[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello /k/. Moving to North Carolina soon, moving out of New

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

File: 1459045223747.png (18KB, 499x555px) Image search: [Google]
1459045223747.png
18KB, 499x555px
Hello /k/.

Moving to North Carolina soon, moving out of New York City so I can finally own a gun that I've always wanted.

I was treated for dysthymia in an outpatient therapy at my old university a few years back.

Will this prevent me from buying a permit since NC checks for mental illness?
>>
>>30950343
>treated for dysthymia

Harden the fuck up, bitch.
>>
why would you move here ? it's humid and sucks ass
t. someone who lives in eastern nc
>>
>>30950343
it might. it depends on whether or not they can access those hard copy records within the 14 days they have to approve/deny you. If it does come back, they will then consider whether you are a risk to yourself or others. If you get denied you may be able to get approval by receiving an affidavit from your doctor, or appealing the ruling to the local judge
>>
>>30950415
I was treated, I do not have it anymore.

>>30950416
I got a job down here in Raleigh.
>>
>>30950646
Well they are from a university. They may or may not have it down there in 14 days.

I read that seeking therapy for losing a loved one or going through a break-up doesn't automatically disqualify you.
>>
If you had gone to a shrink, you'll never get a gun here, end of.
>>
>>30950415

whoa dude you're a BAMF

i'll know not to mess with you damn
>>
>>30950343
No just keep your mouth shut
>>
>>30950879
Wrong
>>
>>30951138
How?
>>
File: 322184564.jpg (59KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
322184564.jpg
59KB, 500x375px
>>30950879
t. knows nothing about firearms
>>
>>30950416
Its not as bad as where I am in North Florida
>>
No, you are fine. As long as it does not prevent you from safely handling a gun and you have never been involuntarily committed
>>
>>30950343
The TLDR on gun laws here in NC is basically do whatever unless it's federally banned or full automatic weapons. There's some funny business when buying SBRs but they're legal - you might just have to pay a $200 tax but since I've never bothered with those I don't know for sure.

If you just buy a regular rifle or shotgun (greater than 16" and 18", respectively) all that is involved is filling out a one-page form and the dealer gets a five or ten minute background check on the phone.

We have lots of open space but actual shooting ranges can be few and far between - at least ones that aren't private and require membership fees. http://wheretoshoot.org/ is the fastest way to find ranges and gun shops near you.

If you're looking to buy military surplus then Fayetteville and Spring Lake (the towns right outside of Fort Bragg's gates) has almost as many vet/retiree run surplus stores as we have Korean boot/sewing shops. I don't know about other parts of the state but at the Crown Coliseum Expo Center in Fayetteville there's gun shows throughout the year ( https://www.cegunshows.com/fayetteville--nc.html ) and there's some goofy shit up in the mountains around Boone with gun shows and state militia spergs.

Your mileage may vary depending on city/county, but that's the broad look at NC's gun situation.

Welcome to North Carolina - we're not Arizona but we aren't that bad.

(depending on where you live it can get humid as fuck 365 days a year because of swamps and shit so consider getting an o-ring sealed plastic field can for like $20 to store your ammo in)
>>
>>30951376
>you might just have to pay a $200 tax but since I've never bothered with those I don't know for sure.

It's a federal thing, but it's never been illegal on a national level, just have to fill the paperwork and pay the tax. Any bans on NFA items are purely at the state level.

Basically, you can go hog wild and buy all the SBRs and supressors you want, but you will have to pay an extra $200 for each NFA item.
>>
>>30951376
I know that mostly every gun is legal in NC, I'm talking about getting one.

I was diagnosed with a mental illness a couple of years ago. Not thrown in a psych ward or took drugs to ease it, just did CBT.
>>
>>30952712
Call your county or city police office and ask is my best guess, then.
>>
>>30952783
Thanks.

I actually did read on the NC government website that going to outpatient therapy doesn't automatically exclude you. If I was fired form a job due to it or forced into a psych ward, I'm automatically disqualified.
>>
>>30950343
I spent a week in a psych ward on Long Island and it doesn't ping a 4473 since I wasn't ordered there by a judge.
>>
>>30952927
So you didn't get denied?
>>
>>30952783
i would not do this, I'm not sure you want to show up on their radar

>>30952927
same (not in Long Island ha) but North Carolina is a totally different situation, they can deny you based on mental health vagueries

There's probably NC specific gun forums out there, I would find one and see if anyone has mentioned a similar situation. If not, ask, they'll have had more direct experience than a random sampling of /k/
>>
>>30953636
Will do!

Thanks!
>>
File: Burgerpants3.gif (22KB, 198x197px) Image search: [Google]
Burgerpants3.gif
22KB, 198x197px
>>30950343
I was diagnosed with it for reasons (shitty doc, had hypothyroidism). It's a medical condition that hasn't been recognized since the DSM-III so it shouldn't change anything. The only time it has bearing is if you were committed involuntarily. The permit check is more of a general background, but it will take you longer because you're a new resident. Depending on the city it's either a week wait or they hand it to you after you fill the application out. I can be more specific if you name a city. What is absolutely critical is having an updated driver's license with your new address. A mismatch in the application data and licenses will automatically disqualify you until you get a new ID. Passports will not work. Fortunately you can just order Driver IDs online in NC now. A trip to the DMV is either painless or agony depending on your location. If you head out into the boonies there's no line at all and everyone is nice to you. You can use any DMV, statewide allowances.
You might already know this but the permit is pistols and automatics only. For a long gun they just call an office at the store and check a do-not-sell list with an agent. Welcome to the state.
>>
>>30954444
>Raleigh
Yeah, plan your trip in advance.
>>
>>30954444
I plan on getting a new ID once I'm moved into my new apartment.

My illness however is more mental than physical. I've never been in a psych ward or any of those places, voluntarily or involuntarily.

I know it'll take some time, I expect between like 45-60 days because I'm new to the state.

Thanks for the info!
>>
>>30950879

I bought multiple guns in NC while seeing a shrink. At no point did I even have to disclose my medical history.

You are retarded.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.