[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

DARPA is having an international competition to see who can

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 7

DARPA is having an international competition to see who can make the best improvised weapons.

Seems to be about converting consumer and industrial products into weapons rather than modifying existing weapons.

What will /k/ build?
https://www.eiseverywhere.com//ehome/168393
>>
>>29243162

Glocknade.
>>
>>29243184
kek
>>
>>29243162
I'd love to see their reactions when they see /k/'s contraption that's 90% dragon dildos.
>>
What's the point in this? Do you get money if you win or...?
>>
>>29243162
resonating energy beam powered by car battery.
Darpa eats that kind of shit up.
>>
File: start with threaded projectile.png (13KB, 948x614px) Image search: [Google]
start with threaded projectile.png
13KB, 948x614px
>>29243162
Hmm, I have some old drawing that were beyond Kel-Tec's ability but maybe Darpa could use them.
>>
>>29243251
Of course, selected ones get $40,000 to build a demonstrator, winners presumably get ongoing work.
>>
File: theFuture.jpg (6KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
theFuture.jpg
6KB, 275x183px
maybe we should just get back down to basics here:

this is the future
>>
Whatever IED that can be made from the cheapest and least likely to get you onto a watch list everyday items.
>>
A leaf blower and a trashbag full of glitter.

You will sparkle FOR ETERNITY.
>>
Can someone let me know if I'm retarded or not? My idea is to take a thick pipe about as wide as a soda can and put a cap on one end. You drill a hole about a centimeter or so above it, and thread a spark plug into the hole. Then you take a pair of starter cables and connect one to the spark plug and its match to the distributor cap and the other wire goes from anywhere on the pipe and anywhere on the car's frame. Now, just drop in a soda can and turn the car over, and bam, mortar.
>>
>Implying I'm going to help give you ideas
That prize is mine, fuckers.
>>
>>29243162
Everything is bomb.
>>
>>29243338
You could buy like $100 worth of caps (like for cap guns) and grind up the powder to get silver fulminate
>>
>>29243162
>https://www.eiseverywhere.com//ehome/168393
Wait wait wait wait..... They're going to have a bunch of geniuses explain how to improvise new and exciting weapons from readily available supplies and show it on a webinar??!?!?!
>>
>>29243162
COTS radar emitters already exist so something like a small scale easily producible jammer would be beneficial.

Use of Maratime, Contruction, Transportation leads into surveillance side of the house that could potentially threaten operations or collection efforts. Small scale camara's, especially motion based could be used and collected at later date for intelligence gathering but non-real time. Could even wire something like a underwater Go-pro to a independent battery/storage source for long term coverage of an area from underwater and easily transitioned to land based.

Everyone immediatly thinks "IED/Bombs" but lets face it, there are people with stupid more amounts of experience than ourselves who are dealing with that shit every day. From easily available metal/chemical re-actions to basic napalm. It's been done before.

Overall think of re-producing military grade tech with commercially available parts or ways to exploit said tech with your gear.
>>
I have a really good idea but now I don't want to tell you fuckers.
>>
What do I put for the business information if I'm a student?
>>
Bees
>>
https://youtu.be/wH1GRP41_ac
Always wondered how feasible this thing was
>>
File: Robot.webm (2MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
Robot.webm
2MB, 320x240px
>>29243162
Robots!
>>
>>29243422
The webinar will probably only talk about what the competition is about and why.
>>
I was thinking of maybe a 20kg NLOS missile with electric ducted fans. It shouldn't cost more than $5000 to build which is much cheaper than existing ATGMs.
>>
>>29243162
Pipe shotgun indirect fire artillery system mounted to the bed of an 88 Chevy 1500.

The entire system for under 300 dollars.
>>
Home made mortar shooting dragon and atomically correct horse dildos loaded with gun powder
>>
shotgun camera with rail mount and battery that connects to a flip-up sight like my camcorder has. Would allow people to see around corners.
>>
Ants.
>>
DARPA does some really cool shit. My dad is a broker of sorts and he worked with them a while back. This was years ago but from what he told me they were working on a projectile net that constricts around you until you can't move at all. They tested it on a cop and he pissed himself. Which, coincidentally, makes the net disintegrate. Water soluble.

They had some spray that would make surfaces 100x slicker than ice or something crazy like that. Idea was to use them in banks and stores where robberies happen to prevent people from running away.

Some real wacky inspector gadget stuff.
>>
>>29243162
bunch of niggers
drop em off somewhere they will multiply and fuck up the place
>>
How about a huge carbon fibre stick that's like light years long, so you wiggle it at one end, and it's tearing planets in half with the other end.
Thoughts?
>>
>>29243383
So you're essentially just making a launch tube out of 3" steel pipe and using the car starter as an ignition source?
>>
>>29245609
There was once a trip called the salesman
This is something he would do off his back porch with a drop of high octane.
I miss the days of j labs posts.
>>
>>29243162
>government competition to see who can make the best bomb from Home Depot
It's a trap
>>
>>29245609
Forgot to mention that you also add a tablespoon of gasoline into the bottom before the soda can.
>>
I honestly see potential in EMP-type devices

Something that can fuck up communications in an area or that can glitch drones made from simple antenna and other household devices.
>>
>>29245751

It really isnt.

What's the worse thing that could happen?

They'll probably offer you a job. If you were a terrorist you probably woundt enter the competition in the first place
>>
>>29245286
You're an idiot.
>>
>>29245286

You wouldnt have the strength to wiggle it, and if you did it'd tear YOU appart first.

Also it would easily snap
>>
File: pipepistol.jpg (143KB, 1080x600px) Image search: [Google]
pipepistol.jpg
143KB, 1080x600px
>>
>>29245286
try graphene. weighs less, stronger, can destroy more planets. Unless it gets sucked into a black hole like it's getting flushed down a toilet and then destroys our solar system in the process
>>
>>29243162
What is the first place prize?
A JDAM delivered to my doorstep?
>>
>>29245754
If you're using a chemical propellant like that then why bother with a car starter as the ignition source; may as well just use something on batteries.
>>
>>29246174
Cause I am good at cars and not much else
>>
I have an idea, does anyone know how fast fire will travel along a stream of napalm?
>>
>>29246281
Really fast
>>
Remote-controlled ATVs loaded with napalm and an explosive charge.
>>
>>29245747
The name rings a bell. I'm just thinking about the design as an engineering problem, the design you mentioned is a little oversimplified.

If you're just using off the shelf pipe then the projectile has to be machined/manufactured to be a very close fit with the internal diameter. You'd also have to calculate the shear stress on the threads of the cap as a result of backpressure from the ignition. In addition to that you will have to consider the stress on the ignition source as it will be exposed to the force of the blast as well.
>>
>>29246731
Then just buy 30 or so spark plugs. Also steel pipe should be able to withstand the blast, right?
>>
>>29246756
It isn't so much about damaging the spark plugs as it is about not launching it out at a high velocity as well. Assuming the Cap on the end of the pipe and spark plug can both withstand the force you'd have to consider wear and tear on the threads, given the simple task of launching a soda can it'd be no problem.
>>
>>29246803
So what if instead of gasoline we used something less volatile like black powder.
>>
>>29246827
I'm just overthinking it, the propellant isn't the issue it's that someone requesting a mortar design for 2-3" projectiles is going to want the relevant forces calculated and cross referenced with the build materials.

You have to consider the volume of propellant vs the force it provides when ignited, the mass of your projectile and any loss of force due to a gap between the edge of the projectile and the inside of the pipe. Once you have a force @ ignition figured out you have to see what the tolerance of your build materials are (the pipe), once you know your pipe will withstand any force you then have to look at the stress the threads can take; the most likely point of failure is going to be where you threaded in the spark plug.
>>
>>29244583
This. Drones. With explosives. Trickiest part would be making them adequately resistant to simple electronic countermeasures.
>>
>>29246864
Sounds confusing
>>
>>29245282
They're asking for low-cost weapons. Have you seen how much the US spends on welfare?
>>
>>29243383
Congratulations, you just reinvented the potato cannon.

Hint: use the push starter from a propane grill, rather than wiring the damn thing up to your car. Christ.
>>
>>29247053
Well, there's a reason people need engineering degrees for this kind of thing. Minimum would be two years of mechanical engineering study i'd say.
>>
>>29245875
A non-nuclear EMP won't have a very long effective range. I'm kinda thinking a tube-launched EPFCG might be a more credible threat. Something you can lob via mortar in the direction of an electronic target and set off within a few meters of it.

Then again, a simple HE mortar would probably still do more damage to exposed antennas and electronic equipment so nevermind.
>>
File: 1397206336601.gif (1014KB, 337x253px) Image search: [Google]
1397206336601.gif
1014KB, 337x253px
>>29245110
>>
File: 1438615326674.jpg (3KB, 125x120px) Image search: [Google]
1438615326674.jpg
3KB, 125x120px
>>29244583
>20kg NLOS missile
>shouldn't cost more than $5000 to build
yeah good look with that, buddy
>>
>>29243162
Why not just a slam shotgun, or one with a pepperbox style of barrels?
>>
some sort of nigger rigged shape charge with magnets on it. Pay some kid $20 to slap it on a tank or lay them on the road and have them suck onto vehicles as they pass.
>>
>>29247455
>non-nuclear emp doesn't have range
>he doesn't even know about explosively pumped flux compression generators
wew lad
>>
>>29247637
>he doesn't know what EPFCG stands for
>>
Can't we just crop dust insurgents with LSD?
Thread posts: 65
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.