[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

does /k/ have any bad gun purchase stories? >just bought

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 6

File: 15z_CZP01_R_91199_01199.png (759KB, 1920x1433px) Image search: [Google]
15z_CZP01_R_91199_01199.png
759KB, 1920x1433px
does /k/ have any bad gun purchase stories?

>just bought my first handgun today but the experience was less than satisfying.
>been eyeing pic related for a while now but I'm in commiefornia and these have been hard to find.
>To my amazement I found this one store whose website said they had it in stock at a decent price. I made a 45 min drive there today to see if they had it (tried calling them before hand several times with no response).
>The place turns out to be some hole in the wall that is extremely small.
>Fortunately they have the gun in stock, in fact it's the last one they have, which is one display.
>But its like $60 more than the price on their website and when I ask about it, they said the prices are outdated and they basically abandoned the website a while ago
>Great.. so I ask if they can do anything about the price and they're willing to knock it down $25.
>hesitantly agree to get it since I'd much rather have one that's been undefiled by previous fingerfuckers, but with it being so hard to find I don't think I can pass it up. Worker assures me it's one of the new ones that came in just a few weeks ago.
>Worker starts processing the paperwork and then says the background check is $35. I don't know if this is the norm, but when I've bought lowers from another gun store, it was $25 for the DROS.
>Worker gives some spiel about how other gun stores charge $60+ for fees, which I believe are more likely FFL transfer fees. But the paperwork's already started so I begrudgingly accept this up charge.
>Find out to pay with card, there's another 3% fee
>mfw this shit is getting out of hand
>end up putting $200 on a card and then write a check for the remaining. Happened to have a checkbook in my car and just barely enough in that account to pay for the balance.

in the end I paid about $60 more than I expected for a gun that's been on display and left the store feeling as dirty as the place looked. how badly did I fuck up /k/?

>inb4 slavshit
>>
>>30795458
What was the total?
>>
>>30795458
>Be 18
>Want a "man's rifle"
>Impatient and stupid
>Impulse buy a SA M1A Scout Squad for $1,800 at a gun show
The fact that I paid over MSRP stung on top of learning first hand that M1As are just generally mediocre guns.
I sold it for $1,400 about a year and a half later.
>>
>>30795636
I did the same thing except I listened to my friends advice and got a colt and resold it a couple months later (after I shot 600 rounds through it) for a $50 profit
:)
>>
>>30795589
$725 after taxes and background check

>>30795636
I could have been more patient myself
>>
>>30795458
>>But its like $60 more than the price on their website and when I ask about it, they said the prices are outdated and they basically abandoned the website a while ago
>>Great.. so I ask if they can do anything about the price and they're willing to knock it down $25.
That's pretty shady, but when you live in the most corrupt state in the Union, then I guess it's a given that corruption exists at every level of the bureaucracy.
>+$35 for background check
I'm not sure what the standard fee is in California, but in many states, it's normal for gun stores to charge an extra bgc fee, usually in the $7-15 range.
>3% for credit card
Lame and unfortunately widespread on Gunbroker. I've never encountered this in a brick and mortar shop, though.

>>30795658
>$725 after taxes and background check
Honestly, that's not too terrible for brick and mortar. It's not good, either, but sales tax is always lethal. I have no idea why anybody shops for guns in brick and mortar stores anymore.
>>
>>30795658
Love my p01, but that is pricey.

Try to avoid impulse buying.

It's only a couple hundred and you learned a lesson.

Enjoy it. Maybe give the trigger some love with cgw?
>>
>>30795677
Other gun stores I've been to charge no more than $25. And apparently they're required to collect sales tax on FFL transfers as well plus transfer fees, so it would have been almost a wash if I bought it online. Only reason I didn't is because no online shops seem to even have the CA legal one with 10-rd mags.

>>30795699
Yeah, my LGS has it for $590 before taxes and fees, but like most other places I checked, they've been OOS for a while. I hate impulse buying too; I normally do a lot of research before I go into a store, but the scarce availability got the better of me.
>>
>>30795458
I'm also commifornian and paid $470 for a Mosin a month ago at OC Firearms. Most of you are already saying this was a bad purchase but I don't think so. Sure I overpaid but it was worth it to me because:
>It's the first gun I ever purchased
>Love WWII weapons
>I wanted it ASAP and I have a 10 day waiting period
>Every other store within a reasonable distance didn't have any Mosins
>1934 Izhevsk Hex, Finnish capture
>The stock is near perfect, very pretty wood, great bore, matching bolt and receiver

Yesterday I filled out paperwork for a new Shield 9 for $428 at OC Guns. It was my 3rd time in there and all of those guys deserve their 5 star Yelp rating.
>>
>>30795699
I've thought about giving it the CGW treatment and upgrading sights and trigger. I see they also sell a hammer that's for manual safety, but I wonder if it required major gunsmithing to install.
>>
>>30795778
Glad to see any OCbro here. I'll have to check out OC guns, I live pretty close there
>>
>>30795458
>how badly did I fuck up /k/?
Buying guns without proper paper.
It's like you just want it to take forever giving people more paper work to do and cost more.
>>
>>30795847
They are great. Kind of small but $25 for DROS and $25 for any transfer. On-site gunsmith and DOJ certified instructors.

They are happy to help with anything you need and very polite to everyone when they get swamped with customers
>>
>>30795458
Your in California. Its one of the most expensive places to live in the world.

This doesn't surprise me at all.
>>
>>30795778
>paid $470 for a Mosin a month
Holy shit. Those are RC-K98//SMLE prices in Texas.
>>
>>30795894
fuck, that's amazing. wish I had known about them a few weeks sooner. The only other FFL I know of in the area that has those kind of fees is redfield armory... and the owner is out of town until end of next month while my CMP Garand sits at his house waiting to be picked up.
>>
>>30795458
>Fell for the Mauser is better than the Mosin meme.
I hate how the fucking Mauser feels
>>
>>30795972
Wat.

The mauser is a very accurate rifle with a smooth action that is very intuitive and simple to use.

A mosin is a shootable piece of shit. There isn't even a finish on the bolt at all. There isn't a safety on the rifle either unless you want to nigger rig and yank the bolt back from being used. It isn't accurate at all, they weren't designed to be. Its also pretty gritty and once the rifle gets warm you have to beat the shit out of the bolt to get it running again.

0/10 bait. I'm only replying due to procrastinating at work.
>>
>>30795913
I was lucky I even found a Mosin in this good of quality, let alone being hex'd. Don't regret it at all. Everyone here buys neutered tacticool shit anyway because
>MUH NAVY SEALS
>MUH TOPGUN
>MUH CAMP PENDLETON
>MUH BATTLESHIPS

>>30795955
That sucks man. I hate waiting for shit I've invested so much time and money into. Haven't been to north county FFLs but you might want to check out some south county guys. I would call ahead before going to some though, since they can be pretty small.
>>
>>30795658
my SP-01 was $670 after taxes, transfer free, and back ground check.
it's a bit high but not horrible
>>
File: 1465501709643.jpg (133KB, 752x638px) Image search: [Google]
1465501709643.jpg
133KB, 752x638px
>>30795775
>CA Legal
DO NOT COMPLY
SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED
>>
>>30795778
two months ago, I got my first Mosin. 340 all told. 1927 Tula hex. The wood is dinged up a bit but not bad, has a pretty dark reddish wood. I am in love. bore seem pretty damn fresh too, so that is nice. got it from Classic Firearms
>>
>>30796088
somebody is butt blasted.
>>
>>30795458
Lmao, you got fucked up the ass by that store. I'm in Cali too, and my LGS is a friendly personalized service place run buy a cool dude out of his house. Only $25 ever for DROS. Only charges more for FFL transfers from Gunbroker and the like.

Find a better place. What county you in?
>>
>>30795458
how you liking the gun though op?
>>
>>30796680
not him but where are you
I'm in SF bay area so everything is fucked
some of the gun stores even charge you $100 for a transfer, not even joking
>>
>>30795458
I paid near $700 for my P-01 in CA as well.
After .8% tax and all the DROS fee? It'll fucking catch up. That or you pay $100 PLUS .8% tax for a FLL transfer

In other words, do what I am doing:
Save money.
Plan state exist strategy.
When november comes, vote anything Republican.
When you leave this shot hole of a state, make sure you stick you middle finger out during the whole ride out.
>>
File: 20150625_001418.jpg (4MB, 2976x2976px) Image search: [Google]
20150625_001418.jpg
4MB, 2976x2976px
>>30796883
I bought mine for 550 with 2 14 round mags and 1 10 round mag and the VZ grips in pic related. Gave the VZ grips to some anon in California.
>>
>>30796874
Jesus
I'm down here in Ventura so not really any help, sorry bud. I lucked the fuck out growing up here, one of the better places in Cali for guns between stores and shall issue CCW
>>
>>30796932
well, I am sure as fuck out of CA and a couple other anti-gun states, gun prices are much lower overall.
I want me some Lionheart LH9
>>
>>30796874
>some of the gun stores even charge you $100 for a transfer
>Bay Area
they all charge that much or close to it.
Here's their fucking excuse:

>"no no no, it's just $25 for the DROS"
>"And $75 for our fee"
FUCK.YOU.
Keep fucking over california gun owners and soon when the state government bans everything other than bolt guns, have fun with 1-2 people coming in to do a transfer in a whole year, fucking assfucks who put themselves first, in a situation where they can make MUCH more profit by being FRIENDLY to gun owners.
Would you make more profit by charging $75 fee + $25 gov. DROS fee or would you attract more people in that same area by charging $20+$25 DROS fee? Literally a $50 knock off?
That's enough for gas for a good range of the state AND people will come to you because they think you respect them better by not making them pay $50 more.
>>
>>30797014
Everything is like that in California though, not just gun shops
>>
File: 1468688103775.jpg (113KB, 858x472px) Image search: [Google]
1468688103775.jpg
113KB, 858x472px
>>30795677
My friend owns a shop and explains why the credit fee exists before people use the card. The banks actually charge a credit fee to the shops for swiping a card so the add the bank cost to the final purchase. Blame the banks for being greedy shits. His transfer fee is $25 (normal in NC) and only pistols require checks, but you have to buy a one-time permit beforehand in lieu of a waiting period. Still a lot cheaper than $35 but inconvenient because you have to pick permits up at the sheriff's office during work hours.

All of my purchases have been like this or trades from friends so I don't have any bad stories. I purchased a shotgun from JGSales last month and their customer service was non-existent. They shipped the gun in the manufacturer box (despite the box saying "don't ship in this POS") and it was completely shredded and filthy by the time I got it. Spent a good hour degreasing and cleaning whatever the fuck they did to it but still a good condition gun.
>>
>>30795658
>$725 after taxes and background check

Got damn, son. Should have ordered one off DEguns. They've got the P-01 for $540 right now.
>>
>>30795458
I bought my p01 in cali for around $625 after all was said and done about 6 months ago
>>
>>30796680
I'm in orange, but this store was la puente

>>30797769
May I ask where you got it?
>>
>>30797750
>The pain of only being able to get the unavailable 10 round magazine version because of commiefornia
>>
>go to buy 92fs
>they ring up the price for the 92 + laser guide rod which is $100 extra on top of $550
>say wtf no I just want the basic 92fs
>end up paying 550
>go home
>realize they gave me the laser anyway by mistake
I almost never use it but it's kind of a neat little bonus
>>
File: 1467265487760.png (106KB, 500x287px) Image search: [Google]
1467265487760.png
106KB, 500x287px
>have normal 10/22
>runs 100% all the time and eats Remishit Golden Bullets no problem

>do upgrades to it including a new target bull barrel
>now is super finicky about ammo, cant go through one 25 round magazine without having a failure to feed

I'm thinking of just selling the parts and getting a Marlin 795 or something.
>>
File: image.jpg (75KB, 1200x846px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
75KB, 1200x846px
>paying more than 400 for a half finished gun
Kek
>>
>>30798380
Nothing a can of Duracoat won't fix.
>>
>>30795972
I feel ya, Anon. Mosin is just so much nicer for fingerfucking. Mauser feels like a cold german bitch. Mosin feels more... lively, comfy. And I have no small hands, quite the contrary, but Mauser felt the weirdest of all traditional-stock rifles I've used to handle. Cycling it sure is fun though.
>>
>>30796088
Buttblast! Mosin's more comfy.
>>
>>30796088
>There isn't a safety on the rifle
niggawat? These dubs lie. the mosin has the most fucktardedly strong safety in existence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y9LFSEEGno
>>
>>30798364
Your fault for giving it a tight match chamber.

Get an extractor not made of stamped sheet metal by the way. Also check barrel alignment and torque values on the retention screws.
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.