[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why not use the transmission fluid from a vehicle to cool mounted

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

File: vickers_mk1-2.jpg (31KB, 650x597px) Image search: [Google]
vickers_mk1-2.jpg
31KB, 650x597px
Why not use the transmission fluid from a vehicle to cool mounted machinegun? Its lighter and less voluminous than spare barrels, and you dont even need a pump.
>>
I have such an erection for the Vickers. I'm not usually a machinegun guy but I just love that thing.
>>
Add a radiator, header tank and a pressure gauge.

Just how long do you think an attack that would need a water cooled heavy mg last?
In training the longest attack I participated in (coy in defence with IMV in support) went for eleven minutes.
On op, they are over in less than five.
The longest I know of from history is Kapoyong and that was eight waves over two days.
>>
>>30090731
Well the Brits tested the Vickers after WW2 for shits n giggles and to get rid of old ammunition stockpiles.
They fired that one single gun for seven days straight. Seven. Goddamn. Days. Of. Full Auto.

The barrel was a smoothbore in the end, but it is amazing how well water-cooling works. After the ordeal the gun was 'in serviceable condition', which says something about the Maxim design and the build quality.
>>
>>30090759
They changed the barrels ever hour or so. But that's still and incredible amount of wear on the barrels. They were firing 250 round (?) belts without pause as fast as they could load them onto the gun.
>>
>>30090759
>Seven. Goddamn. Days. Of. Full Auto.

I have flashback of that Res vs Blue episode
>>
So imagine you put heat sinks on the outside of the barrel, inside the waterjacket. That would keep the barrel even cooler, no? And with only a small added price of manufacture (although a much higher level of precision), it would seem to improve barrel life a good bit.

But then, maybe it would dump heat into the water too quickly.

So...maybe replace the water? With something like Antifreeze or...Transmission Fluid?
>>
>>30090829
Water is a really good coolant because it takes a lot of energy to heat it up, and a ludicrous amount of energy to go from liquid to steam once you've hit 100C.

It's also as non-toxic as anything can ever really get, is relatively kind to the gun, can be found easily in nature in a lot of climates, and if water isn't around naturally then you must supply your troops with it anyway, so there's nothing new for the logistics guys to keep track of.

And what the fuck is "too quickly" here? What do you imagine could happen? And what exactly would your replacement coolants do that water can't?
>>
>>30090883
I'll conceed all your first points. Water is good because...well, water. It does a lot of shit very well.

My theory was that if your heatsinks were good enough, you could boil the water in the jacket, causing a steam buildup and possible explosion. Something with a much higher boiling point might be preferable.

I'm not saying we should switch now, I was more trying to get at a situation where barrel radiation might outpace water's cooling properties. Space Shuttle Door Gunner or some such.

You know, /k/ thoughts at 6am
>>
>>30090968
You could have the heat sinks on the outside of the water jacket rather than in it. Hopefully dissipating heat before it can build up enough. You don't need the barrel to receive additional cooling just to ensure what you have cooling it stays cool.
>>
>>30091006
>why not both?

My only thought is that heat sinks on the outside of the jacket might get caked in mud (remember, we're talking WWI here, Verdun not B-29s). An internal heat sink would stay clean.

I know we didn't have the materials back then to be efficient enough to beat water's thermal radiation properties, but I like to imagine.
>>
>>30091064
Internal wouldn't do much of anything. It would work best releasing heat from the water into the air. Even if it is caked in mud it would be more effective than releasing heat from the barrel into the water. It needs to be cooling the coolant to be most effective for the situation. With it being a fixed gun mud wouldn't be the biggest issue for it.

But this is just some half assed engineering at 0600
>>
>>30091087
>internal wouldn't do much
I'm just wondering how much, and would it be worth the extra resources. Probably not, but...maybe? I don't know the physics/economics to work it out. Also, I'm trying to think forward, so how about a heatsink, water-jacket space gun? Boiling lots of water would be an effective method if dissipating heat in a vacuum, right?

>half-ass engineering at oh...six hundred
fugg, I'm just some dropout retard. You don't have to impress me with your fancy college degree and smart European mathematics. I'm happy enough to accept that I'm wrong just because I'm some dumbass.
>>
>>30091209
Internal wouldn't do any more than the water would and would just be a waste. Heatsinks work by disapating heat into air. If it was internal it would be taking heat from the barrel that the water would take anyway and transferring it into the water. It would do nothing. As for education I am an aircraft mechanic, enlisted. I just know cooling is a thing. I am not much better than you.
>>
>>30091401
Heat sinks work by maximizing surface area on one side to surface area on the other...? I thought. Differential surfaces led to greater radiation.

I'm not saying I'm right, I'm a moron. But what am I missing?
>>
>>30090883
>a ludicrous amount of energy to go from liquid to steam once you've hit 100C.

And this is how the Vickers works. The water jacket rapidly reaches 100 C and then the water starts to boil. The amount of energy water carries away as steam holds the coolant temp to this temperature.

That is why coolants like ATF won't work. Less heat capacity and too high a boiling point. Other points about the general availability of water are very valid as well.
>>
>>30090968
>causing a steam buildup and possible explosion.

Nope. Vickers water jacket is vented.
>>
Why put that extra strain on your logistics when soldiers can just piss in the damn thing to cool it off?
>>
>>30092498
10/10 the final solution to barrel cooling
>>
>>30092717

The smells of the Great War:

>blood
>guts
>corpses
>piss.... boiling acrid ammonia piss from every fixed MG
>>
>>30089895
Because even on that topic, water is better in literally every way except rust prevention. Do you know why we don't use pure water in cars for coolant? Rust and it freezes at too high of a temperature. Literally the only reasons we have antifreeze mixes.
>>
>>30092498

Um, in emergency's they did. Like for real.
>>
>>30092498
>>30092717
The Russians had a huge cap on the water jacket of their Maxims to accommodate improvised water sources like snow and piss.
>>
>>30092761
>be in korea
>imjin river
>many a gook
>fire your vickers until you run out of water
>piss in your vickers until you run out of piss
>still many a gook to fight
>fight those gooks until you run out of ammo
>keep fighting them with bayonets and buttplates
>you eventually run out of men to fight all those gook divisions
>>
>>30089895
>Why not use the transmission fluid from a vehicle to cool mounted machinegun? Its lighter and less voluminous than spare barrels, and you dont even need a pump.
Because replacing it in field conditions would be harder.

Also petrol industry wasn't that well developed back when they adopted those MG's.

On top of it it's carcinogenic in case you didn't know.
>>
>>30093857
Oh I forgot to add.

Water isn't flammable. You can actually hit the cooler and if it burns afterwards - nah, you don't want it.
>>
File: youmakemesad.jpg (95KB, 1045x809px) Image search: [Google]
youmakemesad.jpg
95KB, 1045x809px
>>30090721
>not usually a machine gun guy
>not a machine gun
>not machine gun
>
>>
>>30091401
Lewis gun had the barrel in a shroud, on the barrel where cooling fins.
The muzzle device and shroud worked to take the effects of foreign to cause a partial vacuume at the muzzle, the is drew air from the rear of the shroud to the front, providing a cooling effect.
>>
>>30090817
Which one?
>>
>>30090968
I mean the jackets are just simple stamped steel that can probably withstand far less pressure than a soda/beer can. If any steam pressure build it will probably just find a place to leak from.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.