[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let's Read: World War Z - An Oral History of the Zombie

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 331
Thread images: 54

File: World_War_Z_book_cover-370x300.jpg (50KB, 370x300px) Image search: [Google]
World_War_Z_book_cover-370x300.jpg
50KB, 370x300px
>World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War (2006) is an apocalyptic horror novel by Max Brooks. The novel is a collection of individual accounts narrated by an agent of the United Nations Postwar Commission, following the devastating global conflict against the zombie plague. Other passages record a decade-long desperate struggle, as experienced by people of various nationalities. The personal accounts also describe the resulting social, political, religious, and environmental changes.

As well as complete and utter ignorance of just about anything related to military tactics or equipment.

>World War Z is a follow-up to Brooks' "survival manual" The Zombie Survival Guide (2003), but its tone is much more serious.

Filled with all sorts of idiotic fuddlore which also leaks into this book.

>Brooks used World War Z to comment on government ineptitude and American isolationism, while also examining survivalism and uncertainty.

As well helping market stupid accessories to gullible people by painting them green and putting biohazard symbols on them. It only speaks to the sad state of many survivalist types that the Zombie Hunters forums aren't the most cringeworthy survivalist community.

Now let's get cracking on the real meat here: the book itself.

Previously on Let's Read: World War Z: >>30910226

We finished the Clusterfuck of Yonkers

Now it's time for PART 3: TURNING THE TIDE
>>
File: Redeker1.jpg (179KB, 620x465px) Image search: [Google]
Redeker1.jpg
179KB, 620x465px
>>30938170
Woops, forgot my trip.

>ROBBEN ISLAND, CAPE TOWN PROVINCE, UNITED STATES OF SOUTHERN AFRICA

>[Xolelwa Azania greets me at his writing desk, inviting me to switch places with him so I can enjoy the cool ocean breeze from his window. He apologizes for the “mess” and insists on clearing the notes off his desk before we continue. Mister Azania is halfway through his third volume of Rainbow Fist: South Africa at War. This volume happens to be about the subject we are discussing, the turning point against the living dead, the moment when his country pulled itself back from the brink.]

At least in this retarded timeline, the South Africans still operate hard.

>Dispassionate, a rather mundane word to describe one of history’s most controversial figures. Some revere him as a savior, some revile him as a monster, but if you ever met Paul Redeker, ever discussed his views of the world and the problems, or more importantly, the solutions to the problems that plague the world, probably the one word that would always cling to your impression of the man is dispassionate.

You have to be pretty callous if your idea of fighting zombies is massed infantry standing shoulder to shoulder with fudd rifles tbqh fampai. I jest but the actual plan is somewhat more sinister.
>>
>>30938187
>Paul always believed, well, perhaps not always, but at least in his adult life, that humanity’s one fundamental flaw was emotion. He used to say that the heart should only exist to pump blood to the brain, that anything else was a waste of time and energy. His papers from university, all dealing with alternate “solutions” to historical, societal quandaries, were what first brought him to the attention of the apartheid government. Many psychobiographers have tried to label him a racist, but, in his own words, “racism is a regrettable by-product of irrational emotion.” ... Redeker believed both love and hate to be irrelevant. To him, they were “impediments of the human condition,” and, in his words again, “imagine what could be accomplished if the human race would only shed its humanity.” Evil? Most would call it that, while others, particularly that small cadre in the center of Pretoria’s power, believed it to be “an invaluable source of liberated intellect."

I mean sure, he might have condemned millions to die, but at least he's not racist.

>Redeker believed that to try to protect everyone would stretch the government’s resources to the breaking point, thus dooming the entire population... Redeker had even gone so far as to calculate who should be “brought aboard.” He included income, IQ, fertility, an entire checklist of “desirable qualities,” including the subject’s location to a potential crisis zone. “The first casualty of the conflict must be our own sentimentality” was the closing statement for his proposal, “for its survival will mean our destruction."

Basically his plan is to have most of population that can be saved holed up in one fortified location. The grisly part of his plan is that you keep isolated pockets of survivors in abandoned zones as a distraction. Sure, you might resupply them, but they are expendable.
>>
>>30938261
>Within minutes they were on a helicopter for Kimberley, the very underground base where Redeker had first written Orange Eighty-Four. He was ushered into a meeting of the president’s surviving cabinet, where his report was read aloud to the room. You should have heard the uproar, with no voice louder than the defense minister’s. He was a Zulu, a ferocious man who’d rather be fighting in the streets than cowering in a bunker.

>The vice president was more concerned about public relations. He didn’t want to imagine what his backside would be worth if news of this plan ever leaked to the population.

>The president looked almost personally insulted by Redeker. He physically grabbed the lapels of the safety and security minister and demanded why in hell he brought him this demented apartheid war criminal.

As it turns out, the person that called for this Redeker guy to come up with the plan was none other than Nelson Mandela.

I feel like this is supposed to evoke various scenes from the War Room in Strangelove, but it falls flat.
>>
>>30938369
>And then came that moment, the one that historians will probably debate until the subject fades from memory. He embraced the white Afrikaner. To anyone else this was simply his signature bear hug, but to Paul Redeker…I know that the majority of psychobiographers continue to paint this man without a soul. That is the generally accepted notion. Paul Redeker: no feelings, no compassion, no heart. However, one of our most revered authors, Biko’s old friend and biographer, postulates that Redeker was actually a deeply sensitive man, too sensitive, in fact, for life in apartheid South Africa. He insists that Redeker’s lifelong jihad against emotion was the only way to protect his sanity from the hatred and brutality he witnessed on a daily basis. Not much is known about Redeker’s childhood, whether he even had parents, or was raised by the state, whether he had friends or was ever loved in any way. Those who knew him from work were hard-pressed to remember witnessing any social interaction or even had parents, or was raised by the state, whether he had friends or was ever loved in any way. Those who knew him from work were hard-pressed to remember witnessing any social interaction or even any physical act of warmth. The embrace by our nation’s father, this genuine emotion piercing his impenetrable shell…

After this, Redeker disappears never to be heard from again. Except!

>[After a parting embrace from my guest, I am driven back to my ferry for the mainland. Security is tight as I sign out my entrance badge... I sign next to my name, under the heading of Robben Island Psychiatric Institution. NAME OF PATIENT YOU ARE VISITING: PAUL REDEKER.]

This reveal/twist which falls flat because he's never relevant again. This isn't even the good kind of shitty infodumb (which I would point to 'Snow Crash' as an example of. Its infodumbs about linguistics are actually interesting and relevant).
>>
>>30938406
>ARMAGH, IRELAND

>[While not a Catholic himself, Philip Adler has joined the throngs of visitors to the pope’s wartime refuge. “My wife is Bavarian,” he explains in the bar of our hotel. “She had to make the pilgrimage to Saint Patrick’s Cathedral.” This is his first time away from Germany since the end of the war. Our meeting is accidental. He does not object to my recorder.]

>Hamburg was heavily infested. They were in the streets, in the buildings, pouring out of the Neuer Elbtunnel. We’d tried to blockade it with civilian vehicles, but they were squirming through any open space like bloated, bloody worms. Refugees were also all over. They’d come from as far away as Saxony, thinking they could escape by sea. The ships were long gone, the port was a mess. We had over a thousand trapped at the Reynolds Aluminiumwerk and at least triple that at the Eurokai terminal. No food, no clean water, just waiting to be rescued with the dead swarming outside, and I don’t know how many infected inside.

>be European
>get eaten by zombies

This is why we American have the 2nd Ammendment lads.

>The harbor was choked with corpses, but corpses that were still moving. We’d blasted them into the harbor with antiriot water cannons; it saved ammo and it helped to keep the streets clear. It was a good idea, until the pressure in the hydrants died. We’d lost our commanding officer two days earlier…freak accident. One of our men had shot a zombie that was almost on top of him. The bullet had gone right through the creature’s head, taking bits of diseased brain tissue out the other end and into the colonel’s shoulder. Insane, eh? He turned over sector command to me before dying. My first official duty was to put him down.

A recurring complaint I feel I'm going to have is that these stories are thinly veiled and unengaging infodumps. As retarded as Yonkers was, it tried to have a measure of human drama.
>>
Yesss, I've been waiting for this
>>
While this is still hot n' fresh can someone explain the whole frodo thing to me? I can't keep up with this shit
>>
>>30938687
Its a reference to "why couldn't they just fly to Mordor."
>>
>>30938707
Oh makes sense, I can see how Yonkers was full of that. Thanks, you are real mvp anon
>>
File: frodo.jpg (22KB, 395x300px) Image search: [Google]
frodo.jpg
22KB, 395x300px
>>30938687
Why didn't they just build a bigger wall to stop the Titans?
>>
>>30938557
>I was about to organize a detail to scrounge for converted hand-to-hand weapons, we were running low on ammunition, when the order came to retreat. This was not unusual. Our unit had been steadily withdrawing since the first days of the Panic. What was unusual, though, was the rally point. Division was using map-grid coordinates, the first time since the trouble began. Up until then they had simply used civilian designations on an open channel; this was so refugees could know where to assemble. Now it was a coded transmission from a map we hadn’t used since the end of the cold war. I had to check the coordinates three times to confirm. They put us at Schafstedt, just north of the Nord-Ostsee Kanal. Might as well be fucking Denmark!

Presumably, this is Germany using some sort of South African Plan.

>Now, I am a good soldier, but I am also a West German. You understand the difference? In the East, they were told that they were not responsible for the atrocities of the Second World War, that as good communists, they were just as much victims of Hitler as anyone else. You understand why the skinheads and proto-fascists were mainly in the East? They did not feel the responsibility of the past, not like we did in the West. We were taught since birth to bear the burden of our grandfathers’ shame. We were taught that, even if we wore a uniform, that our first sworn duty was to our conscience.

Oy vey

>He told me that I would carry out my instructions or I, and, more importantly, my men, would be charged with treason and prosecuted with “Russian efficiency.” And this is what we’ve come to, I thought. We’d all heard of what was happening in Russia…the mutinies, the crackdowns, the decimations. I looked around at all these boys, eighteen, nineteen years old, all tired and scared and fighting for their lives... I gave the order to withdraw.

I kinda hope Germany brings back the Kaiser, if Russia brings back the Tsar.
>>
>>30938557
The Americans in the story didn't make much use of their guns, though, which makes your point about the 2A moot.
>>
I mean, being critical of a book is good, you should keep doing it, but remembering that most books are just for entertainment and that you shouldn't look a whole lot into it.
>>
I kinda wish you would go back and do the Iran/Pakistan nuke war, just to hear OPpenheimer's opinions on it, if he is hanging around here.

Also, while it may be early, I have a suggestion for the next book. "Patriots" by James Wesley, Rawles. It will take us back to Lindville levels of insanity.
>>
>>30938796
>I kinda hope Germany brings back the Kaiser, if Russia brings back the Tsar.
OH FUCK. LIND HAS LOCATED AND MURDERED BILLY BOY AND HIS CONTINUING HIS POSTS LIKE SOME SORT OF SKINWALKER
>>
>>30938842
desu, I'm interested in doing Kratman's 'Yellow Eyes' next because it sounds like a retarded Arpeggio of Blue Steel, complete with bote waifus.

>>30938832
I'm not necessarily being critical as much as I am riffing on it.
>>
>>30938866

Fine by me, I'll be sticking around regardless.
>>
>>30938862

CORN
LIGHT RAIL
COLD FUSION
ZANIES
CREEK
NUMERO UNO
MISSION TYPE ORDERS
>>
>>30938866
How bout the Turner Diaries?
>>
>>30938888
At some point, since Hitler quads demand it. Supposedly, it actually treats blacks better than they are treated in Victoria
>>
>>30938796
>What about the civilians?
>[Pause.] We got everything we deserved. “Where are you going?” they shouted from buildings. “Come back, you cowards!” I tried to answer. “No, we’re coming back for you,” I said. “We’re coming back tomorrow with more men. Just stay where you are, we’ll be back tomorrow.” They didn’t believe me. “Fucking liar!” I heard one woman shout. “You’re letting my baby die!"

Basically, the civilians recognize this for what it is.

>On our way out of the city we passed the last of our new Rapid Reaction Stabilization Units. They had been badly mauled earlier in the week. I didn’t know it at the time, but they were one of those units classified as expendable. They were detailed to cover our retreat, to prevent too many zombies, or refugees, from following us. They were ordered to hold to the end.

You know what would have been a more interesting story? An interview with a survivor of one of these guys.

>Their commander was standing through the cupola of his Leopard. I knew him. We’d served together as part of the NATO’s IFOR in Bosnia. Maybe it is melodramatic to say he saved my life, but he did take a Serbian’s bullet that I’m sure was meant for me. The last time I saw him was in a hospital in Sarajevo, joking about getting out of this madhouse those people called a country. Now here we were, passing on the shattered autobahn in the heart of our homeland. We locked eyes, traded salutes. I ducked back into the APC, and pretended to study my map so the driver wouldn’t see my tears.

This guy, for example, could have probably told a more emotional story.
>>
>>30938983
> I told myself, “I’m going to kill that son of a bitch [Gen. Lang].”

>I had it all planned. I would not look angry, not give him any reason to worry. I’d submit my report and apologize for my behavior. Maybe he’d want to give me some kind of pep talk, try to explain or justify our retreat. Good, I thought, I’d listen patiently, put him at ease. Then, when he rose to shake my hand, I’d draw my weapon and blow his Eastern brains against the map of what used to be our country. Maybe his whole staff would be there, all the other little stooges who were “just following orders.” I’d get them all before they took me! It would be perfect. I wasn’t going to just goose-step my way into hell like some good little Hitler Jugend. I’d show him, and everyone else, what it meant to be a real Deutsche Soldat

However, these plans are foiled by General Lang's suicide. That's it. Really makes you think, or something.

And that ends this interview.
>>
>>30938406
>This reveal/twist which falls flat because he's never relevant again. This isn't even the good kind of shitty infodumb (which I would point to 'Snow Crash' as an example of. Its infodumbs about linguistics are actually interesting and relevant).
tbqh I liked that particular reveal, that Redeker wasn't as cold and calculating as he thought and his mind literally broke because of what he did.
>>
>>30939130
What I should have done is broken that into two paragraphs. I was on the one hand not being impressed with the twist; on the other, I found the infodump boring.
>>
File: 1460942512895.jpg (20KB, 319x374px) Image search: [Google]
1460942512895.jpg
20KB, 319x374px
>>30938796
>In the East, they were told that they were not responsible for the atrocities of the Second World War, that as good communists, they were just as much victims of Hitler as anyone else.

But they fucking were. Of the two governments, the East Germans were the ones who COULD say they had nothing to do with the Holocaust because Hitler drove all of them from Germany in the 1930s. Purging the Commies was literally the first step on his murder spree; Dachau was originally built to hold them.

You're goddamn right I'm triggered.
>>
>>30939130
I much prefer the next segment in Ukraine which shoes more than tells. And certainly, everyone has different tastes.
>>
>>30939244
No, I mean I thought that particular reveal was good. The section was definitely infodumpy.
>>
>>30939090
>YEVCHENKO VETERANS’ SANATORIUM, ODESSA, UKRAINE

>[The room is windowless. Dim, fluorescent bulbs illuminate the concrete walls and unwashed cots. The patients here mainly suffer from respiratory disorders, many made
worse by the lack of any usable medication. There are no doctors here, and understaffed nurses and orderlies can do little to ease the suffering. At least the room is warm and dry, and for this country in the dead of winter, that is a luxury beyond measure. Bohdan Taras Kondratiuk sits upright on his cot at the end of the room. As a war hero he rates a hung sheet for privacy. He coughs into his handkerchief before speaking.]

I unironically really like this section, and I'd like to share it unabridged.

>Chaos. I don’t know how else to describe it, a complete breakdown of organization, of order, of control. We’d just fought four brutal engagements: Luck, Rovno, Novograd, and Zhitomir. Goddamn Zhitomir. My men were exhausted, you understand. What they’d seen, what they’d had to do, and all the time pulling back, rearguard actions, running. Every day you heard about another town falling, another road closing, another unit overwhelmed.

>Kiev was supposed to be safe, behind the lines. It was supposed to be the center of our new safety zone, well garrisoned, fully resupplied, quiet. And so what happens as soon as we arrive? Are my orders to rest and refit? Repair my vehicles, reconstitute my numbers, rehabilitate my wounded? No, of course not. Why should things be as they should be? They never have been before.
>>
>>30939487
>The safety zone was being shifted again, this time to the Crimea. The government had already moved…fled…to Sevastopol. Civil order had collapsed. Kiev was being fully evacuated. This was the task of the military, or what was left of it. Our company was ordered to oversee the escape route at Patona Bridge. It was the first all electrically welded bridge in the world, and many foreigners used to compare its achievement to that of the Eiffel Tower. The city had planned a major restoration project, a dream to renew its former glory. But, like everything else in our country, that dream never came true.

>Even before the crisis, the bridge had been a nightmare of traffic jams. Now it was crammed with evacuees. The bridge was supposed to be closed to road traffic, but where were the barricades we were promised, the concrete and steel that would have made any forced entry impossible? Cars were everywhere, little Lags and old Zhigs, a few Mercedes, and a mammoth GAZ truck sitting right in the middle, just turned over on its side! We tried to move it, get a chain around the axle and pull it free with one of the tanks. Not a chance.

>What could we do? We were an armored platoon, you understand. Tanks, not military police. We never saw any MPs. We were assured they would be there, but we never saw or heard from them, neither did any of the other “units” along any of the other bridges. To even call them “units” is a joke… None of us were set up for this, weren’t trained for it, weren’t equipped…Where was the riot gear they promised us, the shields, the armor, where was the water cannon? Our orders were to “process” all evacuees. You understand “process,” to see if any of them had been tainted. But where were the goddamn sniffer dogs? How are you supposed to check for infection without dogs? What are you supposed to do, visually inspect each refugee? Yes! And yet, that is what we were told to do.
>>
>>30939496
>[Shakes his head.] Did they really think that those terrified, frantic wretches, with death at their backs and safety—perceived safety—only meters away were going to form an orderly line and let us strip them naked to examine every centimeter of skin? Did they think men would just stand by while we examined their wives, their mothers, their little daughters? Can you imagine? And we actually tried to do it. What other alternative was there? They had to be separated if any of us were going to survive. What’s the point of even trying to evacuate people if they’re just going to bring the infection with them?

>[Shakes his head, laughs bitterly.] It was a disaster! Some just refused, others tried to run by or even jump into the river. Fights broke out. Many of my men were beaten badly, three were stabbed, one was shot by a frightened grandfather with a rusty old Tokarev. I’m sure he was dead before hitting the water.

>I wasn’t there, you understand. I was on the radio trying to call for support! Help is coming, they kept saying, do not break, do not despair, help is coming. Across the Dnieper, Kiev burned. Black pillars rose from the city center. We were downwind, the stench was terrible, the wood and rubber and stink of burning flesh. We didn’t know how far they were now, maybe a kilometer, maybe less. Up on the hill, the fire had engulfed the monastery. Goddamn tragedy. With its high walls, its strategic location, we could have made a stand. Any first-year cadet could have turned it into an impregnable fortress—stocked the basements, sealed the gates, and mounted snipers in the towers. They could have covered the bridge for…fucking forever!

>I thought I heard something, a sound from the other bank…that sound, you know, when they are all together, when they are close, that…even over the shouts, the curses, the honking horns, the distant sniper fire, you know that sound.
>>
>>30939523
>[He attempts to mimic their moan but collapses into uncontrolled coughs. He holds his handkerchief up to his face. It comes away bloody.]

>That sound was what pulled me away from the radio. I looked over at the city. Something caught my eye, something above the rooftops and closing fast.
The jet streaked over us at treetop level. There were four of them, Sukhoi 25 “Rooks,” close, and low enough to identify by sight. What the hell, I thought, are they going to try to cover the bridge’s approach? Maybe bomb the area behind it? It had worked at Rovno, at least for a few minutes. The Rooks circled, as if confirming their targets, then banked low and came straight at us! Devil’s mother, I thought, they are going to bomb the bridge! They’d given up on the evacuation and were going to kill everyone! “Off the bridge!” I started shouting. “Everyone get off!” Panic shot through the crowd. You could see it like a wave, like a current of electricity. People started screaming, trying to push forward, back, into one another. Dozens were jumping into the water with heavy clothes and shoes that prevented them from swimming. I was pulling people across, telling them to run. I saw the bombs released, thought maybe I could dive at the last moment, shield myself from the blast. Then the parachutes opened, and I knew. In a split second, I was up and dashing like a frightened rabbit.
>>
>>30939533
>“Button up!” I screamed. “Button up!” I leapt onto the nearest tank, slammed the hatch down, and ordered the crew to check the seals! The tank was an obsolete T-72. We couldn’t know if the overpressure system still worked, hadn’t tested it in years. All we could do was hope and pray while cringing in our steel coffin. The gunner was sobbing, the driver was frozen, the commander, a junior sergeant just twenty years old, was balled up on the floor, clutching the little cross he had around his neck. I put my hand on the top of his head, assured him we would be fine while keeping my eyes glued to the periscope.

>RVX doesn’t start out as a gas, you see. It starts out as rain: tiny, oily droplets that cling to whatever they contact. It enters through the pores, the eyes, the lungs. Depending on the dosage, the effects can be instantaneous. I could see the evacuees’ limbs begin to tremble, arms falling to their sides as the agent worked its way through their central nervous system. They rubbed their eyes, fought to speak, move, breathe. I was glad I couldn’t smell the contents of their undergarments, the sudden discharge of bladder and bowels. Why would they do it? I couldn’t understand. Didn’t the high command know that chemical weapons had no effect on the undead? Didn’t they learn anything from Zhitomir? The first corpse to move was a woman, just a second or more before the others, a twitching hand groping across the back of a man who looked like he’d been trying to shield her. He slipped off as she rose on uncertain knees. Her face was mottled and webbed with blackened veins. I think she saw me, or our tank. Her jaw dropped, her arms rose. I could see the others coming to life, every fortieth or fiftieth person, everyone who had been bitten and had previously tried to conceal it.

>And then I understood.
>>
>>30939550
>Yes, they’d learned from Zhitomir, and now they found a better use for their cold war stockpiles. How do you effectively separate the infected from the others? ... That’s one way. They were starting to fully reanimate, regaining their footing, shuffling slowly across the bridge toward us. I called for the gunner. He could barely stutter a response. I kicked him in the back, barked the order to sight his targets! It took a few seconds but he settled his crosshairs on the first woman and squeezed the trigger. I held my ears as the Coax belched. The other tanks followed suit.

>Twenty minutes later, it was over. I know I should have waited for orders, at least reported our status or the effects of the strike. I could see six more flights of Rooks streaking over, five heading for the other bridges, the last for the city center. I ordered our company to withdraw, to head southwest and just keep going. There were a lot of bodies around us, the ones who’d just made it over the bridge before the gas hit. They popped as we ran over them. Have you been to the Great Patriotic War Museum Complex? It was one of the most impressive buildings in Kiev. The courtyard was filled with machines: tanks, guns, every class and size, from the Revolution to the modern day... There was an Iron Cross, a full meter in size, made from the hundreds of real Iron Crosses taken from dead Hitlerites. There was a mural, from floor to ceiling, showing a grand battle. Our soldiers were all connected, in a seething wave of strength and courage that crashed upon the Germans, that drove them from our homeland. So many symbols of our national defense and none more spectacular than the statue of the Rodina Mat (Motherland). She was the tallest building in the city, a more than sixty-meter masterpiece of pure stainless steel.

>She was the last thing I saw in Kiev, her shield and sword held high in everlasting triumph, her cold, bright eyes looking down at us as we ran.

I was spooped
>>
File: Homer.jpg (21KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
Homer.jpg
21KB, 500x281px
>>30939577
>Max Brooks writing a good military scene with powerful imagery

I do not understand.
>>
>>30939600
The worst parts of World War Z aren't the bad ones; it's the good ones. There's so much wasted potential that better editing and fact-checking could have brought out.
>>
>>30939600
In this case, their defeats are only mentioned and not gone into detail on, so Brooks doesn't floor you with his ignorance of military tactics and weaponry.
>>
>>30938747
Why didnt they tie down a titan, shave off meat, and use it as an infinite food source.?
>>
I'm definitely looking forward to the chapter with the underwater diving suit fighting zombies innaocean
>>
File: CpCharlie mural.jpg (483KB, 864x687px) Image search: [Google]
CpCharlie mural.jpg
483KB, 864x687px
>>30939622
>The worst parts of World War Z aren't the bad ones; it's the good ones
I don't know, Yonkers is just a black hole of shittiness and bad writing to me. But maybe that's just because I have a huge boner for Cold War military equipment and strategy and Brooks butchers it so that he can have his manly men fighting zombies with manly fuddshit story.
>>
I'm going to take a break for dinner.
>>
>>30939674

Besides Yonkers, that chapter will probably have the most Frodos and triggering.
>>
>>30939674
I think we have people freezing to death in Canada next
>>
>>30939761
The one with the new, zombie-efficient army will probably rival it. At least for me it will.
>>
Can tell you one thing about Phalanx Pill.
Its one hell of a placebo!
>>
>>30939674
What about the one where they first fight the Zombies in their respecked format?

I thought that chapter was excellent when I was younger, just like I found most of his chapters to be better.

Or the French guy who fought in the catacombs (for some reason)?
>>
>>30939795

Actually, now that I'm starting to recall the book better, the blind Japanese samarai with a blade folded 10000 times will do it for me.
>>
>>30939761
Maybe it's because I haven't read the book in several years, but I don't remember any particularly retarded stuff happening in that chapter
>>
File: 1464082224051.jpg (89KB, 454x596px) Image search: [Google]
1464082224051.jpg
89KB, 454x596px
>>30939816
>Or the French guy who fought in the catacombs (for some reason)?
Even in fiction, the French are stuck-up assholes.

>YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW HARD IT IS TO FIGHT IN THE CATACOMBS
>WE HAVE IT SO MUCH HARDER THAN THE OTHER ZOMBIE FIGHTS
>WE CAN'T USE GUNS BECAUSE IT MIGHT DAMAGE THE HISTORY DOWN HERE
>YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND OUR STRUGGLE

>>30939830
That was the NEET with the katana. The blind guy just used a rake.
>>
>>30939843

How about the zombies being able to survive on the ocean floor where pressure would have popped their heads long before they reached that depth? Or how despite losing almost all of their tissue and ligaments yet still being able to move in the first place?
>>
>>30939830
The NEET is the one with the katana I think, the blind guy just used a shovel or some shit.

>>30939843
Zombies can apparently roam the ocean floor for years with no ill effects, they even bring it up in the chapter and he handwaves it away with what's essentially a 'lol I dunno'.
>>
>>30939865
>WE CAN'T USE GUNS BECAUSE IT MIGHT DAMAGE THE HISTORY DOWN HERE

It was because of methane and shit exploding.
>>
>>30939877
Apparently in Max Brooks' world, air rifles don't exist.
>>
>>30939865
Yeah but why even bother?

I suppose at the end conflict to catch them all in case one slips through but why not just block every exit and leave it?
>>
>>30939874

frodo.jpg

>>30939894

According to the book that's what they used in Paris, but they were kind of shitty and only had ten shots per air canister.
>>
>>30939872
How about those underwater zombies somehow being able to grab, overpower, and eat a diver wearing a full wetsuit?
>>
>>30939894
They eventually started doing that, but there was also the danger of hitting something and making a spark.
>>
>>30939726
What was "Cold War" about Yonkers? I thought it was all "see our new military tech" and "shock and awe"
>>
>>30939865

Speaking of catacombs, I wonder how bad the poor bastards had it when they had to clear the New York subway system.
>>
>>30939912
Not a Frodo really as no one is really acting stupidly in that chapter and making you wonder why they didn't fly the eagles or whatever. It's just zombies breaking the suspension of disbelief again, so it's more the work of a certain sorcerous Chinaman.
>>
File: 1470618577703.jpg (104KB, 986x553px) Image search: [Google]
1470618577703.jpg
104KB, 986x553px
>>30939927
Max Brooks heaped the fault of the defeat on idiot officers, who, in his character's words

>I’m sure whoever was in charge must have been one of the last of the Fulda Fucktards, you know, those generals who spent their nard-drop years training to defend West Germany from Ivan. Tightassed, narrow-minded…probably pissed off from so many years of brushfire war. He must have been an FF because everything we did freakin’ stunk of Cold War Static Defense.

AirLand Battle? Never fucking heard of it.
>>
File: steel rain.jpg (493KB, 1280x936px) Image search: [Google]
steel rain.jpg
493KB, 1280x936px
>>3093992
Bradleys and Abrams are pretty Cold War, but the interviewee went out of his way to rant about how the Generals were unprepared because they were Cold War washups (Fulda Fucktards he calls them), and that's why they did mind-numbingly stupid shit like digging a single line of defense and having no reserves or fallback positions, not bringing enough ammo, an entire battery of M270s and M109s on a few dozen zombies, and not utilizing air support until they've managed to get their shit pushed in by said zombies somehow. You know, the exact fucking opposite of how a Cold War general would fight a battle.
>>
>>30939978
>>30939927
*wasting an entire battery
>>
>>30939965
Ah gotcha. I hope you'll forgive my lack of military knowledge.

What exactly do you mean by
>airland battle? Never heard of it
>>
>>30939978
Ah gotcha.
>>
>>30940000
The ACTUAL American Cold War defense strategy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AirLand_Battle

The important part:
> AirLand Battle emphasized close coordination between land forces acting as an aggressively maneuvering defense, and air forces attacking rear-echelon forces feeding those front line enemy forces.

Does that sound like "Cold War Static Defense" to you? Does Max Brooks think the Cold War was just WW1 again?
>>
>>30940024
See >>30940024
It'd be like if you boiled Soviet Deep Battle down to conscript rush for the motherland URAAAA ))))), but at least you could understand where one would get such misconceptions from because of dumb Hollywood movies. I don't even know where Brooks got this misconception from because there's hardly any hollywood movies depicting World War III between NATO and the Warsaw Pact. I mean, a quick google search would've given you more than dude tank bunkers lmao.
>>
>>30939965
max brooks is an idiot the united states spends millions on anti personal weapons hell Abrams has beehive cartridges nothing like a zombie is going to live through that and air burst muntions to kill entire companies
>>
>>30940091
Meant for >>30940000
>>
File: 1469328167006.png (391KB, 986x553px) Image search: [Google]
1469328167006.png
391KB, 986x553px
Wait, I just realized something.

>Max Brooks blames Fulda Fucktards and their Cold War static defense for the defeat of the US Army
>the foolproof plan for defeating the zombies later is to FORM SQUARES, play loud music, and make the zombies come to them
>>
File: image.jpg (81KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
81KB, 1024x768px
What about forming a giant firing line and attracting zombies to kills them all is'nt realistic? I always thought it was a pretty neat idea besides the wooden fudd rifles. Making the zombies walk out into open ground eliminates thier advantages fighting in the cities. Poke holes in the fudd firing line please.
>>
>>30940135
Airbursting shrapnel
>>
File: 1444492790021.jpg (247KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1444492790021.jpg
247KB, 1600x1200px
>>30940094
But you see, zombies are magically resistant to all that. I mean, he literally has an entire MLRS battery fire a salvo at a few dozen zombies, and it only kills about 3/4ths of them. And when they fire again it does even less damage because apparently it was exploding cars that did most of it the first time.

>>30940119
>>30940135
Because they did more or less the same thing at Yonkers, but the power of plot and ancient chinese magic made them terminally retarded and their weapons arbitrarily useless. And that's why the Battle of Hope triggers me almost as much as Yonkers does.
>>
>>30940119

Obviously the Duke of Wellington knows more about modern combat tactics than the "Fulda Fucktards"
>>
>>30940024
Air forces wouldn't have worked at Yonkers, though. They tried it.
>>
File: disgrunted irish.jpg (31KB, 419x279px) Image search: [Google]
disgrunted irish.jpg
31KB, 419x279px
>>30940162
>high explosive artillery doesn't work against zombies because "lol hydrostatic shock"
>exploding cars does

This shit just gets even MORE retarded the more you think about it.
>>
>>30940162
It was fear at Yonkers and experience at the square w/ music that were the defining factors.
>>
>>30939943
>>
>>30940119
INVINCIBLE TESTUDO
WE WUZ ROMANS AND SHIT
WE WUZ GREEK GODS AND SHIT
GANGBANGERS CAN'T CROSS CREEKS AND SHIEET
YELLOW PAN MADE US DUMB AND SHIT
SORCERERS BE KEEPING US DOWN
>>
>>30940184
>>30940218
Look, I know you like the book.
>>30910226

Read the previous thread for a better breakdown for how that shit was retarded.
>>
>>30940184
Air support at Yonkers came in at the very last second, and only in the form of F-35s dropping a few JSOWs and a thermobaric weapon. It's incredibly baffling why they didn't have B-52s or pretty much anything that could carry a bombload going full Arc Light in the densest parts of the millions-strong horde that they could apparently see but just ignored, and even more retarded that they didn't do any follow-up bombing afterwards.

>>30940218
No, it was zombies having an oddly specific resistance to anything larger than small arms and the entire chain of command suddenly becoming extremely stupid.
>>
File: Think Harder Homer.jpg (21KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Think Harder Homer.jpg
21KB, 640x480px
>>30940119
To clarify:
>Static defense is why the army lost at Yonkers
>Static defense is how the army retakes the country

This shit doesn't add up.
>>
>>30940200
Don't forget the Comanche pilot deciding to slice up the horde with his rotors, and failing only when he rams into the terrain like you would expect from a maneuver so stupid even Kiowa pilots wouldn't have tried it. But apparently none of the tanks thought to just roll into the horde and crush them.
>>
>>30940263
>the entire chain of command suddenly becoming extremely stupid.

See>>30940222
>>
File: boreale.jpg (9KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
boreale.jpg
9KB, 300x300px
>>30940300
He couldn't have done it by himself.
>>
File: 1465589574166.jpg (18KB, 284x339px) Image search: [Google]
1465589574166.jpg
18KB, 284x339px
>>30940298
RIP in peace Comanche
>>
>>30940241
I'm just mainly trying to understand the military things that were wrong in the book. Thank you for linking the other thread.
>>
>>30940298
Frankly, I'm glad that he didn't write about tankers crushing zombies.
Because he would have inevitably gone full "lol, bones can stop tank"
Video related.
http://www.military.com/video/combat-vehicles/combat-tanks/m1-abrams-stuck-in-the-mud/1481057376001
>>
File: big-trouble-little-china.png (1MB, 1600x678px) Image search: [Google]
big-trouble-little-china.png
1MB, 1600x678px
>>30940315
He had help
>>
>>30940263
Good ol' Lo Pan
>>
>>30940291
Your problem is you're apply 3rd Generation Warfare notions to a 4th Generation war. You see, zombies HATE wood (apparently when your dead splinters still hurt like a bitch) and receive a debuff when fighting against wood-armed openants. Secondly, sqaures are monstrously important in 4th Generation Warfare, as you see Lo Pan got a D in Geometry, and because of that squares sap his power.

If you just read up on Schwerpunkt -- German for main emphasis -- this would all make a lot more sense to you.
>>
File: 1466569371545.jpg (33KB, 261x513px) Image search: [Google]
1466569371545.jpg
33KB, 261x513px
>>30940361
>Lo Pan got a D in Geometry, and because of that squares sap his power.

KEKs me every time
>>
>>30940342
And afterwards he would've had the zombies swarming the tank and ripping off the hatches with their retard zombie strength, most likely.
>>
>>30940383
No with his hack writing the gunners would've panicked and turned their turrets at each other and fired at the same time killing the crews
>>
>>30940383
Or the crew would have panicked from the sounds and opened the hatches. Or the zombies would have misapplied another natural phenomenon, covered the tank with their bodies, and vibrated really hard to cook the soldiers alive.
>>
Guys, let's be honest. We've all fantasized about fighting in a Thin Red Line with The Trooper blasting so hard it's shaking pictures off the wall. My only question is.... Did they play Creeping Death next?
>>
>>30940411
My pre-patrol song was alwayd Hunting Humans by the Misfits. https://youtu.be/FTd7DCE-eSs
>>
>>30940411
>Creeping Death
>not Zombie Stomp
6/10, apply yourself next time.
>>
>>30940406
>Browning is jammed. The 120mm is firing, but it's using sabot and zombies have immunity shields; they're immune to everything. I'm saying into the radio "driver, advance!'. But the driver, who was written by Max Brooks, is drinking fighting holes for the tank. In front of me are a million tightly packed zombies who just walked through an artillery barrage. Then, somebody hands me a fudd rifle.
>>
>>30940462
digging*
>>
File: 1344740032673.gif (3MB, 350x262px) Image search: [Google]
1344740032673.gif
3MB, 350x262px
>>30940409
>>30940406
>>30940462
>>
File: woody laughing.jpg (10KB, 327x388px) Image search: [Google]
woody laughing.jpg
10KB, 327x388px
>>30940462
>>
File: 1470364678062.gif (458KB, 500x282px) Image search: [Google]
1470364678062.gif
458KB, 500x282px
>>30940462
Nailed it
>>
>>30940450
I was thinking more of the live recordings, especially Moscow where like 10k Ivans are chanting DIE DIE DIE.
>>
>>30940441
Hell yeah, Misfits. Even if they are Graves-era (better than that Only 1950's shit)

Angel of Death was pretty much on repeat when keying up for a trip outside of the wire for me.
>>
>>30940462
Perfect
>>
File: yeb1kVr.gif (1MB, 350x192px) Image search: [Google]
yeb1kVr.gif
1MB, 350x192px
>>30940576
Hell yeah
>>
File: TTWW.jpg (35KB, 348x500px) Image search: [Google]
TTWW.jpg
35KB, 348x500px
Hey /k/, is "The Third World War" by John Hackett /k/ approved? It's written by a British General, and apart from some begging for funding seems well researched, but I am curious about your thoughts.
>>
File: 200w.gif (375KB, 200x153px) Image search: [Google]
200w.gif
375KB, 200x153px
>>30940406
>>
>>30940298
That doesn't work. Modern chopper blades are not sturdy enough to be used like a buzzsaw for longer than like a minute. If someone tried that they'd just crash.
>>
>>30940917
>Implying those chopper blades weren't made out of wood

Do you even 4th Generation Warfare?
>>
File: 200w-1.gif (708KB, 200x111px) Image search: [Google]
200w-1.gif
708KB, 200x111px
>>30940462
>>
>>30940162
what a total freakin hack, even if you only shoot the heat its dad applies a beehive muntion is bound ot get at least one of the suckers
>>
>>30940917
>Modern chopper blades are not sturdy enough to be used like a buzzsaw for longer than like a minute
Not in Brooks world (and even worse, this is against zombies that have demonstrated such resistance to things that should be tearing them apart). The passage doesn't say how long the chopper pilot did it for but it apparently worked until he hit a car and crashed. >>30911444

>>30940963
The soldier in the interview complains about why they didn't bring enough canister rounds (because apparently 120mm sabot does nothing to a zombie if it doesn't hit the head), but still implies it'd take a stupid amount of canister to kill a zombie.
>>
>>30940988
>not bringing anything but canister

Does he think the Fulda Fucktards are so incompetent that they thought the zombies would bring tanks or some shit?
>>
>>30941062
Lo Pan, senpai
>>
File: T-72M1 PNG.png (3MB, 2156x1426px) Image search: [Google]
T-72M1 PNG.png
3MB, 2156x1426px
>>30939550
>>“Button up!” I screamed. “Button up!” I leapt onto the nearest tank, slammed the hatch down, and ordered the crew to check the seals! The tank was an obsolete T-72. We couldn’t know if the overpressure system still worked, hadn’t tested it in years. All we could do was hope and pray while cringing in our steel coffin. The gunner was sobbing, the driver was frozen, the commander, a junior sergeant just twenty years old, was balled up on the floor, clutching the little cross he had around his neck. I put my hand on the top of his head, assured him we would be fine while keeping my eyes glued to the periscope.
>T-72
>Having 4 people inside it
That is not possible.

>>30939577
>I kicked the gunner in the back
Was Max brooks thinking of a T-62 or T-55? But the commander would be directly behind the gunner so it would be impossible for the loader to kick him in the back or what is the role of the guy speaking?
>>
File: reforger abrams.jpg (271KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
reforger abrams.jpg
271KB, 1000x667px
>>30941062
>>not bringing anything but canister
Shouldn't even really matter because logically sabot would actually be pretty damn effective against such a tightly packed horde.

>Does he think the Fulda Fucktards are so incompetent that they thought the zombies would bring tanks or some shit?
He very much does. See >>30910351. Brooks writes the generals as complete idiots preparing to fight the zombies of the 8th Guards Army while having no clue how said generals would've actually fought them.
>>
>>30941094
I screwed up. I was too caught up in enjoying the atmosphere and imagery to find obvious things like this to mock.
>>
>>30941094
>expecting Brooks to know the difference between slav tanks when he fucks up American gear so badly already
The chapter where the Russians are refighting Stalingrad against zombies is going to trigger you hard.
>>
File: Max Brooks sucks.jpg (107KB, 720x573px) Image search: [Google]
Max Brooks sucks.jpg
107KB, 720x573px
Obligatory image from back when WWZ was all the rage on /k/ and people unironically thought Yonkers was gud
>>
>>30941334
When was this?
>>
>>30941353
Date says 2009
>>
>SAND LAKES PROVINCIAL WILDERNESS PARK, MANITOBA, CANADA

>[Jesika Hendricks gestures to the expanse of subarctic wasteland. The natural beauty has been replaced by wreckage: abandoned vehicles, debris, and human corpses
remain partially frozen into the gray snow and ice. Originally from Waukesha, Wisconsin, the now naturalized Canadian is part of this region’s Wilderness Restoration Project. Along with several hundred other volunteers, she has come here every summer since the end of official hostilities. Although WRP claims to have made substantial progress, none can claim to see any end in sight.]

I would like to think of this as a "Really Makes You Think" kind of thing, but burning trash like they do in many third world countries and would likely do in the apocalypse, does reduce the air quality and probably gets into the precipitation.

>I don’t blame them, the government, the people who were supposed to protect us. Objectively, I guess I can understand. They couldn’t have everyone following the army west behind the Rocky Mountains. How were they going to feed all of us, how were they going to screen us, and how could they ever hope to stop the armies of undead that almost certainly would have been following us? I can understand why they would want to divert as many refugees north as possible. What else could they do, stop us at the Rockies with armed troops, gas us like the Ukrainians?

What's real interesting is the time table that follows.

>That was happening all around the rest of the world, people fleeing north hoping to stay alive until winter came. No, I don’t blame them for wanting to divert us, I can forgive that. But the irresponsible way they did it, the lack of vital information that would have helped so many to stay alive…that I can never forgive.
>That I can never forgive.

Woah, is this some kind of shonen protagonist here?
>>
>>30939865
Yeah, I thought the French were being stuck up assholes too.
>Oh you lost your family, friends?
>Too bad, because I had to fight in my historical sewer
>>
>>30941431
Jesika just wanted her Grover-senpai to stop shoveling shit for a minute and notice her.
>>
>>30941549
They're not historical sewers, they're historical mines.
>>
>>30941431
>It was August, two weeks after Yonkers and just three days after the government had started withdrawing west. We hadn’t had too many outbreaks in our neighborhood. I’d only seen one, a collection of six feeding on a homeless man. The cops had put them down quickly. It happened three blocks from our house and that was when my father decided to leave.

So, it wasn't just a brigade or something at Yonkers, but the entire US Army, Nat'l Guard, and the Marines and they were all outflanked by the 4th Generation Warfare of the zombies and destroyed in detail. Not only that, but they already had figured out a war plan to sacrifice everyone east of the Rockies and are ready to enact it in two weeks. I'll admit that they might have considered such contingencies in the month or two they spent planning Yonkers, but this seems oddly, dare I say, competent given the complete fucktardery we saw in Yonkers.

>We were in the living room; my father was learning how to load his new rifle while Mom finished nailing up the windows. You couldn’t find a channel with anything but zombie news, either live images, or recorded footage from Yonkers. Looking back, I still can’t believe how unprofessional the news media was. So much spin, so few hard facts. All those digestible sound bites from an army of “experts” all contradicting one another, all trying to seem more “shocking” and “in depth” than the last one.

tbqh, roving cannibals is pretty shocking. Considering that they just routed the US military, it's hard to not be shocked. This subtle critique really didn't make me think.

>The only thing any of them could agree on was that all private citizens should “go north.” Because the living dead freeze solid, extreme cold is our only hope. That’s all we heard.

If you want to crack a guess at the results of this, I'll be prescient. It ends badly.
>>
>>30941094
I'll play devils advocate here- the soldier says he ran for the nearest tank, so it might not have been his. 'We hadn't tested it in years' could be a general comment on his whole company.
If the commander was on the turret basket floor, maybe there's room for a 4th to squeeze in?

Either that or Lo Pan removed autoloader technology from the Soviet military, so yes they have loaders
>>
>>30941655
>So, it wasn't just a brigade or something at Yonkers, but the entire US Army, Nat'l Guard, and the Marines
I figure most other units were tied split up and tied down fighting throughout the Eastern United States and the force they sent to Yonkers was the largest one they could gather. Seems to be regiment sized, I'd hazard a guess and say it was the 11th ACR given the weird fixation on Fulda and Cold War Static Defense. After that defeat they decided to pull all their other units behind the Rockies. That makes it slightly less insanely retarded.
>>
>>30940885
if i remember right he puts a bit too much stock on that what some soviet said, but that guy has been shown to be full of shit/ said what the west wanted to hear so that he could get more money or some such shit. I enjoyed it as a work of fiction at least.
>>
File: 1470802146527.png (270KB, 580x519px) Image search: [Google]
1470802146527.png
270KB, 580x519px
>>30940228
>GANGBANGERS CANT CROSS CREEKS AND SHIT
TopfuckingKek
>>
>>30941742
Did they know about what Suvorov/Rezun was full of shit about at the time? That might excuse some of the errors.
>>
>>30941768
I'm willing to put a lot on Cold War fog of war, but not all of it.
as an aside. I'm a huge fan of team yankee, anybody else? Any fuddlore my bias clouded over?
>>
>>30941898
>I'm a huge fan of team yankee, anybody else
I've had that lying around for a while but I haven't read it, all this talk about
>Cold War Static Defense
is making me want to though. If it's anything like an extended version of Red Storm Rising's central Europe portions I'll probably be satisfied.
>>
>>30940361
4th gen tactics are useless, because only standing armies can defeat the zombies (see: LaMOEs). However, 3rd gen national militaries are vulnerable to ancient Chinese derp magicks. A synthesis of this is creates Zth gen warfare: modern national armies run by guerilla leftist college types using WWI-era weapons against supernatural monsters.
>>
>>30938866

how about Rainbow Six with "three round burst of 180 grain hollowpoints to the skull" counter?
>>
>>30941732
That would make sense, if most of the army was tied down destroying bridges, evacuating assets and generally just cleaning shop then they'd have struggled to find free troops for a stand up fight. It would also explain their lack of ammo, since a fair portion would be spread among the other forces. They must've expected such an easy victory they just assigned the only free general, who was only free because anywhere else he would've been considered a "risk", rather ironically.

As to why they decided to pull back to the Rockies, they are a defensible mountain range, extreme cliffs and narrow canyons act as natural choke-points.
>>
>>30941968
The personal headcanon I had for a while was that the interviewee was just PTSD'd out of his mind and remembers Yonkers as something much greater and more important than it actually was, which was little more than him and a company or two fighting a delaying action against the entire Manhattan horde. Of course at some point you have to realize the writing is just that bad and there's no headcanoning around it.
>>
>>30938866
fun book, fun series, dead series

>aliens can't into submarines n shit

this or an actual good Zombie book like
"Under a Graveyard Sky"

for definitions of good, at least Ringo tries to make it plausible
>>
>>30941936
>modern national armies run by guerrilla leftist college types using WWI-era weapons against supernatural monsters.

Hello next RPG campaign.
>>
>>30941655
>“That’s it,” Dad said, “we’re getting out of here tonight and heading north.” He tried to sound determined, slapping his rifle. He’d never touched a gun in his life. He was a gentleman in the most literal sense—he was a gentle man. Short, bald, a pudgy face that turned red when he laughed, he was the king of the bad jokes and cheesy one-liners. He always had something for you, a compliment or a smile, or a little extension to my allowance that Mom wasn’t supposed to know about. He was the good cop in the family, he left all the big decisions to Mom.

I honestly feel bad for this guy and what happens to him.

>Now Mom tried to argue, tried to make him see reason. We lived above the snowline, we had all we needed. Why trek into the unknown when we could just stock up on supplies, continue to fortify the house, and just wait until the first fall frost? Dad wouldn’t hear it. We could be dead by the fall, we could be dead by next week! He was so caught up in the Great Panic. He told us it would be like an extended camping trip. We’d live on mooseburgers and wild berry desserts. He promised to teach me how to fish and asked me what I wanted to name my pet rabbit when I caught it. He’d lived in Waukesha his whole life. He’d never been camping.

I'll be honest, this is one of the better interviews in my opinion. Probably because it's about people, not fucking up politics and military elements.

>[She shows me something in the ice, a collection of cracked DVDs.]
>>
>>30942063
For accurate results of what would happen to said college types, I recommend using Only War.
>>
>>30942096
>He tried to sound determined, slapping his rifle. He’d never touched a gun in his life.
This is how bad things happen.
>>
>>30940119
RETROCULTURE
>>
>>30942036
Is the thread familiar with the Black Tide Rising series?

it's pretty fucking good compared to Brooks

Zombie virus is made by enviro-wackos, dual stage flu/rabies

Infects 75% of the planet, government has 60 days to create and distribute a vaccine for the rabies part

They completely fail. only survivors are those in good bunkers, or those who went out to sea

Nautical Zombie boat clearing for two books,
.. quad barrel water cooled 50 cal. Beach clearing

celebrity appearances and social commentary aplenty
>>
File: ArmstrongPP.png (487KB, 972x807px) Image search: [Google]
ArmstrongPP.png
487KB, 972x807px
>>30940119
RETROCULTURE, SON!
>>
>>30939656
It's even self-heating
>>
>>30942136
Sounds like one of the few ways it could happen. Still say 28 days later is also possible, although it might get cleared up depending on how fast the government reacts and where it spreads from.
>>
File: 200w-2.gif (951KB, 200x112px) Image search: [Google]
200w-2.gif
951KB, 200x112px
>>30942096
The wife in this one annoys me and gets what she deserves.
>>
>>30941353
>>30941393

2009 sounds right, before the zombie thing became overplayed tripe
>>
>>30942180
Talk shit get hit. Don't underestimate white people's ability to chimp-out.
>>
>>30942180
I like that this is the second time in the book that the male of the household saves everyone's asses by taking charge.
>>
>>30942096
>This is what people brought with them: hair dryers, GameCubes, laptops by the dozen. I don’t think they were stupid enough to think they could use them. Maybe some did. I think most people were just afraid of losing them, that they’d come home after six months and find their homes looted. We actually thought we were packing sensibly. Warm clothes, cooking utensils, things from the medicine cabinet, and all the canned food we could carry. It looked like enough food for a couple of years. We finished half of it on the way up. That didn’t bother me. It was like an adventure, the trek north.

This chapter and Hurricane Katrina a few years before got me interested in a big way in survivalism stuff, which eventually led me to /k/.

>Parks?
>Parks, designated campgrounds, any place where people thought they’d gone far enough. Dad used to look down on those people, calling them shortsighted and irrational. He said that we were still way too close to population centers and the only way to really make it was to head as far north as we could. Mom would always argue that it wasn’t their fault, that most of them had simply run out of gas. “And whose fault is that,” Dad would say. We had a lot of spare gas cans on the roof of the minivan. Dad had been stocking up since the first days of the Panic. We’d pass a lot of traffic snarls around roadside gas stations, most of which already had these giant signs outside that said NO MORE GAS."

The problem is that they didn't plan so well either.
>>
>>30940263
>b52s doing linebacker III on zeds

fund it
>>
File: 0532PrI.jpg (19KB, 630x753px) Image search: [Google]
0532PrI.jpg
19KB, 630x753px
>>30941393
>>30942214

>2009 was 7 years ago
>>
You know what I find funny about this whole thing? Back when I started Doing-Things (my crazy fanfic crossover madness), World War Z was the big "break" that divided the regular timeline from the DT one. However, they went full reverse Lo Pan and used magic to not only help create a working vaccine, but also fuck up the zombies to remove their LOL IMMUNITY TO PHYSICS, so regular weapons now did a number on them despite their supernatural toughness. Shit still went south real fast, but it wasn't quite as retarded.

Dammit, now I'm tempted to revive the old /k/ writefag thread. Anyone else interested?

Also, what's with all these storefronts and trees?
>>
File: boot.jpg (143KB, 1024x528px) Image search: [Google]
boot.jpg
143KB, 1024x528px
>>30942166
check it out.

just for the joy of having a 16 year old girl training marines on how to properly kill zombies

of course by that point she had killed thousands of them

also they have to board and clear a one of these fuckers
>>
File: T-72BM side and top view.jpg (315KB, 1200x1055px) Image search: [Google]
T-72BM side and top view.jpg
315KB, 1200x1055px
>>30941683
The most critical part is that the gunner and commander are seperated by the huge gun breach and autoloader and that soviet tanks after the T-62 are known for having limited space and be seperated from one and other, they are often compared to a fighter pilots cockpit since there is not really that much room practically and physically (tho if we are talking about how much space the crew have for their duties then they are kinda comperable to western tanks but western tanks have more room outside of their crewmembers direct seats).

And that he comforted the commander by putting his hand on his head at the same time having his head on a periscope which is only located on the commanders position and then kicked the gunner in the back as if he was directly behind him which is impossible since he is in the commanders seat and he have to kick through solid steel and do a strange curve with his legs

You have to be the ultimate ukranien to do such things.

Max brooks may have been thinking about a western tank and did not google the T-72 or even went to a wikipedia page about the T-72.

>lo pan removed autloaders
Have chinese magic gone too far?
>>
>>30942242
>fund it
Sorry, the entire budget went to fudd rifles, glorified entrenching tools, and Iron Maiden records.
>>
>>30942259
Hello darkness my old friend
>>
>>30942136

i think i saw them at books a million (terrible selection, btw) the other day.

kinda tired of zombies, tbqh famiglia
>>
>>30942214
So what launched this zombie hype? The Dawn of the Dead remake/28 Days Later?
>>
>>30942237
>GameCubes

Isn't World War Z set about 10 years in the future from when Brooks wrote the book? It was probably just an oversight on his part, but it always makes me chuckle to think people would still be using GameCubes in 2015/16.
>>
File: 20160717_212255.jpg (102KB, 492x423px) Image search: [Google]
20160717_212255.jpg
102KB, 492x423px
>>30942218
White people don't chimp out necessarily. They get very organized and wipe out whole swathes of populations. As it s
>>
>>30942275
>We did pick up one woman, walking by herself and pulling one of those wheeled airline bags. She looked pretty harmless, all alone in the rain. That’s probably why Mom made Dad stop to pick her up. Her name was Patty, she was from Winnipeg. She didn’t tell us how she got out here and we didn’t ask. She was really grateful and tried to give my parents all the money she had. Mom wouldn’t let her and promised to take her as far as we were going. She started crying, thanking us. I was proud of my parents for doing the right thing, until she sneezed and brought up a handkerchief to blow her nose. Her left hand had been in her pocket since we picked her up. We could see that it was wrapped in a cloth and had a dark stain that looked like blood. She saw that we saw and suddenly looked nervous. She told us not to worry and that she’d just cut it by accident. Dad looked at Mom, and they both got very quiet... That night I woke up when I heard the passenger door slam shut... Nothing unusual. We were always stopping for bathroom breaks. They always woke me up just in case I had to go, but this time I didn’t know what had happened until the minivan was already moving. I looked around for Patty, but she was gone. I asked my parents what had happened and they told me she’d asked them to drop her off. I looked behind us and thought I could just make her out, this little spec getting smaller each second. I thought she looked like she was running after us, but I was so tired and confused I couldn’t be sure.

Spooped.
>>
>>30942320
>kinda tired of zombies, tbqh famiglia

Everyone is, it's genre fatigue and it's to be expected. Mainstream culture hoped on the zombie train in, what, 2003/2004?
>>
File: t-72_int_04_of_32.jpg (619KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
t-72_int_04_of_32.jpg
619KB, 2048x1536px
>>30942275
Well, you could have a guy inside infront of the commanders feets but it would be directly impossible for you to kick the gunner.
>>
>>30942329
If the zombie's disrupted luxury industries, it could've caused consoles to stagnate I guess. Kind of like how in Muv-Luv, vidya doesn't exist at all.
>>
>>30942350
Beware the fury of a patient man. When whites are well and truly pissed, they don't just ruin your day. They ruin your civilization.
>>
all I can say is,

magic zombies aren't real
..but real zombies are

Current Genre fad that hasn't hit mainstream but is fucking huge overseas.. litrpg aka alternate game world stuff

it's really low tier stuff, there's a couple of good authors, but only some

lets hope alien invasion comes back into popularity
>>
>>30942375
The book likely takes place around 2012-ish, Colin Powell seems to have ran and won in 2008 which partially explains why everything still feels like the middle of the Bush era.
>>
>>30942410
black man keeping us down!
>>
>>30942375
No no, the Great Panic takes place around 2015/2016, the interviews about 10-15 years after that. That doesn't explain GameCubes. Not unless hipsterism became even more mainstream in World War Z's timeline, which adds a whole new layer of spoopiness.
>>
File: 1468982382517.jpg (63KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
1468982382517.jpg
63KB, 960x720px
>>30938170

What I've basically taken from these threads is that if you try to fight the zombies any way other than fudd rifles, your entire command structure will instantly lose 30 IQ points and all your heavy weapon systems will become arbitrarily useless. And using aircraft against the zombies is simply inconceivable, apparently, unless you actually ran your aircraft into the zombies to try and use the rotors like a buzz saw.
>>
>>30942410
> Colin Powell seems to have ran and won in 2008

Oh, what could have been...
>>
File: thanks lind.jpg (50KB, 500x324px) Image search: [Google]
thanks lind.jpg
50KB, 500x324px
>>30942360
>For a little while it was. We had this great campsite right on the shore of a lake, not too many people around, but just enough to make us feel “safe,” you know, if any of the dead showed up. Everyone was real friendly, this big, collective vibe of relief. It was kind of like a party at first. There were these big cookouts every night, people all throwing in what they’d hunted or fished, mostly fished. Some guys would throw dynamite in the lake and there’d be this huge bang and all these fish would come floating to the surface. I’ll never forget those sounds, the explosions or the chainsaws as people cut down trees, or the music of car radios and instruments families had brought. We all sang around the campfires at night, these giant bonfires of logs stacked up on one another.

Obviously, this sort of happiness exists to get shit upon by, not zombies, but other people. Frankly, that aspect of human degradation is one of the things that I enjoy about zombie fiction

>That was when we still had trees, before the second and third waves starting showing up, when people were down to burning leaves and stumps, then finally whatever they could get their hands on. The smell of plastic and rubber got really bad, in your mouth, in your hair. By that time the fish were all gone, and anything left for people to hunt. No one seemed to worry. Everyone was counting on winter freezing the dead.

I'm no hippy, but this image of a land stripped bare and people burning car seats to stay warm spoops me. It might trigger some Iraq and Afghan veterans who don't like burn pits either.

>But once the dead were frozen, how were you going to survive the winter?

>[She draws my attention to another object in the ice, a Sponge-Bob SquarePants sleeping bag. It is small, and stained brown.]

WE DID IT, MAX! WE SAVED THE USA!
>>
>>30939928
The rats did it for them.

>But animals don't eat zombies
NYC rats do.
>>
>>30942436
WWZ is just a bad book,

and the movie.. don't even get me started on that
>>
>>30942436
Lo Pan was exceedingly specific and thorough in his curse
>>
File: 1470595741663.jpg (630KB, 1024x681px) Image search: [Google]
1470595741663.jpg
630KB, 1024x681px
>>30942423
Sounds about right.
>>
>>30942513
Meant for >>30942436
>>
>>30942506
where the Fuck is Jack Burton in all of this?
>>
>>30942545
Extracting the President from New York, naturally
>>
File: vlcsnap-915518.png (274KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-915518.png
274KB, 512x384px
>>30942552
And going by the name, Snake.
>>
seriously.. why is every movie based in new york or dc or LA

any reasonable catastrophe would kill off those cities anyway

How does one fight the zombie apocalypse in.. MONTANA

"Pa.. dogs barkin".. BANG
"Whelp that's the forth zed we seen this year, things are getting bad I reckon"
>>
I read a short story about life after the zombie apoc,, guys drove massive herds of cattle around..

Cows aren't scared of zombies, zombie attacks a cow it gets squished

100 zombies attack cows.. 1000 cows squish zombies
>>
>>30942489
>What do you think this is rated to, a heated bedroom at a sleepover party? Okay, maybe they couldn’t get a proper bag—camping stores were always the first bought out or knocked off—but you can’t believe how ignorant some of these people were. A lot of them were from Sunbelt states, some as far away as southern Mexico. You’d see people getting into their sleeping bags with their boots on, not realizing that it was cutting off their circulation. You’d see them drinking to get warm, not realizing it was actually lowering their temperature by releasing more body heat. You’d see them wearing these big heavy coats with nothing but a T-shirt underneath. They’d do something physical, overheat, take off the coat. Their bodies’d be coated in sweat, a lot of cotton cloth holding in the moisture. The breeze’d come up…a lot of people got sick that first September. Cold and flu. They gave it to the rest of us.

You get the idea. Things quickly get worse as supplies start to run out.

>But after the first month, when the food started running out, and the days got colder and darker, people started getting mean. There were no more communal fires, no more cookouts or singing... A couple times I stepped in human shit. Nobody was even bothering to bury it.

Wow, humans are the real animals.

>I wasn’t left alone with neighbors anymore, my parents didn’t trust anyone. Things got dangerous, you’d see a lot of fights. I saw two women wrestling over a fur coat, tore it right down the middle. I saw one guy catching another guy trying to steal some stuff out of his car and beat his head in with a tire iron... One time we heard someone moving outside the makeshift tent we’d draped over the minivan. Mom told me to put my head down and cover my ears. Dad went outside. Through my hands I heard shouts. Dad’s gun went off. Someone screamed. Dad came back in, his face was white. I never asked him what happened.

Really makes you think...
>>
>>30941931
it's a book of a mech unit's company comander. pretty legit famalam
>>
>>30942727
Doesn't make me think

Civilization is security for the stupid
when shit breaks down there's only two types of survivors, the prepared and the predators
>>
>>30942329
I would still use my GCN, but the Wii is backwards compatible so why bother.

Also it's a very small console and used mini discs so it would be easy to back.

And because it's made of Nintendium you can club a zombie to death with it and then go back to Super Smash Bros.
>>
>>30942834
Ron Swanson its good to hear from you
>>
I like it in these style of books when they question survivors to find them work

"What was your pre-apoc work experience"
"Oh.. 15 years as a patent lawyer.."

.."Ok your now on the body cremation detail"
>>
>>30942834
People always say shit like this, but disaster after disaster we see that people are more likely to band together to help each other out. Because, you know, humans are social animals and not solitary predators.
>>
>>30942834
CUT MY LIFE INTO PIECES
THIS IS MY LAST RESORST
>>
>>30942894
>>30942888
>>30942861
Ha.. made you all think didn't

Yes people will band together, as they should
But they'll stab their neighbor for a crust of bread when they are starving.
>>
>>30942965
You sure got us, Mr. Brooks!
>>
>>30942727
>The only time anyone ever came together was when one of the dead showed up. These were the ones who’d followed the third wave, coming alone or in small packs. It happened every couple of days. Someone would sound an alarm and everyone would rally to take them out. And then, as soon as it was over, we’d all turn on each other again.

It's not necessarily unrealistic that zombies are less of a threat than other people. However, you would expect zombies that routed the US military to be perhaps more threatening, even in small groups.

Because it's cold enough to freeze the zombies, some people decide to try to walk back home (which I imagine is something out of The Road). The narrator and her father decide to stay.

>[We come upon a collection of bones, too many to count. They lie in a pit, half covered in ice.]

This is important for later spooping.

>I was a pretty heavy kid. I never played sports, I lived on fast food and snacks. I was only a little bit thinner when we arrived in August. By November, I was like a skeleton. Mom and Dad didn’t look much better. Dad’s tummy was gone, Mom had these narrow cheekbones. They were fighting a lot, fighting about everything. That scared me more than anything. They’d never raised their voices at home. They were schoolteachers, “progressives.”

Why did it have to be zombies that ended the Amerifat stereotype? Surely we could have done it without a millions dying.
>>
>>30942870
>computer technician
Radio repair
>auto mechanic
Gunsmith
>Draftsman
Weapons designer
>construction worker
Defense engineer
>Navy SEAL
Grunt
>stand up comedian
Bait
>poli-sci major
Brigade Commander
>>
Where to get free books? I was trying to read Beyond Exile but I am poor.
>>
>>30943049
Try bookzz.
>>
>>30943040
>Brigade Commander
>Implying poli-sci students know ANYTHING about military tactics, and aren't one of the biggest meme majors.

All the people you listed with actual skills would probably keep doing the same job (just because it's the apocalypse doesn't mean we don't need computers), while all the people with know practical skills get put into dumb labor.
>>
>>30943049
I like Kindle unlimited
>>
>>30943105
without practical skills*
>>
>>30942613
>Keep the US safe, Hoss!
>>
womens studies and lgbt warriors wouldn't survive long enough to be employed anyway
>>
>>30943011
>One time, around Thanksgiving…I couldn’t get out of my sleeping bag. My belly was swollen and I had these sores on my mouth and nose. There was this smell coming from the neighbor’s RV. They were cooking something, meat, it smelled really good. Mom and Dad were outside arguing. Mom said “it” was the only way. I didn’t know what “it” was. She said “it” wasn’t “that bad” because the neighbors, not us, had been the ones to actually “do it.” Dad said that we weren’t going to stoop to that level and that Mom should be ashamed of herself. Mom really laid into Dad, screeching that it was all his fault that we were here, that I was dying. Mom told him that a real man would know what to do. She called him a wimp and said he wanted us to die so then he could run away and live like the “faggot” she always knew he was. Dad told her to shut the fuck up. Dad never swore. I heard something, a crack from outside. Mom came back in, holding a clump of snow over her right eye. Dad followed her. He didn’t say anything. He had this look on his face I’d never seen before, like he was a different person. He grabbed my survival radio, the one people’d try to buy…or steal, for a long time, and went back out toward the RV. He came back ten minutes later, without the radio but with a big bucket of this steaming hot stew.

#REKT

>[I kneel to examine the bone pile. They have all been broken, the marrow extracted.]

That's right, cannibalism.

>Winter really hit us in early December. The snow was over our heads, literally, mountains of it, thick and gray from the pollution. The camp got silent. No more fights, no more shooting. By Christmas Day there was plenty of food.

>[She holds up what looks like a miniature femur. It has been scraped clean by a knife.]

This might be creepier than retarded girl telling the story about the Churchgoers killing their children rather than let the zombies eat them.
>>
If you want a more passable Zombie story, there's Day by Day Armageddon. The beginning is bretty /k/ with how some guy survives in his home for a while.

The ending gets a little lol though with how convenient things get.
>>
>>30943147
Spooped
>>
>>30943147
They say eleven million people died that winter, and that’s just in North America. That doesn’t count the other places: Greenland, Iceland, Scandinavia. I don’t want to think about Siberia, all those refugees from southern China, the ones from Japan who’d never been outside a city, and all those poor people from India. That was the first Gray Winter, when the filth in the sky started changing the weather. They say that a part of that filth, I don’t know how much, was ash from human remains.

One of the things I like about WWZ is how lingers in the ecological damage. Call me a romantic, but the idea of grey snow, an ocean devoid of whales (spoiler), and that sort of destruction really makes me sad - especially so when people talk about it so casually as though its all they've known.

>Why do they come back after freezing? All human cells contain water, right? And when that water freezes, it expands and bursts the cell walls. That’s why you can’t just freeze people in suspended animation, so then why does it work for the living dead

I think we know the answer.
>>
File: 1470446353437.png (151KB, 421x500px) Image search: [Google]
1470446353437.png
151KB, 421x500px
>>30943011

>Whole world dies
>Americans "healthy body image" allowed Americans to survive
It's perfect.

Also
>Progressives
They deserve it.
>>
>>30943139
Breeding stock or fucktoys if they're lucky.
>>
>>30943172
>
Magic Zombies are garbage
>>
>>30943181
Hold your horses, Lind.
>>
>>30943105
The last few weren't serious. I was feeding into the "7 colleges defeat zombie hordes" story.
>>
>>30943172
Your pic related is the answer clearly
>>
>>30943198
No that chick ends up being a NonComm that loses her shit talking to a turtle
>>
>>30943181
>>30943195
lol that was in like, John Ringo territory
>>
>>30943223
The plane crash survivor? No, that's different.
>>
>>30943192
Well Lo Pan is the only answer to all the retardation
>>
wait.. isn't there a scene in wwz where the Canadians just go out with dogs in the winter and cut off the heads of the frozen zombies with axes

I know in Ringo's series canada is never really endangered cause the zombies are all naked, yes that's right all zombies in his books are naked, so no movie can even be made

..also sometimes they are erect, so it's like 28 days later with bitey rapey zombies
>>
>>30943243
No, different people. The plane crash lady was a separate interview. He's referring to Todd Wainio's NCO who saw a turtle and just broke down.
>>
>>30943243
No the chick that sang and shit during the battle of the colleges or whatever. She becomes mark hamil's squad leader and gets removed because she was talking to a turtle
>>
>>30943254
What he said
>>
>>30943225
Ringo would never make a sex slave out of anyone old enough to have a college degree
>>
So, anyone want to hear about Poo-in-Loos almost fucking up their version of the South African plan?
>>
I feel like playing some dead rising 3 now,
I just wish this was a better game

Project Zomboid has made amazing progress in the last.. 5 years

still no cure for a zombie bite though
>>
>>30943283
pffft...haha
>>
>>30943284
Yeah, go for it seeing as you skipped Dungkirk
>>
>>30943284
Did they drown everyone not in the upper caste with shit?
>>
>>30943254
>>30943256
Oh, I forgot about her. My bad I last read the book in 2007-ish.

>>30943284
Sure, India's always amusing.
>>
>>30943303
zombie apoc would probably improve India
>>
File: 1455030558313.jpg (39KB, 680x370px) Image search: [Google]
1455030558313.jpg
39KB, 680x370px
>>30943301
>Dungkirk

Holy shit I'm dying kek!
>>
>>30943301
Fair enough. I'll do it. One or two more tonight.

Since it even ends on a scatological note, I suppose that I must
>>
Due to the audio book i say we refer to Waino as Luke Skywalker from now on
>>
>>30943313
Reminds me of this one comic I read once, Supergod. The poo2loos create their own demigod and program him to save India. Which he does by promptly killing off most of it's population.
>>
>>30943343
No problem
>>
File: 1455275003376.jpg (85KB, 604x358px) Image search: [Google]
1455275003376.jpg
85KB, 604x358px
>>30943345
Thats the only way to save india
>>
>not weeping at the sight of the sheer majesty every time you see a porpoise

She just had good taste.
>>
>>30943348
Excellent
https://youtu.be/MfB1VdNWtEU
>>
>>30943345
>glossed over russian gods
>6 million dollar man was just homo
>CTHULHU CHINA
>final showdown? TPK!
>Brits had better rockets than US or Russia, just never told anyone
ugh.
>>
>>30942328
This, vidya games, katrina, and the occasional use of 'zombie' as a code for 'black people riot'
>>
>>30942328
>Dawn of the Dead remake
That's when I first noticed it getting popular. Otherwise, zombies have always had a cult following.
>>
>>30943434
fucking ziggers...
>>
>>30943381
Yeah, the ending was some stupid bullshit, though I actually kind of liked that increasingly apocalyptic feeling it had towards the end.
>>
>>30940200
Shit man we've had this wrong the whole time.

Instead of using artillery we should just throw cars at isis.
>>
>>30940200
in sensible zombie books.. artillery works damn good, just not in urban settings
>>
>>30938170
>Let's Read: World War Z
Let's not. It's one of the worst books I've ever read. And it can't even justify itself saying "uh well its teen oriented". Like who the fuck even likes it?
>>
>>30943565
>t. Buzz Killington
>>
>>30942834
Bruh the closest to a true apocalypse weve seen was the black death, and they whipped their societies back into shape despite not having the faintest idea about germ theory.

give humans some credit, civilized people tend to create civilization in the absense of it, or modify existing ones to fit new circumstance.
>>
>>30943565

that'sthejoke.bmp
>>
>>30943565

I think you're way too late. We're most of the way through the book, or did you not notice the many previous threads and 200+ post count?
>>
>UDAIPUR LAKE PALACE, LAKE PICHOLA, RAJASTHAN, INDIA
>[Completely covering its foundation of Jagniwas Island, this idyllic, almost fairy-tale structure was once a maharaja’s residence, then a luxury hotel, then a haven to several hundred refugees, until an outbreak of cholera killed them all.
>until an outbreak of cholera killed them all

India pls, I've barely even begun

>Under the direction of Project Manager Sardar Khan, the hotel, like the lake and surrounding city, is finally
beginning to return to life. During his recollections, Mister Khan sounds less like a battle-hardened, highly educated civilian engineer, and more like a young, frightened lance corporal who once found himself on a chaotic mountain road.]

Interestingly enough "corporal" seems like a reasonable translation of the Indian 'Lance Naik' enlisted rank.

>I remember the monkeys, hundreds of them, climbing and skittering among the vehicles, even over the tops of people’s heads. I’d watched them as far back as Chandigarh, leaping from roofs and balconies as the living dead filled the street. I remember them scattering, chattering, scrambling straight up telephone poles to escape the zombies’ grasping arms. Some didn’t even wait to be attacked; they knew. And now they were here, on this narrow, twisting Himalayan goat track. They called it a road, but even in peacetime it had been a notorious death trap.

Is India really any worse for all the zombies?
>>
>>30943589
>People were still trying to struggle with suitcases, boxes; one man was stubbornly holding on to the monitor for a desktop PC. A monkey landed on his head, trying to use it as a stepping-stone, but the man was too close to the edge and the two of them went tumbling over the side. It seemed like every second someone would lose their footing. There were just too many people. The road didn’t even have a guardrail. I saw a whole bus go over, I don’t even know how, it wasn’t even moving. Passengers were climbing out of the windows because the doors of the bus had been jammed by foot traffic. One woman was halfway out the window when the bus tipped over. Something was in her arms, something clutched tightly to her. I tell myself that it wasn’t moving, or crying, that it was just a bundle of clothes. No one within arm’s reach tried to help her. No one even looked, they just kept streaming by. Sometimes when I dream about that moment, I can’t tell the difference between them and the monkeys.

India pls, the jokes write themselves

>I wasn’t supposed to be there, I wasn’t even a combat engineer. I was with the BRO1 ; my job was to build roads, not blow them up. I’d just been wandering through the assembly area at Shimla, trying to find what remained of my unit, when this engineer, Sergeant Mukherjee, grabbed me by the arm and said, “You, soldier, you know how to drive?

Indian """military discipline"""

>“Get back to the pass! Go! Go!” I took off down the road, screeching and skidding and trying desperately to explain that I was actually a steamroller driver, and not even fully qualified at that. Mukherjee didn’t hear me. He was too busy fiddling with the device on his lap. “The charges are already set,” he explained.

Basically, they plan to blow these passes to make things more difficult for zombies. You don't want to know about their Plan B.
>>
>>30943693
well now I do silly.
>>
>>30943693
Poo in the passes?
>>
>>30943717
It's yet another Frodo for the counter.
>>
>>30943717
>>30943744
Good riddance, I read this book almost ten years ago or so...I just didn't remember anything about it or that it sucked this much.
>>
>>30943693
>I knew, vaguely, that our retreat into the Himalayas had something to do with some kind of master plan, and that part of that plan meant closing all the mountain passes to the living dead. I never dreamed, however, that I would be such a vital participant! For the sake of civil conversation, I will not repeat my profane reaction to Mukherjee, nor Mukherjee’s equally profane reaction when we arrived at the pass and found it still full of refugees.

I feel like there might be something geographical to critique, but I don't know Indian geography well enough

>We noticed a soldier from the Rashtriya Rifles, the outfit that was supposed to be securing the road’s mountain entrance, come running past the jeep. Mukherjee jumped out and grabbed the man. “What the hell is this?” he asked; he was a big man, tough and angry. “You were supposed to keep the road clear.” The other man was just as angry, just as scared. “You want to shoot your grandmother, go ahead!” He shoved the sergeant aside and kept going.

>Mukherjee answered that he would blow it when the zombies got here, and not a second before. He wasn’t about to commit murder no matter what some pissant lieutenant…

>But then Mukherjee stopped in midsentence and looked at something over my head. I whipped around, and suddenly found myself staring into the face of General Raj-Singh!

Woops.

>I don’t know where he came from, why he was there…to this day no one believes me, not that he wasn’t there, but that I was. I was inches away from him, from the Tiger of Delhi! I’ve heard that people tend to view those they respect as appearing physically taller than they actually are. In my mind, he appears as a virtual giant. Even with his torn uniform, his bloody turban, the patch on his right eye and the bandage on his nose (one of his men had smashed him in the face to get him on the last chopper out of Gandhi Park).

If he's so great, how come he lost to zombies?

Frodo Count: 30
>>
>>30943808
His greatness probably comes from being able to actually poo in a loo not his fighting
>>
>>30943775
Parts of it aren't bad, some even approach being good. They're sandwiched between shit though.
>>
>>30943836
This book is a lot like india. Its mostly filled with shit but here and there is a clean street thats not so shitty.
>>
>>30943808
>If he's so great, how come he lost to zombies
He shows up later in the ISS portion. He died in a gallant last stand some place else in India.

Shpoilers.
>>
>>30943808
>“Gentlemen,” he began…he called us “Gentlemen” and explained, very carefully, that the road had to be destroyed immediately. The air force, what was left of it, had its own orders concerning the closure of all mountain passes. At this moment, a single Shamsher fighter bomber was already on station above our position. If we found ourselves unable, or unwilling, to accomplish our mission, then the Jaguar’s pilot was ordered to execute “Shiva’s Wrath.” “Do you know what that means?” Raj-Singh asked. Maybe he thought I was too young to understand, or maybe he must have guessed, somehow, that I was Muslim, but even if I’d known absolutely nothing about the Hindu deity of destruction, everyone in uniform had heard rumors about the “secret” code name for the use of thermonuclear weapons.

This is worth a Frodo, and thankfully the book explains it.

>Wouldn’t that have destroyed the pass?

>Yes, and half the mountain as well! Instead of a narrow choke point hemmed in by sheer cliff walls, you would have had little more than a massive, gently sloping ramp. The whole point of destroying these roads was to create a barrier inaccessible to the living dead, and now some ignorant air force general with an atomic erection was going to give them the perfect entrance right into the safe zone!

Seems like a shitty plan desu

Frodo Count: 31

>Mukherjee gulped, not sure of what to do, until the Tiger held out his hand for the detonator. Ever the hero, he was now willing to accept the burden of mass murderer. The sergeant handed it over, close to tears. General Raj-Singh thanked him, thanked us both, whispered a prayer, then pressed his thumbs down on the firing buttons. Nothing happened, he tried again, no response. He checked the batteries, all the connections, and tried a third time.

Well, poo
>>
>>30943918
Looks like the detonator crapped out.
>>
>>30943909
No he was knocked out during the last Stand and put on an evac bird. He killed himself to restore his honor or because his designated shit street was over run whichever
>>
>>30943909
>>30943918
Wait, I got that backwards. They watched his gallant last stand, he dies here.
>>
>>30943918
The real Frodo here is why do they just jump from 'blow the bridge' to 'nuke 'em'. Don't they have any PGMs on hand? Or even just some dumb bombs?
>>
>>30943936
With a hoard of refugees and zombies, it's the sort of situation that would make your crap your pants
>>
File: 1468451620641.jpg (131KB, 525x809px) Image search: [Google]
1468451620641.jpg
131KB, 525x809px
>>30943936
>>
>>30943963
Good catch. Maybe they expended them earlier before realizing that things that aren't small arms to the head are bad at fighting Lo Pan zombies
>>
>>30943963
Can't just nuke zombies. Needs to be shot in the head with fudd guns. Explosions do nothing, including nuclear explosions.
>>
File: EKawrIn.gif (422KB, 500x276px) Image search: [Google]
EKawrIn.gif
422KB, 500x276px
>>30943980>>30943963
Joe dirt used their last PGM to try to get info on his parents, remember?
>>
>>30943993
Wouldn't be surprised if nuking a bunch of zombies vaporized everything below the neck but left the head because tough luck you didn't get a headshot
>>
>>30944018
Exploding cars are more dangerous than MLRS, so I think you might be onto something here
>>
>>30940462
kek
>>
File: 17425677_1.jpg (81KB, 1050x555px) Image search: [Google]
17425677_1.jpg
81KB, 1050x555px
Zombies gonna learn
>>
>>30944025
While we're at it, do you think you could go back and do the Iran-Pakistan nuclear exchange to close out the thread?
>>
>>30943918
>Thank God for General Raj-Singh. He reacted…exactly how you would expect a living legend to react. He ordered us to get out of here, save ourselves and get to Shimla, then turned and ran right into crowd. Mukherjee and I looked at each other, without much hesitation, I’m happy to say, and took off after him.

>Now we wanted to be heroes, too, to protect our general and shield him from the crowd. What a joke. We never even saw him once the masses enveloped us like a raging river. I was pushed and shoved from all directions. I don’t know when I was punched in the eye. I shouted that I needed to get past, that this was army business. No one listened. I fired several shots in the air. No one noticed. I considered actually firing into the crowd. I was becoming as desperate as them. Out of the corner of my eye I saw Mukherjee go tumbling over the side with another man still fighting for his rifle.

It's okay. Who expects a piece of crap like INSAS to work anyway?

>Then the wind came up; it brought the stink and moan whipping through the valley. In front of me, about half a kilometer ahead, the crowd began running. I strained my eyes…squinted. The dead were coming. Slow and deliberate, and just as tightly packed as the refugees they were devouring.

>The microbus shook and I fell. First I was floating on a sea of human bodies, then suddenly I was beneath them, shoes and bare feet trampling on my flesh. I felt my ribs crack, I coughed and tasted blood. I pulled myself under the microbus. My body was aching, burning. I couldn’t speak. I could barely see. I heard the sound of the approaching zombies. I guessed that they couldn’t be more than two hundred meters away. I swore I wouldn’t die like the others, all those victims torn to pieces, that cow I saw struggling and bleeding on the banks of the Satluj River in Rupnagar.
>>
>>30944055
> that cow I saw struggling and bleeding on the banks of the Satluj River in Rupnagar.

Fuck now its holy war, right?
>>
>>30944074
the guy being interviewed is a muzzie
>>
>>30944099
ah, so it shoulda been a goat...
>>
>>30944055
>I fumbled for my sidearm, my hand wouldn’t work. I cursed and cried. I thought I’d be religious at that point, but I was just so scared and angry I started beating my head against the underside of the van... Suddenly there was a deafening roar and the ground rose up underneath me. A wave of screams and moans mixed with this powerful blast of pressurized dust. My face slammed into the machinery above, knocking me cold.

This seems like a shitty situation.

>The first thing I remember when I came to was a very faint sound. At first I thought it was water. It sounded like a fast drip…tap-tap-tap, like that. The tap became clearer, and I suddenly became aware of two other sounds, the crackle of my radio… I crawled out from under the microbus. At least my legs were still working well enough to stand. I realized that I was alone, no refugees, no General Raj-Singh. I was standing among a collection of discarded personal belongings in the middle of a deserted mountain path. In front of me was a charred cliff wall. Beyond it was the other side of the severed road.

>That’s where the moan was coming from. The living dead were still coming for me. With eyes front and arms outstretched, they were falling in droves off the shattered edge. That was the tapping sound: their bodies smashing on the valley floor far below.

What a last stand. And, as the old Space Marine codex stated (before GW totally started sucking their deck), probably unnecessary.

>The monkey didn’t help matters any. He was sitting on top of the microbus, just watching the undead plunge to their end. His face appeared so serene, so intelligent, as if he truly understood the situation. I almost wanted him to turn to me and say, “This is the turning point of the war! We’ve finally stopped them! We’re finally safe!” But instead his little penis popped out and he peed in my face.

Is there a more perfect way to finish an India chapter? I think not.
>>
>>30944143
>monkey, what is your wisdom?
"Pee on Curry"
>and so we did
>>
>>30944143
Would've been more accurate if the muslim dude blew himself up.
>>
It's getting late, so I'm going to quit. Planning to continue tomorrow, including the Iran-Pakistan nuclear war by popular demand. Maybe Oppenheimer will chime in to make Brooks look dumber than before.
>>
>>30943918
>acknowledging that there are Muslim Indians

Well, I can give him a tiny bit of credit for that, at least.
>>
>>30944204
If you're going to do that, can you do Dungkirk as well?
>>
>>30944204
Thank you OP, goodnight
>>
>>30944215
What the hell, why not!
>>
>>30944239
Thank you, BillyBoy. Have a good night.
>>
>>30939203

not EVERYONE in the GDR was a communist in WW2 anon

he's talking about the postwar East Germans being raised to dissociate themselves from the crimes of Nazi Germany in the forty years after the war
>>
>>30938894

It doesn't treat blacks *better* but it's less patronizing insofar as it doesn't have them voluntarily form councils of responsible niggers and vote away their own rights

It does however treat women significantly better than Lind, insofar as there is a female character who stands up for herself and has useful skills.
>>
>>30944383
Yes, but the government was comprised of people who weren't culpable.
>>
>>30944394
>It doesn't treat blacks *better* but it's less patronizing insofar as it doesn't have them voluntarily form councils of responsible niggers and vote away their own rights

That's basically my understanding
>>
>>30942274
At that point I'd just be like "Fuck it! Scuttle the bitch and send flowers."
>>
File: Tyler Smith.png (223KB, 720x400px) Image search: [Google]
Tyler Smith.png
223KB, 720x400px
>>30942834
CRAWLING IN MY SKIIIIIIIIN!
>>
File: johnringodesignblue.jpg (23KB, 320x205px) Image search: [Google]
johnringodesignblue.jpg
23KB, 320x205px
>>30943248
>>
>>30942841
Fucking this, the military probably uses old gamecubes as the secret sauce in abrams armor
>>
>>30944568
Too valuable. Her machinery is too valuable for parts alone to just scuttle it, and if it's functional the ship is priceless.
>>
>>30940462
Top kek.
>>
Just wanted to say I've really been enjoying these threads OP. Thanks!
>>
>>30942166

Here's the main problem with 28 days later, at least in areas of the world that aren't hyper-urbanized, as most of Europe is.

Having a virus that tuns people quickly and is extremely contagious significantly decreases response time and limits the geographical spread of the outbreak.

Also, the people retaining "normal" biological functions makes them stupid easy to kill.

>Houston, TX site of first outbreak
>Houston falls
>Houston is quarantined same day, many evacuees are saved by surviving local police units and large groups of civilian militia
>heavily armed, probably armor units, start clearing the city. It's all over soon
or
>US military gasses the fucking city, all zombies ded

There will be almost no spread, because even if zombies can run at a dead sprint indefinitely (which is biologically impossible) you will hit patch of ground where the nearest town is miles and miles away.

Even in countries with comparatively small militaries and nearly unarmed police forces wouldn't really have any difficulty cordoning off a single city. I thought 28 days/weeks were fucking stupid. I especially thought that the UK army unit they found was fucking retarded

>oh man, we've been out of contact with the military proper for a few weeks (which is stupid for many, many, many reasons anyway)
>better gang rape the first women we come across!
>glad all but a single soldier, an NCO no less, is okay with this!

I absolutely detest those movies.
>>
>>30942727

>getting a flu or cold by literally being cold

This... this will never cease to fucking trigger me. This is just as bad as the Fulda-Fucktards "why we lost Yonkers" thing.

Being cold doesn't generate flu viruses. Fuck, being cold does NOTHING to cause you to be more susceptible to a virus, and "temperature" I'm sorry to say, is not a vector for infection. Consider me triggered.
>>
File: 1469449598623.jpg (196KB, 432x444px) Image search: [Google]
1469449598623.jpg
196KB, 432x444px
>>30943149
>Day by Day Armageddon

muh negro companion
>>
>>30942834

But humans created society, we didn't fucking find it.

>a band of roving brigands that club and eat women and children, while rapeing the men are wandering Mesopotamia 10,000 BC
>some dude picks up a rather large rock to club a particularly delectable middle aged (see: 15 year old) woman
>holy shit what is this guys?! I found a shiny!
>and thus Babylon was born

No.

Humans, at least most humans, especially in survival or dire situations, revert to their base instinct, which is not "fight or flight" or even "what's mine is mine, fuck off."

The base human instinct is "mutual altruism" because most people assume (often correctly) that adding a member to the party will add skills or manpower beneficial to the group unavailable otherwise. It is society, making impersonal and easy procurement of vital goods possible, that allows an anti-social fucktard to survive. Remember, that edgy asshole everyone thinks is going to shoot up the office and refuses to participate in water-cooler gossip and obviously prints his CCW constantly, that guy is going to get giga-fucked by the rest of the guys in the office that team up and work together.
>>
>>30938983
>>30939090
This part always annoyed me.
>Retreat is called
>I don't wanna!
>Retreat now, we don't have time or resources to lose
>You're literally Hitler!
>>
>>30939928
You've got full maps and good lighting there.
People still get lost and die in the catacombs every once in a while.
>>
>>30946532

>disease is actually an alien-superbug brought to earth by an ET astronaut
>using an ICBM to shoot a carrier

It fucking sucks and the author is a hack.
>>
>>30946684
>reading past the first book

You deserved it
>>
>>30946653
>>30939928

Subways would be totally flooded. The only thing that keeps them traversable anyway is massive pumps working 24/7. I'm sure some would be largely collapsed, especially if the ecology and environment of the Earth was that fucked up.

>>30946690

The first one was shitty, too, but those were the two biggest retard moments I can remember.

also
>all book sequels are allowed to be complete dogshit if the source material is even somewhat bearable

no.
>>
>>30946684
>disease is actually an alien-superbug brought to earth by an ET astronaut

>giving a fuck about where a fucking zombie plague comes from

wew lad

>using an ICBM to shoot a carrier

China.
>>
>>30946758

>giving a fuck about where a fucking zombie plague comes from

When it is something this fucking stupid, I have to care. Zombieland's "mad human disease" explanation is at least 4.5 billion times better, and I still am not a fan of that explanation.

>China

Oh look, he doesn't know how ICBMs work, or the classes of missiles. How cute.

I'll give you a hint: China doesn't plan on using fucking ICBMs to shoot carriers.

I'll give you another hint: missiles are only programmed to target so many things.
>>
File: 1464878475546.jpg (37KB, 477x461px) Image search: [Google]
1464878475546.jpg
37KB, 477x461px
>>30946784
>2016
>thinks ICBMs have all their possible targets 'programmed' and they're not simply told where to go and what detonation to do
>>
>>30946826

Yeah talk to Oppenheimer about that one.

Not even gonna touch it, but nevertheless, you're still wrong.
>>
>>30946845
it's okay to admit that you don't know how lat and longitude work
>>
File: 1470474880176.jpg (71KB, 640x622px) Image search: [Google]
1470474880176.jpg
71KB, 640x622px
>>30946871

Seriously, talk to Oppenheimer. This is a well-known fact on this board. Warheads are programmed with certain attack options when they are made. We've discussed this hundreds of times, at least.

I'm actually a little shocked you don't know this. This is the entire reason that people get upset over the whole "steal silo, nuke city" plot lines.
>>
>>30946896
>Warheads are programmed with certain attack options when they are made.

Rapid Execution and Combat Targeting System.
>>
>>30947046

That's for the military to be able to deliver targets to the weapons.

You cannot reprogram the missile in the silo on site.

It isn't DEFCON where you point to a target on the map and make it stop existing.
>>
>>30943565
>Like who the fuck even likes it?
Teens, even if it's not necessarily meant for them. Most people (including me) in these threads generally say something along the lines of 'this read better when I was a teenager in the Bush years but it's shit now'.
>>
>>30946520
The cold wont make you mor susceptible, but if you are malnourished and using all of your energy to stay warm your immune system is gonna shit the bed.

Toss in inadequate sanitation and its not exactly hard to imagine sickness being pretty common, hell dont gotta imagine it.

Look at the russian gulags where people died from normally preventable or treatable illnesses every day. It wasnt really pnemonia, the flu or the cold killing them. It was secondary effects of starvation and malnutrition.
>>
Did anyone notice how most of the people in the book are racial charictures?

>cold unfeeling post-soviets gassing everyone cuz "is fast way to sort infected from zombie!"
>the holocaust guilt tripped germans
>japs are either katana wielding nerds or some wierd mystic blind warrior monks
>americans are tech obsessed fatties who have to man up and re-adopt the old american fudd-culture
>isrealis being sneaky and moving to deal with the issue before anyone else, but also not telling anyone about it
>corrupt chinks playing political games

The charecters in the story were actually kinda shallow if you really think about it.
>>
>>30947677
Wait you expected such a shit writer to actually have characters more complex than the well known stereotypes?
>>
>>30947677
Don't forget Indians being filthy
>>
>>30947677
t b h, I'm going to post a bunch of HOTD pictures when I get to the Japan part. It's only fitting.
>>
>>30947698
How was I supposed to know he was a shit writer until I read his book?

I read it back before it got a lot of attention. Like maybe 4 or 5 months after I dismissed it as shit writing it blew up in popularity.
>>
>>30948080
Well he did write Zombie Survival Guide before that, though that had the 'excuse' of being somewhat tongue-in-cheek.
>>
>>30948185
I honestly dont pay attention to stuff like that, so I didnt know.

I saw a book, it was an entertaining read, but I dont know why people took it so seriously.

It was pretty terrible writing in a lot of places, charecters were b-movie stereotypes, and the weapons and tactics were god-awful.

Plus its in a genre thats been memed to death and has no originality left in it. By now the zombie thing has been done so much its all just remakes of the remakes that were remade from some 80's B-movies.
>>
>>30943289
>cure for a zombie bite
Try a large dose of lead
>>
>>30946472

yeah, you ever read about how Ebola is actually terrible at spreading because of its high lethality and rapid onset limiting the amount of time it can infect others? same sort of stuff if one bite is fatal within a few hours. the virus should burn itself out fairly quickly. sure it'll suck for the first city (or even just a neighborhood), but unless Lo Pan screws things up with his Ancient Chinese Ancientness it shouldn't spread.
>>
File: Stupid Sexist bullet.png (577KB, 1128x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Stupid Sexist bullet.png
577KB, 1128x1600px
>>30947890
>It's only fitting.
This is true.

Is the endgame plan in HoTD still to wait a couple months until the zombies rot?
Thread posts: 331
Thread images: 54

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.