[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Currently 28 and in college, but thinking about going into the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2

File: airnationalguardlg.jpg (20KB, 296x300px) Image search: [Google]
airnationalguardlg.jpg
20KB, 296x300px
Currently 28 and in college, but thinking about going into the Air National Guard. I'm the first generation of my family to have not gone into the Military (others served Army and AF). I never thought of the Military as being for me when I was younger because I was an anti-establishment edgelord, but in the past few years I've become much more mature and patriotic, and most of my friends have gone into the military and regard it as a positive experience. I think it would be great to serve and the National Guard would allow me to finish school at the same time.

I understand National Guard goes through the same BMT as active duty. Have any of you gone in at an older age? What are BMT and Technical School like as an older recruit?
>>
>>30727724
How are you patriotic if national guard is you're choice?
>>
>>30727724
Also, from the perspective of someone serving, how are the National Guard and Reserves different?
>>
>>30727724
Do it

I'm 28 and in college too, but only because I served my country for the last 6 years active duty in the AF.

It was a great decision for me personally and I had some of the best memories of my life overseas in the MIL thus far, so I highly recommend it.
>>
>>30727724
You get treated like a child obviously. So hang in there and brute it out. Things get better.
>>
>>30727744
>attention whore summerfag
>>
>>30727745
I'm in the Army guard, and the real difference is where the money comes from state funds go to the guard and federal to the reserves. In the Army, the guard has all of the same specialties that the active component has, whereas the reserves has specific jobs that individually augment the active component.
>>
>>30727772
Is it true that people in active duty Air Force are the happiest military members? You sound happy.
>>
>>30727744
did you read the part where he's still in school
>>
>>30727744
Kill yourself
>>
>>30727744
Hey faggot, the national guard has saved every cat that ever gets stuck in a tree.
They are the guys that get called when grandmas pool overflows.
We need them to do jobs actual soldiers are too busy to do.
Fuck your shit faggot.
>>
>>30727724
I'm ANG, my dorm chief in bmt was a 38 year old ANG. I went through at 21 and even only a 3 year difference between me and the bulk of the other recruits was annoying, he must have bored out of his mind or just annoyed at the whole thing. If your fit your biggest problem will probably just be finding a way not to fall asleep since air force basic is so ridiculously boring. Guard is literally the best thing you can do in the military though. Get to TDY and deploy, get paid fantastically and most of the benefits while still getting to live at home.
>>
>>30727744
>Literally protecting the homeland from domestic and foreign threats
>Going to the asshole of the world to try and metaphorically scrape shit off of shit mountain.

Which one is more patriotic?
>>
>>30727745
>>30727973
this, also the guard is controlled by the governor of the state in which you join. The governor can deploy them within the country to assist with disasters, riots, etc. Depending on the state, they might get additional benefits that reserves won't, because reserves are managed federally
>>
>>30727745
Also going guard fucks you for federal benefits. It counts as Title 32 orders meaning the state you work for pays for it not the fed. You dont gain certain perks and benefits through that.
>>
>>30727990
If you're not maintenance or security forces, yes.
>>
>>30730353
What are some of the best jobs?
>>
>>30728469
...well technically guardies got sent to shit mountain all the time
>>
Can anyone tell me how competitive ANG pilot positions are?

I am about to have my private pilot's license, and was considering committing to applying to the board every chance over the next few years.
>>
>>30733281
I'm gonna be a freshman in college and am already trying to line one up.

It's highly political and knowing certain people helps a fuckton. My CFI was on the board of selection for a local unit and has gotten 4 of his private students slots there, he's offered to put in a good word for me. That being said, it's not impossible to get a slot.

Apply to 7-8 places and try to get interviews. If you're lucky, qualified, and (most importantly) not autistic, you should be able to get a slot.

It's also 10x better than flying active duty since active duty AF pilots only fly for about 6-8 years before they're flying an administrative desk. In the ANG and AFR, you should be flying up until your late 40s.

Basically, apply to as many AFR and ANG squadrons as you can.
>>
>>30728469
What domestic threats have the national guard protected us against?
>>
>>30733847
Well, the Air National Guard flies the majority of the US air interdiction sorties, the Army National Guard provides disaster relief among other state missions on top of being a rotational force to augment the Active component.
>>
>>30733847

One example:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1992_Los_Angeles_riots
>>
>>30733805
What is the actual schedule like though?

I would rather not get stuck spending half my time away from home.
>>
Not OP, but I’m also interested in joining my state’s National Guard. I'm most interested in the Army, specifically in the Combat Engineer MOS.

I have two main questions:

1. How long is the training and induction process for new officers?
2. How much warning do you have before a long (months to years) active deployment?

In my day job, I'm an engineer at a big (pro-Guard and Reserve member) tech company. I could probably go on a leave of absence for long active duty deployments, but I'd hate to leave my team in the lurch if I didn't have enough time to plan work stuff accordingly.
>>
>>30728503
>live in CA
>gov controls guard
Nopenopenopenopenopenope
Gavin Newsom controlling a military.
The federal government aint gonna do shit either.
>>
>>30737534

here. To be clear, I imagine I could also likely wrangle a leave of absence for the 10 weeks (+ 1 of travel, realistically) to complete basic training.
>>
>>30737581
>>30737534

here again, another question:

3. After basic and OCS, do officers also complete Advanced Individual Training for their particular MOS? Officers aren't (in theory) just generic paper pushers, right?
>>
>>30733805
One of the pilot schools near me is run by a former high up. Maybe I should get in touch.
>>
>>30733108
Literally anything besides maintenence and security forces.
>>
>>30727724

I'll be going to ots at age 32, but I'm prior service and I run triathlons so I'll be laughing through it most likely.

From the looks of bmt on youtube it looks like a joke. So long as you're not a fatty armchair general it seems like you'll be fine.
>>
File: image.jpg (122KB, 1800x1104px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
122KB, 1800x1104px
>>30737447
From my limited understanding, you can either work on base part time or full time.

Part time allows you to have a normal job, you go to the base once or twice a month and get to fly. Of course you also have to do some administrative work but whatever.

Full time has it as your main job, not sure what the benefits of that are.
>>
>>30742046
Thanks, I just wanted to know if it would be possible to balance it with the pursuance of further education.
>>
>>30737115
Oooh yeah .... Good point.
>>
What are the pros and cons of the different branches?

I'm 20, graduating this year from an Ivy League school. I've been getting more fit and patriotic in the last couple years and I have no idea what direction to go in post-college so I've been considering military lately.
>>
>>30743040
Why do you want to go military.

What do you want to do.
>>
>>30744481
Ideally an intelligence job (whether in the military or government)

I need some sort of drive/passion and I sincerely love America and know the military could give me a purpose. Plus I have no work experience and know the military could help set me up after for whatever I decide to do. Also I haven't seen shit of the world outside of eastern US/Canada and the military would give me plenty of travel opportunities. Also my dad and uncle both served and still talk about it fondly.

I don't want to be a bored millennial sitting in my parents' house two years after graduation working some shit job complaining about how being an adult is hard
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.