[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm looking at handguns. Pretty much every firearms blog

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 10

File: glock_19_mos-1.png (1MB, 1000x598px) Image search: [Google]
glock_19_mos-1.png
1MB, 1000x598px
I'm looking at handguns. Pretty much every firearms blog I've read says "glocks are the end all be all of defense pistols, if you are going to have just one pistol. Get a glock" Here's the thing, I just don't like them. I've put 150 rounds through a Glock 17 at a range and about 300 rounds through my friends Glock 19. They are just super uncomfortable to me. Most guns I've fired have some features that make it easy to grip with the human hand, but the Glock seems like you need to configure your hand to fit the design, not the other way around. Sure by the end of practicing with my friends Glock I could hit things better, I understood how the trigger pull worked, and was more accurate with it, but I was much more accurate with the 1911 and a bit more accurate with the Beretta 92 right when I picked them up. I couldn't imagine trusting my life with something I don't feel comfortable with in the first place. Is the answer just to rent them more and "git gud" or would I be fine with a Beretta. I'm talking about mostly home defense here, I don't have a CCW yet.
>>
>>30914416
hk usp or usp compact

the original "glock" before it was watered down and sold cheaply

they are expensive but really nice and you can get your caliber of choice
>>
>>30914416
Glocks are meh in my opinion. They're not an end-goal gun, they just are for some people. Beretta has a nice line-up, so does HK.
>>
I've fired a lot of guns, and I own more than I count. I carry a glock 26, and count on a glock 19 for home defense. It's not suppose to be comfortable, it's suppose to work. If you really want something that feels comfortable get a Walther, but it'll probably jam on your silly ass.
>>
>>30914416
theyre considered the end all be all becuase theyre
>relatively cheap, considering the whole package
>everybody has them. LEOs, gun stores in even the most anti gun places, most people (even the ones like you who dont really like them) have at least one for practical purposes
>very light, has interchangeable parts, simle to use
now, this isnt really a special snowflake thing anymore what with so many other polymer pistols being the norm now, but glock did it first and has such a foothold in the market its still considered number 1 in this aspect
>known reliability
>not that pretty (opinion), but since its usually a carry gun you dont have to worry about it
>all pf the are the same, you learn on one youre good for all

really it is the jack of all trades, master of none. Its just good enough at everything to be the common mans gun for everyone. Kinds of like a revolver was in 20th century.
Its almost like a 1911, even if you dont love it you should still respect its place in history and what it did. Theres nothing wrong if you dont like them, shop around and get something else. theres also no rule you need just ONE ccw
>>
>>30914416
Glocks are the Toyota Corolla of guns. An affordable, reliable, efficient import that does its job and not much else. Glocks are not pistols for gun guys. People who only like Glocks or only look at guns as tools are not gun guys just like people who only like compact, fuel-efficient, 4-door sedans aren't car guys.

Forcing yourself to deal with something you don't like because it "gets the job done" is only for when you don't have a choice and life is too short for that bullshit.
>>
Sig sauer famalam
>>
File: 20160802_175522.jpg (3MB, 4032x2268px) Image search: [Google]
20160802_175522.jpg
3MB, 4032x2268px
>>30914499
This
My 226 and my 250 fit my hand like a fucking dream and I haven't had a single misfire from either one
Granted I've only put about 300 rounds through my legion since I got it last Monday but I have put +2500 rounds through my 250
I'd say that could be called reliability
>>
>>30914434

B8 but I'm replying anyway. Glock (striker-fired) predates the USP (hammer-fired)
>>
>>30914416
Glocks are considered "end-all" because they are everywhere, reliable as the sun, and have an aftermarket that is unmatched by anything else. That said, they're not for everyone. Similar pistols include the Smith and Wesson M&P and the Springfield XD(m). I also suggest trying the Cz 75.

Don't let anyone force you into one unless you're working for a police department or something, there are so many choices on the market that you'd have to be a freak of nature to be left unsatisfied.
>>
>>30914622
what was the point of putting striker and hammer fired in your statement?
>>
M&P is the comfiest pistol I've ever held, but the trigger is garbo. Add the PPQ to your list of things to try, OP.
>>
>>30914649

The fag I was replying to called the USP "the original glock", putting in striker/hammer was to show that he's wrong twice - The Glock predates the USP and they're not mechanically similar as semi auto pistols go.
>>
glock trigger reset is gold and there is no better striker fired pistol on the market today.

grip is shit though, i guess that's where the whole "no frills" idea is coming from.

glocks are good for self defence and competition because they give you the same trigger pull each time with a god-tier tactile reset. with a da/sa you lose that first shot accuracy and often get some bullshit safety as well (92fs)

if yure just plinking at the range get whatever you want
>>
>>30914697
>there is no better striker fired pistol on the market today.

Says who?
>>
>>30914667
you went about it in a full retard way buddy
>>
>>30914697
What is p320
>>
>>30914707

>damage control
>>
>>30914416
There are many, many people who are not fans of the Glock. Everyone I know who does or has worked for the NYPD went with the Sig over the Glock, for example.

If you like the Berreta best, and you're the most comfortable and competent with it, then go ahead and carry it.
>>
>>30914499
>>30914579
What these guys said.
If you want a Glock-type pistol that's slightly better than a Glock in every way, the Sig P320 has your back and costs the same.
>>
>>30914416
>M&P
>>
File: Glock Grip.jpg (147KB, 1234x800px) Image search: [Google]
Glock Grip.jpg
147KB, 1234x800px
>>30914416
If you're like me, they're all uncomfortable.

Adjust your grip until you get it right, it's what I learned to do.

You'll probably realize eventually the modern grip techniques they teach don't work for your hands, and the gun slides out of the grip into a shitty grip. You don't want that, you need consistency. Fix your grip so you don't have to re-adjust grip after a few rounds.

Also try a sub-compact pocket pistol.
>>
>>30914416
Sounds like you should get a beretta OP.

I own a glock because it fits my hand well and like the look. Buy what you're going to be comfy with and shoot well over everything else.
>>
>>30914416
People recommend others to "get a Glock" because it has traditionally been a good balance of quality and simplicity against value.

That has started to change, with prices of other manufacturers' handguns coming down recently, and Glock quality taking a nose dive. For example, you can now get a Walther PPQ for $500-520 online, which is the same price as a Glock and it's a nicer gun, doing everything Glocks do, but better. You also have the newer Sig P320 selling in the $500 range, and the HK VP9 being offered on sale at Palmetto for as low as $520 pretty regularly. All these other guns have better triggers, better ergonomics and more positive spent case ejection than Glocks.
>>
>>30915367
>walther
>better than glock

How? All I ever hear about Walther is to never buy their polymer handguns and how often they malfunction. The SIG I can agree with and the VP9 has shown issues with reliability but the Walther? Nah.
>>
>>30915039
This. I shot a glock 19 at the range and did ok with it but it felt like shit. Then i held a p320 and it was like it was made for my hand.
>>
>>30915434

Who are you talking to? I've heard nothing but praise for the PPQ. Even autismos like nutn say they're great.
>>
>>30915367
I kind of like the Glock trigger personally.
>>
File: imag0207.jpg (29KB, 800x452px) Image search: [Google]
imag0207.jpg
29KB, 800x452px
>>30914416
Canik tp9-sa. For 300$ you get an insanely reliable and well built pistol. The guns are manufactured and certified to iso-9000 standards. The ergonomics are more close to a Walther p series. You can order it with no autistic external safeties and it has a very light trigger with a crazy short reset. I loaned mine to a freind that works in a gun shop all the staff have been trying to break it. It gets at least 300rounds through it a day and after roughly 10,000 rounds it's still going strong. Oh and it's never once been cleaned. Don't like glockenspiel buy a canik. For only 300$ you really can't go wrong.
>pic related
Not mine tho mines black.
>>
>>30914416
The gun you shoot the best is the gun that's most comfortable is the gun you protect yourself most effectively with.

If you did best with a 1911 and you like it, get a 1911.

Go to a range that does rentals and try a bunch of different pistols and calibers out. There's so much to choose from out there, something is bound to fit you well.
>>
Glocks are the vanilla ice cream of defensive handguns. A bit boring and plain but a reliable flavor. Nothing outstanding.
>>
>>30914416
I recommend Glocks as first guns, or as only guns if the person isn't likely to shoot recreationally. If you don't like them there are plenty of other options. I suffer from something similar in that I don't like AR-15s; I hate the T-handle for charging and I don't like the twang the buffer makes. I don't for a second pretend that they're inferior guns, though, and as long as you approach buying a pistol knowing that Glocks aren't garbage, just unappealing, you'll do fine.
>>
>>30915434
>All I ever hear about Walther is to never buy their polymer handguns and how often they malfunction. The SIG I can agree with and the VP9 has shown issues with reliability but the Walther? Nah.
You're an idiot. Neither Walther centerfire handguns nor the HK VP9 have any issues with reliability. You probably think that the P22 is somehow representative of how much you could expect a P99 or PPQ to malfunction.
>>
>>30915993
>nor the HK VP9 have any issues with reliability.
WATER
A
T
E
R
>>
>>30916146
Glocks fail when submerged in silty water too, but only the VP9 is held to this double-standard.

No, torture tests do not constitute "reliability" tests.

Faggot.
>>
>>30914579

only 2500?

when i was practicing harder (aka when i had time and work wasn't crazy), i was putting that much through my pistols in a summer.
>>
>>30916555
I'm a student and got shit to pay senpai
Also I got into buying funs about a year and a half ago
I'm happy for you though and hopefully once I get my degree and a job I'll be up there
>>
>>30914416

GO WITH WHAT'S COMFORTABLE. I'm a certified firearms instructor. If you shot best with a 1911, get a 1911. If you don't feel natural with the handgun you're shooting, you'll likely never be able to beat away that feeling via practice. Everyone is different. Not only is the idea of an "end-all-be-all" ridiculous in general, but it does not apply to handguns, or any gun for that matter. Each piece has pros and cons. It's up to you to decide what feels best and what works best.
>>
Glocks are not the right choice for everyone. I liked the 42/43, but that was it. Most companies released polymer striker pistols as direct competition to the Glock and most of them have exceeded Glocks in one or more categories. They have Porsche syndrome now. "It's Perfection so we can never try anything new, let's keep making the same gun but charge more every generation."
>>
Welcome to the handgun game.

Decide on caliber
Do research on which companies are outright shit and which produce solid guns.
Decide what role you want this gun to fill, HD/CC/range toy/etc
Narrow down and have a list of guns you're interested in.

Go to range and rent these guns or go to store and hold and and fingerfuck the ones you're interested in.

Buy gun that feels good to you in hand and when shooting.

Fuck whatever /k/ says. Its your first handgun, it'll probably not be your last.
>>
They're the lowest common denominator when it comes to handguns. Cops use them because they're low bid. They get them for around $300, you don't. I wouldn't spend $550 on one when you can get an FNS for $400, and it has all the upgrades people have to spend a couple hundred to put on their glocks. They need to upgrade the design but fanbois will keep buying it because it's a gangsta gun so glock keep making money without being continuously inventive. The guy who came up with the design, which mind you was a cost cutting design, is dead and the current owners of the company just keep cashing in on the same 50 year old design.
>>
>>30914491
That is maybe the most sensible thing I've read on /k/.
>>
>>30916657
PREACH
>>
>>30914491
Except Toyota doesn't double the price of corollas for everyone that's not a cop. My local department drives fucking Chevy Caprices, not because they're the best but because they're cheap. That doesn't mean I'd buy a Caprice for the price of a mustang. What glock does should be considered downright insulting, yet you goys keep buying them and encouraging it.

In fact they probably make up the difference for how cheap they sell them to cops from their civilian customers own lack of market knowledge. As in gun costs 400 to make, sell to cops at a loss of 300 and civilians at a gain of 500.
>>
>A Glock costs $400 to manufacture
nah. But police departments do get fleet deals and they get cruiser editions of the cars they choose.
>>
>>30914622
Might be b8 but I believe he is trying to say it had all the glock hype before the glock became a cheap enough alternative to consider. Seems like you're just digging for ways to prove someone wrong instead of looking at context given the discussion at hand. The usp has always been considered a badass handgun. Hell my ccw is a usp compact. I like the glocks but would never give up my hk for one.
>>
>>30914445
That's probably the dumbest advice I've ever read regarding firearms. You're basically saying that you like glock because you had to "man up" to handle it. Are you familiar with ergonomics? Probably not or you wouldn't have said that stupid shit you just said. As for walther I had a P99QA that was more comfortable then the glock and just as reliable. Go shoot and quit relying on what the internet tells you.
>>
>>30914416
Try the Beretta px4 9mm. It feels like beating off but louder.
>in b4 Dragon dildos.
>>
>>30915434
Try going out and shooting the guns yourself instead of relying on hearsay. I had a fantastic time with the P99QA. It was a very comfortable and very reliable handgun. I put around 1000 rounds through it after getting it used. The guy who had it before me put 900 rounds through it. Neither of us ever had an issue with it.
>>
>>30916862
A Chevy Malibu still sucks. Any goddamn Chevy sucks especially in terms of reliability.
>>
>>30916815
they sell glocks to cops for $100 and to regular customers for $900? wow
>>
>>30915619
>no safety
>light trigger
Seems like a winning combination to me
>>
>>30914445
What a fag you are
>>
>>30917475
It does have the trigger tongue which acts as a drop safety. If you're not going to shoot, your finger isn't going to be on the trigger so the weight doesn't matter.

Just pay attention when you reholster and you're fine.
>>
>>30917287
I wasn't continuing the allegory, they just get good fleet deals. It's mostly just springs and engine tuning for performance but they get bullet resistant door panels too. I'm guessing the manufacturer also installs computers, cages, handcuff benches, and one-way locks. It all gets ripped out when they go to auction. Glock seems to have lost a lot of traction with Law Enforcement in my state because all the departments ditched them for Sigs and S&Ws a few years ago.
>>
>>30916986

>I like the glocks but would never give up my hk for one.

i did. in my quest for a comfortable handgun ive pretty much owned everything and i sold them all and im back to square one.

>1911
>m&p9
>glock 19
>sig sp2022
>sig p229 sas
>hk uspc
>glock 19

aesthetically i prefer the looks of the sig. but i tried to like shooting it, and i couldnt. i tried to like the hk and i couldnt like it either. the glock fits my hand more comfortably and i like the trigger. plus the nostalgia of the glock 7 porcelain yadda yadda line from die hard always made me like them from when i was a kid.

im really kind of embarrassed that my taste in pistols is so basic bitch. i feel like trading off sigs and an hk for a glock is like trading down from a 10/10 to the 6/10 girl next door.
>>
>>30919250

nothing wrong with the 6/10 girl if she's loving and wife material

I've tried various pistols and I've gone back to my glock 26 for CCW and having a glock 17 + weapon light for home defense. I'm just faster and more accurate with glocks despite liking other gun's triggers better. The only gun that comes close to beating the glocks is my Walther PPQ but I feel it is a little too tall and chunky for concealment and I gotta retrain my grip a bit as I don't get lock back all the time after firing the last round.
>>
>>30914491
>Glocks are not pistols for gun guys.

This is ridiculously false, I know a ton of competition shooters that have Glock 34 based race guns. They are easily the most popular pistol in 3-gun.
>>
Holy batshit batman.

A glock thread that isn't full of glock bootlickers vs anythingbutglocks....

A lot of good info for once, I agree with the majority.

OP.
Decide caliber (like anon said)
But ALSO decide on barrel length- sub compacts behave entirely different than full size models- both recoil/accuracy and ballistics.
If its something for the range, go with a fullsize. If its for conceal carry, go sub compact.
As other anon said, find one that's comfortable in YOUR hands.
Hell, if the fucking Taurus feels the best, buy it ( just research first and make sure its a reliable model, they had serious problems with cracked slides and broken magazine retaining pins- not advocating buying a Taurus, just saying maybe its an option FOR YOU).
>>
>>30919522
I mean, NASCAR stock cars are nominally based on Chevy Impalas. Is a Glock that's had everything associated with Glocks (bad ergos, sights, trigger, etc.) really still a Glock?
>>
>>30919619
Meant to say "...everything associated with Glocks CHANGED..."
>>
>>30919658
"What is production class?"

Thing is, I notice more Glocks in production than just about any other handgun.

I mean sure, a glock isn't a be all end all for everything, and nobody is really advocating it. But the reality is the amount of people using it wouldn't be if they liked other options better and shot them better.

If you don't like a glock, that's cool, there's always something out there that's just right for you and with enough hunting you'll find it.
>>
>>30914416

>muh trust my life meme

The chances of you firing a single shot in self defense are almost nil unless you live in nignog town in which case save money, move , and buy whatever the fuck you want.
>>
>>30914416
M&P post trigger upgrades are pretty good and run about $100 less than Glawks. I personally prefer their appearance as well.
>>
File: 20160808_222318.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20160808_222318.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
Gonna tell you straight senpai
>>
File: 20160808_222337.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20160808_222337.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
Just git gud
>>
>>30915619

Don't fund turkish cockroaches. They're spewing ridiculous vitriol against the USA right now for no good reason.
>>
>>30919250
I can respect that though. At the end of the day it's about what works for you. For me the HK is better because it's comfortable to shoot and I trust the hammer more then a striker. That said that's my personal opinion. If I went to a glock I'd likely go for the 23 though. A buddy of mine had one and I loved it. I just didn't love it more then my hk.
>>
>>30919893
Just curious, why the 23 over the 19?
>>
>>30919921
I've never fired a 19. That and I'm a .40 Slut haha. I've been thinking about getting a 9mm to add to my shtf kit though.
>>
File: 20160808_224154-1.jpg (2MB, 1703x2935px) Image search: [Google]
20160808_224154-1.jpg
2MB, 1703x2935px
Figured I would share my Slut. Here she is dressed up.
>>
File: 20160808_224208-1.jpg (2MB, 2239x2233px) Image search: [Google]
20160808_224208-1.jpg
2MB, 2239x2233px
>>30920014
Here she is naked.
>>
>>30915039

I just bought a P320 today. It's fucking awesome.
>>
>>30914445
You're retarded. Also my glock fits my hand fine. I'm lucky to have large but not too large hands so I'm able to handle most guns without any issues. If your gun is not ergonomic you are not going to easily shoot well with it.
>>
Question:

Do you buy guns on credit? Do most guns take credit cards, I have always ordered my guns online with credit cards, but I've never really asked the question before.
>>
How come the handgun guide on the sticky doesnt include glocks?
>>
>>30914416
Don't like the Ergos?
Try a CZ based handgun of some kind.
>>30914434
Actually it was the other way around.

The USP of an expensive hammer fired Glock, though apparently the reason Glocks aren't $200 is because the marketing dept. at Glock told old Gaston that his pistol wouldn't be taken seriously if it was actually cheap.
>>30914440
Agreed.

Try beretta and HK OP.

Still, don't buy an HK if you like eating...SIG too.
>>
>>30914721

The p250's older brother.
>>
>>30914579

I got a p250 compact .45 a few weeks ago and you're absolutely right, it just feels like it's part of you.
>>
>>30920072

yes. i dont know of ANY stores that dont take credit, minus some nigger chicken shacks around me that are cash only.
>>
>>30920492
Alright, thanks. I wasn't sure, most people on /k/ don't talk about how exactly they pay for guns, I figured although there are plenty of people who buy guns cash there are probably more that use credit for whatever reason.
>>
>>30920692

i usually pay for them on credit and pay it off over a few months, instead of just saving up for it. it stings less when i do things on credit than when i hand over a wad of cash.
>>
>>30914491
That's retarded. Hickok45 isn't a gun guy? Travis Haley isn't either? People choose Glocks because they perform great out of the box and are stupid-easy to shoot well.
>>
>>30919963
Not the guy you're replying to, but try a 19. 23s have a reputation for being snappy. If you don't find the 23 uncomfortable to shoot, a 19 is going to feel like sex.
>>
The nice thing about Glocks is the parts are widely available, and you can customize them to your liking. But, if you don't like them, then don't get one!

I personally have a few different Springfields I like. I guess as far as price and reliability, I would put them on par with a Glock, they're just not as popular. I have a XDs 45 and an XDm sub compact 9mm. I enjoy shooting them. With that being said, I have a few Glocks I also enjoy shooting.

Like the other people said.. Look at the VP9 or the USP variants. As long as you find something you're comfortable with, and it's not a shit tier manufacturer, you should be ok.
>>
>>30914416
Try shooting an XD and see how you feel about it. Just try a bunch of shit. Go with what your heart and hand desire.
Thread posts: 86
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.