/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My buddy wants to pick up an entry level AR soon, and I've

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

My buddy wants to pick up an entry level AR soon, and I've suggested a Ruger AR556 or an M&P15 Sport. I have a Saiga AK, but don't know a ton about ARs.

Ruger is $579, and M&P is $629 at the local funstore.

What would /k/ recommend?
>>
>>30758920
Move along, nothing to see here
>>
>>30758920
The Riger is solid, but it's not milspec due to every part being changed a little with a Ruger logo stamped on it.

The S&W is milspec and about the same quality. Though that price is just a little on the high side for one.
>>
i have a couple AR's one being a ruger 556. took it out of the box and shot a few hundred rounds ran great no issues.

the front sight post is stamped aluminum and kinda weird
the hand guard is also a lot slimmer than a traditional m4 carbines.
barrel and flashhider are their own sort of thing as well.
1:8 twist rate isnt bad either way and the internals are all milspec so id say go for it if he doesnt want to just pick up an upper parts kit or something.
>>
File: troy.jpg (72KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
troy.jpg
72KB, 900x600px
>>30758920
I got a fully built Troy for 600. Came with a sick ass key mod handguard with full picatinny on top. Didn't have sights doe.
>>
>>30758975
Not Op, just curious. Is milspec worth it? I keep hearing conflicting things about it.
One side says it's an arbitrary spec. The other side says it's better build quality.
>>
They're both good entry level guns. Get whichever is cheaper and use the saved money on ammo
>>
>>30758920
IRRC correctly the Ruger has some unique handguard system and a slightly different flash-hider. So it depends what kind of base you want to start working with. I have an M&P and I love it.
>>
>>30759063
There typically isn't much of a price difference. Mil spec is worth it in my opinion. It used to be that commercial was more popular than milspec, but that trend has changed. Milspec is more available, and it tends to be a little tougher than commercial. But you would probably never know the difference unless you seriously abused your rifle.
>>
I'm really considering the Colt AR15A4, I've heard great things and for a grand flat I can't really mope about the price
>>
File: 1452907427260.png (82KB, 500x501px) Image search: [Google]
1452907427260.png
82KB, 500x501px
>>30760068
>>
>>30760095
humor me, is there something I'm not in on? The only AR platform I've handled and truly liked was a DPMS AR10 and a Colt LE6920. Every other rifle I own is bolt action, minus my sks.
>>
>>30760057
>There typically isn't much of a price difference. Mil spec is worth it in my opinion. It used to be that commercial was more popular than milspec, but that trend has changed. Milspec is more available, and it tends to be a little tougher than commercial. But you would probably never know the difference unless you seriously abused your rifle.
The reverse, actually.

Milspec just means it must be at X level of quality. That level isn't actually terribly high, and the civilian market is willing to pay for better, so commercial is getting more popular and of higher quality.

Anyway OP both are nice, I personally really liked a buddy's Ruger AR556, it just felt really nice somehow compared to my PSA build, which itself I have no complaints about. Examine both, pick the one you like.
>>
>>30758975
Stop posting tripshit
>>
>>30760031
Thanks, he had mentioned switching the handguard on the Ruger to something with rails to mount a light... I'll tell him to research that a bit more.
>>
>>30758920
The S&W sport. I have one and it rocks.
>>
Get a Windham
>>
>>30760166
A colt is fine, you are paying for the name when it comes it AR 15s though. There are several now that are cheaper and equal or higher quality.
>>
M&P sport makes good dakka.
>>
>>30760068
But a BCM 20" govt profile upper and slap it on an inexpensive lower that has an A2 stock. Buy a removable carry handle, and some A2 handguards and boom. A much better rifle set up identically to the Colt AR-15 A4 for a lot cheaper.
>>
OP here again... which one has better sights?
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.