[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

People talk a lot about MOA in long guns and .22's, but

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: 1 MOA Grid 100 Yards Landscape.jpg (98KB, 1100x850px) Image search: [Google]
1 MOA Grid 100 Yards Landscape.jpg
98KB, 1100x850px
People talk a lot about MOA in long guns and .22's, but I never hear of any metric for the modern "combat" handgun, i.e. non-competition, defense caliber handguns.

Is there any kind of accepted way of measuring skill with aforementioned guns? Maybe some sort of drill?
>>
>>30970788
Nope, the focus with modern handguns is how quickly you can dump a 15+ round 9mm magazine into a pelvis at 7 feet.
>>
File: euro-fast-page-001.jpg (366KB, 1240x1754px) Image search: [Google]
euro-fast-page-001.jpg
366KB, 1240x1754px
>>30970939
Yes but isn't there some standard to the pelvis-shooting? Anything? How am I to measure my gun e-peen?
>>
>>30970788
Here are some drills you can print out and take to the range

http://pistol-training.com/drills/dot-torture
>>
>>30971055
I actually did dot torture last time I was at the range, it was fun and probably made me a better shot, but it wasn't a "metric"
>>
>>30970788
Moa still works fine.

But other measure in inches.

Or for ccw and defensive pistols. Or the 10 or 9ring on an nra b27e target
>>
>>30970788
Rifle MOA is usually assessed on a bench. The accuracy of the rifle is a big piece of what you're measuring here. you're usually shooting pistols standing, so you aren't really measuring the accuracy of the pistol, you're measuring the accuracy of the shooter.
>>
How big should my groupings be at 7m? I had head and torso targets yesterday, some with organ zones. Some holes were close enough to connect with other holes, others were on their own a few inches away.

Basically, there were noticeable groupings in the general head and torso area, very few outliers, but not CHRIS KYLE TIGHT. Is this acceptable for a 9mm CCW?
>>
>>30970962

FAST drill is a breddy gud metric.
Bill Drill.
El Prez.
Triple nickle.
>>
>>30971866
If slow fire, maybe half-dollar size.

The thing to realize in handgun shooting is that accuracy is not the end goal. You should be able to hit a headshot at 25yds on command, but that's just a starting point. Once you realize you can hit anything out to a four inch group at 25yds, then it's just about how fast you can hit it.

Almost every handgun shooting sport and test is about shooting accurately enough, fast enough.
>>
>>30970788
Somewhat related, but how do you guys improve your pistol shooting? I'm a good rifle shot, but my pistol groupings are pretty shitty.
>>
>>30972026
Dry Fire. Lots of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZLVP-93pow
>>
>>30971073
In that case, shooting a target and adding up your point value is a good metric of how accurately you can shoot personally. If you're looking for a way to compare yourself to others, competition is the most direct method. For the accuracy of the pistol, you can still use MoA, but it's not really important unless you're doing highly accurate target shooting.
>>
File: WP_20150225_22_10_50_Pro.jpg (438KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20150225_22_10_50_Pro.jpg
438KB, 1920x1080px
>>30972108
not if you havhe a cz
>>
>>30971944
I was shooting about once every .5 - .75 seconds. I've shot pistols before but never more than a few dozen rounds every few years. Just bought a shield so I fed her 370 rounds yesterday
>>
>>30972284
If you want to improve, set up good, structured practice. Dry fire to live fire sessions should be at least 4/1. Learn what you can practice at home (90% of shooting and gunhandling) and what you need to work on at the range (grip, recoil control, quicker splits, sight tracking). Read books by Steve Anderson, Brian Enos, Ben Stoeger, Saul Kirsh. Keep a shooting log for practice, take notes on what you noticed from each session, then work on it next time.

Get involved with the USPSA community in your area and online. They're the people who are really serious about shooting handguns as a craft.
>>
>>30972366
Arigatou
>>
>>30972247
What's wrong with dry firing CZs?
>>
>>30973234
firing pin held in by roll pin that gets chipped

happens on my GP K100 too
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.