[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If i use my water filter out in the woods to get drinking water,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5

File: 1410289527757.png (98KB, 600x500px) Image search: [Google]
1410289527757.png
98KB, 600x500px
If i use my water filter out in the woods to get drinking water, should I also boil it or will a good filter be enough?
I live in Norway
>>
>>30980577
I don't think boiling the filter will help.
>>
Definitely boil it first.
>>
Dude, most places in Norway you don't even need to boil/filter it.
>>
>>30980577
You can use urine as antiseptic filter.

(the more you know...)
>>
Boil it first if possible.
>>
>>30980623
>>30980584
These.

There is no such thing as too safe for things you're putting into your body.
>>
In Maine you don't need to boil it &
>>
>>30980653
Yeah, but you're talking about Maine. No one else is talking about Maine.
>>
>>30980577
I filter and use iodine.
>>
In the military I was given these small pills you could use to make lake water safe to drink, i think it was some iodine compound t. finnish
>>
>>30980685
I am, bitch.
>>
The only good filters worth trusting completely aren't really for innawoods (ceramic filters are what those are). Sawyers are about the best you can use for sticking in a backpack but I'd still boil those. Hell I'd still boil the ceramic filtered water if I had the option, as stated upthread there's no such thing as too safe.
>>
>>30980735
But it is Maine. Why would anyone talk about Maine if Maine wasn't the focal topic. If Maine isn't pertinent then Maine shouldn't be discussed. Go to a Maine website if you want to chat about Maine.
>>
>>30980750
i have sawyer water filter
i also have seychelles water filter which is much better but limited use, can drink stagnant water in emergencies i think
>>
>>30980770
Do you have a link to a Maine web site where I can discuss Maine? Sure do like me some Maine!
>>
>>30980815
A bit of Trivia: People from Hawaii don't like people from Maine. Also - people from Maine never noticed Hawaii.
>>
>>30980577
boil to kill microbes first, filter to get out heavy particles.

treating water usually consists of coagulation first, sedimentation, then filtration, then disinfection. thats for large quantities of water, but for your purposes, boiling the water should be enough to disinfect. depending on where youre getting the water from, filtration might not be needed. dont filter hot water.
>>
>>30980621
>let's use waste to clean waste.
>>
>>30980577
Running water is probably clean enough to just drink directly, if it's a pool, definitely boil and filter.
>>
>>30981100
the ammonia in piss can clean water if combined with small amounts of chlorine.

4 parts chlorine, 1 part ammonia.
>>
>>30981100
Only the last bits of urine you piss out are full of waste. The rest is fine to drink in moderation if you have to.
>>
urine is only sterile when it comes out a catheter, if it comes out your dick its no longer sterile!!!
t. medical professional
>>
File: voss water.jpg (20KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
voss water.jpg
20KB, 600x600px
>>30980577
We buy this stuff from your country

Go back 50 years, walk up to some schmoe on the street and tell them that in the future, water will be sold in bottles and will cost much more than gasoline or milk.

What an interesting time we live in /k/. There is no end in sight for the ways we fuck up our very own water supply, including "we are actually concerned about your pretty smile" fluoride maymay. I'm still amused that so many people still believe that fluorosilicic acid, sodium fluorosilicate, and sodium fluoride, mostly waste products from industry that the company would have to pay to dispose of otherwise, are the same as natural fluoride found in the earth and utilized by vegetation, which is what the "studies" were based on.

>guys we really need to make it a national priority to help your teeth!

Just spend an afternoon studying the work of Edward Bernays and his masterful spin techniques used to sell the idea that a toxic chemical which causes brain damage and fluorosis, should go IN YOUR DRINKING WATER.

Truly sad, but at least it proves the brainwashing is working famblam
>>
Isn't this more of an /out/ kind of question?
>>
>>30981173

Don't forget how it interferes with thyroid function.

Synthroid is one of the most prescribed medications in the US.
>>
>>30981198
Are you claiming it does not work?
>>
>>30981262

Could you rephrase your question?
>>
>>30981262
anon is saying that sodium fluoride interferes with thyroid function, and as a result, thyroid medication prescriptions are in the billions of dollars.

this should -not- be happening but our society has been trained to think that most people will die of cancer/ disease and everyone needs to be on meds eventually.
>>
>>30980653
tfw drinking from a fresh, cold mountain stream in the great state of Maine
>>
File: 1456066406893.jpg (183KB, 1310x784px) Image search: [Google]
1456066406893.jpg
183KB, 1310x784px
Are you one of those arabs who came here in the last few years?
99 % of fresh water in Norway is safe to drink without treatment if taken from a spot with a moderate current.

Source: Have been drinking that water in the woods and on the mountains for god knows how long.
>>
>>30981382

Exactly. Which is why I was confused by his question.

Symptoms of hypothyroidism include, but are not limited to: Lethargy, difficulty concentrating, impaired memory, weight gain, irritability, depression, hair loss, dry skin, brittle nails, sexual dysfunction...

It also goes severely underdiagnosed, especially among young men.
>>
>>30981104
No. You don't know what shit might be dead upstream.

I was hiking in the Dominican republic with a missionary group in 2014 and they all started drinking in a stream we came across near the travacia, no filtration. Saying it was as fresh as God could make it or some shit. Later when we made it to the travacia we heard the villagers talking about a dead cow they'd found upstream of our location.
>>
>>30980577
just drink out of a fjord, mate
>>
>>30981435
what is that on the waffles mate

is that thin slices of goat cheese? that's all i could find :\
>>
>>30982484
yep it is.
from my time in norway I remember that they love putting it on their waffles and it tastes somewhat sweet
>>
>>30981435
>99 % of fresh water in Norway is safe to drink without treatment if taken from a spot with a moderate current.

You'll still have animal feces from various critters putting bacteria/protozoa/viruses into that water, and God knows what you yourself have living in your body thanks to drinking that.
>>
>>30980844
a bit of trivia: hawaii is an expensive shithole
maine is a pretty, expensive shithole
>>
>>30982599

Tbh man hawaii is pretty beautiful
>>
If I'm going to eat or drink something I want it to be as clean as I can get it. Boil it anyways
>>
File: 1415517193584.jpg (76KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
1415517193584.jpg
76KB, 720x480px
>>30982585

>You'll still have animal feces from various critters putting bacteria/protozoa/viruses into that water

This.

Very, very basic knowledge - always check upstream. There can be dead things or old ladies washing their pussy.

If you ignore this then you might as well ignore everything and follow the stupid logic of "me/my friend did not get X so I cannot get X".
>>
File: Goat_roar_by_fbcota.jpg (89KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
Goat_roar_by_fbcota.jpg
89KB, 900x600px
>>30982544
wew lad, i have a hard time liking goat cheese that i have tried but maybe that stuff is better than normal goat cheese.

i cant get over that goat cheese tastes like a goat smells. it's like eating the smell of the outside of a goat.
>>
>>30980685
Wiked good place to live bub.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.