[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Happy 4th, /k/! Please remember not to set off any fireworks

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 14

File: veteransandfireworks.jpg (95KB, 960x639px) Image search: [Google]
veteransandfireworks.jpg
95KB, 960x639px
Happy 4th, /k/!

Please remember not to set off any fireworks around anyone suffering from PTSD, be they combat veterans of twitter feminists.
>>
> Combat veterans of twitter feminists

Isn't that the majority of /k/, OP? Although I wouldn't really call arguing on twitter war.
>>
>>30500950
>wouldn't really call arguing on Twitter war
You're triggering me
>>
File: 1385878067195.jpg (260KB, 800x931px) Image search: [Google]
1385878067195.jpg
260KB, 800x931px
>plz no fireworks on Freedom Day
faggot should learn to drink his self numb like the rest of us
>>
File: 1409019765680.jpg (15KB, 221x228px) Image search: [Google]
1409019765680.jpg
15KB, 221x228px
>>30500855

Is this fake?

>tfw probably not
>>
>>30500968
>faggot should learn to drink his self numb like the rest of us
This
>>
File: image.jpg (261KB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
261KB, 1440x900px
>>30500855
>mfw the people that live near Pulse are claiming PTSD
>>
>>30501037
didn't you hear? Any negative feelings are memories that induce mild anxiety or sadness are PTSD now. It's 2016, after all!
>>
File: John Wayne.jpg (38KB, 682x383px) Image search: [Google]
John Wayne.jpg
38KB, 682x383px
>>30500855
I thought Gunnery Sergeant Hartman's job was to weed out all non-hackers who did not pack the gear to serve in his beloved Corps. How did this one get through?
>>
jokes aside, fuck fireworks but words like trigger are for fucking pussies and make me the butt of jokes if i bitch about it at all to anyone but my woman
>>
>>30501076
PTSD has always been defined as Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder.
>>
>>30500855
The past three days have honestly sucked balls. I've had to keep war movies on loop to kinda help, but that only does so much because of directionality.

That said, even though this shit does fuck with me, I hope all of you have as much fun as possible with fireworks. I joined up because I have an idea of what America can be and wanted to fight for that...a 4th without fireworks ain't that.
>>
>See sign
>Light firecrackers
>Throw in the yard
>POPOPOPOPOPOPOPOP
>Ends
>Few seconds later start screaming for a medic
>>
>>30501571
Thanks for your service
>>
>>30500855
They can go to the local university and use one of their safe spaces.
>>
>>30500855
>>30501571
What the heck happens to vets during fireworks and PTSD?
Do they get really anxious/afraid? I'm not sure what "happens" on their end.
>>
>>30501968
People who genuinely have PTSD might get genuinely triggered and freak out since fireworks can sometimes sound like gunshots.
>>
>>30501968
A lot of fireworks sounds like incoming mortars and rockets. It's been 7 years since I've been in afghanistan, and I still instinctively take cover or dive when there are loud/unexpected explosions (like thunder or fireworks).

Trick is to not be a bitch about it. I know this affects me, so I just keep headphones in and watch my sci fi shows. I'm not gonna make my problems other peoples problems.
>>
>>30502053
How not to be an asshole about things that bother you: the post.
>>
File: image.jpg (85KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
85KB, 720x720px
>>
>>30501968
I can't speak to anyone else's experiences, but for me it's settled down to the point where it's just being really wound up (like have you ever been really anxious over something? giving a big speech, asking that first chick you crushed on out, waiting for the doctors to come back and tell you how the surgery of a loved one went)...full fight or flight, and it just doesn't go away, so I'm jumpy at noises I don't expect, hearing something like someone close a car door makes me whip my head around to find where it came from, and no sleep.

Closer to when I got out, it was basically just full on panic attacks. No real triggers...just every once in awhile I'd freak out.
>>
>>30502053
>sounds like incoming mortars and rockets
don't worry fampai, I know the exact video that will help with that
https://youtu.be/ZHaExa_e-2E?t=4s
>>
>>30502047
>People who genuinely have PTSD might get genuinely triggered and freak out since fireworks can sometimes sound like gunshots.
Nah, it's not necessarily that. It's unexpected, unsourced loud. Like the shitty part of combat that gets to most people isn't the shit blowing up, it's that anything could blow up unexpectedly. Sounds like a distinction without a difference, but it's a huge difference. Loud unexpected shit=Very Bad Things, but loud shit you controlled or knew was going to happen generally = Ending Very Bad Things...
>>
>>30500855
>>30501968

Honestly it's just pussies. For example, look at this faggot: >>30502053

It's been over half a decade since he's been in combat. There is no possible way there are actual lethal rockets or mortars being fired near his area and he needs to wear headphones to cope. To think so for even a moment is denying reality completely.

Absolute pussy.
>>
>>30502121
dont cut yourself on all that edge, doctor "i dont understand the functioning of the central nervous system and compensate with machismo"
>>
>>30501968
Big professional stuff sounds exactly like incoming arty/mortars. They're also officially called mortars.

I generally just get really jumpy. The only time I ever had an actual panic attack, I was on a ferris wheel at the county fair and they started a professional fireworks show I didnt know about. I tried to climb down while it was still going.
>>
>>30502156

>it's edgy to say some weirdo who is as far from combat both phyically, emotionally, and chronologically as possible is afraid of fireworks during one of the few times a year where it is well known and expected that they will discharge

You're a real hero
>>
>>30501082
He was killed by an insane recruit.
>>
>>30502174
im not that guy and thats not the argument you were making

youre still calling him abnormal when hes clearly trying to integrate himself
>>
>>30502174

conditioning from stressful situations, especially developed under fight/flight response just cant be turned off like a switch.
>>
>>30502174
Did you have a brain aneurysm during that post?

Also it is weird, it is abnormal. Doesn't make the shit any less real. Hell, many cases of depression are literally nothing but a neurochemical imbalance -- zero environmental factors. Doesn't mean that the person who has that imbalance is any less depressed.
>>
>>30502091
Now I know THAT is the kind of shit that might make a veteran go full time travel like.

It made me want to duck and I never worn a uniform in my life.
>>
>>30502201

He's a total freak, an absolute pussy.

>>30502230

Whatever excuses you need to make for your own inability to function. You've been out of combat for seven years. At some point you either have the stones to adapt to society or not and it's clear you're living in some fantasy where you think rockets and mortars could realistically be going off near you at a time of year when fireworks are well known to be discharged.

Just kill yourself or stop being a pussy.
>>
>>30502280
Ur a faget lmao
>>
>>30502240

I'm not saying it isn't real, I think him being a pussy unable to accept that fireworks during the fireworks season aren't rockets and mortars is very real and very pathetic.
>>
>>30500855
Thought this thread would have popped up yesterday
>>
>>30502280
Actual poster here.

I don't think that there are actual rockets or mortars going off near me, or that my life is threatened in any way. It's just an instinctive reaction born from experience.

I'm a pussy because I still have a reflex that saved my life. Whatever dude, just store that edge in a safe place.
>>
File: 437px-Clarinet_boy_monster.jpg (60KB, 600x824px) Image search: [Google]
437px-Clarinet_boy_monster.jpg
60KB, 600x824px
>>30501968
The first set I hear going off always bother me. Makes me think there's incoming rounds or mortars. It doesn't bother me after it becomes constant, but the first of the night always gets me, or if there's been like a 20min break or something then someone starts shooting off again.
It's not enough to put a sign in my yard though.
I should also mention my neighbors are assholes, and they actually shoot into my back yard near my window where I usually am in the house.
>>
File: 1458279182431.png (861KB, 905x737px) Image search: [Google]
1458279182431.png
861KB, 905x737px
>>30502280
>reacting quickly to loud noises that sound like gunshots and mortars is engrained into brain from real life experiences under arduous amounts of stress and fear
>do it for an entire year, day after day
>GET OVER IT YOU PUSSY!!

No, you, you need to fucking kill yourself.
>>
>>30502396

An experience you are 7 years removed from.

>>30502453

Sorry not sorry but he's a pussy. Probably a bitch made pog too.
>>
>>30500968
This picture triggers me. I served in the battle of the sexes. On the losing side.
>>
>>30501968
Version I heard was that the worst objective part of it is an insane heart rate spike. You can't prepare for it, you can't keep it down any way, you know it's irrational, but there you are, and your heart is beating like you're in a meth-fueled marathon, close to the finish line and a heart attack too.

I've never experienced it, but I've experienced irrational body responses due to other conditions, so I "get" it.
>>
>>30501594
kek.
>>
I would Invite the Veterans to my Firework party and be nice and curtious about it.

For the Feminists, I will stick an entire fucking brick of firecrackers in a metal pot and put it on their doorstep at 4AM.
>>
>>30502526
>An experience you are 7 years removed from.
I love how you think that matters.
>>30502335
>I think him being a pussy unable to accept that fireworks during the fireworks season aren't rockets and mortars is very real and very pathetic.
See here's the thing. You're factually wrong. It's brain chemistry. It's not thinking x is y or some shit like that. It all happens at the reflex level -- go read up on sympathetic versus parasympathetic nervous system. PTSD, and other anxiety disorders are the overactivation of the sympathetic nervous system. This isn't something you can control at any level. Hell, even basic military training accounts for this. The way they deal with it is to push you into activation of the sympathetic systems, then train you while you're in that state. It's not really a matter of getting used to being in that state, it's more being able to do a set of actions while in that state. Eventually, you get used to combat to the point where the sympathetic system doesn't really kick in as hard...but you've spent countless hours drilling certain behaviors into yourself while in that state, so shit doesn't go away just because you're no longer in combat. You have these reflexes hardwired in so even in plainly noncombat situations, any activation of the sympathetic system pulls up these reflexes. Those reflexes being pulled back up create a feedback loop that reinforces the activated state.

And by the way, that shit like fireworks only happening a few times a year actually works to keep this kind of thing stronger, not to weaken it. It's a random indeterminate stimulus schedule which is the the exact kind of schedule that prevents conditioned behavior extinction.

Literally none of this shit is controllable which is why it's a problem for people who deal with it. People who end up with PTSD aren't "weaker" or "pussies", they're actually just wired in a fundamentally different way from the people who don't.
>>
If some idiot can't tell the difference between fireworks and being in combat.

he needs to be locked up.
>>
>>30502661
If some idiot can't refrain from spewing his autism online he should be locked up
>>
File: 1467601680044.jpg (87KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
1467601680044.jpg
87KB, 960x540px
>>30500855
Obligatory
>>
>>30502661
Well aren't you an edgy little faggot.

I bet you think police are all murderers too.
>>
yeah i think the piece he edgelord is missing is just that its not a matter of inflicting yourself on others or being tumblr, but flinching a little harder a little longer than others in spite of knowing its coming and being told not to bitch about it by cunts like him
>>
File: ThankYouForYourService.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
ThankYouForYourService.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>30501571
>>
>>30502661

This
>>
File: 1467659626858.jpg (185KB, 960x639px) Image search: [Google]
1467659626858.jpg
185KB, 960x639px
>>
>>30502923
nice
>>
Someone make sure to shitpost that pasta with the gun who fanned his revolver and shot his neighbors house. Since it is the fourth
>>
>>30502068
this is a much better sign
>>
>>30502923
10/10
>>
>>30502121
This. Everybody today is such a special snowflake. They didn't have these faggot signs around when the guys from WWII Korea and Nam came back. What happened to just shutting the fuck up and not making a whole thing about it.
>>
>>30503588
>What happened to just shutting the fuck up and not making a whole thing about it.
Those people killed themselves.
>>
>>30503588
the economy was MUCH better back then (at least post WW2, Korea) so when you come home a fucking hero and everyone wants to give you shit like jobs, houses and cars n shit then you can suppress the PTSD a lot better than when your stuck with a dependopotomas and no job and a bunch of shitty hipsters think theyre somehow manlier than you because they can grow a beard and twist the tips in a curl while sampling IPAs at a musica festival for black trans deaf women.

if we treated our vets the way they wrre treated in 1946 things would be a lot better. Mind you the war fucked up ALOT of vets and drove many to violence, alcoholism and suicide. but at the end of the day the numbers show things are a lot worse for our guys now than they were then
>>
>>30503917
>The economy was much better and people just couldn't wait to give vets jobs
>In the nineteen-fucking seventies
lmao'ing @ you're life, t.bh famalam
>>
>>30504004
>(at least post WW2, Korea)
reading is hard
>>
File: 1466669697634.png (39KB, 559x607px) Image search: [Google]
1466669697634.png
39KB, 559x607px
>>30500855
As a former Engineer, I'd like to take a moment to let you guys know that the victim mentality that's permeated every facet of our society are the reason why these signs exist.

As an Engineer, and a combat veteran, I do what my dad taught me. I use superior knowledge and love of explosives that was given to me by the Army to put on a questionably legal fireworks show for my neighbors and their kids. It's a blast, and I dont sit it my house twitching at every explosion thinking of every time I got blown up overseas.

So don't let your past ruin the celebration of the freedom you put yourself on the line for. Get out there, grill some burgers, and (safely) blow some shit up. Getting involved and putting smiles on kids faces will ease your mind and help you forget the hard times.

Happy Independence day everybody, have fun.
>>
File: 1467546624343.jpg (13KB, 233x188px) Image search: [Google]
1467546624343.jpg
13KB, 233x188px
>>30502923
Under fucking rated, holy shit
>>
>>30504531
Also, I was an Engineer, if I didn't already tell you guys, and probably a little too drunk to be playing with fire, and apparently too drunk to stop myself from repeating things even when Im typing.

Proofread your posts kids
>>
>>30504531
Its not the loud explosions so much as the unexpectedness of it that triggers people, if you expect it, then its usually easier to deal with.
>>
I got over my PTSD and involuntary reflex around loud bangs.

First with functioning alcoholism and then with getting sober. Then getting back to being able to drink with self control.

Neighbors shooting off fireworks. Like those mini star shells. So I took my SKS and blank ammo outside and shot blanks off while working the bolt manually.
>>
>>30501594
>using a loudspeaker with a siren and repeating "Incoming Incoming Incoming" with a deadpan voice
>>
>>30502872
Have you thanked the Rangers for their service to the crown?
>>
>>30507041
Exactly, so get out there and expect it. When you start making the loudest bangs in the neighborhood, everyone tends to stop shooting their Walmart bottlerockets to come look at the crazy shit you've cooked up. Worked wonders for me.

Of course, I always laugh when I get that little adrenaline spike that makes your eyes dilate and your heart pound. I've associated it with roller coasters or jumpscare movies. I know I'm safe, I know they're just fireworks, or that the monster on the screen can't actually hurt me, but it's fun to get a little jump every now and then.

Only time I've ever had an "episode" is when my neighbor was showing his kid how to shoot his Beretta in their back yard (about 150ft from my deck, nothing but woods behind his house for miles) and a round ricocheted and when by my head.I dove to the ground and kicked my grill over in the process (thank god it was charcoal) and started cussing like a sailor on crack. Neighbor thought his kid had shot me, came running over screaming for someone to call 911, kid just stood there frozen and terrified. His wife did actually call 911, so we had to explain to a Deputy what had happened, and my neighbor got a stern talking to for not having a backstop set up since he shot in those woods all the time.

We spent that entire weekend drinking and digging and setting up a pretty impressive 25 yd pistol range, including a bench and a canopy. Brought over all of my pistols and let the kid shoot every single one of them, he really liked the 1911. Shame I don't live there anymore.
>>
File: 1444658358230.gif (2MB, 245x180px) Image search: [Google]
1444658358230.gif
2MB, 245x180px
>>30501571
Thank you for your cervix.
Thread posts: 71
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.