[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this Gew. 95 worth restoring? I already have a excellent condition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

File: image.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Is this Gew. 95 worth restoring? I already have a excellent condition 1916 Mauser Gew. 98. My wife bought me this thinking I would want it, she paid $75 for it however:

>moderate surface rust
>barrel had more rust in it than I have ever seen
>there is still rifling in the barre
>stock is broken in half
>missing bolt
>trigger assembly is broke
>rust inside the chamber and channel where bolt runs

A replacement bolt and stock will be about $250 but given the condition I'm just not sure it's worth it.
>>
>>30992923
Just needs enough Blue Wonder to soak the Marine Corps' rifles in, you should be good to go.

The rifling in the barrel is pretty impressive considering the state of rust you're describing.
>>
>>30992934
I couldn’t see through the barrel originally. When I looked down it it was dark. I dont want to reblue or refinish it. Just replace the broken parts with original shit.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>30992954
Forgot pic of broken trigger.
>>
If you decide you don't want to restore the whole thing, you could restore the salvageable parts and then sell those to make some of your money back. Might also make the wife feel better.
>>
>a present from my wife
>she bought it just for me
>should I toss it away /k/?
How are married anyway? Does she have some form of borderline disorder that she ended up with you autist?
>>
File: 1363742981472.jpg (125KB, 1700x1275px) Image search: [Google]
1363742981472.jpg
125KB, 1700x1275px
Fix it up. Hit that metal with electrolysis to stop any active corrosion.

If you won't fix it up, then sell it to someone who will.
>>
>>30992923
Pass it along. That thing is on its last legs.

If your wife asks, thank her and tell her it's the thought that counts.
>>
>>30992923
post wife
>>
>>30992923
Rust removal should be easy enough and if you're skilled and have tools you could probably fabricate a good stock on your own, especially given your existing weapon's stock as a reference, if you can get appropriate materials. The biggest issue is that bolt. However, even restoring it as a display piece without bolt might be worth it. Listen, Anon, it's always worth it to restore antique weapons. Someone has to preserve them and lord knows it ain't those cucks in LA. Lovingly restore this rifle to the best of your ability and sell it off to someone you know will take care of it, okay? Weapons, especially antiques and historically significant ones, deserve respect and care. It's an artifact, Anon. Keep it intact for the next generation, for who are you, who do not know your history?
>>
>>30995666
>>30995666
satan trips confirms

just fucking restore it OP. do a good deed for history and humanity. there are very few unturkished germanic rifles from the great war.

i think its worth restoring. youre only 75 into it and when done will be like 300 into it, you could sell it for that or more if you dont like how it shoots
>>
>>30992954
>couldent see down the barrel

kek, post bore
>>
File: 1467307368601.jpg (128KB, 1600x1239px) Image search: [Google]
1467307368601.jpg
128KB, 1600x1239px
>>30995666
>>30992923
lets see that wife OP
>>
That doesn't seem worth the trouble, especially since it's so fucked up
>>
>>30992923

In that condition I would not consider it to be a worthwhile project to make it a shootable gun, especially if you already have a Mauser.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.