[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm writing science fiction and I want to have some really

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 169
Thread images: 22

File: zardoz.jpg (5KB, 276x183px) Image search: [Google]
zardoz.jpg
5KB, 276x183px
I'm writing science fiction and I want to have some really original weaponry in it

blasters are cool but have been done a million times
lightsabers are cool but they are very specific

I also want it to have some western vibes with smuglers, but not to be so two sided like most
>>gudguys badguys

anyways, help me out with ideas?
>>
>>28376197
Electrolasers.

They are real for one.
>>
So, Firefly.
>>
ANTS
N
T
S
>>
>>28376197
>>28376251
a laser sword made of ants
>>
>>28376197
About actual lasers? Burn holes in shit at the speed of light.
>>
>>28376197
Whats the context?

Street thugs? Regular Infantry?
>>
Railguns.
>>
Aids dispersal mines....weapons for the looooong con.
>>
File: 1445538886645.gif (1MB, 290x200px) Image search: [Google]
1445538886645.gif
1MB, 290x200px
>>28376251
A weapon that launches canisters of ants.

You have the impact of the canister to deal direct damage and ants to pick apart the disabled victim.

Adding in something to disable multiple people so the ants can get to them as well would probably help.
>>
How about just regular, present day weapons?

You can get the sci-fi atmosphere without lazor gunzzz
>>
>>28376197
Sonic Screamers (TL9^) These lethal sonic weapons fire a beam that vibrates, heats, and even liquefies the target. Although the primary beam is an inaudible subsonic or ultrasonic frequency, the nickname comes from a tooth-jarring whine produced as a side. Particularly baroque sonic designs may even have an audio trigger, modulating the user’s battle cry or singing into an energy pulse! These are superscience weapons. One possible explanation is that high levels of pulsed power are used to create discharges between electrodes in an insulating tube. The arcs ionize the air within the tube, causing a sudden expansion that generates a pressure pulse. Rapidly cycling these pulses creates a powerful acoustic wave in the form of a traveling vortex strong enough to damage the target. [From GURPS UT 4E]
>>
>>28376197
Helical railguns.
>>
Recoil reducing guns like the Kriss Vector and their handgun prototype.
>>
>>28376279
humanity is a relatively new player, we managed to salvage some alien technology like 50 years prior and started colonizing a couple of uninhabited planets, but most of them broke off, anyways, there are some kind of army, but relatively small, they would not be effective against large numbers, imagine a BIG private army kind of thing, who go to other planets undercover, take care of business - destroy possible threats to the colonized planets - and get out of there asap.
otherwise the planets have good defence systems-I'm thinking canons - built out with a big crew
>>
>>28376197
From most-likely to least likely:
>caseless projectiles
>extremely large magazines with something like dart/flechette ammunition in either caseless or telescoping-cased ammo
>man-portable railguns
> weaponized masers
>gauss guns
>man-portable, mini-rocket/missile launchers with large magazines (think gyrojet with larger rounds carrying explosives)
>bolter-like high-caliber, high-ROF rifles that aren't dangerous on both ends via some space-age handwavium or something
>plasma grenades
Pretty much everything past that gets too close to high fantasy for my liking.
>>
Good Sci-Fi weapons

>Shit-tier bad guys and Good-guy cannon fodder
Have these use conventional firearms, albiet highly advanced from today's weapons.
>Characters with a bit more significance
Have these use bio-integrated weaponry, i.e, some sort of laser weaponry with a targeting computer wired to their brain. Could lead to some interesting standoff type situations.
>Elites
Have these use bladed weaponry (swords, axes, etc.) But with crazy ass biological enhancements that make them insane with a blade. Kinda mirrors the whole Jedi/Lightsaber thing, but hey, if it isn't broken, don't fix it.
>>
>>28376197
Thermal Bowie knives
Lever action plasma rifles
Heat-seaking Tomahawks
Cyborg horses
ocular hold out pistol (prosthetic eye gun)
Tobias bruckners Single action army, stolen from an auction
>>
>>28376393
the swords crossed my mind, maybe with an addition, that there are kibernetic alterations possible for humans, that lets their brains "work faster" and so while they still have human speed, the whole fight seems to go slow mo for them,they have time to react in the best possible manner, this might work with some katana style weaponry, maybe bionic arms

also the catch would be that only a very marginal part of the population would have compatible brains for this tech
>>
>>28376374
The AK 107 is way better than the Vector
>>
ants with swords?
>>
File: Tactical_Marlin_1894.jpg (161KB, 850x433px) Image search: [Google]
Tactical_Marlin_1894.jpg
161KB, 850x433px
>>28376397
>Lever action plasma rifles
This
>>
Wrist mounted 3d printers that shoot specialized darts of bullets of any design you want.
Using special alloy reserves that can be produced by implanted glands.
The special alloy can also coat body to form camo/invisibility layer, anti projectile/melee layer, form appendages like hand blades or tentacles.
Different implant glands produce different kinds of alloys.
>>
Shotguns that shoot invisible barriers or shields or cages
>>
Derringers that shoot lasers and double as laser knives.
>>
two stage ammunition.
first stage gets the round about 5 feet from the shooter on a flat trajectory
second stage kicks in and speeds up the slug
you can thus have the memelore 9mm recoil and the memelore 10mm power
>>
>>28376351
op here I like this the best

also do you think facts could be bent a bit so that when these guns fire, they go off with a 3-5 cm electric boom

which could also work as a bayonette substitution for close quarter combat or if the ammo runs out - also in design I imagine them to look like a shotgun with a big silecer for now
>>
Guns shooting bullets that have nano machines inside them to eat up anyone and anything they hit. The nano machines self destruct with certain conditions.
>>
sniper rifle bullets that are mind controlled towards target
>>
>>28376197
outlaw star
>>
>>28376197

Ki fueled Kung fu, science makes the ki a real thing
>>
Flash bangs that make people forget what they are doing and where they are at that time.
>>
Dragon dildo shaped rpg that explodes into smaller dragon dildos
>>
>>28376197
Rifles that take slugs of metal.
the slugs are super-heated then fired out of barrel using an electromagnet-railgun thing.
bolts of dense plasma that punch through armor and devastate soft targets.
>>
>>28376197
Steampunk bullpups or fishguns (like the l85 and Beretta arx)

Maybe even just pimped out ARs like in Chappie.
>>
>>28376197
Slings which throw giant ants
>>
>>28376197
>Acid rifle
>Something like what Dr. Manhattan uses on the Pho Noodles in Watchmen where he literally just explodes their bodies in blue plasma
>A mechanical melee weapon like that hook-rail thing in Bioshock infinite that also scoops peoples brains out
>>
>>28376197
OP you need to be worried about making your scifi gats too impractical, because even in scifi you have limits.

Only in movies where they want the technology to feel super foreign and alien do they make it crazy as fuck. It's why in District 9 they had the gravity gun and the electro-blows-you-the-fuck-up

You should think about having off-practical weapons and not straying too far from them, since the end goal is to shoot shit, but you should look into GADGETS.

In Elysium they still had guns and rail guns, but really cool automated spy drones. During the heist, that bulkhead cutting tool that cycled through the laser patterns it would instantly cut into the hull? Fucking sweet.

Another example would be in Call of Duty Advanced Warfare, some of the exosuit gadgets like being able to place a screen on a wall to see through it using harmonics / some shit. The mute charges, which suppress any sound from traveling in the general vicinity from any source, is one of the cooler things I've seen in scifi in awhile.

Imagine being on the receiving end of a mute charge. Everything just goes quieter than you've ever heard before in your life. Would be terrifying knowing shit is about to go down and you have no way of warning the person next to you.
>>
Nanotech. Self replicating nanobots to pull apart non-biomass into its respective components, and nanolathes to use said mass to build more guns, cannons, lathes, nanobots, etc.
>>
>>28376197
How about a electromagnetic scatter gun? A big magnetic shotgun you just shove metal in and it goes in one direction? Or if you want to get less high tech a tube with a small shaped charge at one end and a series of ceramic plates in front of it.
>>
Revolvers shooting wmds
>>
>>28376197
a firearm that uses electromagnetic propulsion to launch nickel tungsten rounds at ludicrous speeds coupled to a targeting mechanism that tracks eye movement. Eye piece also displays remaining ammo and finds range
>>
>>28376341
bonus points if it disrupts the liquid in the inner ear at the same time.
>>
darksabers
>>
File: rayguns3.jpg (28KB, 600x269px) Image search: [Google]
rayguns3.jpg
28KB, 600x269px
RAYGUNS
A
Y
G
U
N
S
>>
Teleportation-based weapons.
Instead of firing a projectile, these work as thus:

> 1. Laser rangefinder finds range to target
> 2. Targeting computer takes over
> 3. Teleporter teleports a 1x1x(Range + 12cm) rod about a meter up
> 4. The target now has a big hole in them
This weapon would have basically infinite armor penetration - providing you turned the dial for RANGE + X high enough - though the further away the target is, the more energy it takes to fire. This type of weapon would take a long time to recharge quick-discharge capacitors, making it unsuitable for suppressive fire weapons but great for slow-firing sniper/AT rifles.

Chaff, smoke, and some kind of anti-teleport field would counter this type of weapon.
>>
Plasma weapons. But real plasma not buzzword plasma, meaning it is hot as the sun and needs a conductor between target and shooter.

Basically, you shoot a cable and the tip cuts through literally anything.
>>
>railguns
>forcefields
>forcefield discus launchers (or some similar shit)
>lasers, ray guns, the usual (do some reading on these, there are some limitations to the uses of these weapons)
Speaking of reading up, check out dark matter and dark energy and shit like that.
>antimatter weapons (contained within a forcefield so it doesn't wreck itself?)
>grenades with heat-resistant toxin-containing shrapnel
Look up some of WH40K (Warhammer 40 000) weaponry and modify them to be less retarded, there's potential for some good fuckery there.
>ultimate weapon: hijacking asteroids from an asteroid belt and crashing them into a planet (can be done with enough propulsion) - instant doomsday device

That's all I can think of for now.
>>
File: zardoz.jpg (244KB, 1200x918px) Image search: [Google]
zardoz.jpg
244KB, 1200x918px
I am ZARDOZ!
>>
The Flinks from Seveneves are pretty cool; guns fire tiny guided bug robots that crawl around on the target until it finds a spot to inject poison/tranquilizer/electric shock.
>>
>>28378864
Vomit out guns oh great Zardoz!!!
>>
>>28376197
>>28376251
THIS
>>
>>28376301
Antman pls go
>>
What if you had a gun that had two chunks of fissile material set up on a track with one stationary and one that impacted the other on trigger pull, and then you directed the energy with MAGNETS
>>
>>28376197
>muh gudguys badguys

Go watch some spaghetti westerns for your ambiguous morality fix
>>
guns which emit energy-beams/blasts, but produce them through the use of chemical-filled cartridges, similar to modern cartridges without the actual bullet; some propellant mixture in the cartridge, when touched off, creates a particle-beam effect. The spent casing then has to be ejected, just like with a modern firearm.
>>
Go back to the classics anon, invisible heat rays.
>>
File: 1851_colt_navy_london.jpg (17KB, 640x273px) Image search: [Google]
1851_colt_navy_london.jpg
17KB, 640x273px
Everyone owns old western guns that have been retrofitted to fire lasers and caseless ammunition and other hightech shit.
>>
>>28378864
THE GUN IS GOOD; THE PENIS IS EVIL. THE GUN SHOOTS DEATH, WHICH RIDS THE WORLD OF THE PLAGUE OF BRUTALS. THE PENIS SHOOTS SEEDS, WHICH CONTINUES THE PLAGUE.
>>
>>28380998
for this>>28380956
i was actually thinking something almost like that; the beam-cartridges produce so much smoke and gunk that more complicated mechanisms are prone to failing soon, so they use more robust systems like revolvers and slide-actions.
>>
>>28380956
So, Hammer's Slammers powerguns?
>>
>>28376197
Magnetically Accelerated Slugs
MAS Guns
>>
>>28381153
i guess so, but on a small-arms scale. and they're smokey and prone to malfunction, so they use simpler mechanisms like revolvers.
>>
>>28376197
>western vibes
Lever action or revolver blasters could be an interesting thing to put in and i don't think they've been done before.
>>
Gravity weapons.

A long arm that creates a planar magnetic field an inch across so powerful it momentarily collapses the gravity well along the field's length, crushing everything in its path.

A beam weapon that creates and sustains a black hole in a containment field, then uses a magnetic field to guide the quasar at the target.
>>
>>28381257
http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Firefly
http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Space_Pirate_Captain_Herlock:_The_Endless_Odyssey_-_Outside_Legend
>>
Hollow projectiles filled with a compound that violently reacts with water (or blood) so when it hits meat, it does the damage of a regular bullet, but the chemical rapidly reacts, similar to putting lithium in water, with flames and a violent release of gas, like an injection knife
>>
>>28381200
Then why not use conventional projectile weapons
>>
>>28376197
air guns, as in super high pressure guns that release a hair thin stream of hair at such stupid high pressure that it pierces anything in it's path.
>>
>>28376611
No need for fact bending, just offer a different ammo type that becomes plasma for super close use
>>
>>28376197
Is it hard or soft sci-fi?

>must its base tech exist, or can it be entirely new creations?
>>
>>28376197
A very extraordinarily thin but strong piece of wire with a weight on the end.

Shit was so other done in 80s sci-fi that it's been forgotten about.
>>
A good story will gloss over the weapons leaving the audience to fill in the details and make assumptions. If you get into the science of the weapon or some tedious caliber debate, half the audience will get bored, the other half will have their autism triggered.
Even with star wars, there was no explanation offered for the lightsaber or the significance of the color or any mention of crystals. That all came later instead it was just "an elegant weapon" and the story focused on the story.

"Faster" was another good movie with guns. They hired a consultant to pick the guns out for the characters to symbolize them but they never mentioned it in the movie. The Rock had a large revolver and the playboy character had an hk p30. This wasn't explained but compare that to movies where they're all running around with desert eagles, it looks retarded.
An ex -army guy might carry a gun like what they issue in the military when he was in. In real life every single person who choose to carry a 92sf is because they were issued one of those pieces of shit in the army. No more mention of the gun is necessary. It's better to imply.
>>
File: Guard Stormtrooper.png (285KB, 550x696px) Image search: [Google]
Guard Stormtrooper.png
285KB, 550x696px
>>28383195
Not the OP but I'm in a slump boat in the same way.

I have my heavy armoured gauss toting heavy infantry, and line infantry, but I really don't know what to do with my Elite infantry. I kinda based them on 40k Imperial Guard Stormtroopers, but I just don't know how to make them stand out. I wanted to do Orbital drop but that's to flashy, teleporting is to dangerous to use for Spec Ops

I already have their kit and role lined out, I just don't know how to make them "unique." I just can't think of anything.
>>
>>28383195
THIS THIS THIS THIS
>>
>>28383388
Red sashes, red sashes for everybody!!
>>
>>28376376
Railguns, deffinately.
>>
>>28383388
I would gimp the line infantry.
Make those guys use limited capacity rifles because evil politicians said they would waste too much money if they could shoot a lot bullets. Then showcase at least one guy losing his brother over it and another getting his hands on the elite full auto rifle and wasting all the bullets then dying.
>>
>>28383565
That could work. The line infantry are just PDF troops, the Federation army only provides, armour, shock/ heavy/elite troops on active fronts. With the elites showing up you know shits fucked.

Do you have any idea for insertion methods for the Elite troops?
>>
I am routinely called a mad scientist.

A large bore semi-automatic that fires an EFP charge. When the charge is far enough away from the shooter or within close proximity to a target, it detonates. Button on the rifle can switch between EFP-penetrator and EFP-segmented (like claymore mine, but a dozen of smaller EFPs). Could be done by etching the EFP plate before its fired or something.

Magnesium flamethrower. Imagine a sandblaster, but it blasts magnesium powder and ignites it; range can be modified with size of magnesium particles. Hard UV protection gear not included.

Laser rifle that pulses the beam and concentrates it specifically to cause a channel of extremely hot air in an arcing line towards the target. This line of superheated air would be like a tiny, extremely elongated explosion (too weak to hurt), but it would create a channel of still, low density air. As the channel of hot air goes towards the target, a regular bullet is fired electronically, following each pulse of the laser. The target is hit with a laser, then a bullet that has maximum energy retention (due to flying in near-vacuum conditions) with no wind drift. Bullet has to be solid carbide with a copper driving band (to engage rifling) and probably a ceramic nose to stand up to the heat.

I got a couple more if anyone cares.
>>
>>28383737
As this guy >>28383388

Do you have any guass tech ideas.
Laser/beam weapons being highly experimental and bulky.
>>
>>28376197
Go read Altered Carbon and Broken Angels. Lots of great Sci Fi weapons.
>>
File: malPistol1Tb.jpg (40KB, 350x190px) Image search: [Google]
malPistol1Tb.jpg
40KB, 350x190px
>>28376197
http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/sidearmintro.php
Click the link, and read all of this. I also highly suggest you read the entir website, every page.
>>
>>28376197
a ray gun that goes wop wop wop wop when you shoot it and shoots out rings of energy.
the energy should do something to the people it hits, or not. whatever.
>>
>>28383777
Problem with trying to actually cause damage/kill with energy or electricity-driven slugs is batteries and/or power source. From an energy standpoint, making a tiny channel of heated air for a bullet to ride in is a bit like an electrolaser, except you aren't using the ionized channel to send more electricity in, you're just using it to make a bullet highway. You don't even have to keep the whole highway open, you really just have to pave a tiny little pocket ahead of the bullet so really the energy required should be relatively low (next to nothing, compared to actually trying to kill something with lasers).

Railguns and coilguns are a little tricky, main issues again being power, and when trying to harness a shitton of magnetism like that, the coils or rails have to be braced as they're trying to push each other apart or pull themselves together. Either design ends up putting stress on the frame of the device, and possibly attracting nearby metallic objects. With railguns, rail erosion is still an issue, and coilguns still have a hard time making lots of useful kinetic energy because getting the coils to push/pull at the right time is a difficult problem when you start upping the juice.

Here's one:

From a man-portable launcher, a tiny nuclear device (grenade sized) that's used in close range for explosive power, but more for long range pumped x-ray laser. The RPG-sized device sends the tiny nuclear charge up, and the shooter aims the launch tube at whatever he wants to get x-rayed to death, effective against armored targets with both the explosion and the directed beam.
>>
>>28383959
>pumped x-ray laser
Like this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Excalibur
>>
File: image_42112.jpg (275KB, 1305x892px) Image search: [Google]
image_42112.jpg
275KB, 1305x892px
>>28376251
Godammit.
>>
Small nukes. Bio weapons designed to harm only one alien race.
>>
File: puck this.gif (44KB, 355x166px) Image search: [Google]
puck this.gif
44KB, 355x166px
>>28383906
Was about to suggest that site.
>tfw no Casaba-Howitzer
>>
>>28383929
Would watch /10
This also gives me an idea, those vortex air cannons people enjoy making, filled with farts
>>
>>28384025
Bioweapons are scariest in real life.
In a movie they do it wrong though, they should make the people run from a slowly creepy cloud like when the is an ammonia gas leak like this
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sNkdAs1e7Cw
>>
File: bolas2.jpg (15KB, 231x216px) Image search: [Google]
bolas2.jpg
15KB, 231x216px
What about bolas? I was first thinking whips, but bolas are pretty unique.

Think about it. Bolas are used to bind cows and shit when they stampede. Smugglers usually just want to entangle others so they can make an escape, right?

Bolas.
>>
>>28383959
>the coils or rails have to be braced as they're trying to push each other apart or pull themselves together. Either design ends up putting stress on the frame of the device, and possibly attracting nearby metallic objects.

First, coils don't try to push each other apart like rails, they work completely differently.

Second, neither one attracts nearby metallic objects because hurr durr magnets you fucking dip.

>getting the coils to push/pull at the right time is a difficult problem when you start upping the juice.

How the fuck do you think coil guns work? They don't alternate pushing and pulling. Each coil activates in sequence and accelerates the projectile through it; when the projectile is passing through one coil it switches off and the next coil switches on. There's zero pushing. This isn't complicated at all and has nothing to do with how much power the coils have.

The ACTUAL problem with coil guns is, aside from obviously being more complicated than a conventional gun and needing to be powered, is that they have problems with energy efficiency at smaller sizes. This has nothing to do with pushing/pulling/switching and everything to do with getting the coil to impart enough force on the projectile given how much power they need.
>>
>>28384341
That's not quite right there buckaroo bit it does illustrate the point I made earlier which is that you shouldn't explain it too much, or any.
>>
>>28384341
This is why non-technical people should stick to soft sci-fi
>>
>>28384417
To be fair, in my story I'm writing I don't explain how or why gauss works. Its just deal with it, it works, no technical information because fuck you gauss weapons are a neat idea.
>>
>>28384462
I have two words for you, "resonance weapon "
>>
File: 1419205274904.png (707KB, 1162x850px) Image search: [Google]
1419205274904.png
707KB, 1162x850px
>mfw /k/ has helped me write more tonight than the past two months brainstorming alone.

I love you fucks.
>>
File: liam neeson.jpg (8KB, 376x216px) Image search: [Google]
liam neeson.jpg
8KB, 376x216px
>>28384606
Good luck. We're all counting on you.
>>
>>28384606
Good luck and merry Newyearsmas.
>>
>>28376341
Sounds similar to those voice guns in Dune
>>
>>28383388
Stealth gliders from orbit for landing, harkens back to pre dday drops but makes sense
>>
>>28384462
You don't need to explain how gauss works because it's a real thing that exists.

I don't think I've ever read a piece of contemporary military fiction that felt the need to tell me how propellant works.
>>
>>28376391
>gauss being less likely than lasers
>AND railguns
>literally just a non ferric tube wrapped in enameled wire enough times
>then rigged with a few electromagnets set in the same way as a railgun (activating in sequence timed so they pull and release the projectile)
>sabot then gets launched at 1300fps through a nigger rigged basement toy, likely far more deadly once researched
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coilgun
>>
>>28385596
>railguns have coils
>gauss rifles have sabots

A railgun is two parallel rails with an electrical current flowing through them. It needs sabot rounds because the round needs to make physical contact with the rounds to complete the circuit. There is no switching.
>>
File: 1451347490805.png (118KB, 320x508px) Image search: [Google]
1451347490805.png
118KB, 320x508px
Shoulder mounted casaba howitzer / bomb pumped laser.

Basically have a small neutron bomb in a pipe of radio opaque stuff, when it detonated 80 percent of the energy will be released in the form of gamma radiation and the rest in xray radiation. Focus this radiation through a lense into a laser and you can have a man portable weapon that can slag aircraft carriers and whose only range limit is the curvature of the earth.

We have small enough warheads now to make this feasable (the w80 is like 1 foot in diameter and like 2 feet long, with a yield of 150 kt, way more than needed, the only problem is that the explosion is only contained for like .001 seconds so the person firing it is fucked.
>>
>>28385872
Breh holy shit I just realized everybody had this idea, /k/ hive mind confirmed
>>
>>28385872

TRAITOR!!!!
>>
>Be the year 2157
>Be US Space Marine
>Finally we can get off this faggot ass Earth
>Get my brand new M4A8 carbine.

Face it folks, the US isn't going to adopt a new rifle anytime soon.
>>
>>28381325

...so, BLAME!'s GBE?
>>
Should the weapons be lethal and/or non-lethal?
Is the combat long ranged or close?
What is it modern guns do (or don't do) that you want your sci-fi weapons to do?
>>
>>28376197
magnetic guided plasma mortars
>launch a bunch of pieces of magnetic (neodymium?) gravel over an area
>get iron to gaseous temperatures
> run an ark through it
>maglev/railgun delivery system
iron is attracted to those magnetic pellets, concentrating this HOT electrically volatile shit into small flowing magnetic channels.
it would be really cool looking if you weren't busy getting burnt to cinders
>>
>>28385604
Gauss rifles are tubes
Rail guns are rail

Gauss rifles in theory shouls be more durable, and then you can bring in the concept of a chemrail (normal bullet fired into a gauss gun barrel)
>>
>>28384606
You might consider making the chemical rounds belch plasma instead of lasers. it fits better if you want a smoky, dirty weapon. As to the gauss weapons, there is no reason that the projectile couldn't be pitted or dimpled ( like a golf ball) with poison smeared into the pits.
>>
>>28389010
hypervelocity rounds make my dick diamonds
>>
>>28381524
Because they forgot how to do projectile weapons pursuing laser guns. This could be used to set up an ironic contrast. Kind of how in a Clive Cussler book, the baddies were equipped with state of the art HK sub guns, and got wrecked by civil war reenactors volley firing with muskets.
>>
>>28376197
Ok, so instead of usual lightsaber bullshit, make it so they use a ferrofluid with some fancy alien material added to make it more interesting. Its just a handle with a canister filled with the fluid, which is custom made by whatever individual is using one of these things. Then, you have it suspended within a magnetic field, forming a blade. Make them something used by everyone, so they're ubiquitous but due to their custom make, theres still some cultural importance to them. Kind of like crysknives from Dune.
>>
>teleprison pistol
Lets say teleportation exists. Lets say this occurs by turning your body into energy, then beaming you to a pod to be rematerialized.
Instead of teleporting your taget you basically "save" it to your hard drive.
This would not only be great for law keepers but bounty hunters and burglars.
>helix beam cannon
Using magnetic waves or something a laser beam is spun into a coil while its blasted.
>literal pokemon/digimon
Genetically engineer ridiculous monsters with the abilities to spit acid fire ice electricity whatever, soup it up with some bionic cyborg armour with robotic brain augmentation.
Combined with the Teleprison Pistol i first posted you could literally have an army of monsters at your hip.
>>
>>28384210
Laser Bolas from Battlestar Galactica! Fuck yeah!
>>
A weapon that dumps fusion plasma directly onto the target, using a magnetic bottle to keep the weapon itself from slagging itself in your hands.

Think a flamethrower that fires bits of the sun. Bonus points for blinding anyone nearby, incinerating anything not wearing top line thermal dampening gear, and ionising the shit out of anything that somehow survives.

Munitions that break down into self-replicating nanomachines, that then begin to consume the target, potentially allowing you to turn a starship into grey goo with a pistol, given enough time.

Weapons that nullify the Higg's field in a localised area, making anything in the radius become effectively massless and therefore inertialess, causing them to either be catapulted off into orbit like Team Rocket, or be instantaniously laminated to the ground.

Weapons that fire antiprotons, literally destroying matter itself as well as releasing a FUCKTON of energy both from the annihilation of protons and decay of the resulting free neutrons.
>>
>>28391053
Yeah but the antiproton gun wouldn't work, it could only function in a perfect vacuum, if it was used with air around it the annihilation would happen instantly. Plus, obtaining the ammo would take billions of years in order to get enough for a tiny little bang, like, firecracker sized.
>>
>>28391053
Also that is not how the higgs field works.
>>
>>28391053
>Sun Thrower
Epic idea. Promimence Cannon

>Nanite Rounds
If the robots are trained in medicine you could shoot you and your friends
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhBpwJWqMgA
>>
>>28391246
Also they did a nice job with the lights on the sound projector weapon.
>>
>>28391116

I understand it is what causes matter to have mass, in simplistic terms.

Enlighten me on my error? I am genuinely interested.
>>
>>28391470
That is true, but the reality is wayyyy more awesome. They wouldn't float off at light speed, every particle in their body would fly away separately. And the higgs field doesn't give mass, it imparts energy relative to the mass the particle has. It essentially governs the forces holding shit together.
>>
File: 003.jpg (361KB, 1200x1701px) Image search: [Google]
003.jpg
361KB, 1200x1701px
>>28376197
Here's some random 'weird'/sci-fi weapon ideas I either saw somewhere or thought would be a good idea over the years....

"urban warfare" stuff

> some kind of spring-powered wrist-mounted bayonett/zipline hook. Like a meat hook (you can use the hook for a zipline) however the outer tip of the hook's curve is pointed and can be used as a melee weapon, with a little hole for pressurized gas (like dive knives) injection once you stab someone with it. Spring powered so it can extend into a soft target in "punching" range, and also so you can retract it when you're not ziplining/stabbing

> magnetically powered 'stealth' explosive launcher; launches beer can sized sabot filled with little missiles, the launch is silent and the sabot is hard to see from far away and at night, you fire it directly above your target area, and the sabot opens above target and all the little missiles make a direct vertical strike. UI and screen to dial in targeting manually, adjust for wind, dispersal pattern.

"future black ops"

>underbarrel grenade that contains some kind of radioactive gas accompanied with optics that are tuned to detect that particular isotope's radiation; like you fire one of these through a window and you can see anything moving inside the building with your scope.

>Flashbang 2.0 DEW. No flash OR bang, but microwave pulse to stun/incapacitate soft targets and electrostatic/magnetic pulse to disrupt electronics.

>explosive nanites; remote controlled. So instead of "infiltrate X and place charges on Y" it's more of a dude outside in a van with a remote and a screen driving some silver glue through the plumbing and eventually into some kind of switchbox or conduit to shut down the enemy base defenses

also military AIs managing spaceships or bases and shit should all have cute girl holographic or robo avatars
>>
File: 1369823960991.jpg (766KB, 474x1342px) Image search: [Google]
1369823960991.jpg
766KB, 474x1342px
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_emerging_technologies#Military
Here is more than enough for inspiration.
>>
modular space ships

so like you have all these different cubes that look the same from the outside, and they can all connect to one another; and contain various spaceship things; like one cube might be crew quarters for X , one might be a generator, another is capacitor, another is hydroponics for o2/food for Y, another is a weapons control system, some are straight up solid blocks (With conduits for power/resource transfer in the linkage) for armor. and like flagships, or new outposts, etc... are all organized around a significantly larger than the other cubes "factory" cube that can manufacture more cubes. Maybe those are impossible to deploy en masse because they use some kind of extremely expensive materials or technology which allows for some kind of direct atomic conversion (basically universal constructor from deus ex) only requiring raw mass, but like the 'power source' for that thing isn't more and more fuel but like some kind of super quantum reactor or zero point energy thing (something sci-fi-ey) that is impossible to mass produce
>>
>>28376668
>implying ki isn't real
You're a dishonorable ronin
>>
Primitive ion weapons.
Energy storage and density has improved enough to the point where a significant enough amount of energy can be stored in a small projectile. Won't act as an EMP or whatever, but if it hits electronics, it'll mess them up. If it hits a living target, will likely fuck them (And any possible electronic implants they have?). Maybe there are some sort of shields in this future that it'll fry as well.

Fired by mostly conventional means, of course.
>>
>>28380801
antman pls come back.
>>
>>28385872
TRAITOR!
>>
A trapping net-gun that fires 4 electrically charged balls, forming a net of lightning or lasers or plasma or whatever you want that cuts people into nice cubes. Which are then cooked in meat sauce and eaten. The lasers make for nice searing.

A small disarming device which consists of a single rolled up tentacle that unfurls and snatches people's weapons from them.

Sap gloves with stun tasers built in.

A large epi-pen that contains either a parasite or computer virus, which either takes over an organic creature's system and turns them into an ally or hijacks any cyborgs and turn them into allies.

A freeze gun powered by the fact that ghosts are always cold to the touch, making usage of thousands of trapped souls inside of its storage tank. Like a reverse flamethrower.

A paint grenade that sprays liquid bouncy ball rubber everywhere that hardens into a candy shell, immobilizing enemies.

I'll think of something more later.
>>
>>28392324
A giant airzooka that compresses time instead of space, causing moving objects to split between where they were a few moments ago and where they will be in a few moments as the bubble passes over them, effectively causing them to suddenly stretch out until they break.

Weaponized mosquitoes/wasps that stick their needles directly into your eardrums, then implant their babies into your ears, which continuously play horrible music and suicidal voices until the victim kills themselves.
>>
>>28389010
>chemRAIL
>is a gauss rifle

Also why the fuck would you complicate the design like that? Half the point of electromagnetic weapons like railguns and gauss rifles is to eliminate the need for propellant.
>>
>>28392483
rule of cool i guess? like if you fired a chemical cannon that shoots out this like big ass shell that's flying really fast and shit, and then oh shit, it's got rocket boosters, it's going even faster, and then like the whole thing isn't even a shell in a conventional sense but a single fire railgun that's rocket propelled and has been fired out of the railgun and then it shoots its thing, etc...
>>
>>28392507
Does the giant shell shoot out other chemrails that shoot flaming plasma chainsaws for maximum area-of-effect damage?
>>
>>28392432
In the future, the growing food needs of a huge population have led to the invention of super-fertilizer, which grows plants in a matter of seconds as long as they're exposed to enough light. This has been weaponized as certain weapons spray a mix of seeds from vines, poisonous plants, and fungi spores mixed in with superfertilizer onto a victim. Upon application of a bright light on the front of the gun, the victim is trapped in a nest of rapidly growing vines, killed by the toxic plants, and then his body is decomposed into more fertilizer by the fungi.

Are any of these ideas good or should I just stop because they're too outlandish
>>
>>28392525
well, that goes without saying.

also everything's covered in skulls and flames and shit
>>
>>28392532
All way too much work for normal warfare but who cares.
>>
>>28392547
Hey, the OP said "really original weaponry"

I'm thinking of the craziest futuristic original shit I can come up with I don't think there's ever been a gun that shoots seeds at people then turns them into a living plantbed until they die from the roots digging through their heart

Weaponized mosquitoes have probably happened though don't know about the eardrums though
>>
>>28392532
assuming there isn't some kind of magical spontaneous mass generation, you would have to cover someone with a considerable amount of fertilizer to make enough plants to immobilize them. it's easier to spray say napalm, and it's probably lighter and less viscous than fertilizer (and you fertilizer would need to be very viscous to stick to someone to grow enough plants [this is assuming 100% of the mass/volume of fertilizer is turning into plants]

it'd be faster and more efficient (force multiplier/ammo carry capacity) to use a flamethrower. also the plant thing is solely effective against soft targets.

Maybe an interesting way for someone to die in a sci-fi setting? like if rebels rig the fertilizer plant with seeds and lights and the growth explosion kills everyone inside and affects surrounding areas I guess, but not a good dedicated weapon if you're going for any kind of 'realism'
>>
A gun that spews hordes of horrid golden bees that sting with a deadly poison. That way, the bee and not the shooter carries the burden of the kill.

OC do not steal
>>
>>28392578
well i proposed an ice gun powered by the fact that ghosts are always cold I'm not particularly going for realism here

let's just say that superfertilizer is an incredibly dense packaging of nutrients and minerals and shit and the host body is used for mass

if i'm allowed to get away with implementing supernatural stuff here's another one:

Scientists have managed to clone Medusa, but deem use of her full gaze too dangerous to the user as a weapon, so her ground up cloned eyeballs are put into flashbang grenades to slow down people who see them go off.

On the more plausible/realistic side:

Miniature black hole grenades. Inside is a small black hole kept in stasis, so it doesn't suck in anything. After the fuse burns out, time resumes and the little black hole sucks up everything nearby before running out of mass and radiating everything.
>>
>>28376197
Railgun or similar capable of hitting targets through walls and such, combined with hologram/LED screen 'scope' whose feed is connected to the sensors on a dragonfly sized flying scout drone controlled by your spotter.

Spotter flies drone around to find target, you use scope to target them, you hit them from wherever you are. Drone can also be used for scouting, intelligence gathering etc.

EMPs. Scary as all fuck really.

If your setting has FTL or anything it'll basically need spatial distortion capabilities as that's essentially necessary for massive objects to travel that fast. As such you could also weaponize it, have space warping as a weapon rather than projectiles/explosives/directed energy
>>
>>28392639
An aerosol gun that sprays a perfume that smells so good that anyone who smells it becomes addicted and finds that everything else, even air, smells horrible. This causes them to become incapacitated, vomit from the smell of air, then suffocate from the even worse smell of vomit. Must be used with a gas mask.
>>
>>28392697
A focused energy beam that simply plays the brown note, causing victims to violently shit themselves.
>>
>>28392697
Watch out, you're getting retarded.
>>
>>28376301
>Launch a spiked tin can
>spikes in them
>if they don't get to a doctor fast enough the ants will get hungry
>>
>>28392716
it's called running out of ideas

>>28392718
Why not a flood of termites that encase the victim in a giant termite stack and use them as food?
>>
>>28376197
Thermobaric hand grenades
>>
>>28392739
If OP's setting includes anti-gravity/artificial gravity technology:

A gun that briefly increases the gravity of its target area, crushing whatever's inside. Typically used for garbage disposal/compaction, but unfortunately weaponized.
>>
>>28392739
These ideas wouldn't be so bad if you gave a reason or situation where these would be more useful than a railgun projectile/bullet/laser.
>>
lasers that explode on impact
>>
>>28392765
Because its cool? Encasing people in a termite stack is awesome and extremely demoralizing when reinforcements come to a battlefield and see nothing but termite stacks as far as the horizon and an endless sea of low moans and screaming.

Maybe termites work better on groups of enemies. Maybe just vines instead of vines and poison ivy when you need to just keep a prisoner alive. Maybe most of them are just repurposed equipment that's been weaponized in a hurry (perhaps the ghost-powered ice gun was a refrigerator, perhaps the perfume was actually real perfume at one point but was banned for being addictive, perhaps the airzooka was used for making people taller by having them moving upwards slowly, etc)

I stand by having medusa flashbangs, however.
>>
>>28391562
While your particles would not have mass, they would still have the strong, weak and electro-magnetic forces acting on them. So they would not fly away separately.
>>
>>28392900
Which are all properties of their mass
>>
so like if wizards can learn fire magic and lightning magic and water magic etc..., in the future they should be able to learn laser magic and shit
>>
>>28392671
Needs more neural networking and less recoil.

No spotter. Sniper has neural implants that combine cognitive enhancements and remote operation of spotter drone(s). Cog enhancements allow him to focus on shooting and flying simultaneously and allow for data-link between multiple snipers and their drones.

Weapon is directed energy, neutral particle cannon or atmosphere-propagating X-ray (theoretically possible today). These weapons fire streams of subatomic particles with deep-penetrating effects, meaning they can bypass just about any form of armor and makes it barrier-blind to a degree. Even a glancing blow has the potential to fry the high-tech electronics of any enemy combatant, to say nothing of their killing power. Also more accurate, near zero delay between pulling the trigger and hitting the target, and virtually no recoil compared to electromagnetic weapons.

A hypervelocity railgun would require temendous power, so you don't need to worry about energy requirements for a particle cannon/X-ray laser any more than you would a railgun.
>>
A weapon I always thought of was a gun (conventional or anything else) that was linked with the user's nervous system. It would be connected primitively to the user via wires connecting to the arm.
>>
File: DSC00867a.jpg (82KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00867a.jpg
82KB, 1024x768px
Invent a magic harmonic crystal from some new super heavy stable element. Say 297.
A simple handgun looking device that laser ranges to the target. It then harnesses dark energy or the zero point field within a specified radius at that distance.
The result is an instantaneous disruption of matter to plasma temperatures of 20,000 K or higher. Awesome explosion of matter and burning plasma.

Sort of like a Star Trek sub space weapon that just scrambles matter in that sphere of influence. At worst with small spheres you boil the liquid in their bones and explode them from within from flame and spallling damage.
The energy to power such a device comes from the Dark Energy field not yet manipulated by known Physics/Electronics, YET...
>>
>>28377114
High power microwaves already do that and can fry the retina from localized heating in the eyeball. Now get to cracking making and ammonia based coherent laser/maser in the multi megawatt range.
>>
File: ber-3032-Tomcat.gif (55KB, 650x446px) Image search: [Google]
ber-3032-Tomcat.gif
55KB, 650x446px
>>28376943
See the Bolo tank cannon. Frozen deuterium fusion cannon shells. Close enough.
>>
womyn use blowjob to defeat enemies
>>
>>28376572
somebody need to this now
>>
File: 123623612315.jpg (63KB, 624x644px) Image search: [Google]
123623612315.jpg
63KB, 624x644px
>>28376197
>>
>>28376572
you mean BOLTERS?
Thread posts: 169
Thread images: 22

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.