[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ok /k/ I'm about to pull a trigger on Ruger AR-556 and go

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

File: UpperReceiver.jpg (218KB, 1000x700px) Image search: [Google]
UpperReceiver.jpg
218KB, 1000x700px
Ok /k/ I'm about to pull a trigger on Ruger AR-556 and go shoot some shit today before the sun sets.

Anything I should know before taking this girl home?
>>
>>30102479
That you would be better off getting a PSA Premium kit and a stripped lower instead
>>
File: Wig4.jpg (82KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
Wig4.jpg
82KB, 480x640px
>>30102479
Overpaying for an AR
In 2016
In America
Sad
>>
proprietary parts
>>
>>30102517
The fuck? This shit goes for $600 and it's pre-built.Typical /k/unt.
>>
>>30102535
For 600 dollars you could buy a much better gun in pieces and assemble it yourself, dont be stubborn. You asked us what you should know and we told you.. faggot
>>
>>30102564
Not much better. Plus I can't go shooting with it today faggot.
>>
Do it OP. These kunts here, it's in their nature to go against the grain of anything and everything. I'm getting one too because I've got a few rugers already, their warranty is good, and why not get another one. For the price you get pre built, not everyone wants to build their first ayy R.
>>
Yes. Ruger is fine and will serve you well. If anything goes wrong they will service it no problem. Shit, they serviced the full auto Mini 14s they made for 30 years after the registry closed. They are good to go / God tier.

Everyone here is going to parrot the build your own meme though desu.
>>
>>30102479
I pulled the trigger on my AR several hundred times yesterday, shot some shit, placed it in the back seat and took it home. Beyond the basics, there's not really much you need to know.
>>
I think the S&W M&P Sport 2 is a better buy but nothing inherently wrong with the Ruger. If you just want a plinker get it. If you're autistic and want to go in depth about barrel lengths, the 1/8 twist rate the Ruger has, which grain bullets work best with those factors, etc. then you're probably better off building like the rest of us so you have something to soothe the 'tism.
>>
>>30102925
Wuts wrong with 1:8?
>>
>>30102564

Not really, a PSA Premium kit costs $530+$20 shipping and you still need sights and a lower. The Ruger comes prebuilt already with a chrome lined barrel and sights for around $600 shipped
>>
>>30102608
>Muh instant gratification

A rifle is something that will last your entire life and maybe even your kids. Wanting to shoot one today isn't an excuse millennial.
>>
>>30102929
Nothing is "wrong" with 1/8, some very precise rifles use that twist. It's not AS effective as stabilizing some of the heavier bullets as 1/7. So long as you have 1/7, 1/8, or 1/9 though it doesn't matter unless you're a hardcore competition shooter, the types of guys who shoot camp perry every year.
>>
>>30102950
Let him get this one and then he'll build one eventually, it's a win win for everyone and the gun community.

I'm wanting this ruger too. only thing i'm worried about is the front sight/gas block. I hear that's permanent. I'm not good with AR's so I'm looking to learn what to do about eliminating that front sight if I want to. Would I have to get a new barrel and gas block thing?
>>
>>30102975
Literally just cut it off with a dremel
>>
>>30102975
I'm not familiar with how Ruger has theirs pinned on but it's usually pretty easy.

https://youtu.be/JBeIAjE1BhI

You'll notice he puts the front sight post back onto the rifle but if you wanted to you could simply add a low profile gas block.

Even if you do have to remove the barrel and replace it that too is not hard. But if you're new please buy some go/no go gauges. I don't want to shill for brownells or midway but they have a good if not overpriced selection if you can't find what you need on amazon.
>>
>>30102997
I don't wanna be too ghetto but I guess that would work
>>30103011
Thanks. yea I will eventually want different iron sights and would get rid of the stock front sight. I've just heard that Ruger's front sight is very hard to remove.
>>
>>30103064
If you're going to put money into the gun why not just go ahead and get something nicer set up how you want?

I totally understand the Ruger as something cheap to get you into the game fast and easy but I don't see the point in putting ANY money into the gun when you can get a BCM upper set up similarly for around the same price. Then you just need a cheap lower and boom. Much nicer carbine that putting money in to down the road makes sense to do.
>>
>>30103117
He will end up buying the rifle, waste money on it, then getting bored with it, and eventually build an upper, then after some time a lower, afterwards he will trade his shit rifle for a decent optic. It is the way of the ARfag
>>
>>30103238
filtered desu
>>
>>3010311
Not to thread jack but....want to assemble a rifle my 5' skinny wife can happily shoot with me. Should I go 14.5 carbine or 16mid bcm upper
>>
>>30103452
14.5" mid length. That's a thing you know. Softer recoiling than the carbine gas system and should be that much easier for her to handle than the 16" would be.
>>
OP here. Update: I didn't buy it. I'm saving up for $1200 beauty that I saw at the store.

AR-556 looked too cheap and looked like it would be pain in the ass to remove the front sight.
>>
>>30104165
What did you find in the store that warrants $1200
>>
>>30103264
lol
>>
File: BCMBUILDX.jpg (619KB, 3455x1213px) Image search: [Google]
BCMBUILDX.jpg
619KB, 3455x1213px
>>30103117
A BCM upper will cost more than the ruger. If you are going to get a really nice BCM upper why build the rest of it shit as well?
>>
>>30104165

Stop being a fucktard op, if you're willing to spend 1200$ on a AR fucking build your own you pussy faggot.
>>
>>30104286
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-16-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-mid-16.htm

Cheaper than the Ruger

And because a lower is a lower is a lower.
>>
>>30104487

yes 460$ is cheaper than the ruger. You leave out the bcg, charging handle, handgaurds, lower, lower parts kit, stock assembly, rear iron sight.

I agree that he should not be buying the ruger. But the price point building on a bcm upper assembly is going to be much higher, and if youre going that route you should make it sweet instead of being a nigger on the rest.
>>
>>30104555
I concur for the most part but if you're trying to keep it on the cheap for entry level you can always upgrade later. And besides the upper is the most important part. But either way that BCM upper with charging handle and bcg, a magpul mbus rear and a PSA lower he'd have a better investment than the Ruger for comparable or just a little bit more. I went with a BCM lower for my rifle build and wasn't disappointed though.
>>
>>30104132
Thank you, was looking at that combo b4 but read that it might not be as reliable as the carbine length with 14.5 for cheaper ammo
>>
>>30102925
I got the sport 2 and love it.
>>
>>30102479
they're your shekels; blow them any way you wish.

none of these faggots ever assembled an AR. they read too much internet. go get your fun and shoot many boolits.
>>
God Ruger makes shit rifles
>>
>>30104165
>AR-556 looked too cheap
The fuck does that even mean? What part(s) looked "cheap"?
>>
>>30102479

You shouldn't have any problems with the AR-556. Other than the fact that the delta ring is proprietary, and that the pins are above the barrel rather than below, everything else about the rifle is on par.

The tangible benefits of the two aforementioned parts is that you can reduce wobble in any plastic or drop-in handguard that you mount, and that if you decide to remove the FSB, you can dimple and mount any low profile gasblock without fear of the taper pin holes interfering with the set screws.

I prefer building my own rifles; but for the money, the Ruger is a good product. If you don't buy that rifle today, post the question in ARG and ask for Hi-Powered. He owns one personally, and might have more insights.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.