[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/k/, Brit here. I work freelance doing concept design and illustration,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 19

File: image.jpg (226KB, 900x675px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
226KB, 900x675px
/k/, Brit here. I work freelance doing concept design and illustration, need to know more about guns.

My question to you: the Desert Eagle - actually a good gun with stoppin powah, or an overpriced piece of junk loved only by Arabs, wankers and Hollywood propmasters?
>>
File: mateits.jpg (16KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
mateits.jpg
16KB, 600x600px
Kill yourself, retard.
>>
File: MrPickles.png (2MB, 1920x1041px) Image search: [Google]
MrPickles.png
2MB, 1920x1041px
what gun is that OP I've never seen it before is it a famas?
>>
File: image.jpg (186KB, 1366x1092px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
186KB, 1366x1092px
>>30727342
I'm completely serious. Could you guys perhaps show me some alternative high-calibre pistols?
>>
>>30727373
High calibre pistols are a meme
>>
Hi.

Do you have something that weighs about 5 lbs? If it's more or less the same shape as a gun, all the better.

Pick it up and pretend it's a gun. Extend your arms and pretend you're aiming at something like a lamp or whatever. Try to keep the "sights" on target. Then, keep in mind that the center of gravity for an actual one will likely be further forward than whatever you're holding.

Try strapping it to your waist. Just walk around your house with it strapped to you. Sit down and then stand up a few times.

It's big. It's bulky. It's heavy as fuck.

In .357, it's a fun range toy (But I'd rather get a Coonan). In .44 and .50, it's mostly good for silhouette shooting or hunting (if it's legal to do so with one in your area).
>>
>>30727381
In terms of design, functionality, efficiency, engineering, aesthetics, etc what does /k/ consider to be the best pistols?

I'm designing a series of humanoid robots at the moment, I want to give the police variants some realistically-designed oversized handguns.
>>
>>30727405
Something in .45

Anything bigger is impractical for anything but big game hunting. Even then you'd use a rifle or slugs instead.
>>
>>30727405

Oversized handguns don't make sense. That's the thing.

The powder doesn't fucking burn in that short a barrel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGYpnzhYzW0

You also will get problems of overpenetration (not something that the police would want), higher operating costs (DEFINITELY do not want), would shatter the eardrums of anyone in an enclosed area when they go off... There are so many problems with the idea it's not fucking worth it.

>>30727426

Even then, there is no significant difference in terminal ballistics between 9x19, .40 S&W and .45 ACP.
>>
I'm going to reply to this strongly suspecting this is a troll thread.

If you're looking for large calibers, the desert eagle is interesting in that most large caliber handguns are revolvers. Other revolver large calibers include the smith and Wesson 29, made famous by the movie Dirty Harry. It's in .44 magnum. More modern revolvers include guide revolvers designed to take down charging Grizzlies.

If you want something large caliber that isn't silly (since most all large calibers are silly by definition) look at good ok 1911s. .45 acp is bigger but useful.
>>
File: small edc.jpg (588KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
small edc.jpg
588KB, 720x1280px
It is an impractical gun, to be sure. Bulky, heavy, and low capacity are not copacetic to combatives.

But it is not a bad gun. Whereas most pistol rounds suck complete shit at stopping threats (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tku8YI68-JA) .50AE will definitively and absolutely put a motherfucker down with a shot to center mass.

>but it weighs a ton!
Yes, the traditional model weighs 5lbs. This does not make it unshootable by any means but it does make lugging it around a chore. However consider this: one of the newest models, the mark XIX L6, weighs 3 pounds 7 oz making it much more comfortable.

>but the recoil will break your wrists and the muzzle flash will blind you!
I own one. These are both bullshit. The recoil is surprisingly soft due to the weight of the gun and the gas system soaking up the force. It is very easy to stay on target and make quick follow up shots if you have good form. The flash is a non-issue.

>but the capacity is shit!
Yes it is. Seven rounds is piss poor, but consider that this is identical to a 1911. Except each one of those 400gr hollow points are frighteningly potent.

tl;dr; no one would willingly choose to carry one into a fight, but if you did, you wouldn't be outgunned
>>
>>30727405
Wouldn't something with a small fast armor-piercing round be better? Something like a five-seven, P90, or MP7.
>>
>>30727329
LAR Grizzly is a much better high caliber pistol my dude.
>>
File: 1006 S&W.jpg (53KB, 634x425px) Image search: [Google]
1006 S&W.jpg
53KB, 634x425px
>>30727329
>actually a good gun with stoppin powah, or an overpriced piece of junk loved only by Arabs, wankers and Hollywood propmasters?
It's massively misrepresented by media.

What it is, is a sporting pistol, it has phenomenal inherent accuracy and very light recoil, but it's ill fitted as conceal carry weapon or combat weapon because it's not designed with that in mind at all.

>>30727373
Gonna suggest an older Smith & Wesson 1006 pistol, 10x25mm Auto, it's a solid steel build and has good chamber support, so unlike say, the Colt Delta Elite in the same caliber, it can withstand old style Norma loads of 10mm Auto with no issues.

>>30727405
If you're gonna fight armored robots I would instead suggest something like a 7.62x51mm battle rifle with armor piercing loads.

If you want a big pistol, I'll suggest a Beretta, they're only available in 9mm and .40S&W, but theoretically, one could be made in 10mm Auto, give it a Brigadier slide to allow it to handle stronger loads.
>>
File: mk23.jpg (16KB, 535x336px) Image search: [Google]
mk23.jpg
16KB, 535x336px
>>30727441
.45ACP isn't a noticeable step up in terminal performance over 9mm Luger or .40S&W, at least step up to .45 Super, like say, in the H&K Mk.23 pistol, which actually is big and bulky like OP wants.
>>
>>30727916
>Short-recoil Magnums in anything much bigger than .357
Hardly the best.
>>
File: Untitled-1.png (301KB, 1000x571px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.png
301KB, 1000x571px
>>30727426
>>30727440
>>30727441
>>30727620
Thanks for all the input. It's been an interesting few hours looking through YouTube vids of guns being stripped and pics on Pinterest.

>>30727539
Thanks for that, I appreciate the insight.

>>30727916
I don't know if I'm being memed on here or not but I love the look of that visually. Especially the version with the barrel extending past the slide.
>>
Friend of mine has one in .44mag - thats what he said anyway, I didnt exactly check on the barrel.

"Humongous" is the term that comes to mind, tbqh.

He said that it was quite pleasant to shoot. The massive slide would take out most of the recoil's oomph. Provided of course that you have the arms to lift it.
>>
>>30727329
read the sticky

no seriously it helps. if you just dont have the time at least skim over it and read the basics.

also, no the Dessert Eclair (tm) is an overpriced meme gun. its fun to shoot and thats about it.
>>
>>30728913
It's not just the slide, the slide has a rotating bolt head with radial locking-lugs, and the action is operated with a gas piston.
Couple all of this with it's weight and there's a lot to work against the recoil.

>>30729015
You could use it for some forms of target shooting, or hunting, as it's very accurate.
>>
File: image.jpg (236KB, 708x847px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
236KB, 708x847px
>>30727388
Dubs gets it.
>>
File: Future Police.png (195KB, 1000x571px) Image search: [Google]
Future Police.png
195KB, 1000x571px
>>30727388
>>30729172
Somehow missed that. Thanks, puts it in perspective a little better. Then again if I'm designing a gun for a machine, does the weight and recoil matter that much?

>>30729015
Will do.
>>
>>30729650

Even if it's a machine carrying it, all the stuff I said in >>30727440 still stands.
>>
File: Desert Eagle .50AE Side Black.png (171KB, 652x556px) Image search: [Google]
Desert Eagle .50AE Side Black.png
171KB, 652x556px
>>30727373
Check out the AMT Automag and the LAR Grizzly Win Mag. Both are interesting pistols. As for the Desert Eagle, it's a fantastic gun in terms of accuracy and reliability, but the fact is it's not really practical for anything other than a range toy or an antibear/antimoose gun unless you're using the .357 variant.
>>
File: dardick.jpg (46KB, 900x678px) Image search: [Google]
dardick.jpg
46KB, 900x678px
>>30727405
as some people pointed out 10mm auto has highest efficiency when it comes to high powered pistol cartridges.

Or alternatively you could try to "futurise" some of those crazy late 50s/early 60s designs like Dardick and Gyrojet.

First is magazine fed revolver, second is a rocket pistol.
>>
>>30727373
.454 Revolvers are pretty fucking badass. literally just pick any model, if its a revolver in .454, its good.
>>
>>30729830
>reliability
As someone who likes the Deagle for what it is, no it's not, it's picky with ammo, usually requiring higher powered loads, and the gas system needs to be cleaned frequently, you can't treat it like a 1911, Glock or other short recoil automatic because it's way more mechanically advanced and sensitive.

Also the magazines are by far it's weakest link, as the gun will literally begin misfeeding if you don't let it hang freely on the magcatch (like say, if you're teacupping the gun, which you're not supposed to anyway).
>>
>>30729709
>Even if it's a machine carrying it, all the stuff I said in >>30727440 still stands.
Overpenetration and cost, yes.
Powder burn is bullshit, 6" is way more than enough for fast burning pistol powder in big bore handgun.
Concussion (not as bad as he seems to think it is) would be a plus.
>>
>>30729650
Oh, it's for a machine to use? What about something that attaches to its arm instead of its hand? It could do some kind of quick detach thing where it leaves the hand grabbing on to a handle out something next to the gun holster. Add a targeting sensor, keep the bore axis centered on the forearm for better recoil management, and you have something much more efficient than a gun designed for human hands.

It'll also be different from what a conventional handgun would look like, which might ruin the aesthetic you're going for.
>>
>>30728440
LAR Grizzly comes in .45 Win Mag, .357 Mag, .44 Mag, and .50 AE.
>>30728551
The LAR Grizzly isn't a meme hah. It's relatively uncommon, since it had a pretty limited production.
>>
>>30727329
>>30729650
Given the size of the robit relative to the human, id reccomend drawing some more futuristic looking 5/7 chambered in 5.56x45 so that the large caliber and equaly large hand grips would fit a robit hand
>>
>>30728551
That robot design looks a bit too busy, imo.

That said, the art is pretty nice
>>
File: Bigger Gun.png (187KB, 1000x571px) Image search: [Google]
Bigger Gun.png
187KB, 1000x571px
>>30729867
I've heard of the Gyrojet before, but the Dardick is new to me. Fascinating stuff.

>>30729890
Will take that under consideration, although I'm pretty sure Patlabor already did that.

>>30730929
I had considered something that attaches to the arm, but it doesn't make the same visual impact as an identifiable gun. I like the idea that it somehow attaches to the hand though, thanks for that.

>>30731575
I really like it. If I could legally own handguns, I'd buy one.

>>30731823
Thanks for that. Here's what I've got so far.

>>30731993
I started out today planning to refine the robot. Instead I've spent all day learning about guns.
>>
>>30732639
>Instead I've spent all day learning about guns.

Hey, it's never a bad time to learn about guns.
>>
File: FK_BRNO_75_FK_caliber_pistol[1].jpg (212KB, 650x488px) Image search: [Google]
FK_BRNO_75_FK_caliber_pistol[1].jpg
212KB, 650x488px
The MK23 (.45 Super), or any production pistol chambered in 10mm should be fine for the scenario you described.

If you really want bulky and balls to the wall, go FK BRNO. It's just a scaled up CZ-75. If you want a different aesthetic, take design cues from the BRNO as far as the recoil spring and replace the rest with whatever pistol you like.
>>
>>30732639
Things to note, firing rifle cartridges out of pistol length barrels like you have in that picture is going to result in poor performance of the round and a large portion of that powder burning off outside the gun. I'd say use larger pistol rounds, don't use rifle rounds.
>>
>>30727329
Desert Eagle is a fine gun. But it is big, bulky, and very expensive. In .50ae the gun is impractical for anything but a range toy.

What exactly are you looking for? A big, badass gun a character would carry?

If you're going for realism the biggest thing would probably be a .44 mag resolver. If realism doesn't matter at all a .500 s&w revolver
>>
>>30732639
a .50bmg pistol would just spew unburnt gunpowder everywhere
>>
>>30727329
What do you need to illustrate?

Pic related S&W .500 revolver compared to 9mm
I know a guy that has one as a glove compartment gun in his ranch truck. Something about being able to stop a bull or wild boar with a handgun. He has a fairly vanilla 12 ga shotgun in the gun rack.
>>
File: image.jpg (702KB, 2048x2048px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
702KB, 2048x2048px
>>30733413
It's making me wish I could own some. They're a designer's wet dream.

>>30733611
That is amazing, thank you.

>>30733662
>>30733687
Duly noted.

>>30733677
I'm going for realism in the sense of a futuristic handgun designed for big mechanical hands. I see people complain all the time about comic artists and illustrators drawing ridiculous shit that wouldn't work and don't want to fall into it myself.

>>30733728
This is personal work. I've got an idea for a world that's my take on cyberpunk - pretty sure it's just as tired and hackneyed as everyone else's, but I'm doing it for practice and to build a portfolio I can toss across desks to try and get a full-time studio job.
>>
File: 13100652.jpg (73KB, 1024x448px) Image search: [Google]
13100652.jpg
73KB, 1024x448px
>>30733887
>I'm going for realism in the sense of a futuristic handgun designed for big mechanical hands. I see people complain all the time about comic artists and illustrators drawing ridiculous shit that wouldn't work and don't want to fall into it myself.
>>
>>30727329
GET OUT BRITKEK
>>
>>30727620
csgoaway
>>
>>30733887
that actually looks pretty sick
>>
>>30733887
One thing you should also bear in mind for law enforcement purposes is that their guns are not expressly meant to kill. They often use smaller calibers like 9x19 even in weapons capable of carrying larger calibers just so that if they miss, hit a plaster wall, ricochet or anything like that, the chances of lethal injury are significantly reduced.

It's also for noise concerns. Bigger caliber creates a bigger bang and they don't want officers carrying around guns that will deafen everyone (especially the officer) in the immediate area. I guess it's not such a concern for ROBOTS but still.

I get it's for media but autism endures.
>>
>>30733887
Nice always good to build up resume... Texan from USA living in Britain sometimes I feel like a Alien.
Cyberpunk has lots of potential you can go retro or you can imply cyborgs and enhancements and go for hand cannons.
Smart bullets, virtual aiming systems, guns with cameras with link so you shoot around corners or do two gun gun mojo at different targets. Smart grenades that jink down at specified range for example.

Damn I have guns in US I have not shot in years. I miss deer hunting in the big thicket. No one here knows what's it like. No one here knows how to dress down a deer. About to go work at hospital I am going to ask folks today if they have ever been hunting. Gonna get "You are a weird Yank" response I am sure.
>>
>>30727329
The Desert Eagle, along with the .500 Smith & Wesson are toys for big game hunters who have grown bored with using rifles, so they reach to these high caliber pistols for some fun.

To be quite honest, I'd fucking carry one for shits and giggles. Imagine conceal carrying a fucking DE during a robbery, simply pulling it out alone would be enough lol
>>
File: Hardpoint Gun.png (170KB, 1000x781px) Image search: [Google]
Hardpoint Gun.png
170KB, 1000x781px
>>30734476
The idea I'm going for here is that poor people increasingly have to augment themselves to stay useful and anywhere near employable - so lowlifes and gangbangers tend to be almost entirely mechanical, unrecognisable as human. Cops would be aiming to blow heads and limbs off to stop them. Only the wealthy can afford vastly superior biological enhancement (designer organs, gene editing, etc) and stay well away from the majority of the population on little floating island-style gated communities around all the major cities (it's become a point of pride for them that they never touch the ground, enhancements such as wings, lightweight skeletons, etc are all very popular) and generally people with any level of mechanical augmentation aren't allowed across the threshold (the exceptions being old, experienced security personnel still outfitted with first-generation mechanical implants).

>>30735920
I'd like to apologise for just how fucking retarded this country has become with regard to weapons of any kind, especially in the metropolitan areas.

Thanks for all the ideas, I might try and draw up some kind of futuristic Gyrojet that fires rounds that can track into a target.

>>30736136
I'm going to look into revolvers tomorrow, along with rifles and shotguns. I may bother /k/ again for input when I've got some designs solidified.

Thanks to everyone for the input, especially >>30733611 and >>30728428 for pointing out the FK BRNO and H&K M23. I'm off to bed.
>>
File: Counterweight Fixed.png (169KB, 1000x769px) Image search: [Google]
Counterweight Fixed.png
169KB, 1000x769px
>>30736765
God dammit I fucked up the counterweight.

Night, /k/. Thanks for all the help.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.