[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Military function during an apocalypse. How would the US military

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4

Military function during an apocalypse. How would the US military function during a time like this? I haven't seen too many zombie movies that have military action being shown. Lets assume though that the zombies are going by walking dead rules which is they don't run and anyone who dies turns unless by headshot. Would they be significantly smaller because of the amount of soldiers leaving to go to their families? Would they shoot everyone not in uniform on sight? Would they fall back to a few bases in each state or one large base? Would they use ships that are secure? Wouldn't we have enough firepower to take out all the "walking dead" and control the population?
>>
The reason you don't see the military active in zombie movies is because they would clean up in a week against anything short of l4d or I am legend zombies. Zombies just aren't threatening in the face of tanks and gunships, so writers either handwave them as already defeated or make the zombies impossibly bomb/bulletproof (looking at you max brookes).
>>
>>30746856
Zombie apocalypse is low tier walking dead even more so, military and milita can stop em.
>>
>>30746925
Man l4d zombies would be a true apocalypse...
>>
>>30746856
Unlike the other faggots who've already commented on this thread, I think it's worth mentioning that during a zombie apocalypse, soldier will defect to find and save their families. The military wouldn't be able to contain the virus, and only factions of the military will remain in tact, as the majority would become either infected or simply defected. There would be turmoil within the military ranks, with guys losing their shit, being the end of days and all. Besides, the military can only do so much when it gets outnumbered by the endless hoard of ZAHMBEES.
>>
>>30746925
>I am legend
>zombies
They where vampires brah
>>
>>30746998
Even with a small military I would think a hoard isn't anything a M240B wouldn't take care of with a few barrel changes in between, but having a military where high ranking men try to make the lower men leave with them could fuck things up if they take most of the equipment aswell.
>>
>>30747038
With that being said I would think most tank drivers wanting to get their families would take their tanks with them
>>
>>30747013
Still a virus, so like a vampire virus?
>>
File: image.jpg (49KB, 534x532px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
49KB, 534x532px
>>30746998
>defeat by being outnumbered
A single Apache would be able to mow down thousands upon thousands of zombies effortlessly. All the military would have to do is quarantine one carrier or AFB and launch gunships and other aircraft to mow down all zombies to take back control. And this isn't even accounting for MRAPs and armored land units that zombies would have no way to counter.
>>
>>30747105
Everyone who died turns though, would they gun down every single person and wait at the one place where human life remains then just kill any soldier that dies? What about the rest of the world outside the U.S.?
>>
>>30746856
28 Days Later.

>lock down chateau
>CO turns into maniac
>squad gos a little crazy
>experiment on zombies
>raep
>>
>>30747145
Given that it's a worldwide, apocalyptic outbreak then yes the military would quarantine in a large military establishment and kill any person that has turned, including zombies. There are plenty of huge military installations across the country where defense points could be made and are able to be self-sufficient. The end goal in this scenario is to wait out the infection until a cure is found or it is safe to leave the compound and try to re-establish civilization. The military also has easy ways to project power using its assets (gun ships, MRAPs, etc.) in creating safe zones in major population centers where anyone who is not turned can be able to live safely. If these areas become under heavy pressure, reinforcements can be sent in through air power to defend or evacuate any areas. Zombies really don't have any power, and the only real threat the military would face is someone infected getting into a quarantined area. This threat is easy to address with fuck tons of ammo and using any military vehicles or weapons.
>>
what about how people would react? Even if the military could completely eradicate the zombies wouldn't people lose their shit? Also a very significant percentage of the population (in 3rd world countries and such) would be turned so what would happen then? Thats assuming the virus would be able to gain traction which would be difficult in a country like America although if it happened in the middle east for example it could gain traction but
>>
Fear the walking dead.
>military finds small communities in the suburbs that have living residents.
>sets up fence and gourds
>makes safe zones all over and contains people inside the safe zone

Seems like a solid plan to me, just whenever someone dies they get burned until they clear out every dead walker and rebuild society.
>>
>>30747283
It didn't go too well in the show though.
>>
>>30747283
>gourd
Hey Wyatt do you know why Pvt. Gourd keeps letting the walkers touch the fence until guard change? He won't even move the whole time. Maybe he's toying with them.
>>
>>30747274
If the point of a zombie apocalypse was reached, the military would certainly take control and put the entire country on lockdown until the virus died down. Just have the national guards flood the streets in armored and armed vehicles to restore order. Looters and any criminals are shot on site. You'd be surprised how quickly people will settle down if gunships and convoys are constantly on patrol.
>>
Hmmm perhaps /k/ can answer this question better for me

I am hoping to run a roleplaying game where the characters are zombie survivors and I don't want them to be special "immune" people if I can avoid it.

Is there some good pseudo-scientific way I can explain a zombie virus spreading that would fall apart once civilization had been destroyed? Like it's in the water or something? Or it's bloodborne but ends up in blood donations? been trying to come up with a "realistic" way of doing this for a while... or at least believable.
>>
>>30747360
Airborne and can spread by germs, you will experience flu-like symptoms at first and then the virus will sit dormant until you die.
>>
>>30747086
yea, something like that. But they were attracted to blood, the sun burned them, and in Omega Man they where straight up vampires.
I agree with every other part of the post though.
>>
>>30747360
Just make it so the virus can be treated with pills, which your survivors had access to prior to the game starting. Now the pills have run out (societal breakdown=pills no longer being produced) and they're no longer resistant. I think that zombie game set in the mall had a similar system.
>>
If this was the French military they would just surrender and let the zombies parade in the streets
>>
>>30747360

Do you mean a realistic way in which a zombie outbreak occurs but then falters and stops on its own? Sorry, either I'm too drunk or your question is worded strangely

If you mean what I think you mean you could just have all your survivors come from turbo-rural areas where they didn't even know what was happening till it was over, and if you need an explanation for why it failed, you could just make it be because the zombos die after a given period of time. IE it spread as they infected new victims, but either a) they can't feed on each other or b) they can feed on each other so after the fresh blood goes they eat each other into extinction, but I'd imagine that'd have to be a pretty fast-paced infection for it to work that way

Either way the turbo-rural people turn out okay without having immunity
>>
>>30747360
>stds with long incubation and few/ no noticeable side effects
>spreads crazy fast
>isn't caught till tons of people have it
>not much research is done because it seems relatively harmless

you could work in religious undertones and have cults and stuff be part of the game
>>
>>30747654

I'm >>30747615 but I like this better. Some wild-ass strain of an existing STD combined with something like toxoplasmosis or something, you could make it part of your story to where by the time a researcher even discovers the mutated strain it's too late to save humanity, then all of your survivors are just anyone who hasn't banged anyone in a given timeframe
>>
>>30747615

What I mean is, it's basically like the walking dead or max brooks zombies, but the plague has some way of initially infecting large numbers of people, that peters off later.

If a zombie virus started it wouldn't go far because people would eventually figure out to kill the zombies and military would BTFO them.

But an army that's already mostly turned would be pretty ineffective. Even tanks run out of ammo eventually.

>>30747504
>let the zombies parade in the streets

Given recent events that might be a good way to wipe them out.
>>
File: image.png (173KB, 580x381px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
173KB, 580x381px
>>30747415
Dead Rising

If you get bit there's a drug that will keep you alive for 24 hours and you have to take it every day or else you are kill.
>>
>>30746856
Wtf have none of you ever read world war Z ?
>>
>>30746856

They'd function fine unless/until the logistical train broke down. Three meals later (as with society) and you've got a clusterfuck.

Of course realistically speaking an infestation would be dealt with long before that started to be an issue unless it was something airborne or perhaps a slow-working thing in the water (so a large number of soldiers get hit too) but if either of these happen we're all fucked.
>>
>>30750726
>US Loses battle of Yonkers because fuck you.
>Somehow entire US Military and Civilian infrastructure was riding on this battle and collapses dooming socieity. now the survivors have to retreat over 2/3rd of country behind the Rockies instead of the fucking Delaware River.
>>
>>30747086

If anything modern Zombies are heavily based on the original I am Legend book.
>>
>>30747360
skeeters

zambo skeeters

you heard of west nile virus

now prepare for

ZAMBO SKEETERS
>>
>>30747360
I know a way.
>Meteor explodes mid-air scattering lots of virus
>virus is kinda weak but there is a shit ton
>if you're exposed too much, you become zombie
>if you're exposed not too much, you'll be immune
>chances are zombies won't even have the virus. (They still act the same way because brain damage obviously)
>>
>>30746934
>>30746925

Something I never really got about zombie movies is when a couple years go by how would they even survive winter and other changes throughout the year.
>>
>>30746856
THE BATTLE OF YONKERS PISSED ME THE FUCK OFF.

All the military has to do is drive Abrams in lines down the streets of New York. Just run down all the fuckers. Abrams are NBC prepared, and the exhaust from their engines is super hot.

For added fun, break out some WWII era minesweepers with the spinning chains.
>>
>>30747654
Finally, virgins will inherit the Earth!
>>
>>30752974
Yeah. And when they were closing in on Yonkers in the massive column, why didn't they use air power to drop napalm on them?
Should have never reached the front line.
>>
>>30753385
The more I think about that book, the angrier I get.
The big crowd of people fighting the zombles in New York with baseball bats and shit was great.
>>
>>30746856
>How would the US military function during a time like this?
business as usual...the no difference than how they always operate...remember FUBAR and SNAFU.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.