[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Legal question. I live in Wisconsin. When I was a minor, I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: 1159.jpg (21KB, 825x195px) Image search: [Google]
1159.jpg
21KB, 825x195px
Legal question.

I live in Wisconsin.

When I was a minor, I was in the special ed system(I wasn't sick or retarded, I just didn't listen.) They used restraint as punishment, one day I hit back and ended up in court; I was tossed in the delinquent wing of a mental institution for six months.

I'm now approaching 30. I haven't had mental health issues or run-ins with the law as an adult. Do the things that happened when I was a minor disqualify me from owning a firearm, or is it sealed? Google hasn't been helpful, and I figure someone here probably knows the law off the top of their head.

Is there someplace online I can run a NICS on myself? Or is the only option having a gun store do it?
>>
In Illinois at least the FOID requirement is within five years, and I can't imagine you cheeseniggers have more restrictive gun laws than we do.
>>
File: tumblr_nttir14KMl1u87v54o1_540.jpg (71KB, 540x352px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nttir14KMl1u87v54o1_540.jpg
71KB, 540x352px
>>29564170
>I can't imagine you cheeseniggers have more restrictive gun laws than we do.
I don't think this is true, actually. Wisconsin doesn't have an FOID system, OP is just interested in the 4473.

Anyway, AFAIK there is no way to run a NICS on yourself, so you'd need to get a gun store to do it. Or maybe talk to a lawyer, dunno.
>>
>>29564156
https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/identity-history-summary-checks
>>
>>29564156

You are prohibited.

"Have you ever been adjudicated mentally defective (which includes a determination by a court, board, commission, or other lawful authority that you are a danger to yourself or to others or are incompetent to manage your own affairs) OR have you ever been committed to a mental institution?"
>>
>>29564230

No way to run a NICS check without attempting to purchase, if you are denied you can be prosecuted for Felony falsified statement on a federal document, 2 counts if you submit the appeal form and are denied again.
>>
>>29565057
Wait, EVER? Even if it's only for a few days?
>>
Rather then take legal advice from /k/ the safest thing to do would be to seek out a lawyer specialized in firearms law in your state
>>
Just tell the shop you were in special education as a kid and you're not sure you'll pass NICS.
>>
>>29564156
I don't know about Wisconsin but many states seal minor records.
>>
>>29565057
No, fuckface, sealed minor records don't count.
>>
>>29565118

Yep, It says "Or have you ever been committed to a mental institution" it doesn't matter how long, This does not apply to those who checked themselves in voluntarily for help, only to those involuntarily, It sounds like you were against your will committed by a lawful authority (a court)
>>
>>29565205
Oh, no, I checked myself in to campus counseling for suicidal tendencies and they bundled me off to an emergency ward for the weekend until my parents could pick me up. Courts never got involved. Unless they go through my medical records there's nothing there.
>>
>>29565181

Some states do that, unfortunately federal trumps state law and there is no such thing as sealed when dealing with the feds, Hospitals submit the paperwork on people involuntarily committed to the NICS and they are added to the system which is what federal law states has to be done.
>>
>>29564156
You're quite articulate for a retard.

Did someone help you type this?
>>
>>29565241

If thats the case then you are likely good to go, not a lawyer, just know what the law says and have seen many many posts on various boards on people who have asked the same question.

"Committed to a Mental Institution: A formal commitment of a person to a mental institution by a court, board, commission, or other lawful authority. The term includes a commitment to a mental institution involuntarily. The term includes commitment for mental defectiveness or mental illness. It also includes commitments for other reasons, such as for drug use. The term does not include a person in a mental institution for observation or a voluntary admission to a mental institution."
>>
>>29565278
OK cool, that's how I would read that passage too.

>>29565268
Burn.
>>
Wow. So in addition to taking away kids' childhoods, often simply for disobedience, they're also trying to churn out a bunch of adults with no gun rights. Disgusting.
>>
File: images.jpg (6KB, 311x162px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
6KB, 311x162px
Hi
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.