[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are you getting LASIK or PRK prior to enlisting? I'm not

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

File: birthcontrol.jpg (57KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
birthcontrol.jpg
57KB, 1280x720px
Are you getting LASIK or PRK prior to enlisting? I'm not sure which to get but I hear PRK is better.
Can you get DQ'd for doing this?
>>
>>30758600
>Can you get DQ'd for doing this?
If you tell them. Or if you're a fighter pilot and your eyes rupture under high g-force.
>>
>>30758600
>enlisting

Go to the damn general
>>
>>30758648
Pardon?
>>
You have to get PRK, if you go Active Duty ask your recruiter about it.
Should be able to have it set up after your in. Inserts fucking suck.
>>
>>30758600
Lasik is something you want to use if you never plan on having a physical altercation in your life. if you happen to get hit in the orbital socket area you will want to see an eye doctor soon otherwise you can have serious issues (blindness) since the flap in lasik never full seals again. So for people getting eye surgery that do heavy physical contact or deal alot in the brush with a higher chance for getting poked in the eye PRK is the way to go. This was coming from an ex air force eye doc that has been trying to get things passed so individuals can get eye surgery and still be pilots. He told me that for people in swat, grunts, or if you ever get into a fight PRK is the surgery you want since it doesn't have an increased risk of a flap reopening in the event of a potential eye injury. The opening is created thru the use of a chemical wash and then the cells are scraped to the side which allows the laser to do the work. they then move the cells back over and let the cells grow back. The downside to PRK is if the cells don't grow properly they have to scrape the cells again and to try and get proper cell growth, plus compared to LASIK it hurts like hell. LASIK uses a laser to create a flap opening unlike PRK, after the opening is made though both LASIK and PRK are pretty much identical. At least that is how those procedures were explained to me. I didn't go with either since I found out that either surgery option can make one's astigmatism worse, and well my eyes are fucked enough for shooting with red dots I don't want to add to it.
>>
>>30759638
sorry for the jumbled mess. The opening concerning the chemical wash is when you have PRK done.
>>
>>30758600
>Getting corrective surgery for your vision BEFORE you enlist

Are you fucking retarded? The military will give you PRK for free.

>Hurr I'm gonna get a surgery worth thousands of dollars so I can make minimum wage cleaning toilets while getting screamed at by alcoholics and possibly getting my nuts blown off by illiterate farmers.
>>
>>30759665
not OP, but how recent is your info? last I heard, PRK the procedure has improved. wondering if it was complete hell before and your info is the improvement, or it has improved beyond what you related
>>
>>30759870
I was looking at getting PRK done within the past 2/3yrs.

Now PRK is no radial keratotomy, in that RK hurts like a mother fucker at least that is what my Dad told me but in PRK there is slight after care discomfort from the chemical wash/cell scrape.

http://www.allaboutvision.com/visionsurgery/other.htm

Corrective eye surgery has come a very long way though. My dad had RK done back in the 90s, and then within the past 10 yrs he had to get cataract surgery done while having somewhat serious glaucoma issues. Had this been back in the 70s/80s his eyes would have been fucked, and he would prolly be blind now.
>>
File: 1468895263999.jpg (87KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1468895263999.jpg
87KB, 500x375px
USN paid for my PRK and corrected my vison to 20/15 in each eye from 20/200 AMA
>>
>>30760093
thanks for the link
my mom had it done through the air force, more recently, early 2000's I think. getting free prk is a big reason for me enlisting. OP is a dumbass faggot for wanting to get it done prior
>>
>>30758820
/k/ maintains a general so people don't have to hide 50 threads like this every day. Check the catalog before you make new threads.
>>
>>30760472
it is not a guarantee just so you know. there is a ranking system and you are ranked on how shitty glasses make your job and then the ability to get the surgery is ranked form there. it goes from 1-5 and if you are ranked a 3 and a 2 puts in for it you get bumped. some of the guys I had it done with had been waiting 8-10 years to get it done. it only took my application 3 months. not to shit on your parade but if you are some pog expect to be waiting a long time unless you are in some specialty job.
>>
>>30759870
Imo PRK is the way to go.
Like the other anons said, with LASIK you get a corneal flap that will never heal, and can become detached with physical trauma.
PRK is definitely uncomfortable, and you will definitely have a longer recovery time, but for me I felt that it was worth it.
Prepare to spend two days bed-bound after PRK, because it will be very uncomfortable, and near impossible to keep your eyes open. It feels like constantly having sand in your eyes. Also, during the first week or two, avoid light and any source of UV (sunlight, etc.), the UV can cook your unprotected eyes and cause it to become milky, not reversible.
It will be possible to go about your business by the third day, and vision will gradually improve over two weeks.
If necessary, you could go back for another go if your cornea is thick enough.
>>
>>30760435
How long ago? How is it now? What long term problems did they tell you about?
>>
But is there a cure for colorblindness?
Maybe I should have chosen to be an electrician?
>>
>>30760661
Shouldn't have. Fuck.
>>
File: 1431191098758.png (995KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1431191098758.png
995KB, 1920x1080px
>>30760626
>mfw the doc is telling me I have some of the thickest corneas she has seen

>>30760640
last august. it is still 20/15. they have you sit down and watch a 30 minute video comparing lasik and PRK and the complications of both. also how waiting for technology to advance is another option.
>>
>>30760544
shit. specialty job like what (besides combat/pilot roles)? I'm going in for munitions systems or cybersec
>>
File: 143119106549.png (139KB, 931x858px) Image search: [Google]
143119106549.png
139KB, 931x858px
>>30760661
There isn't. Maybe in the next life.
>>
>>30760746
It's ok fampai, I haven't blown myself up with 13.8kvolts yet. I really haven't had a real problem with it. What is your profession?
>>
>>30760746
Nasty life surprises: MEPS Edition
>>
File: 1463722688534.jpg (802KB, 1642x1094px) Image search: [Google]
1463722688534.jpg
802KB, 1642x1094px
>>30760691
coming from the person that runs the program at WRNMMC

>level 1
spec ops, pilots

>level 2
people the military spend a bunch of money on like nukes, midshipmen, officers

>levels 3/4
almost all combat personnel

>level 5
pogs and people who sit at computers.

you would fall into level 5
>>
>>30758600
>Corrective eye surgery
>Before enlisting

What the fuck is wrong with you

Get it AFTER you enlist. It's free.

I got my vision corrected to 20/10 on the Army's dime. The recovery sucked dicks but it was totally worth it
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.