/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anyone here own this and is it a good innawoods knife k

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 9

File: 51zyFDZcALL._SL1024_.jpg (39KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
51zyFDZcALL._SL1024_.jpg
39KB, 1024x1024px
Does anyone here own this and is it a good innawoods knife knife?

http://www.amazon.com/Ontario-Spec-Marine-Raider-Bowie/dp/B001BMTZSY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1463673879&sr=8-1&keywords=ontario+bowie
>>
File: s32h04.jpg (234KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
s32h04.jpg
234KB, 1600x1200px
>>29997847

Yes, but not superb.

Ontario has great designs but you pay for what you get.

I generally like to have either a bigger knife or a smaller one.

9-11 inches are great for extended outdoor use, 4-6 inches are great for utility.
>>
>>29997867
Is it hard to get a good edge? I have the spec plus kukri and it's a pain in the ass to sharpen because either its the shape or Ontario's 1095 steel.
>>
Is a regular USMC ka-bar good for innawoods?
>>
>>29998193
I think so. I haven't had any problems with the rat tail tang breaking, but I own a Camillus version of it. The knife platform isn't the best for chopping though.
>>
>>29998021

It gets dull easily under constant chopping etc.

It doesnt come with a good edge, you'l have to regrind it and sharpen it yourself.
>>
>>29999524
Are there any similar better knives for the price of this bowie?
>>
>>29997847
>22.4 ounces

u wot m8? Granted, my kukri is 23 ounces (660 grams) but it blows the ontario and any other KLOs right out of the water.

That said - if you want a knife for Innawoods, and you don't live in the southern hemisphere, let me just quote Mors Kochansky for you:

"A survival knife for the northern forests is first & foremost a wood working tool"

here's a link, read it:
http://www.exploringoverland.com/overland-tech-travel/2013/9/16/a-proper-knife.html
>>
>>30000000
Sorry.
>>
File: DSC_03812.jpg (181KB, 800x531px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_03812.jpg
181KB, 800x531px
>>30000722

My knife is 11inches, 14 oz and cuts yours in half fuccboi
>>
File: hi_16.5_ww2.jpg (91KB, 576x300px) Image search: [Google]
hi_16.5_ww2.jpg
91KB, 576x300px
>>30000754

you wish.
>>
File: IMG_20121223_213300.jpg (532KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20121223_213300.jpg
532KB, 1600x1200px
>>29997847
Expensive Quality:
Esee 4,5,6
BK 2,7,9
EICKHORN/Boker GEK EDC, GEK 2000

Cheap but good blades:
every Mora
Real Steel bushcraft II
>>
>>30000869
>BK 2
>good innawoods knife

you feeling alright?
>>
>>30000888
i used that damn blade for things no knife should ever be put through.
it held up pretty well.

(stripped the coating, put a convex edge on it and got some micarta scales and a nice kydex for it)

its still my gets-shit-done-knife for very heavy woodwork/abuse. we build a whole monoxylon just with that blade. even fine work like fielddressing and skinning game works ok.
(processing fish ist a pain in the butt, though)
>>
>>30000965

Being an indestructible prybar does not a good bushcraft knife make.

You'd do better with a longer, heavier, properly balanced blade for chopping, or a smaller, more agile knife for woodworking.
>>
>>29998193
OK, not great, the Ontario sp1 or 498 aren't as nicely finished as the kabar brand kabar but they will work as well

>>29997847
It's a bit too big honestly, a smaller knife paired with a hatchet will be a lot more capable
>>
>>30000722
That's retarded, people watch too many bushcrafters and think survival is about carving spoons and pounding tour knife through shit
>>
>>30000825
>made in India

I bet you are proud
>>
>>30001760
people watch too many youtubers and think it's all about batoning wood and making feathersticks. I couldn't care less about carving spoons - learn to use chopsticks (unless you make soup), or just bring a spork.
>>
>>30001775
>made in Nepal

FTFY. Doesn't get better than HI or Tora.
>>
>>30001633
there are better knives for bushcraft, indeed.
but and overbuilt tank like the bk 2 still works good enough for me, especially for heavy duty woodworking (some may call it abuse).

sure its easier to build a figure 4 trap with an esee 4 or tops bob. but it does work with a bk2

and the bk2 is not just a sharpend prybar, it is a decent knife too.

look at the tops lil roughneck, thats what i call an indestructible, yet impractical cutting tool.
>>
>>30001967

https://www.topsknives.com/lil-roughneck

OMFG! that's not a sharpened prybar, that's a sharpened brick. $140 too. w00t?
>>
>>30001826
Yes, and most of the time that people baton wood and make feather sticks its not out of necessity

In the norhten woods the only time you'll need to split wood is in the winter and you'll need an axe to split enough, for the rest of the time you'll be able to find plenty of dry deadfall. At that pont the most effective woodworking tool you could carry would be a folding saw

People like to pound on their knives, and whittle sticks because its fun, they set out to find cutting tasks as a sort of hobby, the set up their outdoor excursions around opportunities to practice knife craft

Most simple knives can do what is needed in a survival situation, look at the early seasons of survivorman where he carried a buck 119 which is by today's standards a weak knife, it wouldn't do well in a YouTube inspired torture test but for real world use it works fine
>>
>>29998193
they arent full tang. if your knife is incapable of 1-tool work, you might as well bring a small whittling size blade
>>
>>30000888
the bk2 is almost literally the king of wood blades. if you carry anything larger, and that thing is not an axe, surrender to the fact that you dont know what you are doing. bar a machete in dense bush
>>
>>30001633
absolutely incorrect
>>
My best friend LOVES going innawoods with his SP-10. I prefer my kabar. The RTAK II is better than the SP-10 in my opinion for a big knife. Too bulky and the sheath for it is total crap. I rate 3/5.
>>
>>29997847
Grohmann #4
http://www.knifecenter.com/item/GR4S/Grohmann-Survival-Knife-Offset-Handle-with-Leather-Belt-Sheath
>>
>>30003200
>>30003208

good grief. what is this I don't even...

Seriously? a 1/4'' thick, saber grind, handle heavy prybar with a 5 1/4'' blade that weighs a friggin 16 oz. is "king of the wood blades"

Fucking A, 5-star master class diploma from the Dunning-Kruger school of bushcraft.

Hell, the BK7 is larger, lighter, thinner, and with a better grind. Not that it can hold a candle to a proper bushcraft knife like the woodlore, skookum, bushcrafter, genesis, gns, or any number of knives based on those designs.
>>
>>30003342
again, if you are buying something larger than a mora or bk2, and its not an axe, you are just playing out some croc dundee, rambo fantasy. the thickness of the steel is so you can beat the living fuck out of it with no regret, which is actually much healthier for the blade than chopping, which you seem to advocate. with a bk2 and a baton, you can chop down a hand length thick tree with relative ease. the stouter blade transforms the energy much more reliably than a long blade, approaching the effectiveness of a wedge/chisel.

no, sorry. just blatantly incorrect
>>
>>30003414
>being this clueless

the BK2 is inferior to everything, including the tracker, and that's saying something.

Like I said - Dunning-Kruger school of bushcraft all the way.
Some day you will learn, that having a sharpened prybar "that you can beat the living hell out of, just in case you really, really need to, during a tripple eclipse, in summer, on a leap year" is in every possible way worse than having a good knife instead.

Yours is the typical "no, seriously guys, my BK2 eeez a good knoife, honest" reaction of someone who has no idea what they're talking about. Go on, tell me more about how the BK2 is adequate for anything other than throwing it out and buysing a proper knife.
>>
>>30003743

Becker fans are known to be one of the most obnoxious communities.

Just check up Bladeforums. It's vomit inducing.

Also they lie to themsleves, because ESEE makes more functional knives and Busse makes tougher knives
>>
>>30003200
Its literally as heavy as a hatchet and not nearly as capable
>>
>>30003821
How are esee more functional? Apples to apples any of the Beckers compete and beat esee

The bk2 has a better handle than the 5, the bk7 is better than the 6, the bk16 is better than the 4
>>
>>30003821
i dont own a bk2, i own a brain
>>
>>29997847
Small axe + small knife is what you need.

Big knives are boat anchors when /out/
>>
>>30003743
also, by even including that science fiction mall ninja shit called the tracker, youve obsoleted your word. its apparent your interest lies in that of a collector, as nobody else even has that thing on their minds
>>
>>30003743
dont get me wrong on this.
i have a lot of better blades for bushcraft tasks.

i dont need a sharpended prybar "that you can beat the living hell out of, just in case you really, really need to, during a tripple eclipse, in summer, on a leap year". i just want one for some manly playtime in the woods.

if there is any kind of emercency situation that calls for a decent blade, i will surely grab my esee. but for chopping down trees and building dugout canoes or building a hut and doing other shit thats impractical in almost every survival situation, just for the sake auf doing it i rather rape my trusty abd cheap bk 2

>>30003342
the bk2 isnt a bushcraft blade.
its an abuseable "fuck-it-i-dont-care"-blade
>>
File: bk2vs.jpg (125KB, 500x334px) Image search: [Google]
bk2vs.jpg
125KB, 500x334px
>>30005367
confirmed for being clueless.

Again - you have no argument, so once again you go with the "but you have a tracker, so your opinion is invalid, cause you're a collector"

Yeah, I have what you can call a collection. And I do own a tracker.
And unlike 99% of people posting about it, who are just parroting something they read on the internet, I can actually speak from experience.
The tracker is a pretty effective knife. There's a whole bunch of problems with it, but being "science fiction" isn't one of them. I included the tracker in the discussion, to show you how far you have fallen, since you are incapable of discerning that yourself.

In other words. Git gud.

>>30006417
we all have our quirks man. I still think there are better options for the #yoloknife.

Plus - in any given situation, the knife you will have to rely on is the knife you carry, and I just don't see a reason to carry a BK2, ever.

Like thetracker, and a whole slew of "heavy duty survival knives", it's mostly a toy for general fuckery.

As for "fuck-it-i-don't-care" blades - if you don't care, why are you doing it in the first place?

I get where you're coming from - that knife probably has sentimental value for you, for being your original "survival knife", but seriously - here's a pictuer borrowed from the article I linked earlier. See the difference?

If I'm going to carry a heavy knife, and screw around chopping stuff, which is a rare occurence in normal conditions, I bring my kukri.

Besides that - I have 5 knives in my regular use rotation (3 fixed blades and 2 folders), the largest of which is a 1/8'' thick, 4.5'' blade.
>>
>>30006750
A toy for general fuckery is exactly why i bought it in the first place.
i wanted a sharpend piece of metal to experiment with.

and it did a great job so far, for what it is.

i am not a prepper or survival expert. the only reason why i do stupid stuff like building a canoe is that want to test my abilities and gather new experiences and by only using a bk2 it gets kind of a stoneage feeling to it. would use a stone but i dont know shit about making stone tools and maintainung them.
>>
>>30006894

eh. As long as you don't go full retard about pushing the bk2 as the "king of wood blades", have fun with whatever you want.
>>
>>30006750
lmfao you would be that same guy. you are so consistently irrelevant that it could be nobody else
>>
>>30006750
the tracker is a waste of good steel and actually made it impossible to do a lot of work with its obtuse and science fiction like design. its nothing. its not even a talking point. i would grab a kitchen knife first

yes, the bk2 and similar knives, with similar thickness, like the esee 5 i believe. they are built intentionally like axes. they are not built like machetes, because they arent going to function as machetes.

and the "sharpened prybar" colloquialism is true, but dont even try for a hilarious fucking second to imply that the knife wont cut anything a thinner blade can cut. it can be sharpened to a lethal edge just as much as any similarly angled blade can, but can do much more with that edge.

go polish your collection
>>
>>30008173

I see you still have no argument, so you bail yet again.

Go on - name one use of your precious BK2, king of the wood blades, that I couldn't use my regular knife for, or that a proper large knife wouldn't do better.
>>
File: tracker.jpg (436KB, 750x563px) Image search: [Google]
tracker.jpg
436KB, 750x563px
pic related, its an image of the tracker
>>
>>30008210
>>30008210
>proper large knife

this is where you fuck up. you are admitting you dont actually know what proper is in this situation. the proper large blade is either a machete or an axe. there is no such thing as a proper oversized blade. sometimes a cigar isnt a cigar, sometimes you buy big knives because you really are compensating. this isnt rambo
>>
>>30008210
im also wondering why the fuck you responded so quickly when ive slept and woken since my last posts. is this how you gain all that knife knowledge? shitposting on 4chan all hours of the night
>>
i dont know how to say this in clearer words but, if you unironically purchased a tracker, youve told everyone else you dont know what the fuck you are doing
>>
File: vlcsnap-2015-07-19-02h31m19s213.png (681KB, 900x506px) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2015-07-19-02h31m19s213.png
681KB, 900x506px
>>30008197
>impossible to do a lot of work with its obtuse and science fiction like design

yeah. Totally impossible to do anything with the design. Your stupidity is hilarious.
>>
the tracker was an attempt to miniturize an axe. its mechanically built for chopping. not only did it fuck up its ability to do literally anything else in the process, it failed at its original mission. tom brown is a respected person, but this design mustve came to him from the fucking cosmos, because it has no place in the area it purports
>>
>>30008244
>what are timezones: the post.

GMT+1
>>
>>30008261
yea, its prettty obvious you would resort to using examples of people using the knife. that you are so ignorant of shilling says something on its own. you bought the tracker, the jessmuk, and are now using people other than yourself to justify their value. a consistent case of cognitive bias concerning the word of strangers as actionable information. you got too much money and not enough brains
>>
>>30008281
>what is shitposting for 8 hours straight on a weekday, regardless of the time of day: the faggot

i hope you are just some retired old loon that likes things for novelty, because if you unironically stand by the things youve said otherwise, i fear for you as a person
>>
>>30008284

kek, lad.

Yeah - I bought the tracker (not entirely unironically, more for shits and giggles). I kept it, because I have a soft spot for it, despite how silly the concept is - kind of like that scruffy, slightly lame puppy that shows up at your door one day.

As for the jessmuk - you just proved how impossibly ignorant you are - this happens to be an outstanding knife. If you fail to see that, that's your problem.

>>30008265

more like a hatchet, but yea. It's nowhere near as bad as you say it is - the primary edge is actually quite decent. It's still an oversized piece - a hatchet masquerading as a knife, but like I said - at least I can speak from actual experience, not parroting someone else's "expert opinion" formed on the basis of tarot cards and goat's testicles.
>>
Why don't you niggers post in the knife general
>>
>>30008394
Given the quality of posts in this thread, that's no loss
>>
>>30008690
dont try your luck, the people posting here are 100% the same people in knife general. if arg and gear queer is homo general, knife general is shitpost general
>>
>>30008751
Point taken. Quite hillarious to see all these idiots lose their shit over a bk2 though.
>>
>>30008265
>but this design mustve came to him from the fucking cosmos

Not necessarily. That was the general philosophy of designing "survival knives" back then (using the term "knife" loosely). The design itself isn't as bad as one might think - it's the CONCEPT of making a knife that replaces all your tools that's fundamentally flawed.
>>
>>29997847
Best innawoods knife.
https://www.varusteleka.com/en/product/terava-skrama-bush-knife-carbon-w-leather-sheath/30189
>>
>>30008894
That so, Rambo?
>>
File: rocky-mountain-knife.png (29KB, 300x160px) Image search: [Google]
rocky-mountain-knife.png
29KB, 300x160px
this one.
it even comes with a survival kit and a decent sheath.
the bottle openener is pointless, but its a good deal.
and what could go wrong for 14.99

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XphIcQ-vxDU
>>
>>30009094
I had one of those when i was 10. Every bit as hillarious as you can imagine.
>>
>>30009162
i batoned right through the blade with my GEK 2000
>>
>>30008843
replace all your tools no, the capacity to do more tasks than normal, yes. can a well built knife effect your continued survival and comfort in the bush, 100% yes, ask most of the tribes on earth. the tracker lost the philosophy of sturdy use and became a product of aesthetic. its marginally hightened ability to chop, which is a technique that should never be used, does not compensate for its lost functionality. you shouldve bought a hatchet at that point. i do not wish to discuss the tracker
>>
>>30009373
Not just the bush. Thinking specifically of the Nepalese, and the Sammi. There's a tribe in Africa that has these all-purpose hatchets as well.

I see you're an avid fan of batoning everything under the sun.
>>
>>30009373
Also, the more tasks than normal is a myth. Tbt was meant to provide a tool for every occasion, and it just doesn't work that way. A simple knife will do the things a large knife does and better, maybe except batoning thick pieces or hacking off branches. I bought the tracker for shits and giggles - no point whatsoever in discussing what I "should have done".

Riddiculous as it is, it's still infinitely better than a bk2.
>>
>>30009468
>it's still infinitely better than a bk2.
so much nope.
>>
>>30009435
i dont baton, but i can. fearlessly. because i know what my tools are capable of
>>
>>30010651
so much denial.

Yes! Yes! Your tears are delicious. Look - your internet theories are cute and all, but completely wrong.

The myth of the die-hard, heavy duty, more capable survival knife is just that - a myth.

I have firsthand experience using the tracker, and it works. And that doesn't make it any less ridiculous. It's just a silly concept to try and make one knife that replaces all your tools, when it's neither called for, nor very smart.

And if you think the BK2 is somehow different, you are deluding yourself - it's the same damn idea of making a "more capable knife you can abuse". You're basically designing the whole knife around something that constitutes less than 1% of actual knife use.

At the same time, the BK2 is a much worse execution of that idea, because it has absolutely nothing going for it, and all the dimensions are blown up, affecting performance. It's a shorter blade for batoning, less inertia for chopping (whichever floats your boat as the wood processing method), and inferior blade profile for slicing (hint - curved blades slice better, and the tracker has more belly), plus, the saw back makes pretty effective square notches for tying things down.

And I know all this from comparing the two in person. You have any more internet theories in your imagination to go with that?
>>
>>30010955

Yeah, I can baton my 1/8'' thick O1 steel blade without worries as well. It doesn't take a quarter inch slab of 1095.
>>
>>30009468
literally what the fuck is wrong with you
>>
>>30011020
o1 is just a step above 1095, its not magical. the blade profile is what is relevant. the thickness of the spine is a consideration when? the thickness of the spine is not a detriment, it only adds to the load of the knife.

implying bigger is worse is just being whimsical, you have no actual complaints
>>
Blades themselves don't matter to me much, as long as they're made of something other than 410 stainless. any knife can be re profiled. so their factory edges can suck too.

I don't believe in one tool options, so i carry 2 fixed blades. i'll include a folder too, depending on what i'm doing and how long i'm out there.

i have a 10" for everything other than dressing and fine carving. i keep a 5" for everything related to skinning, gutting and other forms of meat prep, and the folder is for whittling and detail carving.

if i'm out innawoods i'm usually hunting. if i'm camping, i'll be carving and probably doing a bit of hunting.

Scandi grind on the 10" and folder and a hollow on the 5". these three fit all of my needs nicely. i don't like using an axe unless there are 1' thick logs to split, which is almost never.
>>
>>30011410
i never said it was magical - just saying you don't need an overbuilt prybar just so you can do "heavy work" with a knife.

The "my knife is super heavy duty so i know i can baton it if i need to" crowd is just hillarious.
>>
>>30011479
as opposed to? what are the cons to bk2 sized blades? because yes, if you are doing any type of wilderness living, i would choose the sharpened prybar over a spyderco 10/10 times. the only other choice to me is a mora or an axe. and not a hatchet. i think hatchets are frivolous and dangerous
Thread posts: 76
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.