[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do I need to get started with archery? If I get the samick

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 7

File: image.jpg (13KB, 550x176px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
13KB, 550x176px
What do I need to get started with archery?

If I get the samick sage bow what all do I need? And what draw weight should I get?
>>
>>29169069
You'll probably want some arrows and targets
and a finger tab, at least
Depending on how quick you learn, a bracer for your forearm - string slap sucks.
>>
>>29169334
>string slap sucks
Christ, I can almost feel it.
Just having the top layer of skin shaved off in a fraction of a second.
>>
File: 1354808294588.jpg (44KB, 675x773px) Image search: [Google]
1354808294588.jpg
44KB, 675x773px
>>29169355
It took me literally one time to permanently improve my stance and remember to turn my arm out. I never want to feel that again.
My sister on the other hand, gets string slapped repeatedly and never corrects anything...
>>
>>29169334
Any particular kind of arrows, and equipment you recommend?

Can I use just gloves? Like regular mechanix gloves? And do haybells work as targets?
>>
File: finger tab.jpg (73KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
finger tab.jpg
73KB, 800x600px
>>29169389
Hay bales will definitely work as targets. My brother uses them with his compound bows.

I use cedar arrows, but I'm not that fond of them; the tips keep pulling off in my target. I'm thinking about switching to aluminum.

You could try leather gloves; I've never tried them, so I don't know how they would work. You'll just want something between your fingers and the string, especially when you're just starting out.
>>
>>29169355
At first, I got one of those full arm guards that covered the whole forearm.

After a few months, I was able to go with just one of those minimal arm guarf strips. Occasionally string slapping when I get too fatigued or when I get too impatient.

Point is, archery is all about form. When you shot a lot and put effort into it day in and day out, your whole body will eventually know when you fucked up THE very moment you release an arrow.
Then again, that's only from some self taught archery faggot.
>>
>>29169498
I just want some arrows that are good for target practice and won't break a lot on me

Should I get a quiver when I first get the bow or hold off? So far I think I need this:

Archery gloves or that minimalist 3 finger thing

Pad for string slap

Bow

12 or so arrows

Is that really all I need to get started?

I've been thinking of getting the 50lbs should I start with less or more or is that right?
>>
>>29169658
I held off on getting a quiver, it's not THAT necessary as long as you don't smash the arrow fletchings.
I honestly don't remember what my draw weight is...
>>
>>29169389
If you do use regular gloves it should be leather, and pretty thick material with smooth, rounded fingers.
>>
File: The-Hunger-Games.jpg (181KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
The-Hunger-Games.jpg
181KB, 1920x1080px
Is this the reason that archery has become so popular recently?
>>
>>29171183
That's the thing, though. It isn't popular.
Also that shit was years ago.
>>
>>29171200
Girls read the books, years later I'm sure archery is going to be almost an entirely female sport.
>>
>>29171238
Then you're an idiot. Sorry.
>>
>>29171183

Are you 12?

>who is Legolas
>>
>>29169069
Damnit David
>>
>>29171258
This explains why archery is almost an entirely gay sport now.

>>29171245
I'm sure girls will take inspiration from it to some degree. I am exaggerating a bit.
>>
Get a proper tab or 3 finger shooting gloves.
Star out with 30 pounds og draw weight, any more and your form will suffer.
Once you have proper form, you can up your draw weight.
Get carbon arrows, aluminum will bend and break in no time when you are a beginner.
I suggest spine 600-750.
>>
https://www.reddit.com/r/archery/wiki/guides/beginning
https://www.reddit.com/r/archery/wiki/guides/buying
https://www.reddit.com/r/Archery/wiki/guides/bow_types

Reddit is amazing sometimes.
>>
>>29171303
Can't believe there isn't a section on draw weight or arrows.
>>
>>29173070
Generally speaking, you want to start with a draw weight low enough you can hold draw without shaking, which is around 30 pounds or so.

Arrows need to be selected so that the combination of flexibility and length of the arrows matches up to the draw weight and length of you and your bow.
>>
>>29169389
i got wood arrows for my sage at 3rivers archery great quality and they haven't warped yet after a couple years of use, you could try to use mechanix gloves i dont see why not and ha hay bale will work as a target.
>>
>>29174047
Is 40 acceptable? I hear that's the minimum for hunting so I feel at least that would be best. (Not that I plan on hunting but you never know)

Is there an easy way to figure out my draw length without having the bow?

>>29174063
I'll look up 3 rivers but arrows are more expensive than I thought.
>>
Dinner plate size groupings at 20 yards :/
>>
>>29174243
Go to an archery store. Outfitters like Gander Mountain or Cabelas/Bass Pro can usually help you with it, too.
>>
>>29174545
I don't feel like driving an hour and a half to get to a gander or bass pro shop.

I may have a local one, I guess I can ask there or just get the bow and maybe get arrows later or do something like that.
>>
>>29169069
>buy bow that can be fired with either hand
>fire bow like this asshole
Can I learn to do this?

https://youtu.be/BEG-ly9tQGk
>>
>>29174243
minimum for hunting depends on state.
Some states don't have a minimum poundage. 30+ is generally good depending on the range you are loosing at and the game your shooting at
>>
>>29174694
How the FUCK
>>
>>29174694
I want to think that this is achievable and that this guy isnt an autist
>>
>>29174694
10 years of training, then possibly
>>
>>29174799
>>29174814
Piss low draw weight and lots of time. Not the first to do this and won't be the last.
>>
>>29174694
>>29174799
>>29174814
>>29174822
>>29174849
It's trick archery, nothing special. The guy's just got his head up his ass about what he's "discovered."
>>
>>29174822
I've only done a little looking into those who disagree with Lars. All they can say is it took a decade to learn to use a bow so fast and efficient. But if I just want to learn to shoot like he does but not as fast, is this possible?

>>29174849
What about the part of the clip where he supposedly claims that even though he isn't as strong as historical archers, he can still penetrate chainmail and underclothes?

Is he lying in saying that using traditional target techniques are inaccurate to use while moving?
>>
>>29174906
At what point does trick archery become practical archery then anon?
>nothing special
Oh fuck you its incredible, as long as he can perform it consistently which it seems like he can
Pit a "professional" archer against a guy who can shoot in split seconds while jumping off of walls in a deathmatch and we'll see
>>
>>29174923
Chain mail doesn't defend against arrows nor is it designed to, it's sort of why they had gambesons and such. That was a very slimy misrepresentation on his part.

Using a thin arrow head it is easy to even penetrate between links depending on the chain mail.
>>
>>29174694
lmao btfo

http://youtu.be/rDbqz_07dW4
>>
>>29175020
>implying i didnt fucking click on the first videos in the related video list
>implying i dont want more than one opinoin
>>
>>29174694
>Muh forgotten technique

pls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDbqz_07dW4
>>
>>29171183
I taught archery at a summer camp during the height of Hunger Games popularity. Surprisingly, I didn't notice a ton of girls wanting to try archery to be like Katniss. I always had a bunch of girl students, but none of them ever brought the series up, except to mention that the main character was a good archer in passing
>>
>>29174966
It doesn't. Trick shooting is a completely different style. It's a perfectly valid thing to do, but it's not practical for warfare or hunting.

Where he has his head up his ass is the blatantly careful editing and framing to show his best results while insisting it's a "supar-sekrit lust tekneek".
>>
>>29174966
>Someone who practices combat archery vs someone who uses a 20lb bow.

Like pitting an actual sniper against someone who shoots clay pigeons with a .22.

Give the combat archery guy some plate armor and even if that asshole gets close enough to hit him it'll bounce off like rain.
>>
>>29175080
I ran a bow shop and while that series kicked off I saw a huge increase in young women getting into the hobby.
>>
>>29174243
>40 starting out
If you can try out 40 at a store range or rental, that would be the best. I know there will be tough guys on here saying how they started out with 100 lbs and everything below is pussy, but if you go that high and have bad form, you will hurt yourself or just tire yourself out way too fast to put in practice time.

That said, I personally would hunt with a compound bow. The let off is practically built for holding an arrow at full draw while waiting for a good shot on an animal vs holding X draw weight, at full draw, which will tire even the pros out very fast.

But yes, people do still hunt with recurve. Compound is just easier in that role.

Also, NEVER dry fire a bow. Fastest way to destroy a bow, hurt you, hurt someone, or all of the above all at once.
>>
File: wpid-Photo-Nov-4-2013-940-PM.jpg (121KB, 452x556px) Image search: [Google]
wpid-Photo-Nov-4-2013-940-PM.jpg
121KB, 452x556px
>>29175213
And even with the 80+lbs English longbows they kept three different arrow heads they could quick-swap for optimum effect. Standard heads were their general use for ballistic arc mass volleys. Broadheads for injuring/killing the horses of cavalry. And they had the bodkin points specifically to do closer flat-shot anti-plate armor. Where Larsy boy fails hardest is trying to create that narrative that there was historically only one way to shoot that got lost and replaced by modern techniques.
>>
>>29175282
I'm not very interested in compound. I find the traditional bows far cooler.

Can you store a bow stringed or should you unstring it for storage by the way?
>>
>>29175282
I started on a 45, but I'd also gotten a chance to try out similarly weighted bows beforehand. Most people aren't strong enough to carry a 200 pound UPS by themselves, either, though.
>>
>>29174923
Yes he is lying, pacing in a semi circle around my target anywhere from 10 to 40yds I can put 12 arrows in a 4" circle shooting olympic.
>>
>>29175350
You can store it stringed if you shoot it regularly, but you have to remember the wooden/fiberglass limbs are going to be under great tension while strung.
Besides, if you get a non-shit stringer, the proccess is only a few seconds.
>>
>>29175439
So as a beginner should I get a stringer or just do the through the legs thing?
>>
>>29175350
Longbows should be unstrung, recurves you can reverse-string without any ill effect.
>>
File: no_stringer1.jpg (27KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
no_stringer1.jpg
27KB, 500x375px
>>29175451
Zero question here, use a stringer.
>>
>>29175471
I would love to know how he did that. It's literally impossible with proper through the leg. Unless the limb snapped which means even with a stringer it would have snapped.
>>
>>29175451
I dont worry about the leg through technique on cheap bows or if you needed to string a bow on the fly, but you run the risk of warping the limbs and when you start putting some big $ into limbs, you might as well just get a stringer.
>>
>>29175490
Yes, but a stringer doesnt have one point of the limb pointing right at your face.
>>
>>29175524
Neither does proper ttl. Proper ttl doesn't even torque the limbs like so many people claim it does.
>>
>>29175580
Well, Im fine with using it, but ill take a stringer for the more expensive limbs
>>
>>29174966
>At what point does trick archery become practical archery then anon?
When you use a bow with over 40 pound in draw weight.

And that is only for hunting, if you want to do it in war against some one who is armored you probably need to go 100 lbs or more.
>>
Go to a store, seriously. Bows have draw weights, length and some other shit that I forgot different from person to person.

Shoot once of a friend, fun as fuck and makes you feel like some jungle boy.
>>
>>29171279
>imblying legolas wasn't fucking elvish bitches every day while smoking forest weed like the hippy elves are
>gay
No son u gay
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.