[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alright /k/ I have two mosin/gunsmithing related questions, also

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: Mosin nagant.jpg (43KB, 600x443px) Image search: [Google]
Mosin nagant.jpg
43KB, 600x443px
Alright /k/ I have two mosin/gunsmithing related questions, also I promise I'm not trying to shitpost my mosin is the first gun that I've been the legal owner of.
1: Will I lose any accuracy or shot consistency if I ditch the stock past the rear barrel band? (pic related). I plan to glass bed the receiver, if that makes any difference.
2: Are there any consequences for simply dissembling the bolt and holding it in a steel vice grip and holding a high-heat torch and then bending it in order to mount a scope? I've done similar things with rebar in the past so I'm fairly competent, and I also don't care if they bolt gets discolored from the heat.
>>
Also pic related isn't actually my mosin, just a 91/30 I found on google images.
>>
Ivan will not be happy
>>
>>30759748
Ivan can suck a fat one I paid 115$ for this. No hex bolt or anything fancy on mine so I'm not worried about messing it up.
>>
>>30759714
Why change it? The Mosin-Nagant has proven to be the best Bolt-action Rifle of the Second World War.
>>
Don't bother trying to accurize a Mosin. You will never wind up with something decent unless you essentially rebuild the rifle entirely, which completely negates the point of sporterization in the first place.

You'll save loads of time and sweat by just starting with a Savage Axis.
>>
>>30759714
>1: Will I lose any accuracy or shot consistency if I ditch the stock past the rear barrel band? (pic related). I plan to glass bed the receiver, if that makes any difference.
You will, the barrel needs tension.

A glass bed and a cork shim seem to work the best on a Mosin.

>2: Are there any consequences for simply dissembling the bolt and holding it in a steel vice grip and holding a high-heat torch and then bending it in order to mount a scope? I've done similar things with rebar in the past so I'm fairly competent, and I also don't care if they bolt gets discolored from the heat.

You don't want to heat and torch bend the bolt handle, you would fuck up the heat treat on the safety lugs on the bolt body. Either buy a bent bolt body (they are cheap), or cut the bolt handle off, bend the handle while it's off the body (probably want to add some material at the same time, lengthen it a bit), drill alignment holes in the bolt body and the new bent and extended handle, pin the bolt body and handle together, and silver solder them at the joint and pin to permanently attach them.
>>
>>30759941
>You'll save loads of time and sweat by just starting with a Savage Axis.
This, honestly.
>>
>>30759714
1. No. People often free float their mosins as part of bubba'ing them. Most who do see negligible or no difference at all.

2. Yes. The bolt handle isn't long enough for you to bend it and still be able to use it without butchering the stock as well. Also if you do bend it, you'll lose pretty much all of what leverage you have because of how short the handle is.

t. currently reverse engineering a mosin for a restoration project.
>>
>>30759848
take this >>30759941
advice about buying an axis
scoping a mosin is more trouble and money than the guns worth. especially now when the ammo costs more than 308.
you could probably flip the thing unfucked for double what you paid
>>
>>30759848

Don't be a fuck and ruin a piece of history.

Chopping the stock isn't going to make your gun a l33t SnIpEr rifle. As to bending the bolt, I assume you're looking to do this to mount a scope? If so, you'll spend more money actually mounting a scope properly than you would if you just went out and bought an actual sniper 91/30 scope preinstalled.

You are not the first person to come up with the great idea to put a scope on a Mosin, and there's a reason people don't.
>>
>>30760009

That's not how you use t. correctly.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.