[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can /k/ help settle a dispute? I'm not very much in the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5

File: _52330082_007760852.jpg (23KB, 304x560px) Image search: [Google]
_52330082_007760852.jpg
23KB, 304x560px
Can /k/ help settle a dispute?

I'm not very much in the know when it comes to branches of the military, never learnt much about them. A friend of mine said that any Olympic level athlete could pass SAS/SBS selection easily and that the walking aspect of the training would be the easiest part for them.

How true do you think that is?
>>
>>30797469
Retarded.
The SAS is probably the most elite force in the entire world.
>>
>>30797469
Maybe not any sport, since the physical st dares are different for every sport.
But for the most part, they would do okay with the physical aspect of selection. Whether or not they could pass the mental aspect is the biggest question, and that's down to the individual.
>>
Depends on the sport.
Also, most SF selection is about 10% physical and 90% having your mind fucked.

Lets see olympic athletes preform on one MRE a day(if that) and 30 minutes of sleep for a few weeks straight. Athletes are used to being spoiled and getting a sauna and massage after their workout.
>>
>>30797484
Wouldn't the type of sport they do also influence it greatly?
I couldn't see a 1500m sprinter being able to carry 40kg on their back on 15-50 mile treks along the beacons for two weeks straight. It just seems too remote of a sport to carry over into the selection process.
>>
>>30797469
The physical is easy, any moderately fit person can do it physical wise.

Its getting mind fucked that ruins most people, fuck all food, fuck all sleep and the mind games they play on you.
>>
>>30797496
Yeah, that's what I was trying to say before autocorrect fucked me over.
>>
>>30797469
Depends. An Olympic track athlete would easily be fit enough, but the fitness aspect is secondary to how well you cope with sleep deprivation, pain, hunger and extreme conditions.
>>
Selection is the easy part.
Training after selection is the hard part.
There's a reason they say the beret is harder to keep than to earn.
>>
>>30797469
Fitness is only a small part of the qualification, in so much as you're fit enough to do certain activities.
Its when you can continue to function though on next to nothing, no hope and hopelessly overcome with obstacles you manage to drag your sorry arse through anyway- that's the difference.

Olympic athletes will piss and whine if they don't have a flushing toilet, see how well your marathon runner is after sleeping on rocks for 6 days at 5000ft and carrying 50kg of shit.
>>
>>30797469
The answer to this would vary depending on the sport of the athlete on question.
However, most Olympic level athletes would definitely be able to pass SAS selection in any event that tests individual physical and mental toughness.

Olympians are the best, and are chosen to represent their country because they are the highest level.

And virtually all world level athletes train in a huge variety and neglect few or no areas physically, in terms of strength/endurance training and aerobic / anaerobic endurance AKA cardio/sprint training, EVERY olympic level athlete would be at a very high level.

>>30797473
Your response is not a response to the question but rather an opinion in regarding the quality of SAS operators but should be taken under consideration.

TLDR; Any olympic level athlete is strong enough to handle a long distance stomp with decent weight, while it may be a challenge for some, they would all be capable.
>>
>How true do you think that is?
Well, I dare say SAS/SBS selection involves a lot more than a simple fitness test.

>I win! :3
>>
File: 1456021745579.jpg (73KB, 500x308px) Image search: [Google]
1456021745579.jpg
73KB, 500x308px
Pucker your anus sissy western SF pussies.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=-eFU_r_H_gg
>>
>>30797510
>when you can continue on next to nothing

Olympians push hard for a living.

You could argue they don't truly test their willpower because they are always well fed and have structured recovery to their training, but if they didn't they wouldn't be world level, and it takes being able to push HARDER than ANYONE else to make it to the world stage of the Olympics.

they are all exceptionally mentally tough if nothing else.
>>
>>30797515
>Any olympic level athlete is strong enough to handle a long distance stomp with decent weight
Bullshit.
Gymnasts and sprinters come immediately to mind. As do Olympic level shooters and archers.
>>
>>30797527
You've never met a high level gymnast
>>
Australian SASR and Commando had a direct recruiting scheme (SFDRS) that actively targeted ex-Institute of Sport Olympic trainees.
Those that got through were overwhelmingly finishing up in 2Cdo as they could do the physicality well enough, but not the additional mental aspect of full SASR.
>>
>>30797527
Gymnasts and a lot of sprinters are strong as fuck
>>
>>30797496

1500m is just long enough to not be a sprint.

>>30797527

a better example would be an unlimited weight class weightlifter. but Olympic shooters tend to have thickly-built lower bodies and are in pretty good cardio shape in order to lower resting heart rate.

so yeah, you don't know jack shit, fuckface and you should shut the fuck up when the adults are talking.
>>
>>30797469
It really depends on the person, just as it does for regular joes. Being a well-trained athlete generally gives you the physical parts (such as knee strength, condition, certain muscle strength) but that is really not relevant as what is most important is the thickness of your frontal lobe.

The walking aspect would most likely be the most difficult aspect.
>>
File: Jordan-Jovchev.jpg (70KB, 610x343px) Image search: [Google]
Jordan-Jovchev.jpg
70KB, 610x343px
>>30797527
>gymnasts and sprinters immediately come to mind

Even olympic skill sports like shooting, coaches would have their athletes undertake regular structured strength and cardio training.

But Gymnasts and sprinters?
Really?
>>
>>30797469
Watch the search for warriors. Its a look into the selection course for the SASR. The physical component is a big part but the mental tests are just as brutal. The fuck fuck games start on day one and mind you all of the candidates have already been in service for 2-4 years.
>>
>>30797515
I don't know man. Phelps was fucking around at his peak during Beijing and our blokes were up to some sillyness prior to races.
>>
>>30797558
SASR has no direct entry scheme.
>>
>>30797571
Olympic shooters? Pssh! Biathletes are where it's at, yo.
>>
>>30797648
Any 2Cdo can attempt Selection afterwards.
Most athletic entrants through SFDRS didn't make Cdo and ended up in regular infantry or other Corps, let alone Selection.
>>
>>30797622
>>30797736
Yeah I think biathalon, marathon, or triathalon people would probably do the best. They need to have that mindset that lets them settle into a long grind. When they have a 100lb ruck, 50lb jerry can and get told to just start walking in a direction it takes that special mindset to get over the fact you don't know where the finish line is.
>>
I don't doubt that they could pass it. But the real question is: do they want to pass it? Probably not.

People often forget the stress, fatigue, hunger, and sleep deprivation of their selection. It's not just physical tests. Most people don't want to put up with the stresses even though they can perform very well. Just because you're an amazing athlete doesn't mean you'll want to endure the weeks of sleep deprivation, fatigue, and hunger. Olympic athletes will probably quit at the same rate as regular soldiers.
>>
>>30797526
Soldiers and athletes are totally different. You can't say that just because someone excels in sports, they'll also excel in soldiering; and vice versa.
>>
File: image.png (841KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
841KB, 1024x768px
>>30797469

Not true at all.

There's a YouTube video of a professional boxer attempting P Company, the final test week for the parachute regiment, he failed miserably, and hats just for the airborne infantry let alone SF.

An athlete can run fast, or for long distances, but it won't help them with a place like Brecon Beacons, where the SAS/SBS/SRR conduct much of their "walking" (it's called TAB - Tactical Advance into Battle), there they will have to contend with high winds, mountainous terrain, bogs, marshlands, their own navigational skills, a strict time limit, and a 60kg rucksack, plus webbing and a weapon.

Many athletes have tried doing SAS selection inspired challenges, and have failed, the problem is that an athlete is very elite at one individual thing, such as sprinting, or climbing, or distance running, the military requires what they call a full combat chassis,mother need the complete package.

I hope this answers your question.
>>
>>30797933
Can you link that video please.
>>
>>30797933
>60kg

I am 210 pounds and somewhere around 6'2-3. I dread thinking about hogging that shit for 20 minutes in a straight line in this heat, let alone actually hardcore shit.

Can't help but wonder to what degree do they all fuck their ankles and knees and spine just in the selection alone.
>>
>>30797942
Think hes talking about this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTPSnhoc7nY
>>
>>30797965

No it's a black fella doing it, set in the early 2000's judging by the kit and DPM.

>>30797952

About 80% of selection recruits for SAS are former paras, and a similar percentage for the SBS in terms of how many ca,e from the Royal Marines, both do about 30-40kg in their basic training, over 20-40 miles respectively at the end of their training, so they would work up to it gradually.

Ankles are very common injuries, you get another crack at it if you get injured, as long as it's a serious injury, if I remember, a lad snapped his leg in 2 places on P company 20 mile TAB about 4 miles from the finish, and decided to crawl/hobble his way to the end rather than give in, he did fail though because he missed the required time.

This is the mindset of people who haven't even been on deployment yet, imagine what they must be like after a couple rounds in Afghan and 3-4 years in their respective units.
>>
>>30797965

Correction: yes it's that one, didn't recognise the thumbnail and thought the bloke in it was the boxer.

Considering boxers are some of the best all round athletes, the fact he failed really gives you an idea of what sort of challenge it is.

And I'll be starting basic with the paras in 2 months, yes I am shitting bricks.
>>
>>30797965
To be fair, that boxer was in his mid 40s at that time. If he were younger, he would have probably done better.
>>
Here is a very well written article by a dude who first prepared and then went to the Delta selection.
Article is ripped from some pay-to-read subscription based website but you can easily find other parts if you navigate the pages of the thread.

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/forums/OtherGround/Surviving-Delta-Force-selection:2498464
>>
>>30798052
>There was a recommended training outline that Delta published to candidates. I contemplated the progression of the speeds, distances, and payload weights to be carried. It looked unachievable to the inexperienced mind; it proved to be unachievable to the experienced body.

Yep, that's all I need to know.
>>
Most Olympians are extremely specialized and train for one thing to shave off fractions of a second. They probably wouldn't fare too well in a realistic scenario. Of course they're athletic but they're used to very repetitive work, not the chaotic shit they'd throw at them in the armed forces.

It's like olympic fencers, they train for that sport and are extremely good at it but those skills would be almost useless in a real swordfight.
>>
File: 0-free-wifi[1].png (115KB, 1202x892px) Image search: [Google]
0-free-wifi[1].png
115KB, 1202x892px
>>30797469
If you consider that most Olympic (NFL/NBA/Premier League) athletes represent the top 5% in their field - the real statistical outliers and the far right end of the genetic bell curve then SAS selection would seem achievable. Each of them represent a perfect storm of genetics, natural talent, developed skill, access to opportunity, nutrition, coaching, stable home life, mindset and finally luck.

Now SAS selection itself is mainly about stress testing endurance athletes and observing how they respond as their Hierarchy of Needs is kicked away from under them. Carry a heavy weight, a really long way, in changing conditions, for a long time, while trying to stay mentally focused enough to navigate accurately and stay civil, follow orders, and when required, work effectively with others. A certain level of conditioning and training time would be necessary to give the Olympians a fair shot (learning how to Navigate at night, moving in walking boots, wearing a pack etc), but the transferable skills of managing their mind game, having to win/pursuit of excellence and pre-existing elite level physical endurance would leave them in good stead.

However, as others have mentioned, mental hardiness and functioning under sub-optimal conditions would be a large factor against them. Functioning on 600 cals a day for 2-3 days while still trying to achieve goals, managing your mood with extreme sleep deprivation. Acceptance of the unknown, like when an exercise will finish and adapting to constantly changing conditions could be a stumbling block.

TLDR: Their looking for endurance athletes with extreme mental hardiness, that wont run away and would be OK with shooting other humans. Olympians have a stronger chance than most of meeting that requirement.
>>
>>30797490
This.
Whilst you need to be very fit, it's much more about mind and will power. People drop out not because they can't physically do it but because they don't want it enough and arnt truly willing to push themselves. As dumb as it sounds, if you really truly wanted to be a operative in any special force and work for it enough, you can but it's all about your mindset and desire to be one.
>>
>>30802506
Cont.
So yes an Olympic athlete could pass on paper but they would struggle if they didn't truly want it. Similarly if you arnt an Olympic athlete, whilst you may be at a physical disadvantage to that of someone who is, you could pass selection and they could not if you have the right mindset and will power.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.