[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm considering enlisting in the Army/Navy/Chair Force for

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (174KB, 350x500px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
174KB, 350x500px
I'm considering enlisting in the Army/Navy/Chair Force for the EOD. Has anyone here had experience with it before?

Give a fellow /k/ommando some advice
>>
>>30005144
What would you like to know specifically?
>>
It's pretty hard, at least USMC EOD is. Navy EOD seems like the sickest gig, since you get to go through BUD/S I think?
>>
>>30005159
Advice specifically.

I know I'm going to go a bunch of places bast basic and the 40 weeks of special training they have. What should I expect beyond that? Crazy shit happening all the time?
>>
>>30005144
Why are you going EOD?
>>
>>30005219
All the services see a lot of work and call for being attached to unusual places or units.

In the Navy, EOD is almost always attached to a SEAL or joint special operations taskforce. The Navy side focuses more on mark & clear operations and acting as general purpose explosives guys. Their post-EOD course training tends to, honestly, be a bit weaker on the ordnance and advanced IED defeat methods. They get a lot more shooty training to keep up with SEALs. Within the EOD community it's not uncommon to think of the younger Navy EOD as prima donnas who forget some of the fundamentals of EOD work in lieu of being SEAL lite. They do get cool gear though.

Army has the widest variety of EOD units. There are vanilla EOD units which do a little bit of everything (convetional support mounted and dismounted, bio, chem, security, SOF support ,etc) when they get whored out for it. There are also units which specifically do chemical/bio weapon defeat. If you're a big science nerd and want that, the Army is for you. Army also has certain units which are tasked only with SOF support, but there is (or was) a unit entry selection.

Marines and USAF are about like the Army, including having diversity in unit types, though obviously lesser numbers.

There are small doctrinal and equipment differences between all the services, but nothing major. Any EOD from any branch can pretty easily adapt to work with other branches (and this happens). Generally, EOD from different branches will talk more than EOD will talk to different MOS in their own branch.

All units do a lot of training in the states (Navy does more shooty, Army/USAF/USMC do more ordnance-y). All do some degree of live work to clear out munitions on military bases, but the Army does the most work to support civilian police and train them. All services do plainclothes security in states and overseas.
>>
Also interested in EOD.

Do they limit the intake per year?
>>
EOD
NonUS
Working with USArmy EOD last year in Afg they were bitching that they were in a drawdown phase now that they were MissionAccomplished again. Guys who were re-signing their new contracts were having to move out of EOD to other careers if they wanted to stay army.
>>
>>30005980
Depends on branch.
>>30006139
That means that they're probably well below standards or have a list of complaints against them.

During the drawdown, generally they cut the fat off the Army, and then heighten enlistment standards, they don't move the good guys out. Our military is so good because almost all of our NCOs and senior Officers have combat experience, deployments, and have worked in the field. We are at war every 10 years, after all.

Tell them don't worry though, after the next president takes office we'll be full swing in Iraq/Syria, Obama just doesn't want to fuck up his legacy.
>>
>>30005353
I saw this great documentary called The Hurt Locker
>>
>>30006224
Speaking of which he was a ranger before coming to EOD. Would that even be a possible later move in real life?
>>
>>30005144
Can you pass a written exam with a pass mark of 100%?

Can you pass a practical exam with 7 automatic fails if you fail to do something?

Do you like explosives?

If you said yes to all three, go for it!
>>
>>30006248
Ranger probably meant tabbed, not scrolled.
>>
>>30006199
>Obama just doesn't want to fuck up his legacy.
It's a bit late for that.
>>
>>30006300
For you and I, sure, but liberals will tout for decades to come how Black Jesus singlehandedly saved America by not deploying troops to Syria/Iraq, and how
1) If Hillary succeeds him, Hillary saw what needed to be done to resolve the issues of the Middle East, and acted! Deploying our troops to Iraq and Syria and saving America from an inevitable onslaught of terrorist attacks
2) If Trump wins, Trump screwed the whole thing up by brutishly deploying to the Middle East and inflicting our evil, oppressive, democratic culture on those poor, brave freedom-fighting muslims.
>>
>I'm considering enlisting in the Army/Navy/Chair Force for the EOD

Why?
>>
Army EOD tech reporting in. Army EOD is going through a bit of a draw down as of late. Many of us are actually switching over to the air force. From what I understand they are still offering bonuses even and that is where all the money and nice gear is.
>>
>>30006199
Army, navy, airforce?
>>
>>30005355
To add on to what you're saying, I have some second hand knowledge about Air-force EOD just from my brother being in. Air-force EOD does some support work with police forces, but I think that really depends on where you're stationed. Brother did some work with the Secret Service back when Bush Jr. was in office also. Air-force EOD seems to be on loan to other gov organisations quite a bit, but I have no idea if that's something that applies to the Air-force more then other branches.
>>
>>30005144
yes i have, AIT is in fort lee virginia and eglin air force base, do it going through air force, its easier. I.e. better accommidations throughout training
>a ton of fun
> intelligence needed but you will meet many stupid recruits who got into the training program, somehow..
>lots of studying without materials provided to bring back to the barracks with you.. so a lot of mental recall will be used.
the only way they can test you is on a time basis because in the field for most first year EOD you have all the time int he world
>munition fields where bombs and arty shells do not explode
>do not be intimidated by the staff sergeant instructor(forget his name) in Eglin who might threaten to skull fuck you if you mess up.
>battlebuddy dropped a stick of TnT in formation. wtf right?
also, go to the mall whenever possible at Fort Lee, and do not spend all your saved income on strippers in Destin outside Eglin, many a men went broke in the first week.
you'll be fine, honestly, just go.

Last: if you fail out (happens all the time) you will be reassigned a new MOS and usually you do not get to pick it at that point in the military
i lasted until the 8th month in to phase two of training, the depression got me( its chemical i cant help it through therapy) and i had left the army, with the option to of continuing EOd training possible but not chosen. rough time but would go back now.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.