[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey there /k/. Not really refinishing, but rather resealing my

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

Hey there /k/. Not really refinishing, but rather resealing my Moist Nugget. I got the most cosmo out of the stock that I could, and used a stripper to remove the shellac that had been shittily reapplied when it had been rearsenaled. Surprisingly, only the shitty shellac and cosmo got removed, and the original staining of the gun is still there.

Now, my question is, what is the most durable top coat to add to my stock? This Mosin is a horrible rearsenal, extremely rough and not rare in the slightest. Does require a 2x4 to close the bolt. Basically it's historically worthless. I want a topcoat that will make it durable and near waterproof. Whether it be true oil or deck sealer. I'm looking for a smooth, semi gloss finish. It doesn't have to look incredible, but if it looks decent and is abuse resistant for hunting, I'd apply it.

Pic related. Stock pic ofc.
>>
Sole bump before I let her slide.
>>
>>30778678
Use some linseed oil op
>>
>>30778678
Nothing and I mean nothing beats waterlox original
>>
>>30778924
Yea- no. This is for a finishing 'hand rub finish'. It has barely any water locking abilities and it does go rancid
>>
>>30778678
Just put on fresh shellac, and replace when necessary. Also fix your bolt. Probably just have crusty shit on your locking surfaces.
>>
>>30778678
Polycoat satin from minwax.
>>
>>30779139
Tung oil then.
>>
>>30779190
Tung oil a best
>>
>>30779190
>>30779205
Waterlox is mostly a tung oil
>>
I fuck hard
>>
Thanks guys. I ended up using Thompson's Clear Water Sealer and Wood conditioner based on a tip from a peculiar, but smart friend, and it actually looks pretty beautiful. I'm going to set the rough coat cure for 24 hours then apply another coat and let cure for the full 48. Sure, this may sound crazy to alot of you, using a deck sealer on rifle wood, but so far it is setting up incredibly well and is perfectly preserving the wood color. Like I said, she's a beater rifle, so I didn't quiet feel like spending a few weeks for a several stack tung oil coat. I'll try to post results once it cures, if the thread is still up. If not, stay tuned, I'll make a new thread when the stock is complete.
>>
>>30780204
There is no substitute for 100% pure, no-additive, Tung oil.
>>
>>30781238
What did you use to strip the old finish? I'm planning on stripping my nugget and giving it a tung oil finish.
>>
>>30781250
I believe it was Watco finish stripper. It's kinda of a thick, clear jelly, sold at Walmart in the paint section. Honestly, I'm not sure if it did a good or bad job. First I let the stock sweat wrapped in bags on my dash, wiping off the cosmo that leached out for about a day. Then, I applied the Watco jelly to the stock, let it sit for about 10 minutes, then used a nylon tile bristle brush to scrape the finish off. The only thing that came off was the poorly, shitily applied rearsenaled finish and the majority of shit on the surface of the wood. It did not pull any of the actual stain from the wood itself, which it advertised it would do (I do not know if that stain in the wood is a cosmo stain or actual wood stain). Then, you bathe the stock in denatured alcohol to neutralize the stripper. So, for my purposes, it worked perfect, because it removed the crap on top of the wood without removing the actual color from the wood itself. But if you want the wood cleaned down to pure wood, bleached white look, I'd use something else.

Also note this is the first time I've ever done any woodwork, ever, so I'd do your research first. This Mosin is my project gun so I can learn off of it so I don't screw up my future, high quality firearms.
>>
>>30781242
This means 2 things. You never applied 100% pure tung oil- it takes forever to harden. And secondly, you don't know a thing about waterlox. It's tung oil enhanced, easy to cure, easy to repair while providing a natural finish
>>
>>30781238
I will stay tuned and postpone my life until you provide us with the final outcome
>>
>>30781793
Thanks senpai
>>
>>30783085
I'm still here, tuned and anticipatory
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.