[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So /k/ what is the best way to learn gunsmithing and is

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

File: repair568.jpg (185KB, 586x391px) Image search: [Google]
repair568.jpg
185KB, 586x391px
So /k/ what is the best way to learn gunsmithing and is it a viable career path?
>>
Just become a machinist.
>>
>>30771017
You don't.
>>
>>30771017
No, it is not a viable career path. If you want shit pay and boring work, then being a gunsmith is the perfect job for you. Get a STEM degree instead.
>>
>>30771057
I'm doing this right now!
>>
>>30771017
Yea starting wage is $150,000 per year and all the virgins want to fuck you
>>
>>30771017
gunsmiths make ~$20,000 in U.S. Shekels a year. no. don't do it.
>>
>>30771017
https://youtu.be/CVEuPmVAb8o
>>
>>30772900
Not OP but,

What if i'm literally retarded when it comes to math?

I can ace any other subject fine but math just fucks my shit up senpai.
>>
>>30772900
Don't listen to him.

The real money is in blue collar work anymore
>>
>>30771057
This. Making new shit for people to buy and hang off their ghettoblaster is where the money is.
>>
>Oh gee anon, you like guns yeah? You can disassemble my rifle? Oh geeze that's amazing man, dude, you should be a gunsmith. That's totally not an over-saturated market of armchair commandos who think their weapon collection validates an understanding of mechanical expertise.

Literally the same people who 15 years ago would have said you were lubed up and ready for some high level tech job just because you could type and installed windows 98 on their computer.
>>
>>30774391
>What if i'm literally retarded when it comes to math?
Then be prepared to do physical or menial labor for the rest of forever.
Or you could fake a prescription for Adderall and force yourself to learn math.

>>30774432
I agree with the sentiment but
>implying computer science isn't a meme degree
You're spending four+ years on something most people can learn in one or two.
A lot of the info for a lot of these positions can be learned on the internet for free through MIT opencourseware.
>>
>>30774513

I'm talking about situations where people with literally 0 knowledge or competence in a certain field assume massive ability of someone who demonstrates basic knowledge when no one else in their life has, which can have the effect of making that competent-but-unskilled person think very highly of their abilities and prospects regarding relevant jobs, until reality beats them over the head with a hammer when they realize that literally everyone your fucking age can do the same shit.

Basically just watch this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8G9QIIvSpzE
>>
>>30774546
>I agree with the sentiment
Yeah I got it the first time
>>
Former gunsmith here.

I worked in the firearms industry for 8 years. Started off as a goober-gunsmith at a prestigious gun store that just did clean and oils day in and out. From there I did minor to moderate repairs. Eventually worked my way into customizations and major overhauls.

I ended my career in firearms by working in the research and development division of a precision barrel manufacturer.

Never made much doing any of it.

"Gunsmith" is totally NOT the panty dropper I thought it would be.

If you absolutely must become a gunsmith you can go to a couple schools for it. Google Colorado School of Trades. It is just outside Denver.

After I came to the realization that gunsmithing has no viable future I quit and am now in law enforcement. I still do things on the side but just for shits and grins.
>>
If you want to do gunsmithing as a career go to a reputable school like the Pennsylvania Gunsmith School or the Colorado School of Trades. You'll also have to do research on the demand for gunsmiths in your area/around the country.
>>
>>30776783
>>30775014
>CO school of trades
Fucking what? You go to Trinidad in CO for gunsmithing.
>>
>>30776843
I'm >>30776783 and I am currently going to PGS so I'm not too familiar with the two places in Colorado
>>
File: hk332.gif (43KB, 499x475px) Image search: [Google]
hk332.gif
43KB, 499x475px
>>30775014
I hear you man. Sometimes things you love to do, can get you burned out if you choose it as a career path.

I worked in engineering dept at a plastics factory and a laser cutting facility for years, but I loved to work on computers, so I worked ass off studying and repairing stuff at night, and ended up working at a data facility, a contract IT shop, and eventually as IT manager of a big hardware company. I got paid bretty good and had nice things.

I had 2 pagers and a phone and would often be on one phone with the desk phone ringing, someone knocking at the door and one or the other pagers going off. After some hard thought, I I gave them a 2 week notice and never looked back. All the people that came to me for computer repair I turned away after that for years. Now I only tinker with my own hardware and help my family. Permanently burned me out of IT related stuff.

I enjoy shooting and repairing weapons and machining and welding and stuff and it has to stay a hobby, and I am forever cautious about turning what I enjoy doing into any sort of career. I know it works for some people but for me it just took the magic out of it.

Now I work in ag and use all of those abilities a little bit, every day. My best friend has a degree in chemistry and drives a truck. Go figure.
>>
>>30774391
You're probably not understanding things correctly

try your hardest to learn maths, start with addition, substract, multiplication, and division
>>
>>30774513
>You're spending four+ years on something most people can learn in one or two.
You probably think computer science is a programming degree lmfao
>>
>>30774513
CS isn't a meme degree if you specialize in computational complexity and other theoretical fields. Unfortunately doing that will pretty much pigeonhole you into becoming a researcher and you'll end up in academia for your whole life with little to no practical experience.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.