-up, as if the bolt could open up if I shook the rifle forcefully. Also, the ammo is fucking corrosive. Fuck Mosins.
>>
>>30999117
it has a lot of issues because they are old as shit and probably seen 10 wars each
>>
>>30998119
Honest OP I'd just go with a sporterized Milsurp rifle from gunbroker (specifically one in your price range with a scope setup and shoots a relatively cheap and good projectile) it be cheaper, you'd get a good feel on how that rifle kind of is, and maybe in the future upgrade it to one that is not fudd.
>>
>>30998119
I have one. It's a decent gun but I kinda wish I bought a Ruger Scout Rifle.

The cost of the Hog Hunter + the mods to make it more scout rifle-y would be more than just buying the ruger. In addition, the stock is incredibly shit and flimsy and the bolt isn't exactly smooth, even after working it a lot.

If you're looking for a solid cheap rifle with irons, you've found it. The threads are common and the sights are decent, and very fast to acquire. But I wanted less of the quick-shot game hunter and more of the scout rifle with the irons and threaded barrel. But if you're okay with the stock, and want a solid, accurate, and completely functional .308 rifle, it's great.

Savage is known for its cheapish stocks. If you can't find one around town to play with, just try another Savage Model 11 and it should be quite similar.

By the way it's not 4+1, it's just 4. The magazine is part of the stock as well.
>>
>>30999819
the stock isn't the end of the world. it's just... really not sturdy feeling. not compared to any laminate or wood stock.
gotta be light, through. it does flex a bit side to side, not much. the forearm is clearly not anchored to the front by any means, which I guess means it's free-floating. it's just a 'hand guard'. I think my biggest gripe shooting it is that the default rubber buttpad is too grippy on everything in the world - my case, the ammo bag, dust, my shirt, my arm, the sky, etc.
also the front sight is brass, which is nice cause it's bright and easy to focus on.

enjoy the shite picture
>>
File: screen-shot-2016-08-11-at-17-5.png (3MB, 1768x1184px) Image search: [Google]
screen-shot-2016-08-11-at-17-5.png
3MB, 1768x1184px
>>30998119
get a 7mm rem mag and get the fuck out
>>
>>30998592
Well, by these I meant bolt guns in general.
>>
OP why a bolt action exactly? I know you outlined it a bit but you still seem to have a lot up in the air. If it's mostly a fuck around gun with fun recoil and occasional pretend bear security any random pump shotgun will do. You mentioned ammo price but you have a PS90 and are looking at a .308 so why not say fuck it and allow yourself some cheap birdshot for 90% of the time? A lever gun is pretty capable if you work with it a bit.Your AR can shoot 500 yards easily if you want to play with range.

To me a bolt gun is one place where cheaping out seems a bit wasteful since the extra money shows itself more clearly than other guns.

>>30999698
This pretty solid

However, since OP is all over the damn place there are a few more options.
>>
>>31000034
Keep em coming.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.