[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I think I have some surface rust on the end of my guide rod on

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: file.png (163KB, 880x660px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
163KB, 880x660px
I think I have some surface rust on the end of my guide rod on my 10/22. The area that comes out from the spring when the bolt is locked back. Can I just use some 0000 steel wool on it and maybe some gun oil to remove it?

>Just buy another

Eh, this is the one it came with and I'd like to try removing rust. Never have before. Pretty sure every other piece is clean
>>
Been curious, do the Kidd guide rod sets really improve anything?
>>
File: gump.webm (2MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
gump.webm
2MB, 1280x720px
>>30753583
Yes.

>>30755341
No.
>>
>>30755357
Would CLP be ok? Or should I use this hoppes lubricating oil. If it matters, I've read CLP is ok
>>
>>30753583
>0000 steel wool on it and maybe some gun oil to remove it?
yup. but why did it form in the first place? don't you oil your shit? is your oil shit?
>>
>>30753583

Really just some oil and a rag would do it unless you have pitting. If you have pitting and access to a drill press, chuck it up in the drill press with some emory cloth and polish it.
>>
>>30755367
I'm not sure. It's my first gun and I think I made some mistakes with storing it in the case I did for a bit, and maybe also a combo of how it was stored before I bought it (Didn't buy it from a big 5 store, small local gun store). Everything else is fine and oiled that I've seen last time I took it apart.

>>30755396
How do I tell pitting? It doesn't look that bad, very lightly colored
>>
File: pitting.jpg (5KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
pitting.jpg
5KB, 275x183px
>>30755416

If it has actually started to eat into the metal you'll see what looks like little dents on the surface.

Unless you have pitting, don't use steel wool as you'll just remove what little is left of the bluing on that rod.
>>
>>30755507
Hm, alright. I can't notice that from just looking into the action with a flash light. When I take it apart tomorrow I'll look. It just looks like VERY light brown/red sort of on the end. I'm not really sure how much bluing is on it honestly.
>>
>>30755522

It'll largely get worn away by the spring, but no need to make it worse with abrasives when oil will do the job just fine.
>>
>>30755871
I'll try using CLP with some patches first. It's just the very tip and this steel wool is REALLY fine
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.