[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Humans in space have the unique opportunity to be hit by objects

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 166
Thread images: 20

File: Orion-space-plane-1-.jpg (17KB, 428x270px) Image search: [Google]
Orion-space-plane-1-.jpg
17KB, 428x270px
Humans in space have the unique opportunity to be hit by objects traveling 34,000 MPH relative velocity.

What would a ball bearing do to you at that speed?

How long before the CIA does this to the Chinese space program?
>>
Common? Nobody has been hit by something going Mach 50 and lived to tell about it?
>>
File: Hypervelocity_Impact_ESA.png (365KB, 567x600px) Image search: [Google]
Hypervelocity_Impact_ESA.png
365KB, 567x600px
Had a friend who was a mechanical engineer for Martin testing space station and satellite shielding. He created a deforming piston light gas gun capable of throwing up to fifty caliber projectiles at orbital velocities. He's mainly credited with inventing the camera used to capture impacts.

Really neat stuff. I saw a one gram chunk of aluminum tear a hole through half inch plate.

Pic related. Not from his experiments, but indicative of what would happen.
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kessler_syndrome

It's a really bad idea.
>>
>>30986971
>your friend think he invented pre record
>>
space shuttles got blasted every mission. tens of thousands of recorded impacts that left damage.
>>
>>30986363
I grew up on a military base that had a "secret" portion that was used during the pre-Apollo era as high speed testing.

They had a gun that could shoot at pellet at several km/s.
On a tour they showed us plates of iron shot with that gun. Fugging crater like 6 inches deep for a projectile mass of a few grams.

Shit was cool.

Anyways, Rods from God, blah blah blah. We've all been through this shit before.
>>
>>30986363
There's a fun way to deal with this in open space.
You project two electromagnetic fields kilometers wide.
The first charges any incoming object.
The second repels them with a field of the opposite charge.

It's a reverse Bussard ramscoop.
>>
>>30987071
what do you do about the stuff that you can't induce a charge into?

We need to put huge powerful free electron lasers into space. To vaporize or deorbit all space junk.
>>
>>30986998
He holds several patents for a particular rotating mirror camera used by Martin in the 1970's.
>>
>>30987088
>what do you do about the stuff that you can't induce a charge into?
Well you avoid them.
Space is awfully big.
Lots of room to manoeuvre.

Like the fabled "asteroid belt" is so diffuse that any human ship passing through would not even be able to tell that it's passing through a "belt" of asteroids.

Why bother with free electron lasers? You can use solid state ones just fine because space is the perfect place to void the toxic gasses.
>>
>>30987118
>expelling gasses
way to change your orbit with every firing.

you want a laser that just uses electricity, no moving parts, or is likely to burn out or break.
>>
>>30987165
>way to change your orbit with every firing.
You can store them and use them for reaction control.
Even more efficient!
>>
>>30986363
>What would a ball bearing do to you at that speed?
That's actually an interesting question - my main thought would be that a human body (eg a guy in a space suit) would be fairly cleanly penetrated - a ball bearing can't really tumble (it can, but the penetrating cross-section won't change; it'll just veer within the body).

However, this is a round travelling at around Mach 45, so a blunt steel ball bearing is going to explode as it gets decelerated.

I've now also gone and done some maths and now I'm really not sure, it's really going to depend on the size of the ball bearing; it turns out that a 1/4" steel ball bearing at 34,000mph relative has a kinetic energy of 7858 joules. That's only a little more than half the muzzle energy of a .50 BMG. Such a projectile would surely just zip through the body right?

For a 1/2" ball bearing though, it's a lot more devastating; at 34,000mph it has a kinetic energy of 62,885 joules; about 4x that of a .50 BMG.

>>30987118
Keep in mind though that delta V is a very limited resource; if this was meant to be a near-future scenario, a little space station or satellite might be able to dodge one cloud, but probably not any follow-ups. Reaction time would be an issue too; how far out can you sense (eg) 1/2" RAM-coated objects.

Also, aren't solid state lasers free of the toxic gases (hence being solid state)? I thought it was just an issue for chemical and gas fired lasers.
>>
>>30987182
the lasing medium would still burn out and need replacing. which is a several hundred million dollar repair job.
>>
America totally dropped the ball by not setting a lunar colony.
The near side face of the Moon always faces Earth. Imagine sitting up mass drivers to be able to drop chunks of lunar material onto the Earth.
Total global control. This is MAD beyond anything before.

You set up a base on the far side. Totally immune to any attack by Earth.
Then you have the your mass drivers on the near side.

Total world domination.
>>
>>30987222
This is stupid and so are you for suggesting it.
>>
>>30987207
>a little space station or satellite might be able to dodge one cloud, but probably not any follow-ups. Reaction time would be an issue too; how far out can you sense (eg) 1/2" RAM-coated objects.
Oh you mean human directed attacks.
Well shit, no spacecraft could defend against that.
They're delicate flowers.

Hell, you could shine a laser pointer a panel and practically disable that shit from planetside.
>>
>>30987261
TANSTAAFL nigga.
>>
>>30987038
>Rods from God, blah blah blah. We've all been through this shit before.
OP here, I am most interested in the effect a ball bearing would have on a person.

Would it suddenly be, ouch I have a hole straight through me the diameter of the ball bearing. Or would a wound cavity be created and would there be heating effects?
>>
>>30987222
The moon is a harsh mistress
>>
>>30987207
>a little space station or satellite might be able to dodge one cloud, but probably not any follow-ups. Reaction time would be an issue too; how far out can you sense (eg) 1/2" RAM-coated objects.
The problem is there currently is a gap between the minimum size detectable by radar and the largest size you can protect against practical with armor.

iirc it ranges from steel shot on the low end to 1" on the high end
>>
>>30987317
>Would it suddenly be, ouch I have a hole straight through me the diameter of the ball bearing. Or would a wound cavity be created and would there be heating effects?
You'd be blown apart.
The ball bearing would strike a ball bearing sized part of flesh. And then it'd give part of its energy to that flesh and because it has enormous amount of energy, that flesh would be moving away at considerable speeds, which would impact the neighbouring flesh and so forth and so forth until the energy is distributed.

So because the energy is so high, when the "energy is distributed", kilograms of flesh have been rapidly moved away from the impact site.

Don't fuck with things going kilometers a second.
>>
>>30987368
(Not OP here) I think it'd be a mix of both; as the ball hits and moves through you, the energy imparted would cause major expansion, but after everything's done and dusted, you'd still look intact (just maybe not around the exit wound), but would be mush internally.
>>
>>30987207
I think your math is off, I'm showing at least 100,000 joules of energy in that 1/4" ball bearing.
>>
>>30987417
>you'd still look intact (just maybe not around the exit wound), but would be mush internally.
Nah, your skin couldn't hold that together.
You can see how a ball bearing has made foot wide craters in fucking iron plates.

Flesh is so much weaker than iron.
You'd be exploded from the inside out.
This isn't a pressure wave.
It's an explosive force concentrated on a portion of an inch and expanded outwards.
If the ball bearing is moving km/s and the end impact is moving flesh 10,000 times slower, your body is still being blown apart by feet.
>>
>>30987464
I think it depends on whether the ball bearing will spend enough time in your body to impart enough energy to cause serious damage/flesh explosions. Flesh is spongy and soft and the bearing might simply punch a neat hole through you.
>>
>>30987506
Time is irrelevant. The equations still work the same whether you're dealing with minutes, seconds, or microseconds.

The sponginess of flesh makes it worse. It takes energy easier than rigid things. When it's a bit of energy, it rebounds and remains its shape.
But if it's too high, it transfers that destructive force further than if it was rigid.

Look at a bullet in ballistic gelatin. Then imagine the gaping wound 100X wider.
>>
Some guy got hit with the beam of a particle collider and it fucked him up pretty bad.
>>
>>30987442
I'm using this site for ball bearing weights:
http://www.precisionballs.com/Ball_Bearing_Steel.php
And (to save time and avoid any mistakes in maths) this online KE calculator:
http://www.csgnetwork.com/kineticenergycalc.html

34,000mph = 15199.36m/s
1/4" = 1.050 grains = 0.00006803886kg
1/2" = 8.402 grains = 0.00054444044kg
>>
>>30987698
I think those weight units are in grams, not grains.

I used this website for ball bearings: http://bearingballstore.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=6
>>
>>30987348
You're alright for a tripfag
>>
>>30987557
The rate of deceleration is critical, of which time is a factor. If the bearing stops after penetrating half a dozen centimetres (like with the steel plate example above), then it exerts a massive force and creates major distortion. If the bearing never stops but instead slows down by 10% as it rips through the body, the energy imparted is significantly less and you may have a clean hole. The deciding factor is the body's density and chemical bonds.

>>30987740
Yep you're right and in hindsight 0.068 grams for a 1/4" ball bearing is pretty silly.

So with that in mind:

1/4" ball bearing = 121,564 joules
1/2" ball bearing = 972,518 joules

I still have no idea how big a wound it'd cause though; it's just so far out of the ballpark of human injuries.
>>
File: gravity-face.png (979KB, 1600x667px) Image search: [Google]
gravity-face.png
979KB, 1600x667px
>>30987368
When you put it that way, astronauts have some pretty big balls spending months in space, or doing space walks. It's like trying to get work done between two enemy trenches in WWI.

NASA also has some pretty big balls for putting it live on TV. Sooner or later somebody is going to get hit.
>>
>>30988292
Fun fact: When astronauts close their eyes, they can see flashes of light when high energy particles strike their retinas and cause a reaction.
>>
>>30988292
>Unhappy woman has bad time in space but survives against the odds
>>
>>30988361
This... Just another bullshit movie. Might as well had two astronauts fighting over her.
>>
>>30988417
It really was fucking awful. Fortunately The Martian happened and did great in the box office.
>>
>>30988361
>>30988417
>>30988641
Don't forget the "oooh nooo, I'm being pulled away by nothing, don't let me go!!!"
>>
Wolfram alpha says a ball bearing would have the kinetic equivalent to 0.0008006692 tons of tnt.
Pretty unimpressive.
>>
File: 1a81bcebf1fb0291b26e34c2b2c7b1d7.gif (1001KB, 450x283px) Image search: [Google]
1a81bcebf1fb0291b26e34c2b2c7b1d7.gif
1001KB, 450x283px
>>30988789
>pic related

>>30988827
How does that compare to 5.56?
>>
>>30988641
the martian was awful too.
>>
>>30986363
>CIA
>doing something

topkek
>>
>>30988868
Here is an invitation, have a rant. What is wrong with it?
>>
>>30988849
Way higher. mj vs kj
>>
>>30988899
The CIA has funding. They use that in conjunction with other government agencies to make magic happen.
>>
>>30986363
It would either pass completely through you, losing only a negligible amount of speed in the process, or it would dump a significant portion of its energy into you and blow your body into pieces. I think the effect would be highly dependent on the shape of your kinetic impactor though I'm no expert.

Objects moving very fast do not fuck around.
>>
>>30989654
>losing only a negligible amount of speed in the process, or it would dump a significant portion of its energy into you and blow your body into pieces
It would do both.

A km/s object passing through a relatively motionless target will lose 100s of m/s motion, which will mean in flesh a fucking disaster.
But for the moving object, it means going from 3450 m/s to 3440 m/s. Which is obviously not anything worth mentioning, but would blow a body apart.
>>
>>30989654
>Objects moving very fast do not fuck around.
That is what I said to her, but she didn't listen
>>
>>30986363
You mean in addition to ending the space shuttle program, the USA would seek to sabotage other countries space programs as well?
>>
>>30989727

There is a reason that the worst thing you can do to the US Government is to leak truthful information about it
>>
Here's something for you spacefags.

Even in modern tech, we could construct a probe that could create itself from an asteroid.

That's called a von Neumann probe. A probe that can make copies.

All it it takes for any civilization is to make the first probe. After that, it makes copies from asteroids.

One makes two. Then two makes four. Then four makes sixteen. And so forth and so forth.

It would take under a million years for there to be a probe in very star system everywhere.
So why isn't there one in our system?

It takes such a small amount of a homeworld to make the first von Neumann probe. Any sentient species would quickly learn that that type of probe is the way to go.
There are millions of worlds in our galaxy that could make such a probe.
In our time, the galaxy should be littered with them.

But there isn't any in our solar system despite the fact that Earth type worlds number in the billions in our galaxy.

The only answer is that they are already here but hidden.

You niggas are talking about space, but not really.
The moon? Fuck that.
The entire galaxy should be shouting at us. Why aren't our radios filled with the sounds of dozens of nearby civilizations sounds? They should be. But they aren't.

There is something in our galaxy that is silencing radio and preventing probes.
That is scary as fuck. It should shake you down to the core.

The fact that the Fermi Paradox exists should make you wonder about how any human exists.
Tomorrow we SHOULD die.

The only answer to the Fermi Paradox is that we all die soon.
>>
>>30989799
Nah, i means the galaxy is humanitys playground, ripe for the takeing.

Alium fucking shits
>>
>>30987222
>The near side face of the Moon always faces Earth.
>You set up a base on the far side. Totally immune to any attack by Earth.
That's not even true you tard, the moon rotates. It's called synchronous rotation/a billion other things and it just appears to be still, go half-way around the planet and you'll see a 'different' moon.

Everything else you said is retarded too, even more so really.
>>
>>30989839
How did life arise on Earth but no where else?
That's fucking improbable.

There must be something keeping intelligent life down.

There are millions of duplicate Earths in our galaxy and yet none of them broadcast radio like we do?
That's so scary.
There must be something so silence us.

If you believe in astronomy, you must believe we all die in a half century. I will live through that and likely you will too. It will be saddest parts of our lives.
>>
>>30989852
You act like any orbit around the moon will go unaccosted.

The benefit of the Far Side is to see antagonists coming.
Fire a interceptor.
Easy disablor.

The Far Side benefits from detection. Distance is a factor of that.
Any warhead will need to orbit the Moon, and the Far Side would surely have detectors on the Near Side and also the equator.
Easy pickings for interceptors.
>>
>>30989736
One reason kinetic impactors probably aren't used is because the only people we can use them on (those countries with comparable military capabilities and also a space program) are in some way involved with trade with us and we don't want to start wars with people we do trade with. Secondly we probably haven't built/used them for the same reason we don't use nuclear weapons against one another (except that one time), because their destructive potential significantly exceeds that of more conventional weapons.

Imagine Chelyabinsk but instead of a meteor which loses most of itself during reentry the object was block of tungsten with a heat shield which keeps it mostly intact for impact.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Y3I1w5Becs
>>
>>30989799
>Doesn't consider dark energy or dark matter
There are forces we can't yet measure or detect except by their influence on other forces.
There can be a ton of communication systems at work that we can not tap into. Imagine a guy in 001AD trying to understand IP packets. If %70 of the energy in the universe is undetectable to us, that is where we are. Blind, deaf and dumb.
>>
>>30988292
Space is really really empty mate, there is no real risk of being hit by anything in that degree, even with the junking up of space that's going on. Micrometeors are a problem, but less because they're dangerous and more because they hit shuttles, satellites, etc and damage/move them.

>astronauts have some pretty big balls spending months in space
They dgaf about being hit by shit, they care about the destroyed health they have. Spherical hearts aren't a fun time, neither is heart disease or osteoporosis.
>>
>>30989863
The absence of evidence is not the same as evidence of absence
>>
File: fBcdJIh.gif (2MB, 360x202px) Image search: [Google]
fBcdJIh.gif
2MB, 360x202px
>>30989930
(you)
>>
>>30989936
But if there are millions of worlds of intelligent beings, we should have a slice of their evolution.
Even if they eventually learn to communicate outside our detection, there should be so remnants and some primitive beings still there.

Radio doesn't go away once you invent something better.
Why aren't there old broadcasts?

There has been NOTHING for a hundred years and that is saying a huge amount.

The galaxy is hundred thousand years across and none of those star systems broadcasted anything on radio?

That's absurd.

We don't hear anything on radio because life is excluded on the grand scheme. There is something to keep life down.
We haven't experienced it yet, but there will come a time when we realize that everything we've done is useless and we'll be confined to our system.

If we weren't then the 100 million systems in our galaxy would scream "Life!" to us.
Because it doesn't there must be some mechanism to prevent it.
>>
>>30989973
>Just another day in the motherland.
>>
>>30989947
>there is no real risk of being hit by anything in that degree
Was watching a video today, astronaut was space walking on Mir, said he literally watch a watermelon size hole in one of the solar arrays get made right next to him.
>>
>>30989968
But it is!

You're right when you're dealing with a few dozen examples.

When you're dealing with MILLIONS of worlds, the absence of evidence means something is fucking up.

You can only claim that shit if you're talking about a few dozen objects.
How do you rationalize hundreds of millions?
You can't.

There is nothing out there and that means we're all going to die in the next 100 years
>>
>>30989980
Dude, i'm not your doctor, but you need to smoke less weed.
>>
>>30989998
Arthur C. Clark theorized that Super Novae were industrial accidents.
>>
>>30989799
>That entire second half
I wrote a decently long reply as I was reading this, and then laughed while closing the window after seeing the extra special retardation.
>>
>>30990016
>Fucking around with your star.
The Ayys do this shit to themselves.
>>
>>30989988
>Was watching a video today
Which you don't link for some reason?
>>
>>30989998
No, its logically not.

There was an absence of evidence for bacteria, yet it existed. It did not spring into existence with the advent of the microscope. We just lacked the means to detect it.
>>
>>30989998
>But it is!
No it's not. Stop talking.

>How do you rationalize hundreds of millions?
Do you have literally ANY evidence there are millions of worlds that can and do sustain life, let alone sufficiently intelligent life to do anything you've claimed?
>>
>>30989980
>Why aren't there old broadcasts?
>What is signal degradation

>There is something to keep life down.
Are you the nanomachine anon? Because you sound about as stupid.
>>
>>30990016
Other authors have said that Novas and Super Novas are artificial in order to create propellants for interstellar solar sailors.

>>30990028
You're refusing to see the truth.
Imagine a million civilizations over a million years.
If even one discovers von Neumann probes, the entire galaxy is filled with them.
Think about it.
All it takes is ONE.
Out of a million stars, if just one invents a von Neumann probe, we're lousy with them.

The fact that we aren't is worrisome.
Statistics say that at any given observation point, you're likely to see the middle.
The fact that now, the likely "middle" of all time, we don't see any probes, means that there is some factor preventing them.
And that is scary as fuck as we have not yet launched our own.
What will happen inbetween now and then?

If we launch a von Neumann probe now, it's like an old man having a baby. But we haven't.
Since our skies are empty, it means that it must be extraordinarily rare.
It mustn't have happened yet on a galactic scale and that is scary.
If that hasn't happened in the millions of years of life, it means we could be in the failing part of life.
The ones that don't make interstellar seeding.
>>
>>30990045
https://youtu.be/GGmaXX59aq8?t=5m34s

Start at 5:34

You deeply need to fuck off back to /x/
>>
>>30988907
matt damon playing the same aw shucks normal joe character he's been playing forever

sort of cringey "science is AWESOME" type dialogue e.g. "imma science the shit outta this"

not enough tension, or sacrifice
once he got the potato farm running he was basically home free, and the last 1/3rd of the movie was just him driving from point a to b while quipping about disco
>>
>>30990112
There was plenty of tension, from the prospect of starving to when he blew up his farm.
>>
>>30990062
>>30990070
Look, both of you.

The Sun is a G type star.
There are billions of them in galaxy.

Then there are million of them with rocky planets far enough to have liquid water.

Life is a gamble, but if you roll literally a billion dice, millions will come up sixes.
And that's what we are.

The galaxy should be filled with life, but we haven't seen any of it.
Isn't that scary as fuck?

No radio, no fucking aged infrared, no H-band no x-ray, no gamma, no nothing.
No stars have modified outputs.

The galaxy ought to have millions of us.
That means there are 100 of millions of failures but that's normal.
Earth type planets are 1 in a million but there are enough planets to saturate our galaxy with life.

So why aren't we seeing any?

Extinction will come quick. It has to. Otherwise we'll see other civilzations.
>>
>>30990087
>Imagine a million civilizations over a million years.
[Numerous citations required]

>If even one discovers von Neumann probes, the entire galaxy is filled with them.
Why? For what purpose? Also, prime directive, time frame, space is huge, etc etc

>All it takes is ONE.
No it doesn't. Things break, get destroyed, etc.

>means that there is some factor preventing them.
You're making assumptions that are based on assumptions of assumptions.

>If we launch a von Neumann probe now
We in no way have that technology, and will not for at least a good 30 years, at the very best.

>If that hasn't happened in the millions of years of life
>There have been millions of years of sentient and sufficiently intelligent life.
>>
>>30990087
statistics a shit which can prove anything

statistics can prove that we live in a simulated universe. you didn't believe? see:

a) a sufficiently developed civilization can launch multiple simulated universes, possibly millions and billions of them as personal toys launched by its citizens; also there are multitudes of such civilizations in the universe with all its galaxy clusters and clusters of galaxy clusters and stuff and its billions years of history

b) simulated people in a simulated universe can't realize they are simulated by a computer and feel exactly like we feel

c) therefore the amount of simulated people who feel exactly as we feel is billions on billions times bigger than the number of the real people

conclusion: therefore we are almost surely simulated people, there is a very little chance we live in the real world
>>
>>30990091
>Start at 5:34
I'll freely admit I was wrong about the risk, but I will maintain that was a fluke. We know micrometeors do hit the ISS, satellites, and shuttles, but they don't cause any major damage.

>You deeply need to fuck off back to /x/
All I said was space is empty and thus results in a minimal risk of being lethally hit by shit, where does /x/ come in at all? I've never even been to /x/.
>>
>>30989980
Plenty of life doesn't get intelligent.
Its incredibly fortunate that there is any life on Earth.
That some of that life has the ability to broadcast on the electromagnetic spectrum is nothing short of ridiculous.
>>
File: 5s9Z04KLUHM.jpg (193KB, 1280x921px) Image search: [Google]
5s9Z04KLUHM.jpg
193KB, 1280x921px
>>30990119
>You're making assumptions that are based on assumptions of assumptions.
Literally my favorite type of assumption
>>
>>30990117
>There are billions of them in galaxy.
>Where is the evidence

>Then there are million of them with rocky planets far enough to have liquid water.
>Where is the evidence

>The galaxy should be filled with life
Says fucking what, I agree that alien life likely exists, but fuck, we have literally no evidence or reason to think there's 'millions' of planets with life, let alone intelligent.

>The galaxy ought to have millions of us.
Based on what?

>So why aren't we seeing any?
There are literally hundreds of explanations other than 'the space illuminati is causing extinction everywhere'.
>>
>>30990117
Conversely, by the same coin the odds can be interpreted that we just happened to be in our galaxy without anyone relatively "adjacent" to us.

Space is fucking unfathomably huge, why isn't it reasonable to assume that we're fairly alone or that if there is something out there, it's just really really fucking far away?
>>
>>30990117
You are talking about The Great Filter. This filter could lay on any of the steps between life forming and a species becoming interstellar. The great filter could be ahead of us, but it could just as easily be behind us.
>>
>>30990184
>There are literally hundreds of explanations other than 'the space illuminati is causing extinction everywhere'.
Oh come now anon, it is obviously (((them)))
>>
>>30990149
We are very likely simulated but in our simulation, it takes just ONE out of millions to colonize the galaxy.
The fact that the universe may be artificial is irrelevant.

In this reality, it just takes one out of billions of years to make a mark that anyone can read.

We haven't read any mark and that is scary as fuck.

>>30990119
You are seeing things in a human time span.
Complex life as existed on Earth for a billion years. And life here was a late comer.
How are humans to be the judgement of galactic life development?
Likely, we're not.

The basic thing is that you are underestimating astronomers. Even if you're "right" and advanced species cover up their radio transmissions, there is the world over and then the next world over, and then the whole galaxy across.
Even since Macaroni, we should be hearing distant broadcasts.

This is all because the foundations of life are extremely common and because statistics say that we shouldn't be an extreme, it means we should be in the middle.
And being in the middle means hearing everyone else.

Don't forget that watery Earth is part of millions of other planets in the galaxy.

It's like drawing from a deck of millions. How many Queen of Hearts will you draw? So many. It sounds rare in only 52, but expand the deck and it becomes more common.

There is nothing special about Earth. There ought to be many like it
>>
>>30990192
The Great Filter is unlikely to be behind us.
Stats say that if you take random samply, you are ought to be in the middle.

The Great Filter only comes into affect at the End and therefore we are more likely to be before it.

Since we haven't launched a single interplanetary colonizer, let alone an interstellar one, we are well within the Great Filter.

And that should terrify everyone.
>>
>>30986363
>5.1 grain copper-plated steel ball bearing
>50 000 ft/s, aka 34 000 mi/hr
>28 300 ft*lbf, or 38 500 J

The velocities involved are so great that the "point one" grain actually (slightly) matters; the difference between 5.0 and 5.1 grains is 550 ft*lbf, otherwise known as "the energy of a .357 Mag".
>>
>>30987222

Would you start a kickstarter with me to build a nuke base on the moon and holding countries for ransome.
>>
>>30990229
if we are simulated it's an easy answer to fermi's paradox, our simulation simply doesn't support multiple civilizations (and who knows how long it lasts too)
>>
File: varg_by_qarrezel-d68zvz0.jpg (120KB, 1024x552px) Image search: [Google]
varg_by_qarrezel-d68zvz0.jpg
120KB, 1024x552px
>>30990255
Only if our space suits looked like wolf suits
>>
>>30990203
The space jews?
>>
>>30990249
>Stats say that if you take random samply, you are ought to be in the middle.

Holy shit you're an idiot. Never mind.
>>
>>30990267
Lets do theis shit
>>
>>30990260
If a super-universe could simulate ours in as much detail as it is ( I mean shit, I can jack off while under the influence of so many drugs, and many other people do too), why limit it to one civilzation?
Why do a whole universe with one people on it?

We're back at the basic question.
It doesn't matter whether we're simulated or not.
Our universe acts on its own accord.
>>
>>30990276
Nigger, that's literally true.
Stop trying to act smart.
>>
>>30990229
>And life here was a late comer.
According to?

>Even since Macaroni, we should be hearing distant broadcasts.
No we shouldn't, signals degrade, radiation dissipates, and for any galaxy spanning radio transmission you'd need probably more energy than the sum total of energy produced in human history and for the next 1000 years.

>This is all because the foundations of life are extremely common
More common than we thought != extremely common. More importantly, the foundations of life are not the same thing as life, just because a planet has the means to support life does not mean it does.

>There is nothing special about Earth. There ought to be many like it
You've gone from saying there's millions of planets with intelligent life to saying there should be millions of planets that are like earth. You need to stop talking and go see a psychiatrist, you actually sound disturbed.
>>
>>30989799
>von Neumann probe

Yeah because a probe that's able to build other probes is going to be able to harvest all the resources just on a single fucking rock and also somehow have hydrocarbons or plutonium for fuel on that same rock along with all the tools necessary to construct a problem and then just send them straight to the next planet. That's not how space works and it's a fucking stupid idea
>>
>>30990277
Fuck yeah, we've got two.
>>
>>30990321
Kickstarter has funding limit of 50 000 i think some rockets might cost more
>>
>>30990353
We'll call them Kickstarter 1-A through 1-Z then go to 2-A etc. Space fags will love it.

>tfw I want to stick my mancock into that orifice.
>>
>>30990308
Be nice now. I don't disagree that there are probably millions of planets I our galaxy that support life but the poster you're responding fails to understand that given how fucking far away planets are from one another, not only does that mean that it would take a veeeeeeeeessry long time for any aliens to reach us, but it would discourage anyone from traveling into space in the first place
>>
>>30990385
>Be nice now.
I'm not trying to be mean when I said he should see a doctor, I mean that in all sincerity.

He's talking about an invisible force that is systematically causing the extinction of billions of years worth of intelligent life, that is going to come for humanity within the next 100 years. He has used the phrase "There is something to keep life down." repeatedly, he's said "There is something in our galaxy that is silencing radio and preventing probes.".

These aren't the thoughts of a rational, healthy adult, it's a textbook representation of a paranoid schizophrenic.

This is all assuming he's not a retarded summer/x/pol/b/rule2 fag trying to be le epic troll, which he probably is.
>>
>>30990378
>>30990368
What category would space nukes be under? Art,technology there is not one for wapons of mass destruction.
>>
>>30990469
Kickstarter does not support project creation in Finland. :(
>>
>>30990460
No its the thouhts of someone who's read too much scifi by Peter watts
>>
>>30990520
Reminds me of a book series I read recently.
>Humans humaning about the solar system pre FTL.
>Encounter dormant Ayyylien technology.
>Ayylien shit builds a wormhole gate to a sort of wormhole train station between numerous new planets.
>Turns out that the Ayys were capped to a one by a yet unknown and even more advanced species.
>>
>>30990378
Give me a nice picture for the cover.
>>
>>30990520
It's a paranoid delusion based around unknown omnipotent forces deliberately causing the extinction of all life in the universe, which will soon include humanity.

Maybe it evolved from reading too much sci-fi, but if he actually thinks these things, it's a perfect example of a paranoid schizophrenic delusion nonetheless.
>>
>>30990460
it's your paranoid interpretation of his words, we can simply be peacefully isolated like a bunch of wild animals or something

or possibly it's that civilizations usually die themselves before they can achieve a galaxy scale research project (it was a trendy idea during the cold war cos muh nukes)

or may be civilizations naturally quickly lose the interest to exploration and dive into the virtual worlds after they achieve the post-scarcity stage or even before that to save resources

anyway, earth-like planets nowadays are thought by some to be pretty common
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2013/131104-nasa-kepler-earth-habitable-exoplanets/

btw even in our star system there can be life on europe which has liquid water and other stuff
http://www.space.com/26905-jupiter-moon-europa-alien-life.html

furthermore, if the panspermia hypothesis is right, the life is abundant in the universe, even steven hocking said it's pretty possible
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panspermia
>>
File: Geological_time_spiral.png (2MB, 2424x2145px) Image search: [Google]
Geological_time_spiral.png
2MB, 2424x2145px
>>30989863
>How did life arise on Earth but no where else?

There probably is life out there, but way outside observable distance. Alternatively, we are among the first, and more will follow in the billions of years to come.

Life takes extremely particular circumstances to develop. How many exoplanets are there within the circumstellar habitable zone of their star? How many of those those planets are in a system that has a large planetary body (like Jupiter) that can prevent or limit the large impacts that would cause extinction events and stall the development or evolution of life? How many of those planets have the necessary resources to sustain life, like water? And of those that exist, how many have been around for long enough, young planets won't have life.

On Earth, complex lifeforms have been around a relatively short period. It took a significant amount of time for the conditions to become perfect for the complex and rich biosphere (including humans) that we now enjoy. Hell, complex life wouldn't have been possible without the terraforming effects of simple microscopic lifeforms over billions of years. Earth is 4.6 billion years old. Multicellular life first appeared within the last billion years, and complex lifeforms have existed for scant more than 500 millions years from the present, and most of all those creatures have died thanks to unforeseen extinction events that ravaged the precise conditions necessary for their survival.

Life needs perfect conditions and time. How many places like that do you know of that we also can see closely and clearly enough with our modern technology?
>>
>>30990624
>it's your paranoid interpretation of his words

"There is something in our galaxy that is silencing radio and preventing probes."

"Tomorrow we SHOULD die."

There must be something keeping intelligent life down.

"There must be something so silence us."

"If you believe in astronomy, you must believe we all die in a half century."

"We don't hear anything on radio because life is excluded on the grand scheme. There is something to keep life down."

"Because it doesn't there must be some mechanism to prevent it."

"we're all going to die in the next 100 years"

"Extinction will come quick. It has to."

>it's your paranoid interpretation of his words, we can simply be peacefully isolated like a bunch of wild animals or something
Yeah, no. That's not what he's been saying in any way whatsoever, he is quite clearly taking about a malevolent force acting upon the entire universe.

Also
>No you! style argument
Are you a child?

1/2
>>
>>30990624
>>30990740
2/2

>or possibly it's that civilizations usually die themselves before they can achieve a galaxy scale research project
Literally his first post claimed we have the tech to make von Neumann probes and that they'd be "in very star system everywhere." within a million years.

>or may be civilizations naturally quickly lose the interest to exploration and dive into the virtual worlds after they achieve the post-scarcity stage or even before that to save resources
He's literally said nothing like that and has been claiming the opposite.

>anyway, earth-like planets nowadays are thought by some to be pretty common
And? I've not argued otherwise, but instead that we don't have evidence of 'millions' of life sustaining planets, and more specifically that his claim of 'extremely common' is complete bullshit.

>btw even in our star system there can be life on europe which has liquid water and other stuff
First off you mean Europa, second that's not exactly uncommon knowledge, and third what's your point? The conditions required for Earth-like life is in no way evidence of intelligent life, let alone millions of different intelligent lifeforms, let alone the billions of years worth of intelligent life he's claiming have gone extinct.

I'm reasonably convinced you're just him trying to troll differently, and I highly recommend suicide. I'm done talking to you and your middle-school tier brain, have a nice day.
>>
File: 314645982_orig.jpg (84KB, 610x457px) Image search: [Google]
314645982_orig.jpg
84KB, 610x457px
>>30989799

Fermir's Paradox solution is probably more mundane. The genesis of life, given the right conditions, occur fairly fast. There's a Great Filter, but it is not the genesis of life. Multi-cellular took a lot longer time to develop. The Earth remained a slimeball for nearly 3 billion years. The cells did not become complex enough to form multi-cellular life until the last 600/800 million years ago. Intelligence is also not that unique, as dolphins show.

Time seems one of the answers. Of all the sun-like stars and Earth-like planets that will ever form over the full past and future history of star formation in our universe, Earth is early. It's part of the first 8%. It is very possible that we are a very early outlier, and any other civilization are so distant as to not yet be apparent. It is possible that humanity is a first-generation intelligence.

There's another Great Filter: Gamma Ray Burst. A Gamma Ray Burst is a coherent beam of gamma rays, probably product of an hypernova, that could kill everything in our planet or even our system. We know them, because we see them constantly. Lucky for us, most of them come from other galaxies. Still it could kill us all if it ever happened within 4000 light-years.

Gamma Ray Burst were probably more common and galaxies smaller in the early universe. Any live then could have been exterminated by the abundance of Gamma Rays. In fact, only 10% of all the galaxies are habitable. We live in relatively calmer era after the violence of the age of space monsters of the starburst and quasar epochs.
>>
>>30990751
you behave as if it was his idea. its called fermi paradox and is indeed a mystery. to claim the earth as an unique case is anthropocentrism similar to medieval ideas of earth being in the centre of universe
>>
>>30990740
>>30990751
Holy shit, it just keeps going
>>
>>30990769
implying it would kill life shielded by water... also what about silicon life which is a likely possibility
>>
>>30986363
Did you just watch Planetes or something?
>>
>>30990810

Actually, we may have been hit by a Gamma Ray in the distant past. Gamma Rays could have caused the Ordovician extinction 450 million years ago, that eradicated almost 85% of all marine species (read all life of the time).
>>
>>30990769

>A Gamma Ray lasting mere 10 seconds is enough to destroy half the ozone layer.
>There are Gamma Rays that last over a minute.
>It's impossible to detect as it travels at the speed of light because it is light.

You can panic now.
>>
>>30990810

>what about silicon life

Gamma Rays break molecular bounds. Silicon life is probably rarer and less complex anyway, as Silicon is not as capable to form as many bounds.
>>
>>30990751
>Literally his first post claimed we have the tech to make von Neumann probes and that they'd be "in very star system everywhere." within a million years.

that's a possible way for a civilization to manifest itself

i don't see much point to send them to every star in the galaxy though if they are slower than light, in that case the data will come to you when it's likely of no need anymore (assuming your civilization exists in the million years), if they are faster of life (what would you do with all that data about stars far outside of your immediate vicinity)... well at least it has some sense, so ftl self-replicating probes are more possible (assuming ftl itself is possible) to meet
>>
>>30986363
An 8g ball bearing travelling at 34000mph would roughly equate to being hit by a 2 ton car travelling at 100 or 110 km/h.
>>
>>30990827
OP here, nope. Just finished reading all 400 pages of the crew survivability report form the Columbia disaster.
>>
>>30990875
faster of life = faster than light

dont ask me how i make such mistakes
>>
File: 19cr5zi0zzq9yjpg.jpg (20KB, 636x247px) Image search: [Google]
19cr5zi0zzq9yjpg.jpg
20KB, 636x247px
No civilizations powered by artificial microblackholes yet.
>>
>>30986363
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-satellite_weapon#Soviet_Union

We just have to wait for Putin to start this back up.
>>
>>30989852
THe moon appears different from different parts of earth but that's because it's rotated and you see a slightly different portion. There is in fact a portion of the moon which never faces earth.
>>
>>30990970
>There is in fact a portion of the moon which never faces earth.
Source?
>>
>>30987034
>God dammed aliens trying to get in...
>>
>>30991031
it's a common knowledge they had to teach you in the junior school

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Far_side_of_the_Moon
>>
>>30991031
Um...the moon is tidally locked...that's not controversial information...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tidal_locking#The_Moon
>>
>>30991038
>>30991041
Read >>30990970

>THe moon appears different from different parts of earth but that's because it's rotated and you see a slightly different portion. There is in fact a portion of the moon which never faces earth.

>herp derp muh gary larson's the far side
>>
>>30990316
What do you think we "are" faggot.
>>
why not? a probe can gather hydrogen for fuel from the space or from a gas giant and it's not impossible to find metals and stuff on the asteroids, small planets etc. if there are no such things around this star and it's impossible to build a new probe, the probe simply travels to another star or if it can't, it still doesn't matter much since any system which has resources to build a probe can build scores of them
>>
>>30991137
>life is the von newmann probe

I hear his mind exploding from here
>>
>>30991166
It's a fun thought isn't it? I threw the faggot in just for flavor.
>>
File: Wat.jpg (1MB, 2004x1362px) Image search: [Google]
Wat.jpg
1MB, 2004x1362px
>>30991094
>>
>>30991165
>a probe can gather hydrogen for fuel from a gas giant
How?

Explain how a simple probe will be able to extract hydrogen from a gas giant without entering its atmosphere.
>>
>>30989863
We have only had radios broadcasting that powerfully for 50 to 70 years.

If radio travels at light speed then the time for a return signal is the same as the outbound.

This means if we assume and instant response we have covered 25 to 35 light years.

There are 133 stars within 50light years, very limited odds
>>
>>30989980
Real talk, we didn't have radio hundreds lf years ago. If an alien civilization evolved at exactly the same rate as us, on a planet 200 light years away, then the signals we get from that planet would be the shit we would see from when it happened in 1816. They might just not have radios yet.
>>
>>30991166
shit, I thought my neighbors were fucking around with fireworks again.
>>
>>30991213

you seem to imagine the probe as some simple probe we send nowadays. a proper von neuman probe would be a large robot spaceship with fuckton of lesser robot spaceships and production robots aboard including possibly an atmospheric scoop to gather hydrogen from gas giants, scout spaceships, spaceships to deliver mining/production robots opn the surface etc

also check
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmospheric_mining
but it barely has any info

p.s. as for gathering from the space see
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bussard_ramjet
>>
>>30986517
it zips right through, leaving a thin, clean wound channel and sucking out a small spurt of blood and innards
at those speeds it's actually hard to couple your energy into anything
>>
>>30990117
> No stars have modified outputs.
Tabby's Star does
>>
File: I'll Bite.png (40KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
I'll Bite.png
40KB, 625x626px
>>30991031
>>30991094
What the fuck.
>>
>>30990203
Fucking big-eared bastards.
>>
>>30991415
the lobes know
>>
>>30987348
I like you, Man. You are very not-stupid.
>>
>>30986363
It would kill you like a .45 at 13.,000 mph or a screw traveling at 13,000 mph.

we wont do that. NEO is getting very crowded as-is, and chucking debris is self-harming. Lazers is where it's at, we can already dazzle or cook satellites like a baked potato, no need to produce a million little fragments to accomplish the same result.
>>
>>30990229
>It's like drawing from a deck of millions. How many Queen of Hearts will you draw? So many. It sounds rare in only 52, but expand the deck and it becomes more common.

So does the possible distance between each Queen of Hearts.
At first, you were guaranteed 1 in every 52
Now you can fucking draw 5,000 before you finally draw one.
Didn't realize commune members shitposted on intergalactic hologram boards.
>>
>>30987800
More people need to read that book. And I still get choked up at the end
>>
>>30990112
I read the book and it was riveting to say the least. They go into the science aspect of it heavily and I appreciated that.

To see the movie adhere to the book, at least in my perspective, was an awesome accomplishment.
>>
>>30991445
pleb genre fiction
read something real like i dunno the waves by virginia woolf
>>
>>30991200
Pretty sure I shot a guy on top of that tower once.
Pretty sure it was in Joint Ops: Escalation.
>>
>>30989799
>Even in modern tech, we could construct a probe that could create itself from an asteroid.

Fuck, the stupid, it burns.
>>
>>30991447
>To see the movie
>was an awesome accomplishment

No movie was ever released based on this book....Time traveler detected.
>>
File: the_great_silence.png (214KB, 1348x1086px) Image search: [Google]
the_great_silence.png
214KB, 1348x1086px
Bump
>>
>>30990543
what book?
>>
>>30991464
>>
>>30992190
I think he's describing mass effect
>>
File: 1352409626495.jpg (22KB, 240x311px) Image search: [Google]
1352409626495.jpg
22KB, 240x311px
>>30991930

There are several articles and theories floating around that the universe is only now becoming habitable and we're one of the first species to utilise it to the fullest extent.

https://www.google.dk/search?q=extraterrestrial+life+gamma+ray+burst&oq=extraterrestrial+life+gamma+ray+burst&aqs=chrome..69i57.15359j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

tl;dr GRBs stopped being serious business recently, but are still responsible for keeping most alien life on the down-low, maybe for another few billion years

PS tl;dr humanity got lucky as fuck and we could literally be amongst the few ancient civilisations in existence, if not the only one

>yfw we are the forerunners and will probably wipe ourselves out, leaving behind sites for future civilisations to discover and figure out what happened to us
>>
>>30992252

I deleted my shitpost.
>>
>>30990588
no its not a good example of paranoid schizophrenia, just of being edgy and dramatic. I'd call it histrionic before i'd call it schizophrenic
Thread posts: 166
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.