[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does /k/ use boat tail rounds or regular rounds with their AR-15s

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: Bullets.jpg (21KB, 420x249px) Image search: [Google]
Bullets.jpg
21KB, 420x249px
Does /k/ use boat tail rounds or regular rounds with their AR-15s (in .223 or 5.56)? Right now on PSA American Eagle 223 55GR FMJ BT is just 10 cents cheaper than the regular bullets. From what im reading the benefits of BT don't kick in until 300 yards. Are there are disadvantages of BT rounds?
>>
>>30773128

I don't believe there are any meaningful disadvantages to boat tail rounds. Besides limiting your selection of seating depths, but that really doesn't matter too much in 223.
>>
File: elmerkeith_1007A.jpg (16KB, 225x229px) Image search: [Google]
elmerkeith_1007A.jpg
16KB, 225x229px
>>30773128
Old school gun writers held that they wore out your barrel faster. No idea if that's true with modern steels.
>>
>>30773256
And this is why your retarded face is filtered, just not on my phone
>>
>>30773128
Considering you are fretting about 10 cents per box, and in turn are probably shooting a $600 PSA rifle with delta ring handguard

It literally does not matter
>>
>>30773256
I don't even see how that would work. If anything, there's less bearing surface for the metal to be rubbing on metal. Sure there might be high pressure areas between the tail of the bullet and the bore, but the whole fucking interior of the barrel is a high pressure system during firing.
>>
>>30773281
Going to be building from scratch to save money so no. The 10 cent was more of a "They're this close in price, is there a large difference" kind of deal.
>>
>>30773256
>>30773295

Forgot which book I read it in, but it had more to do with the early smokeless propellants used than anything else. The main people who had problems were the British, I think.
>>
>>30773336
I see how my post may have came of dismissive.

I wasn't trying to knock you.

All other things being equal, BT are somewhat more aerodynamic than a typical flat base fmj.

However, in the case of let say... American Eagle M193 vs.... PMC 55 grain .223 that is loaded with flat bases (pretty sure they use BT but I digress)

Powder charges, seating depth, etc. are all inconsistent enough to not be able to chalk up very good accuracy comparisons between the two to attribute differences to the bullets themselves.

Also, fwiw flat base .223 isn't particularly common... At least in my experience. Plenty of brands use a standard 55gr and just call it a full metal jacket and don't mention boat tails or otherwise... And they are boat tail bullets

TLDR just stock up on Wolf Gold for range ammo my man
>>
>>30773456
Alright thank you. Ill check that stuff out.
>>
>>30773256
>Old school gun writers
are full of shit.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.