[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If all the European countries increased their defence spending

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

If all the European countries increased their defence spending to 2% would Europe be more powerful than America?
>>
it would equal roughly to 375 B$,

so, no.
bretty gud, but still no.
>>
>>30990819
We dont like weapons here.Most of the money we already spend are pocket change to keep the image of "military"
You are free to bomb us we don't care.
>>
>>30990819
Europe isn't a country. It's not a power. It's a "union", but isn't united. It's a thingamajig that's barely worth mentioning.
It's failed in its infancy and its dead fœtus became a host for an ideological infection to make its nest. If Germany were more kin to go against US schemes back in the days, then Europe as initially conceived could have been a thing. But it wasn't.

Any money that isn't spent in France and England is a waste. Other countries are just wasting budget on meme armies, and should just officially delegate their defense to the US.
>>
>>30990819
I've never noticed the little canards, it's so cute!
>>
>>30990944
Probably this.
>EU countries
>agreeing on anything, ever
>>
>>30990944
I wouldn't have a problem with the USA defending Europe, as long as they pay us adequate financial tribute or offer themselves up to being an American commonwealth
>>
>>30990944
>Other countries are just wasting budget on meme armies, and should just officially delegate their defense to the US.
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>30990819
Frog here.
Short answer : no
Long answer : no.

I won't explain. Because.

>>30990958
good catch, it's a legacy from the Mirage 4000 program which had full sized non-moving canards. They play a huge part in the wing/fuselage aerodynamic interaction.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3657x1848px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3657x1848px
>>30994046
Mirage 4000 a qt
>>
>>30990819

Not even close. Money probably would be spent more efficiently, but most European countries could never afford stuff like carriers needed for power projection or have any reason to spend money on such programs.
>>
File: EU-defense.jpg (25KB, 329x400px) Image search: [Google]
EU-defense.jpg
25KB, 329x400px
We have a structural problem which cannot be solved by funding our military at 2% of GDP.
It'd be a start though.

But nothing comes close to the US armed forces.
>>
>>30990958

It's silly how much better Mirage III became with few rather minor aerodynamic changes and better engine. I'm not touching avionics, but I'm not going to touch that.
>>
zero political will to commit to military action, it would be useless.
>>
>>30992025
He meant "if you want american security, pay up and be happy as a protectorate of the pax americana
>>
>>30990819
Pole here. Nope.

Europe doesn't have "unified" army(which is good) and even basic standardisation goes as far as small arms ammunition - we still have tons of T-72's and conversions, along with ammo for them and they're not compatible with any NATO stuff.

Even if the armament spending would be bigger than American one the whole thing would be hindered by having to field multiple weapon systems for multiple nations having different needs. If you'd try to force standardisation it would end like every other thing like that in the EU - we won't pick the best weapons/systems/platforms/we - we will pick those German, French or MAYBE Belgian weapons/systems/platforms/we which manufacturer will be the best at lobbying the decision makers.
>>
>>30995056
You guys are doing alright though. Good job on keeping spending up and rapefugees out.
>>
File: 1470552141583.jpg (204KB, 750x574px) Image search: [Google]
1470552141583.jpg
204KB, 750x574px
>>30994081
Yup
>>
>>30995094
Refugees have exactly the same right to go to Poland as they do Germany, it's just that they don't go to Poland because it isn't a particularly good country.
>>
Europe will only increase defence spending when:

>Various European countries, such as France, Switzerland, Belgium, Sweden and Germany, have massive internal security issues with their new arrivals and basically become the European versions of Israel.
>The natives, after becoming a minority or slim majority, see the writing on the wall and go full nationalist in an attempt to reverse the damage
>They withdraw from international agreements because they aren't worth the paper they are written on, and ramp up defence spending to keep the rot out
>Countries on the perimeter of Europe are plunged into civil war

The Europeans (barring minor parties in the east) aren't remotely worried about Russia, which in fairness to them is a fairly sensible assessment. Russia has an economy smaller than that of Italy and, aside from certain parts of its forces, has a somewhat lacking military. It's made huge improvements since the 1990s, but Russia isn't particularly interested in invading the rest of Europe - even if it could.
>>
>>30995600
I secretely hope this happens as soon as possible in France.
>>
>>30992025

European armies are mostly non-functional and useless. I mean, the stock grunt knows how to use a gun, but as a "fighting force" outside of NATO supervision they are completely useless: the common european Air Force has probably enough ammo and fuel for a week or two of operation, lacks the chance to aquire spares and to build new airframes fast and the like. Same for tanks. Plus, the officer corps are completely unused to any kind of warfare, and furthermore the political situation of most European countries make any conventional military conflict simply impossible. They are "meme armies" because they are kept around mostly thanks to traditions. In my country "being a soldier" has even stopped being considered prestigious or something: it's seen more akin to be a public servant, so a somewhat easy, but not very well-paid, job out of the cutthroat civilian job market.

I'll always remember when I asked a Navy sailor what he did for all his life, and he replied, kinda saddened: "Travelled a lot, done some exercises, pretty much nothing else. We went to Somalia, once."

At this point, considering that the Americans already have massive bases everywhere (more than 200 installations in my country alone) and are used to war, it would be better to simply pay them off and enjoy our status as US puppets.
>>
>>30995752

As an American service member, I think that it would be a terrible idea for a country to delegate the protection of its sovereignty to a global superpower--even if it appears to be a benevolent entity. The U.S. does what it does to protect its economic dominance and preserve Americans' relatively decadent way of life.

If the United States were to take complete responsibility for another country's defense, that country would be just as much a slave to the U.S. as the Soviet satellite states were to the USSR (or CCCP for you vatniks). If I were a native of some European country, I would be ashamed that my society had become the nation-state equivalent of a cucked nu-male.
>>
>>30995870
>If I were a native of some European country, I would be ashamed that my society had become the nation-state equivalent of a cucked nu-male.
That's really what most EU states are. In the long time of history, they're not meant to stick around. But institutions in the area that try preventing war at any cost (NATO and EU industrial integration) tend to obscure it. If the politics of the continent were to go back to a state of free competition like it had been for all of recorded history, you'd see all the small states being squashed out immediately and the traditional blocks come back to life. The thinking behind the first steps taken after WWII to build Europe was to somewhat curb those natural tendencies and force something of a cordial cooperation around the Rhine (that is between France, Germany, and everything in between).
>>
>>30995870

Ironically enough, Warsaw Pact armies were more functional and autonomous than most European minors nowadays. And we don't forget for a istant that the Americans have only interests, not allies (and the mess in Syria and Lybia is kinda clear on that) but in a way that's already true. You cover our airspace, you control our seas and have huge bases in the middle of our cities. God, our POLICE has more combat experience than our Army.

Considering that we are nothing outside NATO, we should simply recognize the fait accompli. The laughs will came when you will grow too weak to protect us, as you will. Maybe not in our lifetimes, though....
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.