[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Larping sounds gay is there any other sports similar to fencing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2

File: download.jpg (21KB, 465x349px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
21KB, 465x349px
Larping sounds gay is there any other sports similar to fencing that deals with sword fighting that isn't gay?
>>
>>29468478
Ass fucking is less gay.
>>
HEMA.
/thread
>>
>>29468478
HEMA.
>>
>>29468493
>>29468497
jej

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8LAPM8JXBQ&feature=player_detailpage#t=68
>>
HEMA and its asian rip offs if you consider this as a sport.
>>
Fencing.
That Asian sword fighting sport.
Running around an airsoft arena with a plastic knife
>>
>>29468702
>Running around an airsoft arena with a plastic knife

/k/ meetup when
>>
Fencing is honestly gay as fuck, the guys at the club I went to for a while were either a bunch of rich yobs who treated it like ballet or they were cringey /k/-tier autists who of course I fit in with pretty well. The problem is the autists will always lose to the ballet fags because fencing is like dancing more than fighting.
>>
>>29468478
Fencing is fun as fuck
>>
>>29468768
Modern fencing is a joke. Add in a companion dagger or a buckler and see if there is a difference.
>>
>>29468775
guess the odds really are true 1 in 10 is gay
>>
>>29468834
Does anybody know how Cold Steel's rapier is? I'd be interested in knowing if it was any good along with their buckler/dagger.
>>
>>29468848
>replicas from Cold Steel
>ever
Their tacticool stuff like the Gladius-machete is awesome but for historical styled weapons albion and such are way better
>>
>>29468848
Don't bother with cold steel's actual swords. For similar prices you can get much better

Though their sword-machetes are good
>>
>>29468834
Larper here:
Fencers are totally incapable of dealing with anything but single stick.

Eppe and foil fencers are incapable of dealing with anyone who can't be killed with a lunge. Or who can parry. You can ALWAYS tell if somebody was a foil//epee nigger.

Saber fencers do better once they have time to adjust-two of the best fighters i've seen were saber fencers.

HEMA fags are fun as hell to fight. Very explosive. The few i've met recognize the differences between gay foam slap fights and what they do very quickly, and tend to adapt fairly well.

>>29468848
Don't buy cold steel. Their swords are shit.

Their messer, in particular, was about twice the weight it should have been for the size.
>>
>>29468848
Dont, just dont.
Everything that is cheaper then 100$/€ cold steal offers is fine, but their "real" swords are nothing but trash
>>
File: sca best hobby.jpg (238KB, 1024x765px) Image search: [Google]
sca best hobby.jpg
238KB, 1024x765px
>>29468478
You might look up your local SCA chapter. Running into people headlong with a plywood shield is fun as hell. The armor is real, the weapons are rattan but you still get to coldcock people with them, and the sides in wars aren't fair -- it's whoever shows up.

If you crave greater authenticity, look up your local HEMA chapter. Or hell, do both. Plenty of folks do.
>>
>>29469672
SCA is awesome but also extremly expensive, you dump hundreds to thousands bucks into nice equipment just having parts of it destroyed at the next event
>>
>>29469610
>Saber fencers do better once they have time to adjust-two of the best fighters i've seen were saber fencers.
Sabre fencer here. Sabre's probably the least practical of all the weapons because of how the rules encourage weird things. You don't need any pressure at all to get a touch (just contact), meaning you're encouraged to make absurdly light, quick hits as opposed to solid cuts. Plus, right-of-way fucks with the practicality more, as you don't worry as much about getting hit.

If you're looking for pure practicality out of fencing, Epee is your best bet
>No right-of-way - both people hitting at same time means both get a point
>target area is literally everywhere
>have to hit with the most force to register a touch

That being said, fencing hasn't been about practicality since dueling stopped being a thing. It's just like any other sport, where the practical elements that it was historically built on are gradually lost as the meta-game changes.

Also, LARPers and HEMAfags are a bunch of autistic neckbeards.
>>
>>29468478
There's martial arts that deal with sword fighting like Kendo. There's also Escrima for knife fighting or if you just want to fight like Denzel in The Book of Eli
>>
Jousting
>>
>>29468478

I became a Highlander. But I don't recommend it, there can be only one.
>>
>>29469762
>thousands bucks into nice equipment
....wat? Newbie armor costs a couple-three hundred if you shop around. I've been fighting off and on for more than a decade, and aside from a couple straps breaking I haven't had any breaks at all.
>>
>>29469768
>Also, LARPers and HEMAfags are a bunch of autistic neckbeards.

Really, really depends on where you go and who you talk to.

I've met everything from 1% bikers, to soldiers, to wealthy as fuck programmers, to full on fatfuck losers at larp events. And that was just in one small group.

I'm an average, run of the mill office worker. People didn't figure out I larped until I came in with a fucked up foot and somebody hunted down my facebook when I wouldn't tell them what I did.

You're not going to get any practicality out of any of the forms of modern fencing. It's its own thing and bears little resemblence ot what it evovled from.

Saber fencers do better because they have to deal with cuts.

The style of "fighting" i see out of eppe/foil kids is great for a duel with single stick and no armor. It falls apart in field battles or running skirmishes.
>>
>>29469864
>Really, really depends on where you go and who you talk to.
At least in my area (college town), the neckbeards tend to gravitate towards HEMA and LARP because Fencing and Kendo are too athletic for them. At least for me, Fencing seems to be just athletic enough to keep the worst of the neckbeards away while still obscure enough to avoid having the super-competitive sports culture.

>Saber fencers do better because they have to deal with cuts
Somewhat. The problem with Sabre is that it's stopped really being the sport it was before it went electric and it's transitioned more into a "rock-paper-scissors with swords." Sure, you still have slashing, but at least in my opinion it's more like a lazier, faster version of the other two weapons.

Epee, while being far slower, definitely has the most practical elements, especially with the better Epee fencers out there. They're used to having to make real parries that actually prevent you from being hit (rather than the token taps of the other weapons that get one right-of-way), and they're used to having to protect their entire body (instead of just ignoring areas that are off-target).

Epee's also really close to what it was originally derived from - dueling. From that perspective, it's the most "practical," though it's very different from "real" combat.
>>
>>29470057
>At least in my area (college town), the neckbeards tend to gravitate towards HEMA and LARP
I can't speak for larp, because there's nothing like that near me as far as I know

But my HEMA group is fine.

The only really fat neckbeard ended up leaving when they punished every double hit with 50 push ups for both people
>>
>>29468702
>Running around an airsoft arena with a plastic knife
i always wanted to go paintballing n carry a paintbrush with me in a paint filled sheath
>>
>>29470057
Larping has a lot of variation here. different systems and communities palce a different emphasis on actual, real world skill, which encourages physical fitness.

I've seen games that essentially remove it, and, yes, FUCKING NECKBEARDS GALORE.

Then you get systems like mine where there are no "levels" or any other silly shit.

you block what you block, you hit what you hit, and offensive magic means you get, at most, a slightly better javelin which WILL get blocked if you can't throw well or run to a good position.

Add in an actual scored leauge for single combat tournaments, and a huge field battle/war being the centerpiece of the year, and the fat kids tend to want to play other games.

Half of my group is at the gym every single day. The rest are either too wounded for that shit, or too old.

I'm probably the least fit of the able bodied, and that leaves me at moderately above average.

We've got some fatbodies and autists, but they tend to either shape up or quit. Losing constantly drives them away.

I've never seen a fat hema practitioner.

>saber
The guys I know never had electric scoring. Probably explains the disconnect.
>>
>>29469610
I'm a epee fencer, I went larp ing with a group of friends once I was taking on 4 guys at once with sword&board and winning.
>>
>>29470119
or just an enormous marker
>>
>>29470147
>I've never seen a fat hema practitioner.

I have, because people see it as sword fighting and they want to do it

They do terribly, and quickly quit, or stick it out and work on improving themselves so they can actually stand a chance in sparring. It'd be a huge waste of money to go join hema and never get in shape.
>>
>>29470147
>The guys I know never had electric scoring. Probably explains the disconnect.
All the rules got all fucked with Sabre once it went over to electric. It used to be
>hitting off-target stops the bout like in foil
>hand is target area
>you had to hit hard enough for the referee to see the hit
>timing was different

And then once electric comes along
>no more hand target because that's too hard to do
>no more off-target calls because it's too hard to make electric
>no minimum required pressure to register a touch
>faster timing
And all of a sudden it went from something more cautious like Epee to the lightning-fast thing it is now. Hell, they added a rule (no crossing your feet going forwards) specifically to slow down Sabre, because at the Olympic level it was literally just two guys running at eachother as soon as they called "fence."

>fun fact - that rule change didn't stop anything. They now just dive at eachother.
>>
>>29470119
>>29470192
What about paint pens?
>>
SCA Armored Combat is a fine median between larping and HEMA. The start up cost is much cheaper as well.
>>
Itt

Gaygaygaygaygagaygaygaygaygaygay

Assfucking
>>
>>29470176
This isn't surprising.

If they're from a shit system that rewards playtime instead of skill, you can end up with entire games full of people who can't block.

If they're from a very small system, they end up learning how to fight specific people rather than how to fight opponents. You learn each others tells, flaws, and styles, and stagnate.

Odds are, you start bad and stay bad.

Most larpers are shit combatants, their games aren't set up to reward or encourage actual fighting skill, and the communities themselves don't like competition.

Epee isn't the worst thing in the world, but the majority of Epee fencers i've fought have been hobbled by the habits it teaches them.

>>29470246
You can start larping in most American systems with pocket money if you have any skills, or friends with skills.

>>29470225
My knight was a one time Olympic hopeful, but he stopped before the 90s.

Given the disparity between that and what he's described, it sounds like saber has suffered horribly. I could appreciate the art in what he used to do.

>>29470260
you
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.