[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

EMT M T Post operator medical stories here. >Tfw you just

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 224
Thread images: 25

File: qDnylfH.jpg (180KB, 875x1250px) Image search: [Google]
qDnylfH.jpg
180KB, 875x1250px
EMT
M
T

Post operator medical stories here.

>Tfw you just passed your first ems final
>>
>>30765970
>>Tfw you just passed your first ems final
Hey I remember you, you were the guy whining about how much his life sucked the other day.
>>
>>30765982
At least I'm working to unfuck my life.
>>
>>30765999

Tell me about your life anon, how fucked is it?
>>
>>30765970
>sargeant

So. Fucking. Triggered.
>>
>>30765970
Prepare for nursing home transports and fat people. You're going to get a lot of both.
>>
>>30766088
Hoping to avoid the barry ferry.
>>
Someone called 911 because he ate too many spicy corn chips yesterday.

I once got called for dry mouth.
>>
Beat the FD to a vehicle fire with teenagers and couldn't put it out with a fire extinguisher so I got to listen to their screams as they burned to death.

Diabetic mother passed out from blood sugar onto her 6 month old baby and suffocated her, killing the baby. Didn't have any idea the baby was under her until she was rolled over. 4 year old sister called in cuz she didn't know why her mom wouldn't wake up.

Innumerable sexual assaults of children.

I've been shot at by redguards who called 911 to trap the EMTs and kill them #blm
>>
>>30766495
just hope they are so fat that they have to get the forklift so you don't fuck your back.

911 operator friend told me a lady called last week cause a mouse caught in a trap was still alive.
>>
>>30765970

>EMT
>basic
>sergeant

>EMS being /k/ related
>>
>>30766012
That is shit for a feels thread.
>>
>>30766657
Good luck getting a c collar on that.
>>
>>30766990
If bug out bags and innawoods shit is /k/, so is EMS.
>>
>>30766990
why shouldn't EMS be /k/ related? They literally began existence as specialized army units.
>>
>>30765970
Get out while you can, im going back to school. EMS is pure vitriol. No one is happy, most companies are out to make money and fuck you in the process. And pts are almost always idiots.
>>
>>30766506
>Not getting called for the splinter in the finger.
>>
>>30768296

Please explain
>>
>>30768263
>>30768292

because BoB and innawoods implies you're doing that with weapons, trying to survive in a SHTF scenario.

EMS isnt /k/ related.

sitting on your ass in the rig eating fast food and fucking around on your phone between dialysis transfers isnt /k/ related. even the occasional police standby isn't /k/ related.

IFAK's and PJ's are /k/ related, threads about what medical skills and gear to have in combat or SHTF is, but simply EMS as a profession? no.
>>
>>30765970
Can EMTs even carry guns?
>>
>>30768319
What? Pay is shit. Private EMS is pretty much the only gig if you dont want to(or can't) get into an FD. And 95% of call volume is bullshit. At least where i am.
>>
>>30766990
>>30768330
EMS has always been /k/ related.

Lurk moar faggot
>>
>>30768349

danks. What are you doing (planning to do) in school now?
>>
>>30768319

pay blows and you'll probably destroy your body. good stepping stone into fire tho

>>30768355

EMS has never been /k/ related which is why these threads get pruned all the time. kill yourself.
>>
>>30768296
This is temporary so I can get work as an er tech. Going to go for paramedic or criminal justice and apply for a job as a LEO.
>>
>>30768349

I am actually baffled by how little EMTs make.

PMCs supposedly used to pay ok for medics to just sit around base though.
>>
>>30768340
Depends on the location/department. In some places they get body armor. In others they can carry. The latter is fairly rare though.
>>
>>30768330
Newfag detected. Any type of medic has/will always be welcome here. Go back to /b/ you cynical autist
>>
>>30768379
Its a great stepping stone. It is a horrible permanent career. Even as a medic
>>30768365
Chemistry. If i dont like it ill transfer over to nursing or go respiratory therapist.
>>
>>30768406
I mean who stops you from bleeding out after you ND into your leg trying to practice drawing your glock in front of the mirror?
>>
>>30768419

Doesn't EMT-P take like 2 years...and then pay $16? That shit's sad.

Are there a lot of part-time jobs?
>>
>>30768393
Unions are shit or nonexistent. Took a looong time for nurses to earn what they deserve.
>>
>>30765970
how to be a good EMT

1. put patient in ambulance
2. drive fast to hospital without killing anyone
3. let people who actually know something about medicine work
>>
>>30766588

> have 20 years experience in EMS
> read this post
> call immediate bullshit on half of it

I've had exactly one gun pulled on me and it was an old fart with cancer who wanted to be left the fuck alone. After the cops on scene pushed his shit in, he apologized to me. I have also seen zero child sexual assaults. Nobody calls EMS for thone. They always get caught in the ER or doctor's office.
>>
>>30768429
25$ in my area. Decided it wasnt worth getting fat and miserable though.
>>
Get called out to unconscious person in in rundown part of town meth addict hiding in corner of house with knife wanting to stab us for our narcs
>>
>>30768429
Sounds about right. A lot of the work is volunteer too. It actually blows my mind how low the pay is given the bill that the patient gets.
>>
>>30768443
>I've had exactly one gun pulled on me and it was an old fart with cancer who wanted to be left the fuck alone.

story time ty x
>>
>>30768406

only newfags call other people newfags

>we can help with trauma
>that makes it /k/ related!

>no weapons
>no tactical training
>not military
>not LEO

oh yeah, very appropriate for this board
>>
>>30768441
0. Actually make sure the patient won't bleed to death before we transport.
1.5. prevent the patient from dying in transit.
>>
>>30765970
Emt's have a boot camp?
>>
>>30765970
Fucking go to bed Mike
>>
>>30768508
Yeah its EMT class where the instructors brainwash students with stories from 20+ years of experience and act like they are daily occurrances.
>>
Alright if everyone is going to be ass hurt about it lets talk about tac-med there is specialized training done some myself fun shit learn about tacs. engaging and care under fire there are also more in depth training you can do
>>
>>30768485
So you waste even more time?

lol you think when a patient "dies" in transport the ER just go well the EMTs couldnt save him theres nothing we can do now.

Ill simplify it for you tradies

1. put sick person in shiny truck
2. drive fast to hospital
>>
>>30768548
>Patient cut off leg with chainsaw
>Oh let's just transport and let the real doctors handle it
>Throw him on a gurney and roll out
>Arterial blood is spraying everywhere
>Notmyproblem.tiff
>Ambulance walls are covered with blood
>Patient is very pale and begging for help as he passes out
>Thisisgonnabeabitchtoclean.jpg
>Arrive at hospital
>Patient has bled to death
>Oh well we did everything we could. Anyone up for lunch?
>>
>>30768475

It's really boring.

> old fart has family living all over the US
> they ignore him for years
> old fart gets the cancer, is determined to sit on his porch and drink whiskey until he dies
> kids suddenly get into popularity contest to nab that sweet, sweet lakefront property
> fart is coughing his ass off on phone, daughter asks if he's ok and he says he's probably going to check out soon
> she goes full retard and calls SO saying her terminally I'll father is contemplating suicide
> cops show up, old fart tells them he'said terminally ill and looks the part
> they call us
> we show up, fart gets pissed, shows us the .38 snubby he'd "use if I meant it"
> cops flip the fuck out
> old fart ends up wasting 72 of the last hours of his life on a psych hold

tl;dr: people are stupid.
>>
>>30768625

> patient cut off leg with chainsaw

Bullshit. Doesn't happen that way. Chainsaws are absolute shit at cutting people up. They'll fucking maul you, but they're not light sabers. It's not like they will lop off a limb before you can shit down the saw or move the limb. I've seen lots of chainsaw injuries. Maybe one or two hit bone. The rest were really gnarly abrasions and avulsions.
>>
>>30768548
I think you need to be put in a shiny truck, anon
with padded walls
>>
>>30768695
>Patients leg cut off in industrial accident
Now you happy you fucking autist?
>>
>>30768716

Ah. I thought you were recounting some sort of bullshit story. My bad.

Lots of people make shit like that up. I can't tell you how many brand new basics I've worked with who told me Ye Olde Chainsaw Amputation Stories. Yeah, no. I've spent most of my career in logging areas. Chainsaws don't do that.

Now, an unshielded 48-inch ripsaw..... that, my friend is a motherfucker.
>>
>>30768749
Nah, was just making fun of the dude. Only said chainsaw, because that was the "injury" for the simulation we ran today. I'm four weeks out from state testing.
>>
File: Houston 4.jpg (45KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
Houston 4.jpg
45KB, 720x540px
>>30768695
I'm wildland fire and I've seen a few saw cuts and the worst I've seen was my buddy kickbacking the bar into his face. Vast majority are left leg (through/around chaps) and boot tip taps.

pic related buddy that cut his face
>>
>>30768548
>I don't know how EMTs actually work, but I'll act like I do and tell EMTs they don't know how EMTs actually work
>>
>>30768802

Logging related injuries I've worked ranked in severity from least to worst:

1: Logging chain versus finger
2: Chainsaw injury to back of calf
3: Run over by Skidder (guy had a crushed pelvis, but he made this comically human-shaped indentation in the dirt like a cartoon)
4: Landed on by 50 foot tree
5: Reached into spinning ripsaw, got pulled in
>>
>>30768854

> filename: "Houston"

Niggaaa! I'm right up the road. Just did a transfer to Saint Puke's downtown at like midnight last night.
>>
>>30768872
How close was 5 to that scene from Tucker and Dale where the dude goes through the wood chipper?
>>
Not really an EMT story, but it's a story I heard from a policeman that came to our school when I was younger to tell us about road safety and stuff. Most of it was about scooters and motorcycles since we were getting of age to drive a 50cc scooter.

Very short and unexciting but it stuck with me for close to a decade now, and it's the reason I instantly bought a decent helmet as soon as I bought my MTB:

>Be said policeman
>on a crash scene, biker hit a car at an intersection, car blew a red light so not his fault
>he was wearing full gear, some cracked bones, some abrasions, but he's fine, being carried away in ambulance
>one girl on a scooter slows down to see what's going on (bike was pulverized, loads of wreckage)
>she's going like 20kmh (about 13mph)
>doesn't notice a pothole
>slips on it, falls
>curb meet head, head meet curb, no helmet
>he rushes to her
>she's already vegetable looking, dies shortly after

Maybe he made it up. Maybe not. Still, I'm wearing a fucking helmet everywhere on my bike, now.
>>
>>30768908

Tucker and Dale?

Never seen it. I don't watch much tv.
>>
>>30768937
It's a quality movie. Not exactly /k/ related though.
>>
>>30768901
His name. Happened in Oregon.
>>
>>30768913

It can happen. Shit, you can brain yourself just falling over and hitting the wrong thing.

> be me, responding to fall call
> find little old lady in floor beside her bed bleeding from both ears
> back of her skull is a fucking mess
> load her, take her to the ER, a few hours later we get called in to the local PD because she died and they're investigating it as a homicide
> ohfuckmyass.jpg
> turns out, she'd been using a big, thick-walled champagne bucket as a bedside trashcan and had fallen backwards on it
> the cops thought she'd be brained by a crowbar

Random shit, man. It'll kill you.
>>
>>30768443
Cool. Now go to Detroit or Baltimore
>>
>>30768981

BLM isn't baiting EMS workers in to kill them. That's fucking Glenn Beck-tier retarded bullshit.

You're stupid. Go away.
>>
File: image.jpg (62KB, 500x426px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
62KB, 500x426px
>>30768393

Why should an over saturated "profession" which any high school grad with at least a 2.0 GPA and 10 months of classes at a community college deserve more than 34K a year?

And hold off on how demanding and emotionally scaring the job is, that's what makes it exciting and that is why people do it.
>>
>>30769050
>It's never happened to me at Buttfuck EMS therefore it never happened
>>
>>30768976
Shiiiiet.
>Random shit, man. It'll kill you.
Yeah I know, just doubting it because it was the perfect example for 16yo morons ready to ride scooters without helmets: biker in full gear is fine, girl instakilled by curb.
But it was a good example. It stuck with me, at least.
>>
>>30769054
Idk man, explain why nurses make cash when all they do is hand out pills and do whatever the doctor says
>>
>>30769069

Source or get fucked.
>>
>>30769097

You're simplifying nursing, but you're probably not very smart so I won't get into it. But a nurse can care for a trauma victim as well as provide care to "nurse" them back to health. 4 years for a RN vs 1 year for paramedic? Yeah, it sort of justifies itself
>>
>>30766506
jalaprocity is the technical term for the burning butthole from capsacinoids
>>
>>30769075

In my experience, it's usually not the big mistakes that fuck you. Those, you make, walk away from and get the shakes when you figure out just how retarded that shit was.

It's the little things that fuck you. "Aw, it's just a little hop to the fuckbuddy's place... no need for this helmet." or "Loaded rifle? Eh, fuck it. Safety's on.". Those are the ones that just fuck your shit up.
>>
>>30769137
>Ok dr whatever you say dr
Get fucked, lemme know when you make a decision that effects the pt outcome
>>
>>30769097
4 years of college training. Some nurses are in positions where it is poorly utilized, or are lazy sacks of shit and get other people to do it due to "seniority", even if said people have no license/certification to do said task. Others utilize their training on a daily basis. Depends on the ward/job, depends on the location, depends on the person.
>>
>>30766088
This. Along with people complaining about random pain so they can get pain meds from the ER.
>>
>>30769170
I completely agree. Reason why I pick up my helmet even if I need to bike from point A to B just for 15 minutes.
Don't want to murphy law myself into a coma. I always think that the day I go out without helmet because I'm lazy it's the day some fuck runs a light and hits me.

Already happened something similar - used to always ride out with a set of tools to fix quick problems, did it for months, I don't for two days, on the second day handlebar comes loose (no real warning, it just went loose) and I'm forced to go back on foot. Would have been a 1 minute fix if I had my allen key on me.
>>
>>3076917

Haha, you're a moron bro, sorry you're so butt hurt about the truth that EMT is an easy job, I respect the guys I do, but the work just doesn't justify a higher salary.
>>
>>30769212

> pick up shitbag who called EMS to jump the line at the ER so he can get vikes for his toothache
> do vitals and all that jazz
> call in your report, finish with "Recommend triage upon arrival"
> laugh at shitbag's disbelief as he is unceremoniously dumped into the waiting room
>>
>>30768296
Sounds like crew chief
>>
>>30768937
it's rednecks vs yuppies, except the yuppies all violently and accidentally kill themselves. one guy tries to sneak up and stab a guy throwing wood into a woodchipper because he thinks he's kidknapped their friend (she hit her head while swimming and they saved her) and he trips over a root and falls into the woodchipper.
>>
>post operator EMT stories

>everyone posts vanilla EMS tales that have nothing to do with "operating"

probably because there isnt anything "operator" about being an EMT
>>
>>30768296
>>30765970
>>30768310
>>30766657
How do you become the ambulance driver?
I like to drive big things fast.
>>
>>30769566
>Go to school
>Learn how to keep people from dying in the ambo so they can die in the ER instead
>???
>profit!
>>
Welcome to EMS. Here is what you can expect.

Private EMS:
Your Uniforms WILL suck.
Your schedule will change daily if not hourly.
Your A/C will only work part of the time.
Your Heat will only work part of the time.
You truck needs new tires.
You main is empty at the beginning of EVERY Shift.
Last crew didn't clean the truck.
A popped Colostomy Bag in the back of a hot truck is indescribable!
Everything management tells you will be a LIE.
>"This is your permanent shift"
>"This is your permanent Partner"
>"We gives raises after 90 days, then each year"
>"That truck was fine when I was in it all day yesterday"
Your dispatchers hate themselves only slightly less than they hate you.
You WILL NOT get off on time.
Your life will consist of Dialysis Runs, Falling asleep in Doctors Offices, and the occasional stupid ER trip.
Examples of Stupid ER Trips:
>(In a Somali Accent) Yes the PT fell down this morning (It's 1900) and his hip hurts.
>(In a Somali Accent) The PT says he don't feel good. For the last 5 days...
>(In a Somali Accent) Yes the PT is running up and down the hallway naked (This is an actual run that happened recently)
>>
Every great once in a while you will get a real emergency disguised as a bullshit run. Example:
>Dispatched for a 31 YO MRDD PT with a bowel obstruction (not sure how the RN diagnosed this)
>Arrived to find 31 YO male breathing 4 times per minute, gasping like a fish, unresponsive to pain, on 2 lpm via cannula and his nose is 100% obstructed. Cold, Clammy, and blue from his elbows down.
>Instead of taking him to the hospital on the other side of town like the RN asked we of course go to the closest ER.
>DNR Can't bag him. High Flow via Non Re breather and light em up.
>First thing the ER Doc asks is "Why is he on high flow O2?!"
>"BECAUSE HE'S FUCKING BLUE!!!"
PT was in septic shock - Died same day.

Public EMS (city or county)
Your truck is stocked for the next 3 911's
Your station has a water rescue vehicle and no bodies of water in the county.
Everyone you worked with has a story about how they.....
Pulling people out of cars is only fun for a day or two.
Let the Firemen go in first.
You are either getting paid less than a McDonalds trainee or you are working for free.
If you want to get paid real money on a city fire department:
>Have a dad who is the chief
>Become a Paramedic
>Suck a lot of dick
>>
Some realy advice:
Buy a Littman Lightweight (you can not hear a BP in the back of a moving truck with a $5 Steth)
Buy a $20 Pulse Ox
Keep them in a bag that you take to work or they will be stolen the FIRST DAY. I'm not kidding!
PT assessment:
>This is your kingdom. ER docs should envy your PT assessment skills.
>Find a buddy in the field and give hypothetical scenarios to each other. Just verbal is fine. Do it over and over!
>Read articles, watch youtube. Become the best at Pt assessment.
>You're on /k/ you have probably thought of a million fucked up scenarios. Think about how you would handle them in your head.
>Don't panic!
>a squiggly line looks exactly like a nurses signature.
>>
>>30770765

About two years ago I went to a transfer service after 18 years in various 911 areas. To quite honest, the transfer service has better units, equipment, leadership and general conditions than the 911 guys ever did. Our oldest unit is 4 years old. Half of the fleet still has dealer tags. Our station has all new furniture. If I have a problem with anything, I text the owner and that shit gets lined out.

Now, running back to back shit that the local bandaid station ships an hour away gets old. But I'm better paid and taken care of than anybody else around here who isn't a firefaggot. So I'm pretty happy.

Also, fuck 911. Fuck 911 right in its ass.
>>
>>30770868
thanks, i'm going to pick up a Measupro, is the 250 better than the 200?
>>
>>30768443

This.

Paramedic and FD for 7 years now, had two guns pulled on me. First gun was a dementia patient, second guy was also a sick cancer patient.

Totally had the roll over and suffocate case several times though.
>>
Christ oh lawdy. I'm going to school to be an EMT to help me get my foot in the door with a firestation or a hospital. These posts are making me feel hopeless.
>>
>>30770969

90% of calls are going to be mindless nothingness
5% are going to be weird or unusual
4% are going to be requiring some basic or mild care
The 1% is going to be the ones you remember. Its tough. but there's a great support network. If you want it, you'll be fine.
>>
>>30765970
3 months left of paramedic school. I'm so fuckign stressed right now it just makes you want to quit. But I can't, not when I've gone so far already. We've lost a lot of classmates along the way; I don't want to be another one of them.

I've had a really shitty week. cheer me up /k/
>>
>>30770933
>Measupro
Acc U Rate® Premium is what I use. Works great man.
>>
>>30768340
if you do, super extra duper deep carry
>>
>>30768695
I had a guy an hero with a chainsaw because his wife cheated on him.
>>
>>30770969
People will ask you "what's the worst thing you've ever seen?!"

What they want to hear is the decapped motorcyclist story or the BS they burned up in a car and there was nothing I could do story.

23 years in EMS, here's mine.

>1998
>about a week before Christmas
>35 YO female pt going to radiation
>house full of family
>two 4 year old twin little girls (daughters)
>one twin askes me if her mommy would be OK for Christmas
>on the way to the cancer center pt tells me that they found the cancer in her breast while she was pregnant with the little girls.
>PT waited until they were born to begin treatment because they wouldn't have survived.
>PT said she would do it all over again.
>Doctor admits pt to hospital
>PT never made it to Christmas with her little girls

I'll see those little girls faces as we wheeled their mom out for the rest of my life.
>>
File: 1468484600014.jpg (207KB, 692x960px) Image search: [Google]
1468484600014.jpg
207KB, 692x960px
>>30771273
heard this secondhand from some other dispatchers, goes something like
>guy standing on the highest bridge in our area
>has a nylon rope or some shit
>person calling it in is his son, they're not on good terms
>son says he's an alcoholic and he saw him on the bridge getting ready to jump, but wasn't going to try to stop him
>guy is busy tying a slip knot around his neck
>deputy shows up
>as soon as the guy sees the deputy he jumps
>radios it into dispatch
>peer over edge
>rope snapped
>law enforcement goes down into shitty marsh water since its low tide-ish
>find body
>looks like he faceplanted and he's buried pretty good
>has the new guy roll him over
>upon closer examination there is no head attached to the body
>slip knot went tight enough at terminal velocity to decapitate him on the way down
>>
>>30770821
>>30770843
>>30770868
I fucking lost it at
>BECAUSE HE'S FUCKING BLUE

Seriously though, thanks for the advice. I really appreciate it.
>>
>>30766088
Don't forget homeless and crazy people....

Sooo many homeless and crazy people.
>>
File: NREMT.jpg (934KB, 2294x2289px) Image search: [Google]
NREMT.jpg
934KB, 2294x2289px
>>30765970
The dumbest call I ever had was probably, "sick person, cereal stuck on tongue."
>>
>>30771773
Already got a lot of that working for securitards.
>>
>>30769566
Most places are trying to recruit right now, if you're in a small town just call the station, somebody there could probably set you up with ride alongs or the like, just to get a taste.

>>30768296
Yeah, but it's fun though.

>>30768340
It's usually a criminal act to knowingly carry a firearm into a hospital (barring pd or whatever), so no.

>>30769457
Yeah, but it's fun though.

>>30771773
Surprisingly few homeless for me, but then again I'm not doing urban EMS. The crazies in my area are pretty chill though. One of my favorite frequent flyers is the entertaining kind of crazy.
>>
>>30765970
OK that's like the 4th time in 5 minutes that I see someone that can't spell Sergeant on this board.
>>
>>30773387
I did not make the meme.
>>
>>30773438
>I did not make the meme.
Its called an image macro you fucking ignorant piece of shit.
>>
>>30768441
What an ignorant thing to say. EMT's that I've met are pretty fucking smart. People in different specialties know a lot about what they do. Like Some nurses are shit at veni-puncture. Even though they "know more" than phlebotomist, Phlebs. are way better at poking than nurses most of the time.
>>
>>30766088
Nursing homes, fat people, ghetto folks all the damn time. The majority of calls are a mixture of the above three.

>Be doing field shift during AEMT school.
>Called to a "Skilled" Nursing Facility in reference to altered mental status.
>Show find pt laying in bed, mental status normal begging us to get him the hell out of there.
>Go to move him, notice his sheets are the same damn sheets we have on our stretcher
>WTF? Hey LPN has your guy been to the hospital lately?
>"Oh idk not my pt, I just started working here six months ago, I just started my shift" etc etc
>Move pt over to stretcher, notice a fuck huge decubitus ulcer on near lumbar
>LPN is a "wound care specialist" Oh it wasn't like that last time I checked it"
>Look up patient record in computer, turns out he was transported a week prior for the same thing, then quickly discharged and sent back.
>He'd been laying on the same sheets from the stretcher he'd been placed on the week before.
>Preceptor has to be literally dragged from the room before she beats the fuck out of LPN.
>Explain situation once we get to ER to doc, call APS to report situation.
>Mfw called back to the same facility as soon as we go back in service
>Same hallway, one room down from last patient for even more fuckery.
>>
>>30766088
>Prepare for nursing home transports and fat people. You're going to get a lot of both.

My favorites are people who call for an ambulance because A) they think that arriving in an ambulance will get them seen faster, and/or B) they have no ride and don't want to call a cab because they'll HAVE to pay the cabbie, but the ambulance company will just send bills that they can ignore pretty much forever.

At the least the ER manager at the hospital where I work does something about the first type. When the ambulance rolls in, the patient gets triaged by the triage nurse right there in the bay. If it's a legit emergency, they go right in. If it's bullshit, the EMTs unload the patient in the waiting room and leave.

Oh, and speaking of crazy? We had a guy come into the ER wanting to be seen for his back pain. He didn't like how long he was waiting (about 45 minutes), so he got out his cell phone and called for an ambulance. Yes, he wanted an ambulance to come get him from the ER WAITING ROOM. I'm not sure where he thought they were going to take him...
>>
>>30771273

Space cases.

You know that little gap between the platform and the train? That little two inch nothing?
Man Under jobs in the subway is a bad enough call. Guts and gore to keep you awake all week, sometimes mixed with the smell of third rail burns and ozone.
Space Cases are worse.
For the EMS fags in the thread - Remember MAST Pants? Those goofy inflatable anti-shock pants that you might have in your rig that you've never used and probably never will? Remember how they told you never to suddenly deflate it after you apply it? The same principles apply here.

People get pinned between the the train and the platform. They have about 50 tons of train squeezing them at the torso into the platform. They're still alive when you get there - they're alive while FD and ESU inflate the bags to push the train off the track. They tell you how their legs feel numb, even though their legs are about 50 feet uptown, they tell you how they need to call their folks, their wives, and tell them that they're going to be at the hospital. It's the most traumatizing thing I've ever dealt with, talking to somebody who's already dead, who thinks that they're going to be okay.

EMS fags, remember the MAST pants? Remember how they warned you never to suddenly deflate them because they'll cause the pt's BP to crash?
Imagine that, except it's 50 tons of train, keeping their guts in, keeping their blood pressure up.

Once they inflate those bags, the train that killed them stops keeping them alive.
>>
>>30768393
>I am actually baffled by how little EMTs make.
>PMCs supposedly used to pay ok for medics to just sit around base though.

A lot of you guys are confusing paramedics (who have at least a few years' school, training, and experience) and EMTs, who can get in the door with a one-semester class and AHA BLS CPR certification. The medic is the guy who knows wtf to do with someone going into insulin shock or multiple broken bones. The EMT is the guy who provides extra hands, a strong back, and drives the ambulance. It's literally like the difference between a CNA and a nurse practitioner.
>>
>>30768419
>ill transfer over to nursing or go respiratory therapist.

You know nurses make about 2x to 3x as much, right?
>>
File: JOHN CENA.jpg (37KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
JOHN CENA.jpg
37KB, 600x400px
>>30774032
>between a CNA
>>
>>30773969
The combinations of that are really fun.
>Got an emergency call for a woman with a bump on her neck, which had been there for more than a week.
>(Why the hell was this dispatched priority one?)
>Okay, so have you seen your PCP about this? >Nope don't have one.
>Okay so has it gotten worse? Any pain etc etc?
>Nope. Don't have a ride so I called you guys.
>Fuck it lets go, call report in, pt is triagable be there in 10
>Get to the ER, waiting to give report to triage nurse
>Doc passes by, asks whats going on, give him the run down.
>Doc pulls pt to the side into a room, talks to her for 2 minutes
>Pt comes walking out the room ready to leave.
>Doc already examined, diagnosed her, and wrote a script before we've even had a chance to speak to the triage nurse.
>Pt immediately whips out her phone calling for a friend to come give her a ride home that she mysteriously did not have 15 minutes ago from the ER
>>
>>30774009
Jesus Christ anon.
>>
>>30769137
>4 years for a RN vs 1 year for paramedic? Yeah, it sort of justifies itself

Except it's actually more like 2.5 years for RN (4 would get a BSN). Paramedic training is about 2 years AFTER being an EMT and then EMT-B, so about 3-4 years. You have it backwards.

But then, this is because people are confused about what an EMT and paramedic are. Basic EMT is a one semester class. The next step up is about a year's worth of additional training plus a license exam. The next step up from there is about 2 years of school and license exam to be a paramedic. Paramedic is a big deal. Basic ambulance crewman is not so much (not that what they do isn't important, just that getting that into job is relatively easy and has low qualifications).
>>
>>30769172
>Get fucked, lemme know when you make a decision that effects the pt outcome

Rad tech here. You mean like when I see the patient has a broken neck and call the ER doc to tell him so he doesn't have to wait 20 minutes for the report? Or when I see the order coming from the doctor isn't correct for the suspected condition and correct it so the doc gets the info he really wants? Nurses do similar stuff all the time. You have NO idea how many judgement calls the ICU nurses make on behalf of the patients' doctors who are at their offices and not answering their phones. And the doctors back us up on shit like this 99.99% of the time because that's just how this shit works.
>>
File: 1464302105656.jpg (46KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
1464302105656.jpg
46KB, 500x667px
>>30771026
>cheer me up /k/
Gotcha buddy. Pic related
>>
>>30774009
Holly fuck, I have two train stations in my first due, hope I never see some shit like that.
I have seen a man under, he amazingly survived despite being under the third train car.
>>
>>30773347
>Surprisingly few homeless for me
you are extremely lucky.

Although, they can be a source of entertainment...
>>
>>30768429
Location. I am sitting in bed salaried at $85,000 a year to work the medic unit for a fire department. I made more last year with overtime than my 2 bedroom condo costs.

I am the 1% of EMS workers, but the guys that don't cut it in legit services are usually lazy abd a whole host of other negative attributes.
>>
>>30774126
Kinda sorta reading this and everyone is kinda right and wrong. I am in the usa and I have a bachelor's degree in Paramedicine/EMS. They exist as does grad school for various EMS related subjects that are non clinical. So measuring time in school means fuck all.

Saying nursing is 4 years is kinda bullshit as pre reqs and gen ed are not really relevant when comparing.

Being a Paramedic or an RN really means nothing. On the bottom level there is a minimum, but a part time community college RN program does not compare with a teaching hospitals/schools BSN program. Same applies to shitty and good medic programs.

Live and let live. We all work for the patient, healthcare providers who measure dicks are pathetic.
>>
>>30768542
That's how you know you went to a shit program. War stories are told by those that don't actually have valuable educational content. It is literally the first thing in any former instructor course or educators program. Dont tell war stories.
>>
>>30768548
I am assuming you are a troll, but we don't transport dead bodies and with few exceptions there is nothing in ATLS/PHTLS and ACLS that isn't or can't be done in the field that is suddenly possible as you walk into an ER. If you didn't make it in transport most "good" hospitals will give it a "college try" and do three rounds if it's purely medical, or at least assess a traumatic arrest "just cuz"
>>
>>30765970
>EMT
>Basic
>Sargeant
what
>>
>>30774486
What's wrong with war stories?

When I did a first aid course, whenever anyone had a question the instructor would answer pretty much with one of their stories, or a story they'd gotten off a coworker and it did a much better job of illustrating to someone with a limited understanding of anatomy (i.e. anyone who's not a surgeon) why you should or should not do certain things.
>>
>>30774426

RN here

Most RNs take about 4-6 years now because schools keep changing their pre-rec requirements, adding stuff and removing stuff.
When I went to apply for nursing school my first time the school required a 100 and 200 series Bio, 100 and 200 series chem, 100 and 200 series psych + a secondary (Death and dying or Science of Addiction), 100 and 200 level writing and comp, 100 series math, one 100 series sociology, and two humanities; they changed their requirements and denied any apps that lacked a religious studies course

Going through school balanced between three courses, an intensive (18mo), a standard (24 mo w/ 3 month break) and one that filled pre-reqs (36mo).

It took me 7 semesters, about 3.5 years, because I was a Medic before and they counted the EMT course for the Bios and Physc, plus the hours helped and it came naturally. Most people I started with too about 9-10 semesters.

This is probably a local phenomena though
>>
>>30774536

Oh, and some required an Org Chem.
>>
>>30774536
Not arguing for or against, I just don't buy the RN versus XYZ argument as there are nurses out there that hold the title and have done the minimum far below what you did. There are also medics who have bachelor's degrees and did 2 years of 3rd and 4th year courses above pre reqs, gen-ed and EMT to include expanded scopes and further more in depth A&P, public health courses as well as management, finances and education.

If I wanted to be a nurse, a doctor, an astronaut or a rockstar I probably could have, but I chose to be a firefighter/paramedic who is getting ready for work to pay for grad school and send me to some sick operating operatonally operator courses on things that go boom.

In the end I may go to nursing school, or MD, many do and I won't be the first.

I just dislike the dick measuring and waving. The only folks that do that are the insecure ones.
>>
>>30774536
>>30774570
Also I understand the guy arguing for the medic probably started this. I am not one way or another. I could care less, I am just providing info I know from my experiences which differ from most.
>>
>>30765999
I don't blame you, your life blows.
>>
>>30774570

Oh no I absolutely agree. The net it tightening on medical staff lately and weeding out those who don't have the real know how and only got certified by pure luck. I don't care how much I went to school with others, some people take 8 years to be nurses and that's all well and good. It's a hard career path to get into like most anything in medicine and its demanding, both Nursing and Paramedics.

Im just a semester away from my APRN now and what I've learned is that it just takes time for people and were all here because we want to help people. We're all part of a layered health system and measuring dicks is stupid. I need my medics and my MAs and LPNs so I can be sure the doctor knows what's what with his patient.

I was just more or less outlining what most (maybe-again, there's disparity here) nurses have to go through, and venting because, god damn, its so stupid sometimes.

We're are you a medic at if you don't mind my asking?
I did mine in New Orleans 2005-2009.
>>
I'd be pissed if I needed medical help and some EMT showed up and not Paramedics. Fuck that.
>>
File: 1379048801144.jpg (2MB, 3500x2056px) Image search: [Google]
1379048801144.jpg
2MB, 3500x2056px
>>30771026
>>
>Just started EMR coarse
>runs across this thread

I knew EMS guys have to go through some shit but god damn.
>>
What does EMT stand for? Emergency Medical Technician?
>>
>>30774753
Correct.
>>
>>30774711

Yeah, I'm thinking of getting an EMR course as well after having done an occupational first aid course, but it's not for a career or anything, I just want the skillset in case of SHTF.
>>
>>30774032
/This
>>
>>30774646
I can't decide which one:(
>>
>>30774610
Lol this
>>
>>30766588
>I've been shot at by redguards who called 911 to trap the EMTs and kill them
Why do they do that? What could they possibly gain from killing an emt?
>>
>>30774996

Rob the ambulance of drugs.
>>
>>30774009
Still carry MAST pants for pelvic fractures. But yeah I remember having them for crush injuries and BP. Problem was Basics can't push BiCarb :D

Closest I ever came to your story was some idiot tried to jump between the cars of a moving train. Lost both legs. I wasn't even a basic yet (1993) lol I was in basic class and still a W/C driver. They gave me an orange bag and told me to go get all the pieces of his legs.

>>30774602
We actually hired this one EMT just to see how what would happen. He was "slow" to say it nicely. His first report he came to me asking why a PT was only on O2 at night...The report he got from the ECF was 3 lpm which he thought was 3 LITERS AT NIGHT.....
>>
File: image_12.jpg (67KB, 600x549px) Image search: [Google]
image_12.jpg
67KB, 600x549px
>tfw can't be an ems with a fire department because of the psych test
>>
>>30768749
Knew a fellow who was pruning a tree in a rural property
Taped throttle open so could do it one handed on a ladder
Proceeds to cut belly open
Walks an hour to the neighbours while holding intestines and shit in
Lives happily ever after
>>
>>30769097
Your ignorance is showing.
How would you like to clean shit and deal with dying people all day?
>>
File: Brutal.png (115KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
Brutal.png
115KB, 500x333px
>>30771400
>>
>>30774009
Well fuck me, I was gonna go to bed.
>>
>>30769054
Because you're not willing to do it, pussy
>>
>>30775019
Unless you are carrying portal labs (we carried I-STATS at a previous service and using the chem 8 you could tell a bunch based on Na, K, and CO2 as to where the PH might be.), following ACLS, or have very very late stage tell tale clinical signs, bicarb is pretty useless in the field. Most units won't even carry enough and it truly is a last ditch effort. I have given it in crush injury scenarios with no real proven positive outcome. The one time it may have worked we eventually just ran a code and ultimately even with ROSC the patients condition resulted in death. Being old and obese with shitty renal function to begin with is not promising.

I have used it on hyper-k arrests, but what really did the trick? The calcium, bicarb, albuterol, epi and good cpr, or the amio/lido? You throw the kitchen sink at those and even with ROSC the underlying morbities don't lead to good outcomes.
>>
>>30774602
I've worked the west coast over a decade now. From big city California to wilderness PNW. Working rural PNW right now. Wouldn't go anywhere else honestly. From wide scope, well funded system, excellent medical director and EMS program as well as general good quality of life, it's a no brainer. Unlike the knife and gun club down in cali where we were glorified EMTs who started IVs, we do alot up here not for fun, but as necessary. RSI, central lines, surgical airways, blood product and antibiotics on transfers and vent/balloon/invasive medical device trips.

I've worked on 911 units with I-stats, and all our first out apparatus has video laryngoscopes and vents.

It's paradise versus other places.
>>
>>30768653
Probably the way /k/ wants to go out on.
>>
>>30774610
Generally it's an Paramedic assisted be a few EMTs, or if its only EMT's and your shit is really bad, literally the first thing we do is tell dispatch to send a medic.
>>
>>30777150
That actually sounds really nice. As a fellow PNW fag I hope to get such a gig someday.
>>
HOW THE FUCK IS THIS WEAPONS RELATED
HOLY SHIT MODS DO YOUR JOB
LITERAL FUCKING COMPLETELY OFF TOPIC BLOG THREAD
>>
>>30779127
>Waaahh, why don't people talk about things I like! Stawp talking about stuff that I don't like!
Because not everything discussed will be something you like?

Fuck off, no one cares about you.
>>
>>30779127

It isn't weapons related at all.

For some weird reason there is a small contingent of emts who think they are operator as fuck or something. These are the ones you see buying plate carriers and ar500 inserts at gun stores. They'really invariably overweight and a huge number have NG or limited mil experience (always, ALWAYS pogs)and when they find out you are LEO they talk like you're best buds and want to swap stories that are mostly made up about what portion of somebody's body they stitched back on in the ambulance last night.

The pay is shit, the only good ones are the lifers, and those Gung ho Fuckheads like the OP probably is are the shit heads freezing up when they're needed or putting on body armor to respond to a heart attack call for grandpa and rolling out like they are part of a swat team.

Seriously, emts should be considered stepping stone jobs. Go back to be an RN or accept you will work a shit pay shit schedule job that you might get a semi exciting call from once a month.
>>
>>30773969
>the ambulance company will just send bills
wait WHAT? an ambulance ride costs money?
I mean sure if you're faking it and/or just don't want to pay for a cab I can see why they would send you a bill, but if I had me leg cut off with my dremel tool they wouldn't, would they?
>>
>>30769438
Yeah its fucking great
>>
>>30779860

Depends on your community and what level of service they have.

I have worked for communities that outsource EMS to a private service. All runs are billed. I have worked in systems where ALS (advanced life support) the real deal calls are tiered and Paramedics either only go out on what sounds like a bad call or if the EMTs request them. If it is a bad call and it requires a Paramedic it is paid for by your tax dollars.

Your local politicians decide what level of service you have and who shows up at your door. 911 is not universal nor is it standard.

You could be living in the community where the fresh Paramedics and EMTs with no experience work for a big corporate or small mom and pop hell bent on making money (both) and provide shit service as they are understaffed, underpaid and overworked. The guys that stay there long term are even worse as they are so shit they don't have the option of leaving.

On the flip side, you could have a fully funded third service or fire based EMS system that is attached to a medical school, works off the tax system and is free to use with some fine print (not abuse). These systems may pay Paramedics up to 10x what some of the privates pay and they require 10x the quality. Happy employees that care about their community and make it a career.
>>
File: 1274581975691.gif (3MB, 445x247px) Image search: [Google]
1274581975691.gif
3MB, 445x247px
>>30769054
>34K a year

If only...
>>
>>30779860
where I am the ambulance doesn't cost you anything unless they transport you to the hospital
people will firmly deny wanting EMTs/paramedics to check them out until someone mentions that it's free unless they get transported
>>
>>30780274
With some exceptions that is 100% how it is in the USA. It all had to do with medicare. Medicare sets the rules and Medicare doesn't pay for anything with exception of transport.

Privately contracted services can negotiate a price for response without transport.
>large facility or warehouse may contract service with private ambulance.

Nursing homes in some jurisdictions can be fined for overuse and lift assists by the fire department. Medicare pays a shit ton of money to house those people, they can't double dip the public resources.

I could come up with hundreds of other small examples, but you can't hill someone for a 911 call generally. This is a free country and if someone calls an ambulance for you, they can't make you do anything or bill you. City, public, state, fed or private. Tell them to fuck off, even if you are bleeding out. As long as you can make rational decisions and are not a threat to yourself or the public your body is your right. I hate medical providers of all levels that feel the need to impose. It's not a crime to be a moron and walk away as you are having a medical emergency.
>>
>>30768393

If you saw how much your co. made your would under stand. My family owns a ambulance co. and we have to beg and fight for every cent that we get from Medicaid and Medicare. I hate paying 13.50but as the ceo I only make 370 and I work all the time. So if your you still wondering where the money is in EMS it stays with the insurance companies.
>>
File: foot off.png (67KB, 965x610px) Image search: [Google]
foot off.png
67KB, 965x610px
>>30766088
Just think of all the stories you'll get!
>>
>>30777150
How exactly are the jobs spread around? How did you get the one you have now?
>>
>>30780908
>experience
>education
>credentials
>aptitude
>testing abilities
>professional social skills
>patience

No one goes to a 1 quarter emt school and works at my agency. As you play the game you start to pick up where the starter places are and where the pros are. You have to work your way to the top. It's pretty simple but complex. I guess before I go on I need to ask how much you already know and how in depth you want to go.
>>
>>30780977
I don't really know anything, I was just curious since I don't want to work retail or fast food
I live in Snohomish county in Washington, are there any particular places where it would be better to start, or that'd pay better earlier?
>>
>>30768854
>Wildland fire

Honestly the most badass of all fire-related jobs
>>
File: LemmyIsGod.jpg (69KB, 564x607px) Image search: [Google]
LemmyIsGod.jpg
69KB, 564x607px
>>30768443
>>30766588
>>30770954

>Pushed narcan on OD
>I was still very green
>Saved the shitbags life
>Well, kept him breathing until ALS got there
>But he lived
>Found him 6 months later rolled over on his infant daughter
>Both dead
>TFW if I hadn't interfered the little girl would be alive today
>I know logically I could never predict it and blah blah blah
>But still
>Feelsbadman
>>
I just joined local FD.
What am I in for?
80% of empty calls, 15% car accidents, 4% microwave fires, and 1% fires?
>>
>>30782772
5% bullshit calls where nobody is even there
20% lift assists or other super routine things that could be done by someone with muscle
30% people calling because they or someone they know is having some kind of sickness
25% people calling due to breathing problems or chest pains or falling injuries
2% things that have potential to be a fire but really just need a fire extinguisher and some ventilation for the smoke
0.5% actual fires that need fighting
everything else is traffic accidents
>>
>>30768854
actually doesnt look too bad considering he took a bar to the face. Good to know chainsaws aren't actually that dangerous.
>>
>>30773808
>"Oh idk not my pt, I just started working here six months ago, I just started my shift" etc etc

Every. Fucking. Time

When was the last time the pt was seen alive?
>I checked on her two hours ago and she was talking
The patient is ice cold and in rigor
>Well, she's not my patient and I just got on 20 minutes ago
I'm surprised you didn't tell me this wasn't your usual floor too

I will never let anyone sentence me to one of those pre-mortuary hellholes
>>
>>30775003
All that sweet sweet baby aspirin.
>>
>>30783126
Pretty sure ALS ambulances carry Morphine.
>>
>>30783036
This.
Every fucking word is truth
>>
>>30783197
Always a full code too
>>
>>30766495
>Hoping to avoid the barry ferry.
On the plus side, my ambulance service has a few Bariatric units with wide stretchers and hydraulic lifts in the rear. Also a minimum crew of 3 people.

>>30773808
>>30783036

Which is worse, negligence or gross incompetence?
>Called to nursing home for difficulty breathing with pulse ox in 80s
>Get to facility
>pt's face is fucking purple
>They're pinning her down (she was struggling) and holding a deflated non-rebreather on her face running a measly 2 liters
>Pulse ox reads 54

Shit was infuriating. What was likely a simple case of aspiration pneumonia turned into 2 CNAs and a nurse actively trying to suffocate someone.
>>
>>30774536
Got a question for you Anon, I'm going back to school to be an RN because my original career path died a slow and agonizing death.

What's some advice for someone in my situation to cope with the stress of the classwork and clinicals? I already have my bachelors so most of the bullshit classes are out of the way except the entry bio and organic chemistry classes.
>>
>>30783266
I'm pretty sure nursing home staff are the reason we aren't allowed to carry guns
>>
>>30783266
>Non-rebreather
>not giving 15lpm
What the shit.
>>
>>30783266
Jesus Christ.
>>
File: ThugLife.jpg (27KB, 500x384px) Image search: [Google]
ThugLife.jpg
27KB, 500x384px
>>30783036
>>30783197
>>30783266
>>30783327

Can we turn this into a RN/LPN rage thread? Greentexts inbound
>>
>>30783456
Absolutely. I have a great one from an ex.

>be ex
>11 years old
>go to have some bullshit blood test done
>RN can't find a vein
>tried like 15 time
>starts just kinda digging around in her arm
>eventually another nurse manages to draw from her hand
>now has a severe needle phobia
>>
File: 1463798182926.jpg (502KB, 1280x1752px) Image search: [Google]
1463798182926.jpg
502KB, 1280x1752px
>>30771026
Here you go anon.
>>
>>30783485
>BLS transport to higher standard of care for stabilized spinal and rib fractures
>Sending facility is basically urgent care calling itself an ER
>Still way more appropriate for treatments than a BLS car in rush hour
>Last set of vitals is 2 hours prior
65 M stroke and cardiac history, hypertension
180/110 ish O2 95 room air
>Grab a set of vitals before loading patient
220/130 ish, 40 minute transport w/ heavy traffic
>This patient is not stable for BLS transport, needs ALS
>Call dispatch and receiving facility, justify my decline
>Receiving MD and REMO doc are cool with it
>ALS is going to be another 2 hours
>Inform nurse that transport is no go for 2 hours
>Nurse flips shit and says I'm abandoning patient
>Tell her MD and REMO agree with my assessment
>She tells patient I'm too lazy to transport him
>Explain to patient he might have another stroke enroute and his BP needs to be managed properly
>Nurse gets patient fired up and threatening to sue
>Nurse calls supervisor after I leave and tries to get me fired

Just another day in paradise
>>
File: 1467407720475.jpg (16KB, 260x260px) Image search: [Google]
1467407720475.jpg
16KB, 260x260px
>>30783754
>>
>>30783456
>85M history of dementia 2cm head laceration from bump on the noodle
>Negative fall, negative LOC, C-spine clear and PMS intact x 4
>A&Ox2, frequent flyer always forgets the date after years in a nursing home
>So mentation is baseline
>Pt on warfarin, nice and bloody
>Control bleeding, clean up his face a little, transport
>Why would you bring him here without a C-collar?
>How do you know he didn't break his neck?
>He's altered from head trauma, he needs a level 1
>Yet another complaint to my boss

The nursing home is literally across the street from this hospital by the way
>>
>>30783881

You know, no one is going to know or care about jargon and PCR acronyms. Way to try and make a routine BLS call interesting.
>>
>>30783903
>>30783881
>Negative fall, negative LOC, C-spine clear and PMS intact x 4

Patient had nothing more than a cut on his head.

Fixed
>>
>>30783903
Let me translate it:

>85 year old patient with a history of dementia sliced his head open on a cabinet
>He didn't fall and his neck is completely fine
>Vitals are fine
>Patient is bleeding a lot because blood thinners
>stop bleeding and wipe his face off, and get him in the ambulance
>Why didn't you put a collar to hold his head in place
>How do you know he didn't break his neck?
>He's altered from head trauma (he has dementia), he needs a level 1 trauma center (the highest level of emergency care)
>Yet another complaint to my boss
>>
>>30780828

I snapped a guy's finger off once.

> have dried up old dialysis patient
> guy has already lost both his legs and now his fingers are in the process of mummifying while still attached
> because he's so light, it's easier for me to just pick him up like a baby and put him in the dialysis chair
> pick up patient, pivot, feel something hit the toe of my boot
> put patient in chair, look down, see this shriveled black finger on the floor
> ohwhatthefuck.jpg
> don't know what else to do, so I drop it in a biohazard bag and stuff it in his lunchbox
> four hours later.....
> pick guy up, take him back to the nursing home and put the bagged finger on the desk in front of a couple of nurses
> tell them: "Here. He dropped this."
> put guy in bed, go back out, find nurses still staring at the finger
>>
>>30784101
>tell them: "Here. He dropped this."

I love you
>>
File: 1469564553317.jpg (432KB, 1845x1410px) Image search: [Google]
1469564553317.jpg
432KB, 1845x1410px
>>30783959

Eh, fuck the complainants.

> run out to local lizard farm for a PEG tube replacement call
> cute little nursing home nurse is embarrassed because she has to send a patient out to the ER at half past midnight for a clogged feeding tube that she's not allowed to replace
> I ask her if she wants me to fix it
> tellmemore.jog
> I break down a 3.0 ETT and get the stylette out of it
> bend the last half inch to keep it from going down the tube, then insert the other end and break up the clog
> nurse wants to blow me
> I go back to the station and catch a nap
> a few days later, my boss is pissed that I cleared the clog instead of transporting
> he found out because the nurse called to thank me
> mfw I can't fucking win for losing
>>
File: kermit.jpg (57KB, 500x388px) Image search: [Google]
kermit.jpg
57KB, 500x388px
>>30784101
>>
>>30768330
Shouldn't you be out buying school supplies?

Last month,my partner and I were dispatched to an active shooter with two confirmed critical. We did not wait for scene secure, we drew our concealed carry weapons, grabbed spine boards and were pulling the two patients out of danger while two deputies pulled up between us and the shooter with a cruiser before taking her down with a tazer.

My primary job was to save those patients, not start shooting. My reward was a $200 bonus on my check, a pat on the back and one of those two patients having survived. I'm lucky in that my EMS agency allows body armor and concealed carry because my medical director has been in situations where he wished he'd had them. In the past three years of working EMS, I've had to draw my weapon on two people while I've been on the clock, fortunately haven't had to shoot anyone since Afghanistan 6 years ago.

I'm currently waiting for a TCCC (Tactical Critical Casualty Care) course next spring and then I'm off to be a deputy and taking over for the current SRT medic who is planning to move out of state.

TL,DR; STFU, thank satan summer ends soon.
>>
>>30766588
Keep up the good fight. It sucks that we need body armor now but that's what the world is coming to.
>>
>>30768340
Depends on the state & department. Mine allows it, even encourages it.
>>
>>30768406
You mu nigga.

>would bring jump bag and shoot with, would patch up 10/10
>>
So how's the pussy game? Seems like chicks dig guys with noble self-sacrificing semi-official jobs,
>>
>>30768376
Look up TCCC, wilderness medic classes, you might be interested in one of them after high school, champ.
>>
>>30768429
It does suck, but if you have that and either military or law enforcement background, you make dank cash as a PMC.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FLwIGJKv-0
>>
File: 1467964693222.gif (4MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
1467964693222.gif
4MB, 480x270px
>>30784213
>>30784122

Oh, you want fucked up?

> respond to sick call circa 1997 or so
> 712lb Sheboonasaurus got scalded by her own shower when she tried backing in and one huge tit turned the cold water off and the hot water all the way on
> then she sat on her ass for two days rubbing butter on her burns
> she's also naked because clothes hurt
> the whole house smells like a cat took a huge shit in a hobo's old boot
> my partner and I enlist the help of every ghettodweller in sight and get her gigantic ass in the unit
> partner is assessing the burns when he lifts one huge tit and a TV remote falls out
> partner picks up remote and stares at it as if to ask it to tell him its secrets
> then he casually lifts the megatit up and stuffs the remote back under it before going back to work
> mfw
>>
>>30768441
How about being able to correctly place pads for a 12 lead? Prep everything for an IV in under 10 seconds, control bleeding effectively, apply traction splints, perform an needle decompression, insert a king airway? Maybe go to a "difficulty breathing" knowing your dispatcher fucked up a few months ago and sent a crew into a house with a knife wielding angry drunk who was just "difficulty breathing"? How about working for an EMS agency that dresses you in the same uniform as the city police and sends you into the ghetto? Ever done chest compressions until your wrist sprained but kept going for and 30 minute transport?
>>
>>30768443
And where the fuck do you work? North Dakota? Try working inner-city.
>>
>>30784391

I have. I worked Fresno.

Shit just isn't that common.
>>
>>30784376
they'll send you into the ghetto like that without an escort? I know some departments make police escorts mandatory so the EMTs dont get fucked up
>>
>>30783485
there is some bad, permanent nerve damage that can result from some idiot jabbing around with a needle in your arm. we know a woman that my wife worked with, gave blood and ended up with permanent aching, numbness, cold feeling and so on in her arm and part of her upper body. That was 20 years ago and she is now legally handicapped. Kinda ruined her fucking life.

Too many nurses seem to have a chip on their shoulder, are angry, fat and controlling, pissed off 24/7 and talk loud when they don't need to. and why the fuck are they doing that job? because they love helping people?

FUCK that.
>>
>>30784418
Unfortunately so. Sometimes I think the emergency management director is trying to get everyone killed. Everyone is dressed like a cop - EMS, fire & police. They try to keep us where we have the highest call volumes, unfortunately the ghetto is where it's at.
>>
>>30784487
When we were together I took her to get some blood tests done. She had to take xanax both times. Took a half dose the second time and almost passed out trying to get out of the chair after it was done. She's getting over it slowly though.
>>
File: wale.jpg (670KB, 667x1000px) Image search: [Google]
wale.jpg
670KB, 667x1000px
>>30784370

>lifts one huge tit and a TV remote falls out

oh shit thats good stuff m8
>>
>>30784416
Maybe you haven't seen it, but it does happen.
>>
>>30784535

I didn't say that it never happens. I said it wasn't that common.
>>
>>30784515
shit, who could blame her. That's gonna take a long time to get her over that.

I'd trust an EMT over a nurse any time I had the chance, for the most part. Maybe I just ran into my extra share of craptastic nurses, dunno.
>>
>>30784557
Depends where you are I suppose. Chicago it's almost a daily occurrence to see fucked up shit. Same with Saint Louis, Louisville, Memphis and Nashville. Then again, I've met cops who've never had to fire their service pistols while working inner city.
>>
got a couple from driving a tow truck and private security before that.

>working at local casino.
>just walked in from lunch and looking at pictures of parrots with two other co-workers.
>hear parrot bitch say "oh shit he slipped"
>me and other guy look over at OWM on hands and knees clutching his chest.
>run over just as he loses consciousness.
>get him laid out, begin to check for pulse/breathing/etc.
>wife is surprisingly calm and helpful.
>dude keeps going in and out but barely breathing, around 6-4bpm, and weak pulse at neck. none could be found on femoral.
>suddenly starts to turn blue.
>ear over mouth, smell something minty.
>crypt keeper's old black mammy dropped a peppermint in his mouth when i was checking the heart rate.
>my cardiac has now become a choking and cardiac.
>roll him on his side, pop it out with a pen.
>heart holds its barely working status, so end up breathing for him for about 2min until on site EMS brings breather mask.

he ended up making it. dude's name is bryan.
>>
>>30784783
literally the same week.

>working front door on slow night.
>step outside and hold door to get some air.
>notice dude on bench by the door acting off.
>like he was just laying back in bed after a long day.
>talk to him, get a glance but its clear nobody is home.
>no EMS on site that night so call for ambulance and supervisor, per SOP.
>guy on the bench puts his hands up like he is celebrating, still no sound.
>fades out.
>lose pulse and breathing.
>put him on the AED, it hits at least three times before i got called off due to EMS being on scene.
>they transport the guy. didn't make it. OD'd. also named brian.
>>
>>30784277
Pussy game is pretty legit in upper middle class neighborhoods. Nurses, bank tellers, college chicks, girls with a decent future ahead of them find it hot. Some are straight up badge bunnies, hopping from one to the next but they're more susceptible to a (fit) guy in a uniform than they are a (fit) guy who doesn't wear one.
>>
>driving tow truck in orlando.
>get called out for a water recovery.
>chick lost it in a cloverleaf entrance ramp onto 417 and went straight in a retaining pond.
>get on scene and our flatbed hasn't got there yet. im in a wheel lift with a recovery boom but company calls second truck on those so they can charge more.
>car is fully submerged but i can see the roof.
>just me, her, and FHP. ambulance had already checked her out and left.
walk out and hook up.
>scion tc, so easy hook and drag.
>pull it out.
>kid in a car seat in the back.
>find it and call HP over.
>we both lost it on her and he hooks her up for a slew of charges.
>took me a couple weeks to get over that. she said she couldn't swim so she didn't go back for the kid and didn't tell the cop because she "didn't want to get in trouble."
>>
File: tumblr_o275zkaJPu1qb5gkjo1_500.jpg (11KB, 500x314px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o275zkaJPu1qb5gkjo1_500.jpg
11KB, 500x314px
Lurking. I fucking love these threads.
>>
File: image.jpg (78KB, 550x512px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
78KB, 550x512px
>>30784919
>>
>>30769097
>Doctors are always around to tell nurses what to do
Thread posts: 224
Thread images: 25

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.