[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /K/ are reasonably priced 1911s unreliable, like the Remington

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

File: rem1911hrdpnshot.jpg (178KB, 579x346px) Image search: [Google]
rem1911hrdpnshot.jpg
178KB, 579x346px
Hey /K/ are reasonably priced 1911s unreliable, like the Remington R1, like opposed to a more modern firearm?
>>
colt 1991 series 70 is the cheapest you should go if you want a reliable 1911
>>
>>30985960
so a more modern pistol would be best? I am in no way looking to spend over 700$ for just the gun itself
>>
>>30985804
Price is in no way an indication of a modern 1911's reliability. It's mostly an indication of materials used, branding, and cosmetic features. Due to variances between manufacturers in both dimensional clearances and quality control standards, the only way to tell if a 1911 is basically reliable is to perform a handful of tests on the construction and assembly of each individual gun.
>>
>>30985960
Youre wrong. Springfield mil spec is cheaper, and a better gun.
>>
>>30986065
As an addendum to this, most 1911s work pretty well most of the time and most of the issues that will pop up are from poorly tuned extractors and/or improperly designed magazines rather than poorly built guns (though they are out there).
>>
>>30986113
what is an indicator of a good magazine, or a not poorly tuned extractor?
>>
If you want a cheap, extremely reliable, single stack .45 just get a old p220
>>
>>30986154
cheap isn't necessarily what I'm after, just no more than 700$
>>
I have a Springfield RO. never had problems with it. It's dropped off about 100 bucks from so around 750+
>>
File: WP_20150420_004.jpg (526KB, 1632x1224px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20150420_004.jpg
526KB, 1632x1224px
>>30986133
People will undoubtedly shill Wilson Combat magazines, but their only real merit is their durability.

Your best overall magazines (as far as reliability) will have medium length feed lips with a slight taper and a dimpled follower. These feed a wide variety of ammo shapes and weights reliably pretty much all of the time. The extremes of shape and weight will give them some trouble. Full-length, tapered feed lips feed full-weight ball ammo supremely well, but the release point is too late for most hollow points. Short, straight feed lips have a nice early release point for light weight bullets, but release heavy ball ammo too early and cause problems.

Basically, for maximum reliability:
For ball ammo use medium or full-length feed lips that are tapered and for hollow points use short, straight feed lips.
>>
>>30986284
thank you, very helpful. have you heard anything regarding the R1? it was what I was looking at, the price was right and I liked the concept behind it. wouldn't be opposed to new mags for it.
>>
>>30986133
As for the extractor, the test requires a field-stripped slide and a live bullet.

Take the slide and slide the bullet under the extractor. Take the slide with bullet inserted and and shake it around a bit. The bullet should rattle around, but not fall out (at least, not immediately). If the bullet falls out right away the extractor is too loose. If it's solid like a rock, then it's too tight.

Tuning is easy enough for the end user. Take out the extractor and re-insert it backwards and rotated 90 degrees clockwise if too loose and counter-clockwise if too tight. Place the slide on a table and push down on the end of the extractor. Reinsert the extractor properly and test again. Repeat until you achieve desired results.
>>
>>30986378
I've not heard a lot negative about it and what I have is most likely attributable to extractor and magazine issues.

Anyway, as I mentioned before. Most 1911s work most of the time. My advice; live a little. Life's too short to buy a gun you won't enjoy as much (i.e. a "more modern firearm") just because it will be slightly more reliable than the one you really want.
>>
Get a star super B 9mm i cleaned mine up good the first time and haven't had a problem since $300
>>
>>30985804
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtFX3JBYsIg
>>
>>30986133
I don't trust Kimber pistols, but their magazines have been great in my Taurus 1911.

>>30986470
Truly a junk hipster gun with poor metallurgy.
>>
>>30986468
ah hell, you bring a good point to the table man. I'm gonna go for it. I'm sure I can find help if I have any issues down the road. Thank you very much.
>>
>>30986494

I hope the ghost of that faggot's father haunts him for the rest of his life.
>>
File: fuckthatguy.gif (141KB, 600x742px) Image search: [Google]
fuckthatguy.gif
141KB, 600x742px
>>30986494
>>
The new Ruger SR1911 is a comparable option for the same price range as the R1, but not the R1 Enhanced model. I have the Ruger, my brother has the R1, both are sweet shooters but my Ruger feels more solid.

Neither has had any problems with the factory mags nor extractors, and I've yet to have any malfunctions with any ammunition in 230-grain hardball. Most reviews I've seen don't show problems using hollowpoints but I don't carry HPs so I can't vouch for that. My brother's R1 feeds HPs all day long with no problems though.

There's merit to both, up to you OP
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.