[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm going to buy my first pistol today, to use for home

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 10

File: fuck.jpg (18KB, 320x212px) Image search: [Google]
fuck.jpg
18KB, 320x212px
I'm going to buy my first pistol today, to use for home defense and CCW if possible. I have $500. What should I look at or stay away from?
>>
Do try and find a Glock.

Don't buy a Taurus.
>>
shield
>>
File: 1462750887294.jpg (361KB, 750x750px) Image search: [Google]
1462750887294.jpg
361KB, 750x750px
>HD and CCW
You're gonna have to look towards compact-subcompact guns, buddy.
Unless you are LARGE or have the body type to conceal carry a full size with little to no problem, you'll find out real fast the nitpicky bullshit world of concealed carry a handgun.

Now with that said, cut out all the iffy manufacturers (like Taurus as >>29952731 said) and go with more reputable brands and product lines. Then go rent them out or hold and fingerfuck them at stores to see which is more comfortable to you. You're putting your life and life of loved ones on it, so there's no reason to go special snowflake just because a brand is "so mainstream".
No one gives a fuck if you're stabbed or shot with a malfunctioned Remington R51 in your hand.
You can go special snowflake after you get a good handle on shit and know a bit more on what works, doesn't work, and what needs some effort in order to work.
>>
LCR
>>
File: wm_4471533.jpg (107KB, 1200x870px) Image search: [Google]
wm_4471533.jpg
107KB, 1200x870px
You will not look at the Glocks. This is not debatable.

You will not look at some special snow-flake old/rare/sexy gun like a High Power, Luger, C96, Makarov, PPK, or 1911.

You will not look at some unnecessary operator-tier pistol like a fucking H&K USP Tactical, MK23, or any match pistols.

You are not going to look at anything from a fucking movie or video game like the Walther PPK, Smith & Wesson Model 29, Mk 23 SOCOM, or whatever gun is in that gay ass anime shit you watch.

You're going to buy a 9mm. .45 ACP is unnecessary. .380 ACP isn't worth it. 10mm and .40 S&W are weird. This is not debatable as the majority of experts agree that 9mm is the perfect round for a handgun taking into account the stopping power, availability, ease of control, price, etc.

You are going to choose between the COMPACT VARIANTS of the Sig Sauer P226, an H&K USP, or a Beretta 92.

You are going to check if you can reach all controls of the pistol comfortably, basically fingerfucking the shit out of it. Firearms are made to a standard where you almost have to man-handle it just to operate it. Don't worry about being rough with it. You will probably have to. Release the magazine, pull back the slide, and engage the safety as much as you'd like.

You will ask to dry-fire before doing so. It won't hurt the gun but most people are idiots and don't understand how center-fire pistols actually work, even while working in a fucking gun shop. They very well may flip out if you do so without asking. DESU I would just buy some 9mm snap caps from them immediately when you walk into the store before even looking at the guns, and then using them to test and dry-fire as you please.

You will do this for all of the choices I have given above and you will settle on whichever is the most comfortable for you. This is not debatable.

You will haggle and not pay the asking price under any circumstance. You will at the very least haggle the tax off of the total cost.
>>
>>29952873
This is decent advice except look at a Glock 19.

Also if you want to cc it, live in a warm climate and are anything less than Bane hueg the "COMPACT VARIANTS of the Sig Sauer P226, an H&K USP, or a Beretta 92" are not the best choice unless you want to dress around the gun, though great for home defense.
>>
>>29952932
have fun defending your house with a fucking Ruger LCP or Glock 42.
>>
>>29952873
You are a goddamn retard and there is no way he's going to haggle down the price of those guns brand new to 500 even. Maybe used, but definitely not new.

Buying a gun for CCW and HD is tough. HD you want higher capacity and concealment isn't an issue. CCW you want concealment which can limit capacity. Best of both worlds is a compact handgun, but it isn't the best at *either* world.

500 bucks is also kinda tough for a brand new sub compact. You can definitely find CCW guns for that price though, such as the S&W shield, LC9, etc.

Just stay the fuck away from Taurus and buy it in 9mm.
>>
>>29953001
right, because you either use a semi auto .50 BMG to deal with the entire regional gang or the super drugged out meth head that can take a few tank shells in the head and still come for you.
Otherwise, don't even bother with anything else because it's nerf or nuthing!
Fuck off.
>>
File: perfection.png (284KB, 352x356px) Image search: [Google]
perfection.png
284KB, 352x356px
>>29953024
you can fucking easily get a p228, usp compact, or beretta 92 compact for $500.

fuck off you goddammed glock shill I see exactly what the fuck you're insinuating. HE'S NOT BUYING A FUCKING SHITTY GLOCK YOU FUCKING SHILL! YOU'RE NOT RUINING THIS ONE! WE DON'T NEED ANOTHER GLOCK FAGGOT! OP WILL BE SMART AND HE WILL BUY A GOOD FUCKING GUN!1!
>>
>>29952873
>You are going to choose between the COMPACT VARIANTS of the Sig Sauer P226, an H&K USP, or a Beretta 92.

OP said 500 dollars. None of these handguns, except for the beretta(And that's a used beretta) clock at 500 dollars.
>>
>>29953084
>you can fucking easily get a p228, usp compact, or beretta 92 compact for $500.

Where are the proofs.

The beretta? Eh Maybe.

The Sig P228? Maybe if it's a rusted beat to shit POS, but EVERY P228 I've ever seen was well over 550 dollars.

>USP Compact
Cheapest I've ever seen was 600.
>>
Gen4 glawcks are shit.

>fawty or .50
also a meme caliber if you think you need this go for .45 but even that is stupid compared to 9mm unless you want to get on here and say meh steppin powuh

>>29952873
also all this, special snowflake firearms are for movies

I don't have the /k/ approved handgun pic but it was unironically mostly true so someone please post it
>>
>>29953084
Not him but there's no way I could get any sig besides MAYBE a 2022 for $500 new
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U97PZZUS4u0
>>
File: 600_ALL_DAY_LONG.webm (265KB, 848x346px) Image search: [Google]
600_ALL_DAY_LONG.webm
265KB, 848x346px
>>29953024
>>29953084
>>29953107
>>29953119
webm related

Beretta all day long you can get for $600.
>>
>>29953084
>glocks
>not good

Jesus Christ this bait is tired, and this is coming from someone that absolutely adores the HKUSP over glocks
>>
>>29952744
This. Love my shield. Perfect (for me) CCW. With the extended mag that comes standard it can fight above its weight class and work as a home defense gun. $350 out the door with $150 left over for ammo, extra mags, holster.
>>
File: rules.png (179KB, 850x455px) Image search: [Google]
rules.png
179KB, 850x455px
Also OP new rule if you ND then you have to throw away the gun.

This board is full of fucks who not only ND but defend it and defend accidentally shooting their house, TV, etc because "you aren't a gun owner unless you've ND'd once or twice". Do not play with your gun like a fucking child and learn how to remove the mag and clear the chamber with your eyes closed. You can operate your entire life without ever NDing once don't listen to bubbas try to tell you about muh life experience, they've just fucked up.
>>
>>29953176
>always keep the gun unloaded until ready to use

lol
>>
File: possible.png (66KB, 1707x337px) Image search: [Google]
possible.png
66KB, 1707x337px
>>29953024
>>29953084
>>29953107
>>29953119
>>29953124
>>29953163
P228 and USP Compact also possible at $600.

$600 really does seem like the tipping point between shit(AKA glock) and good.
>>
I paid 580 for my brand new p238 out the door.

I know this is the cheapest around since it was on a military base with no tax and ffl dealer fees.
>>
File: image:51048.jpg (154KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
image:51048.jpg
154KB, 1920x1080px
>>
Don't buy a full-size. They're way too big. You could rock a derringer desu. they're a great size. you don't have to worry about it. LCP is as big as i'd go.
>>
>>29953222
Is there a reason you seem to be irrationally upset at glocks, or are you just baiting, or...
>>
>>29953300
They just won't last as long and aren't as good as shills like to shill.
>>
>>29952723
Try a M&P 9c. Swapable backstraps, and being wider than the Shield can make it easier for novice shooters to use. The SIG 2022 is another good one in your price range. It is larger than the 9c, while still being concealable. I would avoid the SIG 250. The heavy DAO trigger is a pain to learn on. Used Glocks are not a bad option if you find one that is comfortable. Used USPCs are around, but the 9mm ones tend to get bought very quickly.

Do not be afraid of used guns from reputable manufacturers. Used Glocks are not a bad option if you find one that is comfortable. Used USPCs are around, but the 9mm ones tend to get bought very quickly.

Once you have had some time with your new pistol, come back and tell us all about it.
>>
>>29953163
$600 > $500.

>>29953222
This only proves my point.

You aren't finding either of those guns at 500. Period.

>>29953318
>They just won't last as long and aren't as good as shills like to shill.

I'm no glock fanboy, I have far more SIGs than glocks, but what? When have the never lasted "as long" as anything else?
>>
File: p99-left.jpg (35KB, 940x600px) Image search: [Google]
p99-left.jpg
35KB, 940x600px
>>29952723
Look for a Walther p99 or ppq.
The p99 is a very reliable and comfortable striker fire handgun thats been used for police and military everywhere.
the ppq is the same gun with a few minor differences but comes down to preference, personally i would go for a p99.
>>
>>29952805
More horrible information brought to you by /k
>>
>>29953296
>buying a gun for ants
nice try ant man
>>
>>29953828
literally why over anything else though
>>
>>29952723
How about a compact p320?
>>
File: Walther_P99_9x19mm.png (1MB, 1740x1321px) Image search: [Google]
Walther_P99_9x19mm.png
1MB, 1740x1321px
>>29953896
its about $400-$450
very reliable
has a very good track record in law enforcement
replaceable backstrap so it can fit your hand perfectly
comfortable for concealed carry
doesnt look like shit
your choice between double action, quick action, or anti stress flavors
>>
>>29954042
>doesn't look like shit
lol sorry to break it to you but...
>>
>>29953119
>>USP Compact
>Cheapest I've ever seen was 600.
http://utahgunexchange.com/ads/hk-usp-40-compact-3/
>>
>>29953255
>I paid 580 for my brand new p238 out the door.
>
>I know this is the cheapest around since it was on a military base with no tax and ffl dealer fees.
Got mine from PSA for $399 a couple years ago, bro.
>>
>>29952723
1. Shop online if you're tight on money. There are lots of guns in the $500 range that many brick-and-mortar stores will charge $575 for, and with tax, that will often exceed $600.

2. Do handle a lot of guns, but don't put a lot of stock in your first impressions if you are a gun newbie. If you have no idea what you're doing, then don't expect your impressions to be all that informative.

3. Try out the triggers (ask if you can dry fire, but don't buy the gun if you don't get a chance to dry fire it). But then again, don't put *too much* stock in your impressions of the trigger if you're a gun newbie.

4. Read reports online of reliability problems, recalls, and other issues. Learn which gun makers are good and worth their price, which ones are not worth even $1, and which ones are good values.

5. Listen to the salesman, but don't take all of his advice if it seems out of line with general consensuses on internet gun forums.

In other words: Do your research and don't just go on gut instinct. There are many people here who will recommend a first handgun to you, and there are also people who will be straight with you about what guns are "good" and what guns are junk, regardless of their preferences.
>>
>>29952731
pretty much.
>>
>>29952723

You should try to fire as many dif pistols as you can. That way you know what you're getting and will be happy with it. I got a shield for my first cc and was not happy with it. Did not feel comfortable in my large hands, wish I shot it before buying one. Glock 19 and other fire arms of that soze, that is my preferred carry size.
>>
>>29954481
>everyone says to try and fire guns before you buy

>literally nowhere to do that other than gun stores with in-door rangers and you have to rent fucking all of them and spend loads of dosh
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.