[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey, /k/. Why do inert rounds cost so much? I'd like to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

File: s-l225.jpg (4KB, 161x225px) Image search: [Google]
s-l225.jpg
4KB, 161x225px
Hey, /k/. Why do inert rounds cost so much? I'd like to practice with my AR, but I don't want to use live rounds indoors. Also, I like them for 'flinch' testing when I'm shooting at the range.

Why do inert rounds cost more than live ones?
>>
>>28406008
Because they're marketed to fags who don't have a reloading press

So morons
>>
Just dry fire your AR. It's fine.

The only reasons to buy dummies are:
1. It's a rimfire firearm
2. You want to mix dummies and live rounds in your magazines to actually see how bad you're flinching.
>>
>>28406008
Because they are individually machined instead of stamped out and filled en mass. They are not mass-produced like regular ammo because they are not high demand consumables.
>>
>>28406040
3. You're an instructor and you don't want live ammo or anything looking like live ammo in the classroom.
>>
Because, in theory, once you buy them you never need to buy them again.

This creates a very difficult circumstance for most producers, because they can't rely on continuous sales to established customers. This makes mass production a bit more trickier than live rounds, which will generally always be in high demand.

As such, they have to ensure a certain amount of profit based on the expense of materials and production and a certain cost which guarantees not everyone will buy them all at once. This leads to relatively high costs, which allows them to supply less, make a reasonable profit, and allow for changes in the potential buyer population- spreading it over a longer period of time and ensuring their business can continue, albeit at lower levels than maybe would be desired. Ultimately, this prevents them from being cheap, until someone figures out a way to make them either more cheaply or deplete fast enough to warrant repeat consumers.
>>
What do these do exactly?
>>
>>28406087
Fit in the chamber
>>
>>28406087
Not go bang.

So you can use them to check feeding, use for teaching when you don't want to worry about someone following the 4 rules like they should 'cause they're new, use to see if you flinch since they feed but don't bang.

I'm not worried about the firing pin, its not 22lr, so a batch of bullet-only hot-glue-for-primer reloads would be fine, but I don't reload.
>>
>>28406087
When a hammer of a gun falls, it's designed to strike a primer which gives way and causes a bullet to be fired.

If you dry fire, without a bullet loaded in certain guns, the hammer can strike a metal face which will not give way and can, over time, cause damage to the hammer.
>>
>>28406008
Just get someone with a reloading press to load you up a bunch with dead primers

Spray paint red if you want them to look different
>>
>>28406008
Well considering a live round costs aprox. 25cents. and you use it exactly 1 time. (unless you reload)
A dummy round can be used indefinite. Thats how I look at it. I just bought some in 9mm, 9mak, and .38spcl.
They are expensive but Ill never need to buy more.
>>
>>28406115
ya, no one I know reloads 223, all fudds. If you want some 30-06, I can hook you up.
>>
>>28406114
>hammer can strike a metal face
if your hammer is striking a metal face, that means you have a chunk of metal in your chamber, and you should probably give your gun fixed. unless it's a rimfire gun, you'll just be hitting air.
>>
They're just regular rounds painted red, the special paint stops them going off. It's hard to buy but fortunately Chanel nail polish #605 does the job just as well. If I ever see an older inert round that looks a bit damaged I replace it with one of my home made ones as a favor to the owner.
>>
>>28406241
buy a cheap set of .223 dies off ebay or something and then get the fudd to load up some dummy rounds.

This one is under $25 including shipping:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lee-223-Rem-223-Rem-5-56-NATO-RGB-Full-Length-Die-Set-Lee-90871-/231794935014?hash=item35f80e04e6:g:QhYAAOSwCQNWfs9R

Once you have all the dummy rounds you want then sell the dies for what you paid for them.
>>
>>28411629
>Googled "Chanel nail polish #605"
>more like Chanel 487
come on anon, make it believable.
>>
>>28406008
You buy them once and they last like forever. A 5 pack is like $7.
>>
I see Hickok dry firing all the time so it must not be bad.

Then again why not get them to be safe, they're cheap. You should be practicing trigger pull and randomly mixing them with regular ammo (downrange ofc) to see if you flinch.
>>
>>28406008
What is using a fired case? You can pull a couple bullets from live rounds and glue them in place in the fired case. Or just take a wooded dowel and carve a bullet tip to fit in our empty case.

Naturally you should paint your new "dummy" rounds a distinct color so you dont mix them up.
>>
Is there any reason not to use a fired cartridge?
>>
>>28406241
Go on arfcom and ask, I'm sure there's some guys with presses who would load you up some for less than the new cost
>>
>>28417008
this.
Go buy handloads from some random internet person.
>>
>>28416982
no bullet makes feeding difficult. Also the already struck primer doesn't cushion the firing pin very well.
>>
File: Magpul-Bullets_3.jpg (59KB, 580x505px) Image search: [Google]
Magpul-Bullets_3.jpg
59KB, 580x505px
>>28406008
I just use these. Cheapest dummy rounds I found.

>>28406040
>The only reasons to buy dummies are:
>1. It's a rimfire firearm
Rimfire snapcaps fucking suck though, you'll break the rim after a few hammer strikes. For anyone that's reading this and interested in some rimfire snap caps, use a appropriately sized drywall anchor instead (ex. look up "The Hillman Group 370326"), they are cheaper ($7 for 100) and can take hammer strikes much better than their commercial counterpart can.
>>
File: TgmNwQp.jpg (28KB, 500x491px) Image search: [Google]
TgmNwQp.jpg
28KB, 500x491px
>>28406049
This. They're not even all that bad, can't you get like five for ten for common calibers?

I made some 12 gauge ones once.
>mfw they cycled perfectly
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.