[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Received this a long time ago through a now deceased relative,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 7

File: image.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Received this a long time ago through a now deceased relative, quality seems shit, the fuck is it exactly?
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
some better pics
>>
Seems like a south east asian short sword mind giving me more background op?
>>
>>30955714
Its a traditional japanese weed whacker.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 4032x3024px)
image.jpg
1MB, 4032x3024px
>>30955745
Eh I'm sorry but that's about it, I don't believe he served overseas anywhere, he just recently died of ALS
>>
The letters seem to look like chinese but they are hard to make out
>>
>>30955767
I think they are either Japanese or traditional Chinese.
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>
Actually hang on this might be a vietnamese sword
>>
>>30955776
If someone was able to read the markings this would be much easier, hte first symbol looks loke the chinese charechter for fire.
>>
Thats all i gotta say op, im no expert but i definetly have experience with these kinds of swords
>>
This is a nice find though, you dont see such swords like these
>>
Should I try to ask a weeb board what the characters say?
>>
>>30955827
Yes
>>
>>30955837
Which one?
>>
>>30955714
Go on /int/ and look for the Japanese general, they managed to translate and help me find out about my buddies sword.

Also check under the handle if you can take it off without damaging, that should have the province and makers name
>>
>>30955859
Pic related my buddies sword
>>
Do you live in the US OP? Back in WWII, it was common practice for Japanese officers to surrender their swords to their Allied counterparts as part of the formal reddition. there's proabably a lot of them around in the US still.
>>
Why dont you put a piece of paper over the markings, and rub the pencil tip over it. Like in the big lebowski or some CSI type shit. It would be easier to read since we dont have the thing in our hands
>>
>>30955940
were jap officers swords really short?
>>
Find a ma deuce and start firing it until the barrel is red hot. Try to cut through it. If it works, you're wielding a samurai sword called a "katana."
>>
>>30955959
They were really crummy at least.
>>
eh, ask someone ona sword forum. it looks kind of like a cheap tourist sword to me but im no expert. could be a real military sword, could also be a more valuable antique family sword.

ive never seen markings on antique or military sowrds on the blade like that, usually they are on the tang under the grip. thats why im leaning towards swap meet tourist chinese junk. but the grip looks authentic. do you know where the relative served overseas and what time period?
>>
>>30955952
Yeah, do this, we still dont speak gookish, but it will be way easier
>>
>>30955759
>>30955714
>>30955717
Looks like a crudely made copy of a japanese sword.

I'm not sure how old it is, could be something that actually went into military use by local soldiers, or it might be a cheap post war copy from maybe india or china.

Almost definitely not a shin-gunto.
>>
>>30955959
no ww2 military issue swords were full length. it would have to be a personal family sword or unrelated to the military. part of the unconditional surrender during the occupation aftwards was that no weapons were allowed, including swords. many rare and valuable ancient swords were surrendered by japanese women and families from their households to occupying troops who either destroyed them or took some home as souvenirs
>>
File: sh2472.jpg (19KB, 650x309px) Image search: [Google]
sh2472.jpg
19KB, 650x309px
Maybe its a wackasushi, shorter version of katana, used to commit sudoku
>>
>>30955977
I meant to say whackasushi, sorry, cant really figure the real size, post a hand next to it, if its bit longer than it looks, it might actually be a wankaruski
>>
>>30955974
This, although the hilt looks really too poor quality to be some valuable ancestral sword.
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
OP here the only reply on /Int/ was that it didn't seem jap, I tried to draw it, sorry if it's shit
>>
>>30955714
I've got a bit of a hunch its a post ww2 copy, maybe made somewhere like the Philippines or maybe Malaysia
Sort of thing for souvenirs- mostly because the brass is poorly cast and the blade shows really rough grind marks which you wouldn't get on something from the jap military even towards the end of the war when everything was kind of shitty.
>>
>>30956025
get lead or a crayon and do a rubbing of it dingus
>>
>>30955940
This is not that. OP has a very rusty Chinese fake. I've seen them all over eBay and often are even force-aged with horse piss.

The blade geometry, fitting, markings, and handle wrap are all dead giveaways.
>>
>>30956025
hahahahaha do a rubbing, idiot
>>
>>30955759
Fuck man.

Somebody post some ice bucket challenges to honour him.
>>
>>30955959

Kamikaze pilots often carried wakizashi or tanto length swords instead of full length katana due to limited space inside of the cockpit of their planes.
>>
>>30955714

In my expert opinion it's a piece of shit.
>>
>>30956174
this, it was a common practice at the end of WWII for the chinese to make cheap knockoffs out of scrap metal to sell to allied soldiers because the swords were popular trophies.
>>
Hey OP.

I have a good knowledge on swords, and it will be interesting if you could remove the mekugi (the pins) to see what kind of inscriptions, if any, we can see on the Mei. But overal, seems like shit. Sorry.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.