[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/k/, I'm about to buy some land (8 acres). There is a hill

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: Meh.png (50KB, 728x594px) Image search: [Google]
Meh.png
50KB, 728x594px
/k/, I'm about to buy some land (8 acres). There is a hill behind the property, but also has some farmland that I believe has cattle. I need to build a backstop/berm and want to know what the idiot-proof method of this is going to be.

I spent 3000 hours in paint to illustrate how the property is laid out as well as the neighbors.

Wooded land illustrated stretches for miles and is hilly immediately after my property ends - the house on the top left is on the other side of a hill but I don't want anything to even get to that part of the hill. How do?
>>
No one?
>>
>>29288209
Just rent a back hoe and load up a fuck ton of dirt
>>
>>29288209
Build a log wall, put a pile of dirt dirt behind it. Looks nice while shooting and will stop pretty much anything
>>
>>29288956
Where's the dirt apposed to come from?

There would presumably be a huge hole a somewhere afterwards
>>
>>29288970
ask the farmer if you can dig him a nice big cow watering hole or take the top off a hill or two.
that or if you know someone who is good in an excavator have them shave a few feet off the back end of your land.
>>
>>29288209
You need a six foot or higher berm (the higher the better) or ten foot Jersey barriers if you can get them.

It is a good idea to have two range flags, one on each side, on poles about 1/3 of the way down range which mark the outside edge if the safe to fire zone. Make them very brightly colored and paint the poles with angled stripes In high contrast colors. The poles can be cheap wood if you want, but if you use steel, don't have any flat surface or inside angle pointing at you.

Also, build a roof over the shooting position that extends out a ways (about ten feet in front of the bench, and only seven feet high at it's lowest) so If you ND at an angle which would launch your rounds over the backstop, you will probably actually hit the roof timbers instead. Make the front most roof supports thicker than they need to be for that purpose.

The roof can get higher as you move to the rear of the structure. When it is directly over the shooting bench, you want it at least ten feet high. (Promotes air circulation, especially on hot days.) Make it extent back at least six more feet to help keep you dry if you shoot in the rain. You can reverse the pitch of the roof, if you want, behind the shooter.

A major benefit will be that covered firing positions are a bonus when the Sun is low, it is hot as fug outside, or it is raining.
>>
>>29289000
>top off a hill
Dude that's a great idea. I'm jealous of OP really wanna buy land and make a shooting range!
>>
>>29288970
I'm this guy,
>>29289035
If you rent a dozer and play around with it a bit, you will find that you can pile up a shit ton of soil by just scraping a little off of the top, for the whole length of your firing lane, and pushing it to the backstop. Finding the dirt for a berm is the easy part. You already own it. Lowering the level of the firing lane isn't a bad thing either, even if it is only a few inches.
>>
>>29289052
Or you can use railroad ties to build a [ shaped wall and just pile dirt up on the inside.
>>
>>29289035
Where the fuck do you get 10' jersey barriers?
>>
to get the dirt you can just dig down like pic related. black is old grade level, yellow is after you dig.

maybe throw a cheap sump pump down at the low end to pump rain water out when you want to shoot after it rains. that or put in a pvc culvert from the low end to somewhere it will drain to. maybe even your houses drain tile if its not too far away.
>>
File: Untitled.png (8KB, 854x430px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
8KB, 854x430px
>>29289631
forgot pic related
>>
>>29288209
Plus one on the roof thing.

Ideally you want to see no sky when shooting at the target area
>>
>>29288209
berm?

get a tractor and move some dirt into a big pile

hire someone to do it for you?
>>
i have experence construct ranges and could come out and advice on how to properly set up
>>
>>29289636
This is a good idea. Designates and isolates the range from the rest of the property. Dont forget a drain or learn to makes waxed paper boats for rainy day shooting.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.