[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I can't seem to get straight answers either way on the quality

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: 1463045005512.png (20KB, 559x484px) Image search: [Google]
1463045005512.png
20KB, 559x484px
I can't seem to get straight answers either way on the quality of Mosin Nagants.
A lot say garbage, some say they're wonderful, but almost everyone seems to have one.
Well, /k/, should I get one? What's the best price range?
>>
Don't. You missed out on when they were cheap. Just as well, they sucked for everything except being cheap. Now they suck at everything.
>>
>>30566300
The fact there's tons of ammo available for a decent price makes them a good poor mans .30-06 equivalent. As far as quality goes while there's something to be said for old world manufacturing and production any modern production bolt gun will do more for you from a pure practicality stand point.
>>
>>30566300
A musty nigglet is what it is. It's meant to be a cheap surplus gun that is reliable. It isn't very accurate, especially if it's heavily used or poorly taken care of

The ammo is corrosive. You HAVE to clean the gun as soon as you're done shooting it, else you'll ruin it.

A price range is less than $300. They used to be really cheap, but the surplus is drying up

I personally got a mauser m48 instead
>>
>>30566300
If it's your first gun then I don't recommend it. If you've got money to burn and just want to own one then get one.

Anything over 150 is overpaying unless it's maybe a hex reciever which I might say 170-200 or something else nice like a Finnish m39.
>>
They're fine for what they are: a mass-produced russian bolt gun for grunts. The action isn't the smoothest and they're hardly tack drivers, but if you buy one that's not totally beat to shit it will easily outlive you. I have a pre-war hex receiver 91/30 that I couldn't be happier with.

Also corrosive ammo is dumb and you shouldn't buy any
>>
>>30566300

They were incredibly cheap, decent, bolt action rifles shooting incredibly cheap, decent ammo. Nothing more.

Used to be able to buy a crate of them for $400 but since the 'surp is drying up they're getting more expensive than they're worth.
>>
>>30566300
Cheap is the only selling point of the nugget.

For how much you can expect to pay for a nugget these days you could just swap to a different surplus rifle that has, say, a floating barrel, from the very getgo.
>>
>>30566300
if you want to be in the club these are the best of the bunch at a good price
https://www.classicfirearms.com/finnish-m39-mosin-nagant-rifle-762x54r

they will appreciate in value, if you just want an m91/30 check flea markets and pawn shops, the usual used gun places you should be able to find one for around $150
>>
>>30566300
They're okay, not really worth getting now. I like mine, but wouldn't be willing to pay what they seem to go for now.

When they were under $100 all over and you could buy spam cans for under $80 it was well worth it because you could get a rifle with a full sized round that was cheap to shoot. They have a bit of history, but aren't really special compared to other milsurp.

Now you might as well just pay the difference and get a modern bolt action. For like $100 more than most places are charging for Mosins now you could get something way more accurate and reliable.
>>
well, then what would you recommend for a relatively cheap bolt-action rifle to play with?
>>
>>30567724
a yugo mauser for around $200 would probably be your best value. a turk mauser might be had for less if you could find one.
>>
>>30566300
they range from sex machines to total shit. just roll the dice man its not like its $1000 we are talking about.
>>
File: 1464362793647.jpg (34KB, 500x366px) Image search: [Google]
1464362793647.jpg
34KB, 500x366px
>>30566300
They are just ornaments, not much else.
>>
>>30566300
They were wonderful when they were only $75. Like the Nagant revolvers as well- great gun for only $75. Now that both are hard to find <$200 they are kind of shit for the price. Not saying they're a bad gun but for $200-$300 they're meh.
>>
>>30566348
>except lasting forever
>ammo price will come back down after wars
>>
>>30566300

Here's my experience:

>Got a hex nugget for 180
>Everything about it works fairly well
>Even feeds stripper clips decently
>No hangups/ftf so far

I guess, just like with a lot of milsurp, QC is gonna be all over the place. I happened to get a gem, but other people may get garbage.
>>
>>30566300
They are neat but they are vastly overpriced. If you want a bolter just go with a new production bolt action. Nuggets are way overpriced and likely won't be going down anytime soon. Then you have the biggest issue which is feeding the damn thing. Ammo skyrocketed in priced and at this point you can buy new production common rounds that aren't corrosive for the same price. They are neat but not above 200 neat
>>
>>30566300
Your better off getting a Mauser.
>>
>>30566300
I bought a Mosin as my first gun with a can of surplus Russian ammo, and aside from the historical value, I regret it.

>bolt is just naturally stiff, even after disassembling and cleaning it
>corrosive ammo is shit
>horizontal bolt handle makes extraction harder

I later bought an M48 Yugo Mauser, and it is better in literally every single way.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.