[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello /k/ I've been looking into purchasing my first gun

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

File: image.png (368KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
368KB, 750x1334px
Hello /k/ I've been looking into purchasing my first gun and was wondering anyone had any suggestions for me. It would just be a starter and thus should be cheap fun to shoot would be nice. I was looking at the Remington 783 ( pic related) in .223 as my first one. Would like to try hunting with my uncle in the future and if not then starting a collection of sorts.
>>
>>30761985
.223 is relatively weak for hunting large game.
Try getting a .30-30 or a .30-06
>>
>>30762014
I'd love to. But unfortunately I'm in school and live with my parents was looking at a 308 but they wouldn't allow me to keep it at the house so I had to downsize the caliber because they don't want me to spend money on bigger rounds if I don't like shooting (I will). For hunting id likely borrow one of my uncles rifles. But I'd like to get some practice in before I tried actually shootin. Something. Only guns I've shot were pistols so long range I have no practice.
>>
>>30762014
Sorry not a 308 a 30/06
>>
SAVAGE AXIS II XP in .270, 6.5 Creedmoor or .308

thread /
>>
>>30762038
Yeah that's quite the pickle you are in.
I too am in school and living with the parents but they have always been pro funs
they only really disapproved of "military assault rifles" but that didn't stop me from starting a retro ar15 build.
Anyway I digress, I'm guessing you tried talking to them about it? Maybe bring up only using your own money for all of it.
>>
>>30762084
Did you even read the thread?
>>
>>30762038
>because they don't want me to spend money on bigger rounds if I don't like shooting
If you don't like shooting, you wouldn't be buying ammo anymore in the first place... Get the .308 or 30/06.
>>
>>30762088
I have talked to them. My dad owns like 4 or 5 different hand guns and has a cc permit which he uses whenever he leaves for anything but work. I think if I try hard enough they'd let me get something of a bigger caliber if I had some more experience shooting. Might ask my uncle for some suggestions about it and see if he'd take me to the range to test out his rifles. He has the same rifle I'm looking at getting just in the 30-06 caliber. So it would be good training for if and hopefully when I convince my parents to let me purchase it. Really I'm wondering if the gun would be a good choice for a starter. I read some of the reviews and they so its good for practice but I don't really trust online reviews because of how easily they can be faked. If anyone has suggestions on other rifles they'd be great and thanks everyone who's responding you're helping a lot
>>
you cant hunt anything bigger than a coyote with .223
>>
>>30762110
Well assuming you aren't underage you could just go out and get the gun you want.
I don't have too much experience other than the guns my old man and I use for hunting which are a Winchester model 94 and a Remington 700.
>>
>>30762093
Yes, and it is the perfect gun for him. I don't give a fuck if his parents said he could only have .223. Just lie and say 6.5 creedmoor is some weak caliber and they will be like "Okay."
>>
>>30762137
I think a better idea would be for him to see what kind of rifle ammo is most abundant locally so he wouldn't have to order stuff online.
>>
>>30762124
You can take deer with the right loads.

With M193 loads or some good hollowpoints you can hunt The Most Dangerous Game
>>
>>30762038
get a .270 man, one of the best all around cartridges. Or a .243, both have very little recoil and will take down deer no problem.
I've gotten 10 deer with my .243, just a great cartridge man.
>>
>>30762038
If this is just going to be a rifle for plinking and not hunting, get a .22. There's no reason to get an ill-suited hunting rifle that will be neglected when you buy something better. A .22 will be cheap to shoot and be great for small game.
>>
>>30762565
I remember once I had 60 grain hornady's for hunting deer and it was honestly the worst hunt.
Just inhumane to try and use anything that small even with the right loads.
>>
File: Cz452Aand22SparrowProfile.jpg (122KB, 1200x389px) Image search: [Google]
Cz452Aand22SparrowProfile.jpg
122KB, 1200x389px
OP, it sounds like you are very new to shooting and are not quite sure what you actually want.

you should really get a bolt action .22 as your first firearm, its the cheapest calibre you can get by a long shot (couple of cents per round) and it will be perfect for learning to shoot with, as well as small game hunting and having fun plinking. ask anyone and they'll tell you that everyone should have a bolt action .22

> looking at a 308 but they wouldn't allow me to keep it at the house so I had to downsize the calibre because they don't want me to spend money on bigger rounds if I don't like shooting
this sentence here makes no sense at all, the price of a rifle does not change with the calibre, a .223 rifle will cost the same amount as a .308 rifle. the price difference between a .223 round and a .308 round is totally irrelevant because you will only end up spending a little bit more on ammo compared to how much money you will be spending on everything else in the hobby. every calibre has its purpose, you dont "upgrade" from a .223 to a .308 for instance. they are just used for different purposes.

>>30762606
this anon hit the nail on the head. there is no point buying a random hunting rifle which you dont have any use for. you need to know what you want to do with your firearm, then figure out which firearm will be best suited to that. and by the sounds of it you are just learning, so a bolt action .22 is perfect
>>
>>30761985
rem 700 5r in 308
>>
>>30761985
dont buy remshit. for the love of god dont buy budget remshit cause every corner will be cut
>>
>>30762608
I'm just saying it's possible, not that it's ideal.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.