[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello /k/, /lit/ here. I want your opinion on something that's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 16

File: Neo Japan.jpg (238KB, 752x1063px) Image search: [Google]
Neo Japan.jpg
238KB, 752x1063px
Hello /k/, /lit/ here. I want your opinion on something that's bothering me. Almost every cyberpunk or sci-fi book with cyberpunk themes in it, that I've read. It always has this vision of the future with intense gun violence and overall gun dominated world in whats supposed to be technology reigned and hacker warfare.

Whats your take on a cyberpunk world with so many guns or for that matter our future? Likely or unlikely? And how do guns have a place in a cyberpunk world? Not saying I'm anti-gun but I just don't understand. Since you guys own weapons maybe you can educate me.
>>
>>30988473
Please keep your bullshit on /b/
>>
>>30988473
guns are cool thats why they are in the cool sci-fi thriller media you are consuming

Now go away
>>
File: SSnuGaZ.jpg (575KB, 2000x1190px) Image search: [Google]
SSnuGaZ.jpg
575KB, 2000x1190px
We could never know. If the west continues down the left path we will most likely end up with no guns except for military(not even police). If we go right we will probably end up like a cyberpunk world, but you know what they say "An armed society is a polite society." I highly doubt in 200 years we will have both no-guns and all-guns. It is really one or the other.
>>
Because hacker bullshit isn't very exciting. It can be tense, sure, but running an executable and tapping random keys while frantic music plays will never be as compelling as a massive shootout between augmented mecha cops and goggle-wearing tattooed cyber gyspies.
>>
File: armygirls.jpg (45KB, 425x600px) Image search: [Google]
armygirls.jpg
45KB, 425x600px
yeah 2202.... still have shit drop leg holsters... also can't figure out its drop leg, just enough to clear waist, not drop knee holster.
>>
File: aiden-pearce.jpg (38KB, 800x451px) Image search: [Google]
aiden-pearce.jpg
38KB, 800x451px
>>30988568
>>
>>30988473
Look at Defense Distributed's YouTube channel: we're already in a world where a $1000 desktop box will crank out guns all day for you.
They. Will. Be. EVERYWHERE.
>>
>>30988473
because unless there is some crazy anti bullet technology invented that makes practically everyone invulnerable to guns then guns will retain their lethality. just look at your pic. you think something like that would survive even guns from 100 years ago?
if you have access to older guns and intend to kill someone why not use it. should be more cost efficient as well. kinda like in real life i suppose.
>>
>>30988634
Link for the magic gun box: https://ghostgunner.net
>>
A hacker can break into the most secure bank accounts in the world

A hacker can steal military secrets and sell them on the black market

A hacker can scramble communications

A hacker can take over remote systems

You know what a hacker aint? Bulletproof
>>
File: cyberpunk.jpg (402KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
cyberpunk.jpg
402KB, 1920x1080px
>>30988492
>>30988528

Go away aggressive niggers.

>>30988473
Sorry about them OP they don't share your fascination as the rest of us do. Well because in a cyberpunk world, its usually displayed as a overpopulated world ridden of crime. Look at India and China, especially china. China is almost as close as a cyberpunk world except its a cheap version of it. Crime still exists over there in high doses. And who is to say the Chinese or crime lords don't arm themselves to the teeth.

If you want to cross paths with the U.S, the closes cities we have to cyberpunk with high crime is; Chicago, San Fransisco, New York and to an extent Los Angeles.
>>
File: m8.png (100KB, 504x493px) Image search: [Google]
m8.png
100KB, 504x493px
>>30988580
>>30988580

>MFW that game had so much fucking potential
>>
>>30988694

The rest of us? You don't speak for us, fuck off fag.
>>
Cyberpunk plays a lot on classism, part of it at least tends to make out the lower class as devolved violent creatures that really have no choice. The upper class as ruthless sadistic violent creatures.
A large part of it sort of focuses on the theme of might makes right while simultaneously admitting it's not really right but force is still the great equalizer.
It adds some intrigue to the plots. Like video games most stuff plots just tend to boil down to fight this shit while crafting the story to kind of work around why you should be fighting anyway.
>>
>>30988694
>NYC
>high crime
its not the 70's anymore gramps
>>
Its amazing how much /k/ is becoming like /b/ with these retarded douchebags in every thread.
>>
>>30988884
>Waaah ur all meanies
desu I thought some of the posts ITT were a bit unnecessary too, but don't cry about it you fucking thin skinned faggot
>>
File: 1471046458361.png (375KB, 763x960px) Image search: [Google]
1471046458361.png
375KB, 763x960px
>>30988923
>acknowledge it at all, ever
>instantly crying about it
>>
File: image.jpg (83KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
83KB, 720x960px
>>30988473
That's a writer's shorthand for the technology fueled breakdown of the modern state. Large urban cores breaking down and becoming ungovernable in the manner of a Mogadishu or Detroit. In such a world with only the barest ability to project authority into the slums, it becomes the duty of the locals to maintain order and they do so with the only tool that matters here in meatspace: The Gun.
>>
File: image.jpg (41KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
41KB, 250x250px
>>30988492
>>30988528
>>30988856
>>30988923
Dear newfaggots,

/k/ has a loooooong history of cross board cooperation. All you have done is to prove that you're raw fucking new to this place. Git Gud. Lurk moar. Cry into mom's chicken tendies some more.
>>
>>30988959
>That's a writer's shorthand for the technology fueled breakdown of the modern state.
woah I never thought about it that way. That's super fucked up even with mass proliferation of technology they still think that kind of shit happening is more than likely.
>>
>>30989158
Look around you. It's happening right now.

Uber fought the city of San Francisco and is winning.

And then there's this: >>30988667 and >>30988634
>>
>>30989433
Oh no I know cyberpunk isn't the future, it's the present. I just didn't think people had truly been that cynical about the future for the last 3 decades that cyberpunks been around.

I don't buy into a lot of that 3d printed firearm shit being anything more than a saturday night specials.. but I tend to respect quality craftsmanship especially if it was really precise and well done with minimal machinery just makes it more impressive to me.
3d printing is just plastic, i tend to equate craftsmanship and a solid work with word and metal, plastic is more like mass produced junk that won't really ever have another use and will break ending up in a landfill someday. I see wood and metal with engravings in it, I think cool a lot of work went into it looks artistic wonder if I can afford it looks collectable. I see something like a glock receiver with stippling and it just can't help but think they ruined it.
Not to knock on polymer it has it's uses.
Those assholes are really fucking over people printing off those pieces of crap trying to make the worse functional thing they can because 3d printers are going to eventually have laser sintering with alloys and there going to get stupid laws over reaching and cutting off doing the entire fucking head off the snake before quality shit is easily accessible that way making shitty saturday night specials.
>>
>>30988473
Hi OP. You should ask /tg/ about cyberpunk. There are often pretty heated debates about cyberpunk going.

So what about guns in cyberpunk? Like an poster suggested, cyberpunk stories are often about overpopulated and crime/gun-ridden worlds. Is that realistic, is that what we're gravitating towards?

Overpopulation? Yes and no. No, because overpopulation is already slowing down as emerging countries are becoming richer. Yes, in the sense that population will concentrate in some areas, mainly large cities (rural exodus, climatic refugees...).
Crime-ridden? Absolutely.

Now for guns. How I see things is that governments, banks, corporations or whoever will hold the power, will have access to high-tech firepower (railguns, laser weapons, gyrocks, etc.). As with every totalitarian society, there will be gun control and it will be enforced. But this concerns only the people living in "corporate" zones (residential and business districts). The slums, are mostly lawless, and are full of old and/or home made guns. While home made guns are made based on quality blueprints, the materials they're made of are usually of low quality as barrels and bolt assemblies have become illegal for civilians. Ammunition is also illegal, and is either manufactured in underground workshops or comes from old milsurp/civsurp (best quality). Home-made ammunition is often of low quality as bullets, cases, and gunpowder are illegal for civilians and they have to be manufactured from scrounged materials. Of course, powerful gangs have access to better materials (high quality propellants designed in underground labs, quality barrels made using stolen machinery...) and maybe even get corporate-sponsored modern guns.

Low quality ammunition is also one reason why bullet-proof clothing is a thing. While being pretty useless against modern weapons and effective ammo, it works well against lead projectiles commonly found in the slums.
>>
>>30988473
>hacker warfare
totally bogus. it's espionage, not warfare. don't believe the hype

sometimes the only way to deal with your enemies is to poke tiny little holes in them.

FYI it's a fictional book, not a true account written by a time traveller. Don't let it bother you.
>>
File: manga-study.jpg (251KB, 941x941px) Image search: [Google]
manga-study.jpg
251KB, 941x941px
If you look at the Ghostgunner CNC-mill, it's something that works only in the USA with their specific gun laws. In Europe, such a machine would be totally pointless as getting barrels and bolt-assemblies is restricted and requires licensing. I'm also pretty sure that 80% lowers would probably require a license, too.
>>
File: Screen01.png (363KB, 589x751px) Image search: [Google]
Screen01.png
363KB, 589x751px
>>30990802
Espionnage or sabotage. Stuxnet didn't steal any information but sabotaged Siemens equipement Iran had obtained illegally.

I'm also wondering what virus could do to the stockmarket, as it's getting more and more robotized. Manipulation, sabotage and blackmailing seems an option, too.
>>
>>30988473
If I gun you down in meatspace, you die on the other side. Remember, we are still animals, we still need blood to carry oxygen and nutrients. Guns are really good at what they do, which is put holes in things, gaping massive holes. Enough holes, you bleed out.
>>
>>30988473
Way I always envision it is that:
a)state doesn't want you to have guns, but is too weak/doesn't care to take them from slums
b)state doesn't exist/is puppet of military-industrial complex
c)guns are easy to make using 3d printing/nanotech/technobable
>>
>>30988473
I think they do, referencing another anon in the thread, while power grids, security systems, and even cars can be hacked, you know what can't? A gun, and the hackers sitting behind their desks in their top secret location take lead like the rest of us: badly.

Also why we're vehemently opposed to smartguns.
>>
OP, original cyberpunk was "high tech, low life", a big happy ancap paradise where everything is terrible for a majority of the population in high contrast to the rich corporate gods that ceos and accountants become. dirty streets and shiny robots with mini DSHK's gunning down drug crazed youths trying to steal its titanium kneecaps to resell on the black market. if that sounds odd, then youre not reading real cyberpunk. Start over with the novel "Snowcrash", then try reading "Hardwired", and finish up with a marathon of the Max Headroom tv series.

to answer your question as to why guns are in the setting, cyberpunk has roots in noir detective fiction and early 50's/60's Sci-Fi which both involve firearms to a large extent. Plus, guns will never go away, the toothpaste has been squeezed out and cant be put back in. 1000 years from now some poor goat farmer will be putting food on the table with a cobbled together mosin nagant.
>>
>>30991043
This is the only good post that has been and will be in this thread.
>>
>>30989981
cyberpunk is not the present, stop proliferating this meme just because you have a smartphone and 3d printers are slowly becoming a thing.

cyberpunk requires class division like what hasnt been seen since the early 1900's/late 1800's. It requires tech advancement at a speed far beyond what we have now, think brand new types of smartphones each year, not just updated models. you'd be upgrading every few months, rapidly falling behind the curve each generation. remember how no one over 50 could work a vcr? itll be like that except lower the age to 25-30 years old instead. this is known as a "technoshock".
Oh, and it requires a mass extermination/upheaval event like war, disease, famine, or all three to kick off the 100% blantantly corrupt government systems they feature.
>>
File: eric-ladin.jpg (12KB, 214x317px) Image search: [Google]
eric-ladin.jpg
12KB, 214x317px
>>30988578
Shit, man, can you imagine the stank on that cunt?
>>
Physical security and cyber security go hand-in-hand. The hacker/digital rights culture and the 2A culture share so many core principles.

Don't take my word for it though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcRGANe0yFk

>>30990809
It's not hard to make a firearm; it doesn't matter how you do it.
>>
>>30991893
>It's not hard to make a firearm; it doesn't matter how you do it.
Yeah. One that will blow up the second you press the trigger or some shitty zip gun. Probably the best homemade guns are made in Khyber pass and in the jungles of the Philippines, but none of those guns are remotely as reliable or accurate as production guns.
>>
>>30988473
absolutely likely, as the individual more and more marginalized and mental illness and religious conflicts rage, they're likely to cling to their guns for relevance and basic protection
>>
>>30989981
It isn't a 3D printer. It is a CNC machine.
>>
>>30991078
>stop proliferating this meme
Nope won't do, I said it once on /v/ a few months ago and a few other people started saying it too. i like this meme because i think this is a cyberpunk world, it's just not as dystopian as most people think cyberpunk is.
you think people in cyberpunk stories are like ever in an internal monologue with themselves
>oh wow this is a futuristic cyberpunk place
Tech is just a means to an end and you're talking about some technological singularity post scarcity stuff when cyberpunk does have advanced tech in theory but in practice it's highly restricted who has access and even people using junk up to getting fancy shit navigate around in it. You live in a world where barely one or two generations ago people just stopped riding other mammals as the predominant form of transportation, people still use VCR's, and there's at least one rich guy that has autonomous cars, boats, and fucking space rockets.
Even Gibson said tokyo looks like he envisioned cities could look like.
Saying there is no class division since whenever, that kind of class division was obvious back then and people did it anyway, it's still obvious these days but we still do it anyway.
What's this old people can't use tech shit, I'm a mechanical technician and I'm trained on the basics of how electronics work, are you saying when I'm 50 I wouldn't be able how to click a few buttons on a consumer grade media device to figure out how to get a movie to play?
Id on't know why you think this is a critereon?
>mass extermination/upheaval event like war, disease, famine, or all three to kick off the 100% blantantly corrupt government systems they feature
But that's all shit that is actually happening out in the world. Although the corruption part has different rankings, check out the CIA website they have an index for corruption ratings.
>>
File: 1470367145295.gif (491KB, 500x263px) Image search: [Google]
1470367145295.gif
491KB, 500x263px
>>30992007
>>
>>30991988
nope it fuses metal powder it's called additive manufacturing, basically the same thing as what they do with plastic.

>>30992121
>correction talking with (you) is retarded
Do you honestly spend your neetbucks shitposting on the internet? (You) know when people complain about mooches stealing tax dollars from welfare they're talking about (you).
>>
File: 1470919727328.jpg (17KB, 306x165px) Image search: [Google]
1470919727328.jpg
17KB, 306x165px
>>30992163
>boy, you sure beat up that strawman!
>>
>>30988715
in my opinion, it was still pretty fun
I just played it to relax and have fun with the multiplayer, but the singleplayer was alright
>>
>>30992443
I wouldn't include a term using the word "man" in it to describe (you)
>>
>>30988473
the stock is fucked up in your picture.
>>
>>30988686
>puts on bullet proof armor
>>
File: ZHCI6ao_AA.gif (2MB, 600x250px) Image search: [Google]
ZHCI6ao_AA.gif
2MB, 600x250px
>>30988473
>>30988473
Any idiot with common tools found in a motorcycle repair shop can mill their own guns. They can create a rifling machine to mill their own barrels.

Making gunpowder that is as good and reliable as what you can buy, and doing it safely, is nearly impossible. That's why you don't see guns in scifi dystopias.
>>
>>30992163
>Ghostgunner
>Additive manufacturing

The ghostgunner is a mini CNC mill that ships with software for completing 80%s. What are you adding?
>>
>>30992547
https://www.stratasysdirect.com/solutions/direct-metal-laser-sintering/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DW-2xaIDtMk

He might be talking about direct metal laser sintering (DMLS), but the metal is still machined afterwards. Therefore it's a CNC. I don't even know about the ghostgunner and I can figure that out based on his "powdered metal is additive machining" argument. The surface finish on that tech was worse than casting until very recently.
>>
>>30992581
It's not an argument, I can't really talk about the effectiveness of it since I have no experience with it although I've been following the news about it for a few years.
Honestly kind of glad to have a discussion about cyberpunk that is a little more involved than images of a rainy night neon light filled city.
Some of this bait I'd think you'd walked straight out of /r/futurology and are watching the grey goo scenario of terminator2 on their tv (let's just pretend the other terminator movies after that point don't exist)

>>30992545
>Any idiot with common tools found in a motorcycle repair shop can mill their own guns. They can create a rifling machine to mill their own barrels.
Okay, making an entire firearm or just a box that holds components.
barrels that should be an autism argument along with a few other pieces.
>>
>>30989981
>>30991988
Right. Desktop CNC machines making high-quality all-metal AR-15 lowers. For $1500 you can finish all the 80% lowers you want.
>>
>>30988473
>cyberpunk
Cyberpunk typically goes hand-in-hand with tyrannical governments, who love guns. Also cyberpunk is typically action-oriented, which means extra guns just in case.

Step away from the protagonist in a cyberpunk novel and you'd be sure to see less gun violence, but still tons of guns held by the police etc.
>>
>>30992890
That's a lot of tax if you're not talking about making the first one.
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.