[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, I'm building an AR pistol for HD. My question is, should

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: did-you-get-yfgmnh.jpg (31KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
did-you-get-yfgmnh.jpg
31KB, 500x375px
So, I'm building an AR pistol for HD. My question is, should I go with a 7.5" barrel or a 10.5"?

The gun will never see any kind of distance beyond a maximum of 50 yards. It's strictly a close quarters gun.
>>
>>30460118
Is it in 5.56mm? Or is it a pistol caliber? If it's 5.56mm, stick with 10.5", 7.5" is just more noise and less power.
>>
>>30460152
I'm looking at 5.56 but also considering 300blk. My main concern is over penetration and everybody I talked to suggested a 5.56 shorty with 55gr or less varment/LEO ammo. From what I can tell, fragmentation ammo. And I thought that maybe a 7.5 would be perfect for this application, but I'm not too sure.
>>
>>30460118
dont use a rifle round for home defense, its not a good idea, it can leave wounds that look bad, its loud, i dont know if you have neighbors, but you dont want something that loud, you wont have earpro on. if you want a something like that, i would use something like a scorpion evo, or something of the sort in .45acp
>>
>>30460233
You see, I was originally looking for a PCC in .45acp. I've seen what .45acp will do against wall studs and such and I know it also as a good amount of mass for stopping power. But then everybody was suggesting I get a 5.56. BTW I also found out how well 9mm goes through walls, pretty damn good apparently. So I'm trying to stay away from it at the moment for HD.
>>
>>30460118

SBR unsuppressed 5.56 is fucking LOUD. get a 12 gauge dude. Rifle rounds are overkill unless you are defending some land.
>>
>>30460118
I'm getting the parts together for basically the same thing. Get the 10.5" barrel. 3" less on a gun that short isn't going to make a handling difference but makes a big performance difference with 5.56. 77gr OTMs will still be effective and fragment out to about 125-150 yards. You're going to have a fireball regardless but it will be a lot worse and leave even more unburned powder with the 7.5"
>>
>>30460233
>unsourced fuddlore

An AR is a great choice for HD. .223 is way less of an overpenetration hazard than any common pistol cartridge, and a short barreled carbine (or AR "pistol" in OPs case) is easier to handle and actually protrudes from the shooter less than a traditional handgun grip. Plus capacity, plus stopping power, plus two handed support.

Yeah it's loud but so is any gun indoors and in a HD situation you're not gonna notice how loud it is. Ever been in a car crash? They're loud as shit but in the moment you really don't notice. You could also just keep a set of muffs by your HD gun if you were that worried about it.

The only downside is it's gonna be a little harder to shoot one-handed, which might be a concern if OP has kids to corral or wants to use a phone at the same time.
>>
>>30460890
>.223 is way less of an overpenetration hazard than any common pistol cartridge
We talking FMJ or HPs for the pistol cartridges?
>>
>>30460302
well a little more info would be good to give you some advice

you might want to get something cheap, I dont know what state your in, but sometimes you lose the gun if you ever have to use it, I dont know if you live on a farm and no one lives within miles of you, or if you live in an apartment complex. I dont know what guns you already own, because you probably want something a little different from what you already have

so if you can answer these questions that would help me to give you any real advice.

Also, on shotguns, they usually have to be longer and that is usually undesirable for HD, also they kick and are loud

You dont want to be using some weird ass sbr/shorty shotgun for HD, these things matter. People recommend that you dont get trigger jobs or modify EDC guns because if you ever have to use them for self defense it can look bad in court

you want something simple, you want something that looks like you just picked up your pops old rifle because you heard a crash in the night

also, i would reccomend a TLR-2 laser light combo, i have the green laser, it can show either laser, light, or have both at the same time, I can fire my handgun at 7 yards with the laser and get every shot within an area the size of my hand

>>30460890
I've been in 5 car crashes, 2 at over 45 mph. what im trying to tell OP is that having the best tactical HD gun and having the right HD gun are different things
>>
>>30460118
>10.5"
If it's 5.56 this is the bare minimum for ballistic relevance. It will get m193 to frag at maybe ~15 yards, though if it is for home defense snowflake rounds are not a bad investment.
Like everyone else in the thread has mentioned, expect it to be loud. Not "by golly what an impressive bang" loud but "oh fuck I felt that in my lungs" loud.
However a 5.56 notSBR is great for preventing overpenetration, decent capacity, stable to shoot, and you can put great sights on it. It's my go-to hd shit until I get a decent shotgun.
>>
File: 1336812940746.jpg (58KB, 1024x662px) Image search: [Google]
1336812940746.jpg
58KB, 1024x662px
>>30460118
Aight OP I've had 5.56/223 in 7.5, 11.5, and 14.5 rifles.

Anything under 14.5 is louder than loud as fuck and will throw flame. Some brands and loads aren't as bad but they're all going to be eardrum obliteration flashbangs unless suppressed.

They're not that bad to get going reliably, people make a big deal out of them but they often just don't really know how to match gas port size, location, reciprocating mass, and springs.

5.56 is cheaper and with the right load it'll work just fine for 50ish stuff. If you have a can, make sure it's tough because really short barrels expose the can to much more stress. Anything will help in taking the edge off the noise so suppression is a good call even if fags will say "but muh supersonic is loud wah". Sure it's louder than other suppressed guns but goddamn anything is nicer than an SBR indoors. Of course, make sure that you keep the suppressor in mind when building the rifle in terms of gas. Or just get a good adjustable block, that's easymode.

300nig is more expensive in ammo but it is much more suited for SBR. It has a LOT more power when comparing it either way, suppresses well even in supersonic, is very quiet with subsonics, easy to tune, not too expensive to get components, and the recoil is flat and barely any different to the 5.56/223.

5.56/223 does penetrate less after going through walls with the right bullets so if you're in a crowded area, getting it in that caliber might be the best bet.
>>
>>30460934
So after researching it on google for 5 minutes it does seem that 223 can be better for over penetration than handgun ammo, but I want to know if OP is worried about it because of neighbors or because of damaging his house

You really dont want your neighbors to hear you blasting away with an AR, but a few *pops* and then the police showing up is much less conspicuous

>>30461111
Does anyone think that HD gun choice should be partially based on the legal/courtroom aspect? I dont think an AR is the best choice because of this, it looks scary, and the whole AR pistol/ SBR thing could be spun by an ambitious lawyer

>>30461153
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Noveske-Krink-KX3-Flash-Suppressor-with-Pig-p/kx3%20pig.htm

if OP does go with a short barrel AR, I would recommend the product I linked to
>>
>>30460890
>.223 is way less of an overpenetration hazard than any common pistol cartridge
>>
>>30461182
>>30461153
>http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Noveske-Krink-KX3-Flash-Suppressor-with-Pig-p/kx3%20pig.htm

>if OP does go with a short barrel AR, I would recommend the product I linked to

That linear comp is really nice at the range, but in a small room it doesn't really do that much. If OP can, a muffler should be in his shopping list.

Shooting SBRs often has taught me that even if a firearm is less efficient at self-defense, like a pistol caliber carbine, if you're in your little bedroom and a bad guy comes in, going for the "shittier" gun might just be a better deal. The SBR is better, but not when it ruins your shit because you didn't have the chance to put on your earmuffs and now you can't stand up without falling over, can't hear anything, and can't see very much.
>>
>>30461208
http://how-i-did-it.org/drywall/test-parameters.html

>being this fuddlore
>>
>>30461182
>anyone think that HD gun choice should be partially based on the legal/courtroom aspect
This could be an issue depending on where you live. If so get something fudd looking (revolver, wooded out shotgun). They are still effective.
Florida here though so if someone breaks into my house and gets shot as a consequence, barring some dumbass Zimzam media frenzy, it by state law can't even go to civil court let alone criminal.
And if things go Zimzam you are fucked even if you used black powder, because that is racist.
>>
>>30461153
Would having a stamped suppressor on a HD gun be wise? I know its a good idea, but with the state of the world today you never know what you could be charged with in courts, even if you are in the right, there are horror stories out there

The gun that I keep loaded for HD, for a few reasons, (I know I will get shit for this) is a .25acp beretta jetfire, my reasons
>not loud, i live in a rented house in close proximity to many neighbors, I dont want everyone to know if I have to use it
>no over-penetration, If i do have to use it, I dont have to think twice about where I'm aiming it
>Everything else I own is expensive as fuck, I have invested so much into all my other guns, I dont wanna use them in a defense situation and risk losing them
>It's easy to hide, I live with other people, and I lock up all my guns besides my HD gun, I cant just have my shotgun laying around, but the Jetfire sits in a case that is about as big as a Nintendo DS, with extra mags
>Weak cartridge, I count this as a plus and here is why:
If I hear someone throw a brick through my sliding door window, get my gun, go downstairs, and see someone holding a baseball bat and trying to steal my tv, I fear that my life is at risk, I fire at them and because of my training I know I could down them, or at least disable them long enough for me to reload. BUT!

BUT! and I hate to think of it, but its a possibility, IF, IF, i ever accidentally fired at the wrong person, or a stray round hit an innocent person, say another resident, or a family member, the round has less of a chance of instantly killing them. I know this reason can be debated, but I don't know if I want to have a weapon that if used would instantly kill someone. I know that shooting someone is automatically potentially lethal, but as someone in the medical field, I really dont like the amount of maiming that some rounds do when used on humans.
>>
>>30461326
The thing is, you say "I'm in Florida and we have laws that protect me if I use self-defense"

Yet the Zimmerman case took place in Florida, a state that is know for its self defense laws. So it just goes to show how important of a factor the legal system is in firearm choice.
>>
>>30461462
if that's how you want to roll knock yourself out

All I know is that if someone is breaking in and I have to shoot them, I'm probably going to put ~five rounds of quality defense load rifle ammo before they have the chance to hit the ground. Not because that's cool or operator, but because stopping the threat is the important part, and the best way to do that is to incapacitate with sufficient force.

Sufficient force is obliterating as much of the important body parts as possible.

If it goes Zimmerzams it's all over anyway, so might as well put the odds in your favor for surviving the actual attack.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.