[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>$400+ for an optic What's the point? Are they really

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 4

File: image.jpg (20KB, 259x195px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
20KB, 259x195px
>$400+ for an optic
What's the point? Are they really that much better than something in the $100-200 range?

What are some good options for those of us who can't spend that much or are on a budget?
>>
>>30669114
Is Rush back today? He took Thursday and Friday off for a golfing thing and I haven't checked yet.
>>
>>30669122
Yea he's on now brother man
>>
>>30669114

Bump
>>
>>30669114
>what's the point
1. being actually able to see things instead of a mucky yellow glass that loses half the light
2. not having your sights lose zero the first time you fire the gun as the cheap mount and cheap optics bounce around.
3. being able to dial in adjustments reliably

If you're a poorfag, your life isn't worth the $400.
>>
>>30669414

Thank you anon
>>
>>30669114
>something in the $100-200 range?

What kind of airshit optics do you own?
>>
>>30669114

I own a 4k scope form schmidt & bender, step up your game lmao
>>
>>30669114
>something in the $100-200 range

Almost everything in that price range is utter trash, and the ones that aren't are barely adequate with generally shit QC.

>$400+
>What's the point?

The point is not to have total trash for an optic.

>What are some good options for those of us who can't spend that much or are on a budget?

If you're a terminal poorfag, stick with irons rather than spending $100 on garbage.
>>
So much pretentiousness in this thread. Are you people really that elitist mall ninja trash that defines yourself by how much money you can drop on a red dot? Jesus Christ.
>>
Just stick with irons then?
Optics make it easier and more convenient, but if you can't afford it, why would getting one that'll most likely give you negative experiences even be worth the $100-200 in the first place?
>>
>>30669703
>Vortex
>Lifetime no questions asked warranty
>Utter trash
Holy shit, I now know why Fiji and smart water is still a thing!
>>
>>30669747
All of my expensive glass is on my fudd rifles. What's mallninja about hunting?
>>
File: IMG_0080.jpg (327KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0080.jpg
327KB, 1280x960px
>>30669114
I bought pic related for about $650 just because it matched my gun.

>TFW i bought one of the last ones in Circulation not from an auction website
>>
>>30669747

no, we enjoy not having to replace an optic every two range trips because it broke.

also we can afford something that costs a bit of money and can save for the long-term unlike you, which is why you'll never not be poor.
>>
>>30669785

Nothing from Vortex that is worth considering is sub $200, faglord.
>>
>>30669795

>Spending money means we can save!

Retard logic.
>>
>>30669815
He means they are capable of saving up their money to buy better optics you retard.
>>
>>30669747
I've found that you can generally skimp a little bit on a red dot (spend somewhere in the neighborhood of 200) and be okay. It'll be a bit bulkier, maybe not have the best battery life, and probably won't survive a house fire or some ridiculous shit, but they hold zero and are generally okay.

Cheap scopes, on the other hand, are just not worth it.
>>
>>30669815
Why buy a home when you can rent forever? :^)
>>
Primary arms
Vortex
TRS-25
Etc.

Are pretty good mid range choices
>>
>>30669803
Crossfire scopes
>>
>>30669114

Yes, much worth it. If you don't want to put that much money in it, than you're prob off with just iron sights.
>>
>>30669114
>>$400+ for an optic
>What's the point? Are they really that much better than something in the $100-200 range?

Totally not bro. Why buy a nice SUV for your family of 5 when a bicycle is much cheaper and can roll just as well?

Why get a rifle at all if you dont want to be able to clearly see what you're shooting at?
>>
It depends on what range you're shooting at. For longer ranges (400+ yards) it makes a huge difference to have a good optic. If you define a budget, I can give recommendations. I live for long range.
>>
I've read good reviews on Lucid and Primary Arms red dots. ($2-300)

Are they now trash for some reason?
>>
File: 0718161411a.jpg (2MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
0718161411a.jpg
2MB, 4160x2340px
The best bang for your buck in the scope world would be the Nikon Prostaff and the Vortex Diamondback. Noth 3-9x zoom 40mm versions are crystal clear, hold their zero perfect, adjust accuartley, all things that your 100-200 dollar scopes wont. Depending on when and where you buy them, cost in the 200-300 dollar range.
>>
>>30669803
Strikefire II is 180 bitch and it's actually decent
>>
>>30669414
SWFA are damn good for the money though.

There are cheap gems, but you really have to look for em.
>>
I own a $100 Bushnell optic and it's reliable and suits my needs.

Unless I were in competition or some felt like my accuracy was being limited by my optic I wouldn't spend over $100.
>>
>>30669815

it does, actually. one of the hallmarks of the upper class is that they are able to afford more durable goods instead of being forced to buy non-durable cheap goods. it's why the landed monied classes in England will wear Grandpa's suit from Savile Row re-tailored with Dad's old boots and drive around in a Land Rover from 1962.
>>
>>30669114
$400 isn't even cracking mid tier.

I would shoot irons before fucking with a $100 scope.
>>
Sometimes you can catch a lower end Zeiss on sale or on a trade in deal for close to $200.

That said, there's no replacement for true quality glass. This is obvious if you've ever looked through any. Consider your needs and accommodate those, fuck everyone else.
>>
A few good points already:
Stick with irons, save up, consider the intended application (shtf vs competition vs wannabe operator)

I'm in the "buy once cry once" boat
Save up, look for deals, skip a beer or range trip
>>
Cancel your cable subscription and in 2 months you have your extra money.
>>
Use an ACOG sometime and you will know
>>
File: LPSWASR3.jpg (354KB, 1192x742px) Image search: [Google]
LPSWASR3.jpg
354KB, 1192x742px
>>30672910
>I would shoot irons before fucking with a $100 scope.

I paid $120 for this glass.
>>
>>30669114
If at all possible, save up for an Aimpoint Pro. I'd say the essentials on any type of combat/defensive rifle are 1.) A red dot that is durable and holds zero (preferably one that has sufficient battery life to be on all the time) 2.) Good back up irons 3.) A reliable light that is easily activated/deactivated from your regular shooting position. If you do go with an el cheapo red dot make sure that you get back up irons, although you should have those anyway.
>>
>>30675198
Oh and a good sling unless it's strictly for home defense.
>>
If cost is your issue, look at Primary Arms offerings. Watch some Youtube videos about specific models.

AK Operators Union has been beating on a handful of different Primary Arms optics (RDS, low-power & higher power scopes) for a while and still doesn't have anything negative to say about them.
>>
Why do quality optics cost so much?
>>
>>30669130
Was Belling in on Friday?

Gotta torrent the podcast, but I only go out of my way for Belling.
>>
I have had a aimpoint comp4 for 9 years. Well worth it. Built like a tank, you can put it on various rifles and it won't lose zero for any reason.
>>
>>30669803

Sparc II is a rock solid optic
>>
Im 18 and own one rifle. Give me one good reason to spend more than i spent on my gun (marlin xt-22) on an optic
>>
>>30675575
If you've ever had a piece of shit optic, you would know why. That being said, there is a range at which the average jackass with a gun will not see a difference. A $60 Tasco scope will likely not be near as good as $300 Leupold scope. But spending $1400 on a Zeiss or Leica Isn't going to help you out substantially.
>>
>>30675774
thisss

bought a sight mark red dot once

never again

might as well use irons

now im saving up for an eotech or trijicon acog with the rmr

that or finally finish my ar pistol build if barrels ever pop up
>>
>>30675160
You seem to be under the impression that the PSO/LPS/POSP/etc are quality optics. Shit glass, shit adjustments, heavy, and typically offset as fuck as yours appears to be. You're almost better off buying a railed dust cover and new rear iron sight for that kind of money.
>>
>>30669114
depends on what youre doing. if youre distance or precision shooting, you should definately have a high end optic. if youre short to medium range hunting or target shooting at less than a few hundred meters, the cheapo scope works fine
>>
Yo, Vortex Razor vs. Viper, what's the big difference besides the fact Razor is oper8tor status?
>>
>>30675748
>good reason to spend more than i spent on my gun
>marlin xt-22

There isn't one, because any shit glass will work on your .22 almost-a-gun.
>>
>>30669414
>If you're a poorfag, your life isn't worth the $400.
i do well enough with irons
>>
>dudes buy DD, LWRC, Noveske and the likes
>Always put cheap ass tru glo dot sights on them
>>
>>30669114
I just read the OP in Rush's voice and it was pretty funny.
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.