[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it possible to have a BoB-style series set in the Civil War

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 9

Is it possible to have a BoB-style series set in the Civil War without it getting all "da ebil whitey"?

I mean, BoB itself was pretty good for the most part about staying away from the Nazi tropes, but I feel there's no way that today's culture wouldn't allow the Confederates and half the Unioners to be portrayed as anything other than hand-wringing Saturday morning cartoon villains.
>>
File: image.jpg (53KB, 480x478px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
53KB, 480x478px
>>30308386
You do know who owns Hollywood, don't you anon?
>>
File: image.jpg (137KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
137KB, 1280x720px
I wish for a Warhammer or Halo themed BoB, but we know that shit will never happen.
>>
File: image.jpg (73KB, 626x349px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
73KB, 626x349px
>>30308415
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyOAdrxlPVs&app=desktop
>>
>>30308386
Eh, depends.

Hell on Wheels started off pretty good. (despite firearms inaccuracy which was pretty bad at times) barely mentioned any "muh slaves white devil"

Then it went overboard with the interracial relationships and oppressed women and lesbos schtick.
>>
>>30308386
>fighting 69th
>off-the-boat paddys talked into dying for muh abolitions
>not even once
>>
>>30308435
None of that pissed me off near as much as the totally abandonment of Cullen's quest to find his wife's killer. I stopped watching because they never even hinted at picking up that story arc after he killed the wrong man.

Oh yeah and the gun info really was shit
>>
>>30308960
I stopped watching not long after his britbong waifu got ghosted and the swede( who i actually liked a lot) went full retard.

But the real reason the guns were poorly researched in most areas is because their armorer is a mouth breathing retard.
>>
File: 4261_2.jpg (232KB, 728x409px) Image search: [Google]
4261_2.jpg
232KB, 728x409px
>>30308386
Just watch Gettysburg again.
>>
File: 2003_gods_and_generals_020.jpg (111KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
2003_gods_and_generals_020.jpg
111KB, 1024x683px
>>30309266
Gods and Generals is one of my favorite movies desu senpai
>>
File: 1432153609563.gif (489KB, 497x373px) Image search: [Google]
1432153609563.gif
489KB, 497x373px
>>30309266
>>30309286
>they will never make the third part
>>
>>30309324
The Magnificent Seven was a pretty good movie too. though doesn't relate much the the Civil War.

Had some of the best, like Steve Mcqueen.
>>
File: 4261_5.jpg (209KB, 728x409px) Image search: [Google]
4261_5.jpg
209KB, 728x409px
>>30309286
But it was so long and pointless. Fucking chamberlain pontificating for 15 minutes about roman shit, a lot of weird character development for Jackson that leads no where, awkward voice overs: "it is much harder to change from column of fours to line of battle, and if we are called to blah blah blah" you don't need to tell us 3 times movie.
>>
>>30309348
Forgot to say it still good, just not as good as Gettysburg, thanks to Gettysburg not getting sidetracked so hard and in such stupid ways.
>>
>>30308386
The average Confederate soldier did not own even a single slave and was also a goddamn human being.
>>
File: scramble.jpg (879KB, 2048x1469px) Image search: [Google]
scramble.jpg
879KB, 2048x1469px
I have heard that the same guys are making a Battle of Britain mini series. Just wishful thinking?
>>
>>30308386
Possible? Yes.
Going to happen? No.

Anon, the Civil War is only invoked in pop culture for morality plays about the plight of the blacks and to portray the North as enlightened, secular, modernists fighting gap toothed, backwards, rednecks seeking to torture innocent little black children.
>>
>>30309348
>But it was so long and pointless.
These films are shot in the "Epic" format. like Ben Hur or the Ten Commandments. they're supposed to be long. but i don't see them as pointless.

>Fucking chamberlain pontificating for 15 minutes about roman shit,
It's drawing similarities with their situation and it highlights these characters educated backgrounds instead of making them pig farmers who don't even know what rome is. this isn't die hard long movies will be slow at some points.
>a lot of weird character development for Jackson that leads no where.
Movies like this tend to try and fit as much real life information as possible. so it tends not to do much. but i'd rather have a few scenes of him talking about his time as a Physics teacher than just hear a "hyuck hyuck i sure hate niggers"

>awkward voice overs: "it is much harder to change from column of fours to line of battle, and if we are called to blah blah blah" you don't need to tell us 3 times movie.
i'll agree on this one.
>>
>>30308386
There will never be a show depicting the camaraderie of southern rebels and the discrimination of Irish conscripts in the north. Also I wanna see a realisitic rendition of battle of the monitor vs the merrimack
>>
>>30309469

>epic format
I get that but to me it comes down to wasted scenes. I just felt there was a lot of wasted screen time, The Godfather and Lawrence of Arabia didn't spend so much time on stuff that was ultimately pointless to the plot.

>It's drawing similarities with their situation and it highlights these characters
Sure but it's so forced, in Gettysburg the characterization was so subdued esp for chamberlain, you're told who he is and how he's educated in plot relevant scenes like his speech to the deserters actually means something to the plot instead of just jacking off about drawing epic parallels

>but i'd rather have a few scenes of him talking about his time as a Physics teacher than just hear a "hyuck hyuck i sure hate niggers"
yeah i can agree with that but again it just felt really ham fisted for me, like that little girl subplot was really cringe worthy but the plot line with his cook was well done.

Like i said its still a good movie but jsut felt kinda forced when compared to Gettysburg.
>>
>>30308386
I've always wanted to make a telltale style game set in the the Civil War. Sadly I am not a game designer
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.