[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Getting an AR next week. I've read a bunch of stuff about

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: bangity.jpg (6KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
bangity.jpg
6KB, 300x168px
Getting an AR next week. I've read a bunch of stuff about break in procedures.

Clean the bore after every shot for the first 20 rounds, and then every 20 for the next 100.

Does /k/ endorse this? Why or why not? Does it really affect accuracy all that much?

I assume it's hogwash so that companies can sell more copper solvent and cleaning patches, but that's just me. I want to know the truth.
>>
No. Just shoot it.
>>
File: russia-1_3567341b.jpg (185KB, 620x387px) Image search: [Google]
russia-1_3567341b.jpg
185KB, 620x387px
>>29457114
>>29457114
Do you really think Pepes do that irl?

No one cleans their jerry that much.
>>
>>29457114
besides the obvious dunking it in water every 100 rounds no one really cleans or does anything special
>>
>>29457129

I just realized I'm Paula Lambert.

Anyway, Dorothy, if my suspicions are correct, cleaning one's rifle that much will actually damage the barrel a little.
>>
I've never seen the benefit of "breaking in" a barrel. It's never made a difference in accuracy for me, and seems pointless.

Seriously, how is a barrel designed for that level of heat and pressure going to benefit from a quick cleaning after every round?
>>
>>29457134
Correct.

Also I initially thought that the names were all a reference to the Anonymous targeting /k/ thread.

>>29457571
Maybe it has some validity for precision rifles, but I really wouldn't worry about it for an AR.
>>
>>29457623
Not even in the case of precision rifles. Shoot the damn gun. It doesn't need a break in. The more you shoot it, the more the rifling will wear and lose accuracy.
>>
>>29457628
This.
Its a steel tube. It might fractionally expand and contract, but I see no logical reason to clean it after every round.
This is likely an old wolves tale. Hunters swearing that their rifle shot more accurately if they performed this ritual when it was new.

Breaking in boots and engines is a real thng though.
>>
>>29457628
A lot of barrel makers recommend break in procedures. And a lot of rifles shoot better after a few hundred rounds.
>>
>>29457641
>Rifle shoots better after a few hundred rounds
Funny, so does the shooter. I wonder ifcthats related?? Ive heard it also helps to burn incense near it and sacrafice a small wrench to its spirit.
>>
Is the thought here that if everyone trips no one does?
>>
>>29457654
Wrench or wench?
>>
Unless you're doing precision rifle applications where every detail matters, then you'll be fine by just shooting it until it runs gucci
>>
>>29457654
Considering I've only heard this from experienced shooters I'd say no.

Metal on metal creates wear. Firing the gun will slowly remove high spots. You don't need any special procedure for this, it just happens.

>>29457660
You tell me Luz
>>
>>29457114
Clean \ lube \ shoot it. That is it.

Unless you do not have a chrome bore
>>
>>29457114

Nah, that's excessive.

Just pour some CLP down the barrel after each shot for the first 10 rounds or so and you should be fine.

Make sure to use a lot though. The bullet will push the CLP deep into the grooves of your rifling to really lube things up.
>>
Another good newbie tip, many AR manufacturers have stopped heat-quenching their barrels in recent years to cut costs. This drastically decreases barrel life, making you have to buy a replacement more often.

Luckily you can do it yourself at home. You can strengthen your barrel steel with heat-quenching by dumping a couple mags through it to get the barrel nice and hot (or just take it off and heat it in your oven), then dipping it (with tongs, ya dip!) into the coldest water you can get. Ice water with a handful of salt in it works best.
>>
>>29457736
noooooo please. do not take this advice.
>>
>>29457736
I did this and I have a strong barrel
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.