[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've been a gun enthusiast for 4 or 5 years now, I like

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 11

File: 308.jpg (32KB, 1000x268px) Image search: [Google]
308.jpg
32KB, 1000x268px
I've been a gun enthusiast for 4 or 5 years now, I like to go to the range and shoot but I've never hunted before.

I was invited by my cousin to go deer hunting and I have a few questions for /k/ hunters, what is with the vehement attitude of hunters against hearing protection? When I asked my cousin about what kind of hear protection he uses he laughed in my face like I was a retard "you can't use hearing protection when hunting, hunting is about hearing not vision". For a second I thought he was retarded but upon looking at a hunting forum everyone there agrees, they even have theories that with practice your auditory senses become "inmune to loud sounds consequences but better at detecting prey".

What is this nonsense? Is this an actual thing? I feel like I am the only person who thinks shooting anything bigger than a 22 outdoors should require some kind of protection(I even use protection for shooting a 22 outdoors by the way).

Am I the crazy one?
>>
>>30368469
don't be retarded. When you shoot, you wear muffs and plugs. It doesn't matter what you're doing. Later, you get to laugh in HIS face, except he won't even hear you.
>>
Most hunters use electronic ear protection. They jack the volume up so they can hear a deer piss 100m away
>>
>>30368469
You can't mind over matter hearing damage, however I did grow up hunting without hearing protection. These days, it depends on the style of hunt for if I wear earpro.

Electronic earpro makes it easier to protect yourself, but I find I lose sense of direction with them. Not a huge deal in a stand since you will usually be set up on/overlooking a game trail anyway, but if you are stalking then being able to immediately pinpoint where a noise is coming from is an advantage.
>>
>>30368469
Of course you wear them on the range but I don't know any e who wears them when hunting.

Its pretty important to be able to hear what is around you as well as how much noise you are making.

It's just one shot m8
>>
>>30368469
I shoot target without ear protection unless I'm running my AR.

My K98 is actually pretty mild on the ear, I also never had an issue with Mosins or other longer barrel rifles including shotguns.

The 16" carbines is where I have to call it quits, hence why I use ear pro with my AR.

The way I theorized it, training to override your flinch reflex can only truly be done without plugs. So, I practice the majority of the time without them in. Your ears actually do adjust to the sound and it just gets easier as time goes on. I haven't jumped from a gunshot in a long ass time, some may argue that I'm going deaf, but to be honest it doesn't seem to be the case. Humans and their minds are amazing things, and there is a lot we can overcome and adapt to if we just try.

I read about a lot of military guys who talked about how their ears naturally adjusted to the immense sound from battle, but they claim that it was a matter of increments of sound. What I mean is, when they were hearing nothing but loud trucks and distant explosives, thei the ears were already adjusted to where their rifles had next to no effect on them.

I try to mimic that effect by blasting music about a half an hour before getting to my shooting spot. It works for me, but I'm expecting a ton of flak for this.

Do what you're most comfortable with, and you'll be fine. Everyone is different.
>>
I wear earpro for everything but turkey hunting. That's only two shots at most per year without, and sometimes I'm not even that lucky.
>>
File: image.jpg (45KB, 468x347px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
45KB, 468x347px
>>30368469
>When I asked my cousin about what kind of hear protection he uses he laughed in my face like I was a retard "you can't use hearing protection when hunting, hunting is about hearing not vision".
No he's the retard and worse fudd. There's a reason we hate them. Get some electronic earmuffs. You can hear fine with them and it'll block out the gun shots.
>>
File: 1465597988343.jpg (45KB, 620x400px) Image search: [Google]
1465597988343.jpg
45KB, 620x400px
>>30368758
>>
>>30368793
>shots
>>
>>30368809
I get it sounds weird, but I'm trying to see if it's feasible to become immune to the sound. It's just a theory I've been experimenting with.

Imagine the faces of Browning's peers when he said it's possible to make an automatic firearm. This is why we experiment.
>>
>>30368469
I always have the tethered ear plugs around my neck when i go hunting so they are at the ready if im going to shoot and don't get in the way at all
>>
>>30368833
it's feasible that your BRAIN will block it out.

It's not feasible that your eardrums themselves, and the neurons attached to them, will filter it out.
>>
>>30368758
>Your ears actually do adjust to the sound

It's called going fucking deaf
>>
File: innadesert.jpg (216KB, 1692x875px) Image search: [Google]
innadesert.jpg
216KB, 1692x875px
>>30368835
This pretty much, I went coyote hunting in the desert for the first time last weekend and I figured this was the best method.
>>
>>30368877
Not necessarily.

I notice, that for a period after shooting (~20-30 minutes) that my hearing is slightly muffled. But it always comes back to the same as it was before shooting. It's like coming up for air after being underwater, but not as drastic a change as that obviously.

Like I said, I just thought of a theory and I'm just testing it. Think of when you're hanging around with friends, and you have loud music on. You'll notice that you and your friends keep talking over the music, and then turning it higher, and the cycle continues until someone says "fuck, we're actually loud right now" but nobody realizes it, because you adjust to the surroundings.

I don't think it's all that crazy a notion, but hey I welcome all feedback.
>>
>>30368469
I just wear my muffs around my neck and put them on before I take a shot. It's not like the deer is going to shoot back if you don't get the drop on him.

Don't listen to anyone telling you not to wear earpro, the cilia in your ear are very fragile and do not grow back. I'm 30 and have noticeably worse hearing after maybe a dozen shots without earpro over the course of my life.
>>
File: 1466308796702.jpg (20KB, 480x451px) Image search: [Google]
1466308796702.jpg
20KB, 480x451px
>>30368758
>>
File: 1466015128898.jpg (13KB, 318x345px) Image search: [Google]
1466015128898.jpg
13KB, 318x345px
>>30368758
>>30368924
>>
>>30368956
>>30368953
Try it fags

Or just buttplug your faggot butts like you faggots always faggotin' do

I can shoot my Arisaka without a cock in my ass so so can you
>>
Safety and situational awareness, plan and simple. I would not fucking hunt with a deaf person much the same as I wouldn't fucking hunt with some assclown who can't hear me because he's worried about his baby ears. Can't hear the fact he's TALKING LIKE THIS, or whatever other fucking autism he has.You'll likely not fire more than 3 goddamn rounds regardless whilst hunting. Sure earpro it up when you fucking zero, but not in the field.

You're going hunting, not shooting. You might not even fire a single fucking bullet.
>>
>>30368469
They're idiots, anon, just get yourself a pair of electronic muffs or plugs. If you don't feel like spending the money you can always just put normal muffs on before you shoot, though that doesn't work well for stalk hunting.
>>
>>30368985
>>30368982
lol found the stupids!
>>
>>30368513
Fucking this, hunting with electronic earpro is fantastic.
>>
>>30368975
Christ dude, this is some Tripfag tier autism
>>
>>30368833
Its called going deaf, anon.
>>
>>30368924
>I notice, that for a period after shooting (~20-30 minutes) that my hearing is slightly muffled.
Anon, that's the result of hearing damage. The damage is permanent, even though the magnitude appears to change.
>>
>>30369000
ever think youre just a fukin pussy?

my grandpappy shot every gun in his god dam life with NOTHIN!

theres a reason they callt it the greatest generation! you guys are a disgrace to human race, gtfo my face, youre nowhere near my pace you lost the race !CHILL THE FUCK OUT B4 I SMAK THAT TASTE OUT UR FACE
>>
>>30369030
its called your mother loves my dick syndrome you pickle peppered panty
>>
>>30369030
>>30369010
>>30369000
>>30368956
you guise wanna fuck with me rite now?

my second cousins are dying in the FUCKIN hospital right now and you wanna fuckin rip my ass up!?

GO AHEAD! you may like pikin on the weak but just wait! my dick grows like a weed and if you think your little asses can go unfucked forever, youre Mistaken!
>>
>>30368758
>My eyes are adjusting to the sun
>Everythings not so bright anymore!
>>
Well, I guess we have proof in this thread that repeated exposure to high decibel levels is harmful to your intelligence.
>>
This thread reminds me of the time I cummed in everyone's brownies
>>
>>30368469
No.

Wear some ear plugs. Or better yet, get some electronic hearing protection and jack up the volume so you can hear better than normal.

If you had to shoot a deer without hearing protection and only shot once during your trip, you'd be fine. But why not maintain your good habit of protecting your ears and your future hearing?

I bought 3 pairs of electronic ear pro so when I take new people shooting that they can hear my instructions and function without needing to remove their ear pro. Absolutely worth the expense.
>>
>>30368469
The only time I wear plugs are when I go duck hunting with my cousins. Bunch of fucking skybusting faglords.
>>
>>30368469
Occasionally shooting a single round without hearing protection won't damage your hearing. Quit being pussy. Unless youve got the money to drop on one of those fancy noise dampening headphones, theres no point in dampening your sense of hearing because youre afraid.
>>
>>30368469
Auditory exclusion occurs under stress and most often targets only the muzzle blasts of your weapon. It's a natural fightflight reflex that can but does not always occur in sightbased encounters, use ear pro in group hunts and at night, discard earpro during nonstalking day hunts at your own risk.
>>
File: noise thermometer.png (451KB, 699x1049px) Image search: [Google]
noise thermometer.png
451KB, 699x1049px
>>30368758
>Your ears actually do adjust to the sound and it just gets easier as time goes on.
Because you're going deaf you imbecile
>>
>>30369000
What do you recommend? I borrowed some Howard Leights that were pretty good but the also seemed expensive. Is it a case of pay once, cry once?
>>
File: retard.png (80KB, 211x244px) Image search: [Google]
retard.png
80KB, 211x244px
>>30368758
>Your ears actually do adjust to the sound and it just gets easier as time goes on
>I try to mimic that effect by blasting music about a half an hour before getting to my shooting spot
>>
>>30368469
The only valid reason for this is the primary reason I'm not really into hunting: Shooting is a very small part of hunting.
>>
You need to be able to hear the deer rustling in the bush.

You're only firing one or two shots so you don't need the earpro.

At the range, on the other hand, you and a bunch of other people are poppin off rounds like bottles in the winner's circle. Duck hunting is the same way, some people wear earpro because there is more shooting going on and hearing the ducks isn't as important.
>>
Damn /k/ I've been hunting for something like 14 years and it has never once crossed my mind to wear ear pro. I don't even notice the shot. You aren't going to go deaf from the one shot a year you take while deer hunting.
>>
>>30368758
Theres a thin veneer of truth to this. Your ear CAN adjust to loud sound.. partially. Like, -5 dB. Thats about it. The rest of that is hearing loss.

A single gun shot can cause irrepairable damage.
>>
>>30370014
I should be clear, your ears adjust only after exposure to a loud sound, then it will adjust a bit to protect itself. But a gun exceeds that protection so far its like wearing an airsoft vest to stop 5.56 fmj.
>>
>>30369892
Auditory exclusion only happens during extremely stressful situations- as in fighting for your life for extended periods of time, not hunting deer- and it doesn't stop your ears from taking physical damage from loud noises. The phenomenon is utterly irrelevant to what is being discussed.
>>
>>30369943
>MP3 players cause hearing damage
>no account for volume control

so this chart is a wash
>>
>>30370110
Maximum volume output. You know when you're on the bus and you can make out the words to a song someone is listening to on the opposite end of the bus? Although I guess that's assuming you're not deaf yourself...
>>
>>30370162
My roommate is like that. You can always hear him coming since he blasts Nightwish at max volume in his earbuds.
>>
>>30369132

Kek
>>
>>30368469
I generally keep my ear pro close by. Its fucking hot where I live and hunt in Australia so wearing ear pro for long periods of time is a sweaty uncomfortable time.

Before taking a shot I put my ear protection in. Once after having shot a roo and checking the pouch I discovered a joey. Put my rifle to the joeys head and put it down. But in my haste forgot to put ear pro back on. Ears were ringing fron a 16" .223 that was essentially fired into the ground and I got coated in blood and brains.
>>
>>30368758
WHAT? EXCUSE ME COULD YOU REPEAT THAT? WHAT?
>>
>>30369974
Nigga howard leights are $40 on amazon.

They are THE go to electronic ear pro recommendation on /k/
>>
>>30368506
In england ear protection is considered optional. People rarely wear it at the range and never wear it on hunts. I can still hear so fuck
>>30368469
>>
>>30368469
Your cousin is an idiot. Just get those electronic muffs with microphones in them that you can turn up. You'll hear little bugs rustlin in the bushes with your bionic ears turned up and you won't have to worry about EEEEEEEE when you shoot.
>>
>>30368469
Deer are fucking silent as hell OP. You'd be surprised how close they can get without you hearing them at all. Really no point in not wearing earpro if you're going to blind/treestand hunt.
>>
OP here

Holy shit /k/ seems completely divided in this topic.

What do? I mean if I have earplugs it takes just a couple of seconds to put them before shooting, how hard can it be?
>>
>>30371432
Then do what makes you comfortable anon. It won't kill you to sit up there with a couple of foam plugs in and if they laugh tell them to fuck off and enjoy their tinnitus
>>
>>30371432
If you're able to don earpro without spooking the animal by all means don the earpro.
>>
>hurr you"ll get permanent meme tinnitus from shooting a handful of rifle rounds in a day

God fucking dammit this meme needs to die.
>>
My grandpa was a hunter for 40 years, never wore ear protection. He used to hunt patridge with his shotgun.

This ear protection is a must is a meme created by mall ninjas and your average AR tacticool owner.
>>
>>30369689
>expensive
Dude I got my electronic muffs on Amazon for $50,
And $50 is a small investment to protect your hearing.
But that's just cause I'm a huge wet pussy, hopefully one day you can teach me how to be a real man and endure completely preventable permanent hearing loss
>>
>>30371456
>enjoy their tinnitus
>from shooting 1-10 bullets a few times a year

you're autistic

also
>hurr theres the durr lemme fumble with my ear pro cuz muh delicate little ears
>your hunting buddies are staring
>autism growing
>drop your earpro from the stand
>durr runs
>buddies disgusted by how pathetic and feminine you are
>leave you in the woods
>you get raped by bill cosby
>it was actually a skinwalker
>get ate
>>
I've got the boss system on my rifle so hearing protection is a must. Having to pop in plugs before you shoot is no big deal. That being said try shooting once or twice with your rifle and if your ears don't ring then just deal with it
>>
File: 1346715179957.jpg (14KB, 333x279px) Image search: [Google]
1346715179957.jpg
14KB, 333x279px
ITT: trolling and people replying.

The answer is active ear protection. Buy some fucking $40 electronic earmuffs and enjoy being able to hear a squirrel fart from 20 yards away.
>>
>>30371432
Just keep in mind that most of us who are talking about hunting without earpro fire fewer shots in the field in a decade than come in a standard box of ammo.

One or two shots a year is not a meaningful amount. that is less than a single magazine a soldier will have in their weapon let alone on the rest of their kit.
>>
>>30370366
Gnarly bruh. An Australian who owns a gun, scary shit right there.
>>
>>30370540
Wow these are affordable as hell I'm gonna order these. Thank you for the name and not just rattling off a price.
>>
>>30370540
You just sold me on a pair good sir
>>
>>30370076
It can occur during actual hunting as well.
>>
>>30372655
>>30371823
You can crank them up all the way and you get x3 volume of everything around you with still keeping any loud noises down to 80dBs

>Walk around at night in your house pretending to be a predator as you hear people breathing from a room over
They are also a great way to easedrop phonecalls desu
>>
>>30368469

because hunters are fudds who don't know better.

>>30368758

you're a retard.
>>
>>30369689

no, you are permanently damaging your hearing every time you shoot without hearing protection. even once. sure it may not be much.

>>30373910

still doesn't prevent damage to your hearing.

i understand if it's a life or death situation - i can learn to sleep with a fan. but why do it to yourself when it's easily preventable?
>>
>>30370366

Comtac IV
>>
>Carry ear pro around your neck so you can hear, if he really thinks Human hearing is good enough that you can hear a deer crackle a branch hundreds of yards away
>equip it quietly once you identify a deer
>shoot

What's so hard about that?
>>
File: ear pro surefire4.jpg (6KB, 266x190px) Image search: [Google]
ear pro surefire4.jpg
6KB, 266x190px
>>30368469
i haven't been hunting yet but i bought these specifically for when i get the chance. fit in my picket, connected by string, seen easier to pop in than little orange things and not blulky like overear. id but them in before taking aim, its not like im gonna make a crack shot at a deer running between trees
>>
File: 1465787719314.jpg (55KB, 640x572px) Image search: [Google]
1465787719314.jpg
55KB, 640x572px
>>30368758
You poor dumb bastard
>>
For deer, I only use it in a stand if I'm overlooking a field. For turkey I don't use it, I need to hear the turkey and even my electronic muffs aren't great at figuring out direction. For squirrel I don't use it, I also need to hear but also a couple shots from a .22 aren't a big deal. For waterfowl I'll use them.

Basically hearing is important sometimes for hunting and I don't want to screw that up. I don't shoot enough to warrant wearing ear protection that much. If moving to put the ear protection on is going to give my position away I'm not going to use it.
>>
>>30368758
>Your ears actually do adjust to the sound
hahahahahah
>>
>>30368921
Why is your rifle precariosly balanced like that?
>>
>>30368469
While we're on the subject of ear protection and hearing damage.
Recently I had a really embarrassing ND and have had EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE for the past two days, when will it go away?
>>
PLEASE, **ALWAYS** WEAR BOTH PLUGS AND MUFFS

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A PAIR OF MUFFS THAT PROTECTS YOU FROM A RIFLE'S BLAST. THEY SIMPLY DO NO OFFER ENOUGH PROTECTION BY THEMSELVES.
YOU **MUST** DOUBLE UP TO BE PROTECTED.

THERE IS ALSO NO SUCH THING AS A SAFE NUMBER OF EXPOSURES TO SHOTS A YEAR. ALWAYS. WEAR. EARPRO. AND ALWAYS DOUBLE UP.

t. Someone who actually knows what they are talking about.
>>
Why dont you just wear ear protection if you want? You can all say there no point or some other shit, but at the end of the day its just one big circle jerk and boils down to if op wants to or not.
Thread posts: 83
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.