[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the point behind Short Barreled Rifles? Don't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 10

File: MK18 4.png (2MB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
MK18 4.png
2MB, 1200x900px
What's the point behind Short Barreled Rifles? Don't you lose tons of energy with a short barrel? Would a SMG or PDW be a better option if you wanted a CQB type weapon?
>>
An SBR'd carbine will still be ballistically superior to both PDWs and SMGs.

Calibers like 5.56 and .308 will lose their edge out of short barrels, but other calibers like 7.62x39 and 300BLK do exceptionally well out of them. It's worth noting that there are loads that still do very well even in 5.56 SBR, so the benefits outweigh the detriments.

What you REALLY want in an SBR platform is an SBR bullpup, which retains quite a bit of barrel while being shorter than a traditional SBR ever could be.
>>
File: 1359948711709.jpg (467KB, 753x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1359948711709.jpg
467KB, 753x1024px
MK18 variants are used extensively by Special Operations because they are lightweight, deliver a harder punch than a SMG or PDW ever could and can be suppressed without being super unwieldy.
>>
>>30255813
>>30255885
What's with the DBAL being mounted so far back? Why wouldn't it be far forward?
>>
>>30255813
Better ballistics, higher effective range. Additionally for a military, ammunition and magazine commonality is a huge bonus. For a military using ARs, on top of ammunition commonality you also gain the ability to quick swap uppers as the mission dictates.

Basically, short carbines are more effective, easier on logistics, and more flexible than sub machineguns.
>>
>>30255813
>Don't you lose tons of energy with a short barrel?

Considering you're in close quarters distance and you have 30 5.56 rounds, it does its intended job well.

Are you one of those faggots who actually think the extra muzzle velocity in an M16 makes it better than a 14.5 M4?

Of course, you can survive this because he's using an sbr which means the rounds hit like feathers amirite?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFivB9JJYvk
>>
>>30255953
Hand placement further up towards the muzzle. Night usage is probably not the owner's primary concern.
>>
>>30255953
>>30256045

Also with the switch you can tap it twice to turn it on constant mode so that your hand won't be blocking the IR beam.
>>
>>30255953
In the second picture it is placed literally as far forward as it can be behind the front sight. It just looks short because the rifle is so short.

I dunno what is up with the OP rifle.
>>
>>30256070
If you read Jeff Gurwitch's article he talks about the trend to place the PEQ-15 back further with support hand in front of it.

http://www.defensereview.com/tactical-ar-15m4m4a1-carbine-aftermarket-accessories-for-military-combat-applications-the-competition-to-combat-crossover-part-iii/
>>
>>30256185
>Variable optic AND an offset micro optic
>Front BUIS but no rear.
>No sling

The fuck is happening here.
>>
>>30256217
They shoot for their job but that doesn't mean they know what the fuck they are doing.
>>
File: keepitshort.jpg (350KB, 1328x747px) Image search: [Google]
keepitshort.jpg
350KB, 1328x747px
>>30256217
The SpectreDR is pretty horseshit at 1x, trust me I've owned and sold one.
>>
>>30256243
Oh and forgot to mention, eye relief with rear buis is mighty sketchy as well.
>>
>Would a SMG or PDW be a better option if you wanted a CQB type weapon?
Not really, despite what that foaming P90 autist will scream and shout. For not a lot more weight or length, and that weight category can be flexible, you can get vastly superior range and ballistic performance out of an SBR. This is why the SMG and PDW has, at best, been relegated to very niche roles. They're simply not as versatile or as effective as an SBR.
>>
>>30256243
>The SpectreDR is pretty horseshit at 1x
Spectres are pretty horseshit at just about everything, desu senpai.
>>
File: 3rdSFG.jpg (988KB, 3280x2059px) Image search: [Google]
3rdSFG.jpg
988KB, 3280x2059px
>>30256110
If you look at the pic and count rail slots that PEQ in >>30255885 is about as far forward as it gets.
>>
File: heat.jpg (597KB, 1770x996px) Image search: [Google]
heat.jpg
597KB, 1770x996px
>>30256284
I'm not going to disagree.
>>
>>30256217
>Variable optic AND an offset micro optic
Specter's suck at 1x. Rotating the gun is faster than flipping the mechanical zoom.

>Front BUIS but no rear.
He has a backup red dot. And a backup laser. And back up irons on the Elcan. Do you really need a quinary redundant setup?
>>
>>30256217
>>30256238
There is a sling, it's on the other side. As for the offset RDS, it's a backup for the Spectre if need be. The front sight isn't necessary but doesn't cost you much in terms of weight or bulk.
>>
>>30256217

Oh and I forgot
>No sling

You can clearly see it on the other side of the rifle, he's obviously a lefty.
>>
>>30256305
Not many people could, sadly. Never in my life did I feel so robbed after really looking at what I spent $1200 on.
>>
File: image.jpg (922KB, 2592x1144px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
922KB, 2592x1144px
>>30256305
Omega SBR bro
>I ruin it with Anderson lower
>>
>>30256305

Hey riddle me this: when your ASR mount for your omega is locked down, can you still rotate the suppressor a little bit back and forth?
>>
>>30256379
Eh, mine is just a CMMG I had when I decided to file a form 1.
>>
>>30256419
If I don't snug it up against the mount taper first before locking the ring it will wiggle.
>>
>>30256379
I think it was your engraving that ruined it
>>
>>30255813
-controllability
-manoeuvrability, particularly indoors

Caliber can be picked out. Not everything crumbles below umpteen inches. Look at .30 carbine and 5.7FN, they made handguns in it.
>>
>>30256446

Maybe I just need to snug mine down a little more. A couple times after shooting it would wiggle a little bit too though. The teeth are still bit down exactly where they were on the mount, it's just like a little wiggle in the mount/can itself. I unno.
>>
>>30255953
That's not a dbal. That's a PEQ15.
>>
>>30256448
Haha, that was part of the fun. You order your cans yet? End up going through JB?

>>30256419
Mine hasn't.
>>
>>30256474
Hit up SiCo if that doesn't fix it. They may ask to inspect the mount module for repair or replacement. I had a friend that stripped out the lock ring teeth on his Specwar and it was there and back in his hands within 2 weeks.
>>
>>30256497
>You order your cans yet? End up going through JB?
Yep. Omega was sent off last week and the Octane will be placed this week
>>
>>30256474
Make sure the outer sleeve isn't separating from the core or the mount isn't loose with the rest of the can. I would also undo it and turn it a bit tighter before locking it.
>>
>>30256510
Nice, I forget, 9 or 45? I'm hoping to hear back on the check cash date.
>>
>>30256272
Oh look it's this fag again.
>>
>>30256558
>t. guy who can't disprove a single thing posted
>>
>>30255813
>point
use regular ammo in regular gun. reloading shooting etc is all the same.
>don't you lose energy
yeah some calibers more than others. eg 7.62x39 retains more energy out of a SBR than 5.45
>are SMGs or PDWs better?
soft armor will stop most SMG ammo and PDWs are another set of parts/types of ammo you have to keep track of.

basically do what makes you happy but armed forces sometimes don't want to deal with the extra hassle of multiple guns if they can have identical guns with short barrels
>>
>>30255813

>concerned about energy
>suggests an SMG or PDW
FUCKING KEK
>>
>>30255953
keeps weight away from muzzle for OMG tactical target transitions
>>
>>30256307
>>30256243
>Specter's suck at 1x. Rotating the gun is faster than flipping the mechanical zoom.

What I mean to say, is that if he knows the 1x setting is trash and will use an offset dot anyway, why even have a variable optic on there? Why not something lighter and smaller like an ACOG?

>>30256310
>The front sight isn't necessary but doesn't cost you much in terms of weight or bulk.

Without a rear sight it's useless though.

>>30256307
>He has a backup red dot. And a backup laser. And back up irons on the Elcan. Do you really need a quinary redundant setup?

Why have just a front sight, but no rear? Makes sense to either have both or have neither. Not to have one.
>>
>>30256558
he's right tho
>>
>>30256631
>Why not something lighter and smaller like an ACOG?
Perhaps the Elcan was all the armory had for him.

>rear sight stuff
perhaps he had the sights on with a CCO, got in country and realized he wanted magnification on the rifle, slapped the Elcan on and realized he couldn't get the eye relief he wanted and pulled the rear sight off without thinking of it beyond that.
>>
>>30256631
>why even have a variable optic on there?

Because they get what's issued. SU-230's replaced ACOGs that were phased out in SOPMOD Block I.

>Without a rear sight it's useless though.

Not really. You can use the tube of the Elcan as a very large rear sight aperture quite effectively at the distances it would be necessary.

>Why have just a front sight, but no rear?

See above. They've already got 5lbs of bullshit strapped to their rifle, nobody wants to carry extra weight they're never going to need or use.
>>
>>30256631
Most likely he doesn't get issued an ACOG anymore.

If you pop up the front you can still use it as a crude last ditch aiming device even without a rear. Better than empty rail at least. Again, you have to realize that this is only an issue after the SpectreDR goes down, the red dot goes down, and the vis laser on the PEQ15 goes down. So in reality it makes no real difference, but it also costs almost no weight to have it on either.
>>
>>30256681
Just seems weird that a Tier-1 looking dude wouldn't have other optics in the armory. I figured the SOPMOD kits had all kinds of shit that came with.
>>
>>30256702
The SOPMOD program has parts available from it, but what you get down at the unit level still comes down to what gets ordered in.
>>
File: image.jpg (510KB, 1632x1224px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
510KB, 1632x1224px
>>30256576
What was there to disapprove? You asked me about my preference and i asked you to calculate mechanical moment difference, which you weren't even aware of.

And you are very much incorrect about length. But if course you're too stupid to realize that.

See pic. Top is my AR sbr with an 8.5 inch barrel, with stocked extended to match the length of pull of the PS90. Middle is the PS90 with the trigger location matching the AR, and bottom is the CMMG P90 barrel placed as installed. Its over 10 inchs, btw. Typicall, I would let the reader draw their own very obvious conclusion, but since you have demonstrated an exceptional degree of stupidity, let me just spell it out for you: a p90 sbr has a definitive OAL advantage over an AR sbr.
>>
>>30256878
holy shit dude, no one cares, you acted like a total dweeb in that thread and your snowflake piece is still irrelevant.
>>
>>30256878
Why were you unable to wrap your mind around the concept of local purchasing?
>>
>>30256530
45 so I have an excuse to buy a mk23
>>
>>30256928
What you really mean is, no one cares to be proven wrong and stupid. It's ok, I understand.

>>30256956
unable? no. I simply thought it silly that you would, essentially, limit your own choices when no such external restrictions exist. I thought it even sillier that you would impose that on someone else's purchase decision.

If we all traded locally, we'll all still be subsistence farmers.
>>
>>30257227
no one cares. you and your shitty attitude are irrelevant to this thread. shoo.
>>
>>30255885
>thumb over bore
What a fucking poser.
>>
>>30257255
if my "shitty attitude" deters you from facts, well, my suggestion is that you never enter the professional workforce. You won't have a good time there.

Ciao
>>
>>30257287
shoo. bye bye.
>>
>>30257260
you realize the PEQ15's activation button is there, right? A lot of people who actually do real work with their guns dislike tape switches.
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.